Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 22:04   #931
BHPian

Re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

I have never been so confused to buy a car

Few things I have learnt:
- Discounts have gone. Please do not wait for discounts to trickle in. I heard same for Tiguan and forget discounts, even getting delivery is a pain
- Car prices have been increasing at a much faster pace. Even if there is some discount, let's say 1 year down the line, the price increase would offset discount anyways. Look at Kodiaq where they jacked up prices by 2.5 lakhs in matter of months
- Supply chain issues will probably continue till second half of 2023 (this is based on exposure I get working on similar industry) so demand will continue to be higher than supply
- We need to change mapping of brand to price range.
- Don't put all cars of brand in same bucket. CKD cars come with top notch quality usually.
- Don't just look at global brand value. Look at country specific investments and how brand has evolved to give smooth post sale experience
- And last but not least, at some point you might have to just follow the heart based on things which are important to you . No car is perfect.

On different note, insurance is one place I'm hoping we can negotiate with dealer to bring down OTR price partially(it is close to 2L for zero dep for Top end AWD spec). It is more than double to what I'm getting on some of online portals from reputed companies.
neel911 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 22:28   #932
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
It too was a Korean CKD. It was a proper SUV, with 4WD. It towered over most vehicles. It featured no ADAS, but it was a 7 seater. The 3rd row was strictly kids seats but all were upholstered with Nappa leather. The interior was subtle and elegant. On the road, it looked like a predator.

Caught in a myriad of events and bad luck, it is now a prey. It is still alive, but it is bleeding. Most probably they'll kill it.

Still streaming in select Mahindra showrooms, for a price cheaper than the Tucson 4G. The Mahindra Alturas G4.
Ooh boy, if you think the Alturas’s 3rd row was strictly for kids, wait till you see the Scorpio N’s 3rd row. I don’t think anyone above the age of 12 can fit in it.

I think the Alturas failed because it just didn’t look good enough, especially next to the fortuner and endeavour. The facelift model available internationally looks way more modern but sadly it’s not going to be launched here.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 23:14   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Not a chance. The current price difference b/w the Creta SX(O) D AT and the Tucson 4WD GLS AT is nearly 12L.

The Creta retails at 23-change whereas the Tucson retails at 35 onroad in Bengaluru.
As I mentioned earlier, Infact the difference b/w the top end Creta and top end Tucson in BLR is now 20L. Is it worth the 20L, not at all IMHO.
drhoneycake is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 23:35   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
What is that 0% AD ON price? Never heard of it before.
Looking at the base insurance price and comparing it to other price lists, this “0% Ad on” is probably how much you need to “add on” to the insurance amount in the earlier column to get zero depreciation cover on top of base cover. Not 100% sure, just an educated guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Now I see lot of posts where it is assumed that quality of Tiguan is better than Tucson. I would recommend people to check Tucson in person as I feel it is of same level. Again, I'm happy to be corrected once media reviews are out and incase this aspect is covered. Even for earlier generation Tucson, I have not seen any concerns around fit and finish.
Completely agree.

Those who aren’t familiar with the Tucson assume it’s fit and finish is a segment below the Tiguan simply because it’s a Hyundai. Unfortunately (and probably naturally) it’s mainly because of brand perception.

Fit and finish is something that isn’t listed in the specifications and feature section of a brochure. So unless you experience it first hand, it’s difficult to get an idea of it. I’ve had the old Tucson for almost a year now. It’s got all the little things that add up to give that “premium feel” that’s being talked about so much in this thread. Things like the damping in the interior switches and stalks, the sound the glovebox hatch makes when you close it, the amount of outside noise thats cut off when you close the doors, the padding on the underside of the boot floor, the “whump” and solidity with which the doors close, the soft touch dash materials at most touch points, the immaculately finished leather on the steering, the consistent and evenly spaced stitching on the seats, the organ type accelerator pedal, the generous dead pedal, the padding for your left knee in the driver footwell, the tint at the top of the windshield, etc, etc

This Hyundai CKD’s fit and finish is definitely comparable to that of a VW CKD. If a layman where to do a blind test, I’d wager that they couldn’t tell which one’s the German and which one’s the Korean.
lordrayden is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 23:54   #935
Senior - BHPian

The difference in chassis stiffness is worth noting.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 11th August 2022 at 00:15.
Chethan B G is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 04:44   #936
BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend people to check Tucson in person as I feel it is of same level. Again, I'm happy to be corrected once media reviews are out and incase this aspect is covered. Even for earlier generation Tucson, I have not seen any concerns around fit and finish.
Hey neel911, I agree on your points. People need to change their preconceptions and see both the cars in person without any bias.

Quote:
This may not be case for NCR customers where Diesel is not preferred due to 10 year ban.
I would say that majority of people in Delhi NCR still prefer diesel over petrol in case of large SUVs, since most of them don't intend to keep their vehicles for more than ~7/8 years, and so prefer more torque and fuel efficiency of a diesel.
shauryadabas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 07:23   #937
BHPian

Was following up with Kun Hyundai for the launch of the Tucson and was happy when told it was on display yesterday. Vehicle is primarily for my wife and i shall drive it as well. My wife who was initially wary about upgrading from her 2016 Creta petrol automatic, was pleasantly surprised to see the vehicle in the flesh. She loved it after sitting inside. When the SA offered a TD we took it immediately. It was a top of the line Diesel automatic with 4 wheel drive. We both drove it and found it very plush,calm and powerful. Interiors are excellent. Touch controls were actually good. New steering wheel is beautiful and feels very easy to control the vehicle in the city. It was a very short drive so couldn't judge the dynamics of the vehicle. On the whole for about 41.7 lakhs OTR vehicle is expensive but definitely worth considering. Wife is happy ����. Now I have to decide!

Last edited by slackyboy : 11th August 2022 at 07:28. Reason: Missed a word
slackyboy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 08:14   #938
BHPian

Guys here is a comparison between the new Tucson and other Suvs. Tucson has the longest wheelbase in the category.
I wonder how is the Off roading capability as compared to Compass and Meridian.

Image Source Rushlane.com
Attached Thumbnails
4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-1287ec90e1cb4530a6a0cc61e8557c31.jpeg  

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-cfccf3a8718741c68bcce8ea47ed36f4.jpeg  

viky_s is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 08:31   #939
BHPian

Even though the numbers look good on paper, not sure how it is in real world. Its pricing is a let down for sure, would have made more sense if it was a couple more lakhs cheaper.
VNair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 09:10   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viky_s View Post
Guys here is a comparison between the new Tucson and other Suvs. Tucson has the longest wheelbase in the category.
I wonder how is the Off roading capability as compared to Compass and Meridian.

Image Source Rushlane.com
IMO, offroading capability is a moot point - i think only a very small fraction of the 3000 owners from this lot will ever take it offroad. Most will simply buy it for what it is - a new premium, well equipped SUV from Hyundai. Those who want to go offroad have the Compass, Thar and even the new Scorpio-N and these are not bare bones when it comes to comfort anymore.

The Tucson will sell while the new kid of the block feeling lasts and then the sales will taper down is what I feel.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 11th August 2022 at 09:13.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 09:23   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
IMO, offroading capability is a moot point - i think only a very small fraction of the 3000 owners from this lot will ever take it offroad.
In Bangalore, the difference between AWD/non AWD is about 2L OTR(~42L v/s 44L). As rightly said, only a small percentage of people would really need AWD capabilities. However, when you are shelling out 40L+ on a car, you just want complete package. In Bangalore the kind of slush we get into due to rains and non existent roads or when you are driving in rain/slippery roads, you don't want to then repent not having shelled out that extra 4-5% to get that added capability and safety.

I'm still holding on to my booking and will wait for detailed reviews coming out tomorrow to take final decision. I keep cars for long time and ADAS is something I feel will add lot of value in terms of safety with our highway infrastructure improving really well. As captured earlier, there are limited options at this price point and nothing seems value for money

Last edited by neel911 : 11th August 2022 at 09:24.
neel911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 09:31   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
IMO, offroading capability is a moot point - i think only a very small fraction of the 3000 owners from this lot will ever take it offroad. Most will simply buy it for what it is - a new premium, well equipped SUV from Hyundai. Those who want to go offroad have the Compass, Thar and even the new Scorpio-N and these are not bare bones when it comes to comfort anymore.

The Tucson will sell while the new kid of the block feeling lasts and then the sales will taper down is what I feel.
True , but i meant normal off-roading like non paved mountain trail roads, some muck/mud trails nothing extreme. Leh/Ladhak water crossings or North east terrain. Not white Spiti types adventure.

Didn’t find much info on Hyundais H-Trac AWD system. Will have to wait for the real world driving reviews.
Also is it true Ground clearance is 183mm for the new Tucson?

As of now i am considering Jeep Meridian AWD / Xuv700 AWD (2 years lead tome)and the Tucson AWD.
Kodiaq after the price hike is out of my budget.

I still wonder why Tata didn’t offer AWD on their Safari.
As it is almost all cars have 6-12months waiting time, Tata could have made on order basis for 4x4 variant with a premium.
Old 11th August 2022, 09:37   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
The difference in chassis stiffness is worth noting.
Thanks for the video. Some observations from my side,
  • Trailhawk failing on the chassis stiffness is surprising and sad.
  • Subaru seems to be the clear winner, easily clears all the tests.
  • Haval seems to be good, not sure when GWM plans to launch in India. But it will be tough to penetrate the segment considering other options available, Chinese origin (MG was somehow able to mask it to an extent) and the mighty Fortuner.
  • Tucson interestingly cleared all the tests but with some struggle. It is the 2.0 diesel engine AWD that is sold in India now.
Meph1st0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 09:46   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Bangalore, the difference between AWD/non AWD is about 2L OTR(~42L v/s 44L). As rightly said, only a small percentage of people would really need AWD capabilities.
Personal opinion, if someone is buying a SUV or Crossover it’s better to pick AWD even expensive by couple of lakhs. Else I don’t see any benefit over sedan, which drives much better, though there are hardly any sedans these days in our market.

Last edited by sunikkat : 11th August 2022 at 09:47.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 09:48   #945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viky_s View Post
Guys here is a comparison between the new Tucson and other Suvs.
Wish they had added the power-to-weight & torque-to-weight ratios. Standalone stats many a times are misleading.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks