Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 14:50   #961
BHPian

Re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Now I see lot of posts where it is assumed that quality of Tiguan is better than Tucson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Those who aren’t familiar with the Tucson assume it’s fit and finish is a segment below the Tiguan simply because it’s a Hyundai. Unfortunately (and probably naturally) it’s mainly because of brand perception.
This Hyundai CKD’s fit and finish is definitely comparable to that of a VW CKD. If a layman where to do a blind test, I’d wager that they couldn’t tell which one’s the German and which one’s the Korean.
It's not an assumption. I had tried out the Tucson when I went to the US in 2021. And I guess there won't be any difference in the quality of US Tucson and the new Indian CKD Tucson. I am not posting blindly, I shared my thoughts because I had tried the car earlier on. Of course as you said, there is no huge difference in the interior quality of both cars but I must say that Tiguan feels ever so slightly better finished than the Tucson. And I did mention that Tucson's dash layout feels much more modern than the Tiguan's simplistic layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauryadabas View Post
Hey neel911, I agree on your points. People need to change their preconceptions and see both the cars in person without any bias.
Why would I be biased? Neither is VW paying me to promote their products nor am I interested in doing such stuff. I shared my thoughts because I tried the car in the States previous year. Please refrain from commenting such things if you don't know on what basis others are speaking on.
TechnoBloop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 15:50   #962
BHPian

Re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
It's not an assumption. I had tried out the Tucson when I went to the US in 2021. And I guess there won't be any difference in the quality of US Tucson and the new Indian CKD Tucson. I am not posting blindly, I shared my thoughts because I had tried the car earlier on.
Can you help list out specifics? This will help potential customers look at those aspects in detail when they see both cars in person before shelling out 40L+ for either of them. Again, no pun intended here and I totally agree to your earlier post that looks are subjective which we'll keep aside. When I checked both cars in person in India, I did not get that feeling(fit and finish quality) and at times we overlook minute details with limited time we get with the car in showroom.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 16:03   #963
BHPian

Overall it is such a sad situation that manufacturers (Hyundai included) cut corners in quality and safety when it comes to the Indian market. India is a price sensitive market but atleast the niche products should be provided with same standards as done internationally. Even in the luxury segment, I see feature deletions and cutting corners when the same product is launched in India? Is it in the mindset that "India me sab kuch chalta/bikta hai".
Peope are comparing the new Tucson to Alcazar, Creta etc and Hyundai is themselves to blame. Some are saying the quality is top-notch as Tucson is CKD. If this is/was manufactured in India, would Hyundai India provide the same quality? They have not done this in the past, hence the speculations on price and quality are totally valid. Hyundai's sibling Kia India has done the same with its Seltos, the international version is far superior in terms of fatures, quality and safety.
Coming back to the main topic, I feel this Tucson will sell inspite of the hefty price tag. There are no good competitive products in this segment, huge waiting period overall, cutomers will have to pay the permium demanded as this is a sellers market today !!
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 16:17   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Can you help list out specifics? This will help potential customers look at those aspects in detail when they see both cars in person before shelling out 40L+ for either of them. Again, no pun intended here and I totally agree to your earlier post that looks are subjective which we'll keep aside. When I checked both cars in person in India, I did not get that feeling(fit and finish quality) and at times we overlook minute details with limited time we get with the car in showroom.
You can refer this link for a good comparison of the two cars. Tucson is a great product but has some imp misses too at this price point as highlighted earlier on this thread. Major being no 3 zone climate control (not even blower settings control for the rear). Not sure of the suspension setups, per the brochures it says McPherson struts on the front and multi link at the rear. The Tiguan gets independent suspension for the front and independent four link axle for the rear. Also need to find out if child isofix mounts are for all 3 seats at the rear or 1.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 16:38   #965
BHPian

Quote:
If you start nitpicking the entire interior of both cars, which I did, real bad, being a car guy, you can definitely notice that the plastic quality of VW is slightly better, probably the best you can get in the segment. Some gaps were present in the inside door handles and the parts around the steering wheel of Tucson. Tucson gets a cloth-like material on the door whereas the Tiguan gets a faux leather treatment which feels much better (could be real leather, don't know about that). If you keep on nitpicking, you will get even more differences. The difference is marginal but is definitely noticeable!

Quote:
When I checked both cars in person in India, I did not get that feeling(fit and finish quality) and at times we overlook minute details with limited time we get with the car in showroom.
Exactly, we overlook these things when we have to check both cars within limited time in the showrooms, we just check the basic interior quality and the overall ambience of the cabin!

When it comes to driving, Tiguan is just unarguably better just like any other VW!

Don't be mistaken, the interiors of Tucson look very modern and the quality is also very good, it's just that since the Tiguan belongs to the same segment and also costs less when compared to the Diesel Tucson AWD, I couldn't help but compare them!

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 11th August 2022 at 16:43. Reason: Minor typing error
Old 11th August 2022, 17:19   #966
R_R
BHPian

My two cents worth on the Tiguan/Tucson comparison, considering I have been researching this for so many months now, much to my wife's disgust! Only comparing the petrols, cause I am not really interested in the diesel (thanks for nothing, NGT/SC, ). The point is that they are both excellent, though they have slight differences in terms of features. For example, the Tiguan passenger seat is manual, which I think is unfortunate for a 38L vehicle, and it gets heated instead of cooled seats. The Tucson gets power passenger seat in the higher trim, but does not have 3-zone climate control (which they offer in Europe, in their SWB version they sell there).

From what I can tell, though neither are obviously hard-core offroaders, the Tiguan's Haldex-based AWD seems slightly better than the Tucson's. The Tiguan's system seems to be able to send 100% of power to a single wheel, if needed (I am not certain of this, though). The Tiguan also seems to have better underbody protection than the Tucson.

Fit and finish, I never saw Hyundai as weak in this area, and I think the differences are, at best marginal. I wouldn't pick one over the other on this basis. Note also that internationally, they are direct competitors and in most markets, the Tucson seems to outsell the Tiguan. I do like some touches in each car, the felt-lined door bin in the Tiguan, for example, and the hidden back wiper in the Tucson. Both cars have moved towards touchscreens, unfortunately, instead of dials and switches, which is likely to be a bit of a nuisance.

These comparison's would have been quite painful, except that for me at least, the lack of a AWD petrol option in the Tucson basically rules it out. And I can't afford to buy a 40L diesel Tucson, which gets AWD, for 7-8 years. But others may be able to afford it, so that boils down to the size of one's wallet.

Still, two things about the Tiguan bother me, as my wife yells at me yet again to make a damn choice and move on: the lack of a full-sized spare tire and VW's reliability and ASS. As of now (today), with the Kodiaq also well out of my financial grasp, I am clearly opting for the Tiguan. But ultimately, that it not because I think one is better than another but because of choices Hyundai made in terms of what to offer, or not to offer, more accurately. But I still would not agree with those who suggest that the Tucson is of lesser quality than the Tiguan. I'll pick the Tiguan because not having a petrol-AWD is an absolute deal-breaker for me, though I think the two are very closely matched otherwise.
R_R is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 17:30   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
as my wife yells at me yet again to make a damn choice and move on:
Haha! Totally relate to that situation. One a lighter note hoping that high volume of Tucson sales help some discount push for other cars in the segment such as meridian and Tiguan.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 18:03   #968
BHPian

Quote:
In Bangalore the kind of slush we get into due to rains and non existent roads or when you are driving in rain/slippery roads, you don't want to then repent not having shelled out that extra 4-5% to get that added capability and safety.
I'm from Mumbai and it is no better here. I'm curious though, are the other 2WD SUVs with massive power and torque incapable of going through urban slush (if that's a term ). I have seen even Alto's managing it pretty well. I feel we overhype the need for AWDs. Off-roading IMO is driving through sand dunes or absolute gravel and mud where there is no trace of tar. I drive a C5 and I have driven through the aforementioned urban slush and even sand. The powerful engine coupled with the multi terrain modes work like a charm and I have never felt the need for a 4x4. I wouldn't push my luck driving it on a desert or snow though.
Frusciante is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 19:06   #969
BHPian

Since I am in the market for a big crossover and have been trying to get my hands on Kodiaq, today I had the opportunity to touch and feel both the cars. Please bear in mind, I haven’t driven any of them just yet, I feel Tucson is more flashy, comfortable, decently spacious for three at the back, not great in terms of boot and Kodiaq is spacious, luxurious / premium and elegant. My family fell in love with Kodiaq in a blink of an eye, so much so that they don’t even want to check anything else. Tucson felt more like a 30 lakh car OTR to me IMHO. So far I am going ahead with Kodiaq but will wait for team Bhp official review of Tucson.
blurust is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 01:52   #970
Senior - BHPian

The Indian Tuscon has been apparently stripped off a number of features standard in the overseas variants in the name of cost cutting.
Almost 44 lacs OTR Bangalore is too high to cut the following:
1 . Alloy wheels design
2. Shift by wire
3. Auto opening Boot
4. Storage space on side of the leg
5. Wireless Android Auto
6. Hybrids missing
7. Heated ORVMs
8. Sun Blinds
9. 19" Wheels
10. Sunglass Holder
11 . Cooled Glovebox
12. Driver Roof Handle
13. Boot organizer by spare wheel
14. Tight spot parking assistance
15. Designer exhaust
16. Flow design element along shift by wire
console
17. Empty buttons on gear console
18. Paddle shifters
19. Coat hooks
20. Warning light on door

On a positive note, the Tuscon atleast has proper 3 point seat belt and proper adjustable headrest for the rear middle passenger.
Jeep removed even these in the Meridian and replaced them with 2 point seatbelt and a small stub in the name of headrest for the rear mid occupant

Everyone takes Indian buyers for granted.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 12th August 2022 at 02:03.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 05:40   #971
BHPian

I don't know how this decision making happens in these companies. Are the features taken off from the products as unilateral decisions from headquarters? Or do Indian management have any say in the matter?

If it is the former, then, it has to do with the same kind of thinking that goes into designing/configuring inferior products for India (there are enough ncap stories) because of the lax regulatory perception or the developing country tag.

If it is the latter, ie the Indian managers, then I can imagine the stereotypical persona of appraisal focussed Indian managers ("jaichand" types) who are too eager to please the top bosses, and often suggest/support such cost optimizing measures.

Ultimately, we end up getting products that are below par when compared with the world class products. I fail to understand such thinking for products in this price segment.

I feel that this has to do with the cultures of the organization first, before anything else. So that is one of the key filters in my purchasing decision.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 12th August 2022 at 05:46.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 07:21   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The Indian Tuscon has been apparently stripped off a number of features standard in the overseas variants in the name of cost cutting.
Almost 44 lacs OTR Bangalore is too high to cut the following:
1 . Alloy wheels design
2. Shift by wire
3. Auto opening Boot
4. Storage space on side of the leg
5. Wireless Android Auto
6. Hybrids missing
7. Heated ORVMs
8. Sun Blinds
9. 19" Wheels
10. Sunglass Holder
11 . Cooled Glovebox
12. Driver Roof Handle
13. Boot organizer by spare wheel
14. Tight spot parking assistance
15. Designer exhaust
16. Flow design element along shift by wire
console
17. Empty buttons on gear console
18. Paddle shifters
19. Coat hooks
20. Warning light on door

On a positive note, the Tuscon atleast has proper 3 point seat belt and proper adjustable headrest for the rear middle passenger.
Jeep removed even these in the Meridian and replaced them with 2 point seatbelt and a small stub in the name of headrest for the rear mid occupant

Interesting observations regarding the Tucson but spending about 10 lac or so less for the Alcazar gives the buyer some of the more useful features mentioned in this list, like cooled glovebox, sunglass holder, rear sun shades, roof handle, paddle shifters and the petrol Alcazar and Tucson share the same engine/gearbox.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 12th August 2022 at 07:27.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 09:04   #973
BHPian

Quote:
While you are right that many features have been stripped for the Indian market, wanted to make some corrections/remarks:

Quote:
3. Auto opening Boot
The Signature variants most certainly have the electrically operated (and auto opening) boot. Its listed in the brochure too.

Quote:
5. Wireless Android Auto
This is something that is missing globally too. If you check any reviews from US/UK, you will see that there too Wired AA/ACP is available with 10.25" screens on the higher trims and Wireless AA/ACP isavailable with 8" screens on the lower trims. This is a hardware limitation of the larger screen system seen on many Hyundai/Kia family cars like the Sonet, Seltos, Creta.

Quote:
9. 19" Wheels
The largest wheel size that the Tucson comes with globally are 19 inchers. Typically (not always) international manufacturers dont offer the highest wheel size in India for obvious reasons like ride quality and potential for damage to the wheels with low profile tyres on our moon-surface roads.

Quote:
10. Sunglass Holder
Again, this is the same in the global version. So its not a "stripped for India" thing. In fact, even Hyundai's flagship SUV the Palisade doesn't come with a dedicated sun-glass holder as far as I know.

Quote:
12. Driver Roof Handle
This is partially true. While the US spec car comes with a driver side roof handle, I've seen UK reviews of the top-spec car and it didn't have that.

Quote:
19. Coat hooks
There is definitely a coat hook at the rear, I've seen it in the India walk-around videos. Though its not a retractable coat hook like the old Tucson.
lordrayden is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 09:18   #974
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
While you are right that many features have been stripped for the Indian market, wanted to make some corrections/remarks:

Again, this is the same in the global version. So its not a "stripped for India" thing. In fact, even Hyundai's flagship SUV the Palisade doesn't come with a dedicated sun-glass holder as far as I know.
These are useful points to note, in fact I was going to do it myself, so fully agree with the points above by Lordrayden. In fact, there are a lot of differences between the LWB version and SWB versions, including that SWB versions get 3 zone a/c. But unlike LWB sold in other markets, India's version comes with retractable ORVMs, which is a nice and essential addition. As far as sun-glass holder is concerned, I think most cars with panoramic sunroofs don't seem to have it because the space is taken up by controls for the sunroof.

Having said this, the OP has a valid and important observation about the missing shift-by-wire gear. I can't understand it, because globally, only the lowest trims come without it. Not sure of Hyundai's calculation here for the Indian market.
Old 12th August 2022, 09:19   #975
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the list is accurate.
Auto open boot feature is provided. Hyundai calls it as smart power tailgate.
Heated ORVMs should exist, even in earlier models it existed but was not mentioned in the brochure. It gets turned on automatically when the rear defogger is turned on.
Sun-glass holder, coat hooks, cooled glove box are low hanging fruits, will be very surprised if Hyundai removes these specifically for India in the name of cost-cutting.
Have attached the brochure for reference.

Quote:
On a positive note, the Tuscon at least has proper 3 point seat belt and proper adjustable headrest for the rear middle passenger.
Jeep removed even these in the Meridian and replaced them with 2 point seat-belt and a small stub in the name of headrest for the rear mid occupant

Not providing three-point seat belt is another new low for Jeep. This after the Jeep compass failing chassis rigidity test (4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh). Surprised that our official review does not mention the 2-point seatbelt.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tucson_suv_brochure-2.pdf (1.85 MB, 59 views)

Last edited by Meph1st0 : 12th August 2022 at 09:20.
Meph1st0 is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks