Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2021, 13:55   #61
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it

One of the best budget sedans available in the market. Despite being on sale for over a decade, it aged pretty well and that's the reason I opted for a Rapid 1.0 TSI as my first car in July 2020. Having driven the VW Polo 1.2 MPI for almost a decade since college days, it was but natural that I opted to stay in the family and opt for a logical upgrade which in my case was a Rapid TSI. Despite initial apprehensions about a small turbo engine doing duty in a heavy tank like car, I went ahead with my purchase last year and am happy to report that I'm fully satisfied with my choice.

Drove it for around 2350kms this January Delhi-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Delhi on some fantastic roads of Rajasthan and came back mighty impressed with the excellent 1.0 TSI motor. Handling was ofcourse excellent.
I doubt I'll ever be able to opt for any car outside the VAG family now. VW/Skoda has literally spoilt us junkies.

Hope the Slavia will prove to be a worthy successor to the Rapid.
sanyog26 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 08:04   #62
BHPian

Just now on a trip to goa in my 2017 Rapid TDI DSG Style LE. Have completed 23k kms only. I have taken the extended warranty. Replaced the michelin xm2 last week with UC6 continental.
What a car! I can easily say its best Sedan in its segment. Good milage, build, safety, handling, power! I plan to use it for atleast 2lakh kms ! There is no good replacement or upgrade in 20Lakh price bracket for me as I do not like the big hatchbacks ( pseudo SUVs).
Rapid will always have special place in my heart! Always..
Attaching a pic of my car !
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-ceb842eb041a45cfbbe7300a1f002fad.jpeg  

Last edited by Brigadier : 8th November 2021 at 08:05.
Brigadier is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid removed from brand's official site

Skoda has removed the Rapid from its official website, as it gears up to launch its replacement, the Slavia, next month.

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-2020skodarapidtsi01-1.jpg

If you are in the market for a Rapid, the only option you have is the Rapid Matte edition. It was launched in October last year at a price of Rs 11.99 lakh (ex-showroom).

The Rapid is powered by a 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder, turbo-petrol engine that produces 108 BHP and 174 Nm. The engine is mated to either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission.

The upcoming Slavia is slightly larger than the Rapid. It is based on the MQB-A0-IN platform, which it shares with the Kushaq.

The new mid-size sedan is powered by a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine producing 113 BHP and 178 Nm and a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol motor that makes 148 BHP and 250 Nm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic and a 7-speed DSG.
TusharK is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:53   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Skoda Rapid removed from brand's official site
Farewell to a legend! It will always remain as one of the best all rounders of the segment.

A car that actually lived up to its name in the 1.6/1.5 TDI and 1.0 TSI versions. Truly Rapid.

Kind of sad to read this news.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th February 2022 at 16:57. Reason: A word: loved -> lived
PrasannaDhana is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 16:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

Indeed, such a great car.
Rapid has aged really well - still the best looking and most sorted car under 20 lakhs for me.
sunikkat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:24   #66
BHPian

I'm glad I drove home a TSI in MT. It's such a pleasure to hold the flat bottom wheel and the fun doubles when you are on an open highway or along the curves!

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-gptempdownload-9.jpg
TurboGuy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:55   #67
BHPian

Ah the end of an Era I believe we are less likely to see sturdy cars like the Rapid / Vento! All new offerings come with a bunch of build & quality issues and niggles that often mess up the ownership experience from the same Brand.

The modernization of cars have taken a toll on the classics like these, with the larger population attracted towards the Hatches on steroids' (Pseudo SUVs) Sedan are dying a slow death.

The Rapid TSI was a cool attempt of having a modern engine in a classic body and boy that worked! Good to see the Rapid having a good last lap and finish on a high

P.S: I still love the new cars, its just that we have good memories with the older ones
Sabrish is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 19:02   #68
BHPian

This is an emotional moment for me, Rapid is not just a car for me, rather it was the link between me and this forum, the first ever exhaustive car review I ever saw on any platform, be it print or internet was the review of Skoda Rapid back in 2011 on our very own TeamBHP. I was just blown away by the attention to details by the mods and now almost 10years later I am happy to confess that I’m addicted to TeamBHP

Coming to the car itself:

The name Rapid was used for the first time in 1930s and then in 1980s for a rear wheel drive coupe.

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-fa73c6807c0047a395e23af905d54d63.jpeg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-8bd68de056cd4a7aacfccd1e5121a2c8.jpeg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-551f635edb084ec8b791c31b7c3121f9.jpeg

The current generation was resurrected in 2011 on PQ25 platform. Skoda Rapid (code named-SK251) was launched in my birthday month-November 2011 and I had a huge crush on the car, I was 16 at that time and I would click pictures of every Rapid I would spot, never thought that I would drive one someday. Our car ownership journey started back in 2004 with a humble Alto and till now we have owned 6 cars and by far the best car we have ever owned is our Rapid, everyone in my family just loves the car, it’s fast, its safe, its frugal, it’s comfortable, it’s reliable so far and the DSG, oh boy! It’s sad that they don’t make such cars anymore at this price point, if I want a genuine upgrade from my Rapid, the only way would be a lateral upgrade or the no brainer Octavia. I would also agree that Skoda has milked the platform for too long but I don’t have any problem as long as it’s doing its job and at times better than newer competition.

I was going through all the Official reviews of the car throughout its iteration and I have gathered some interesting facts -

2011:
Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-6d3ba04e797540d492e5abe22e57db27.jpeg
  • Car was launched in November and it did total sales of 957 in the first month
  • December sales were 1296
  • Car was launched at 6.75-9.19 L ex showroom
  • Engines on offer - EA111 1.6MPI 105PS/153NM paired with 5MT/6AT and 1.6 TDI 105PS/250NM with 5MT

2012:
  • The year 2012 saw the highest dispatch at 22,162 units
  • If my number crunching abilities are to be trusted, the highest ever monthly dispatch recorded for Rapid is at 3,246 cars in the month of June

2014:

Name:  7EB00877F86B421381272B48D3014B68.jpeg
Views: 440
Size:  118.9 KB
  • June 2014 saw the total dispatch figures of 44,440 Rapids
  • December 2014 Rapid crossed the 50k milestone at 50,897 units
  • DSG was introduced for the very first time and 1.5 TDi made its debut due to taxation and stuff

2016:

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-a4b11f2211804abaabaeb63a9c85b53d.jpeg
  • Received the most significant update on lines of the new Skoda design language and made the car a baby Octavia
  • Car was available for 8.28-12.67 L ex-showroom

2018:
  • In the last quarter Rapid received few additions like rear charging socket, Projector on ambition variant, 16 alloys for Style, rear camera, RCD 340G plus from ambition onwards, pre-existing wiring harness for rear camera in Ambition variant which made installation of camera a plug and play affair

2020:

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-c37d5a13847945d2804c556d726e5923.jpeg
  • Final goodbye to the torque king 1.5tdi 110PS/250NM 5MT/7AT
  • EA 211 1.0 TSi monster made its debut with 110PS/175NM paired to 6MT & 6AT
  • Car was available for 7.49-11.79L ex-showroom

2021:
  • Lowest ever dispatch of Rapid was mere 22 units in November (barring covid times)
  • Last month of dispatch was December with 158 units

2022:
  • January saw 00 dispatches
  • Officially the car has been discontinued

Rapid has been the most successful offering from the Czech company in our Indian soil which stood the test of the time, harsh road conditions and lethal market competition. At 1,18,266 Rapids sold in India, it indeed is a success for the brand and also the owners who got to experience the German engineering at affordable costs. With this note, I would like to bid bye to the lovely Skoda Rapid and I really hope the successor Slavia delivers on the expectations of us loyal Skoda enthusiasts.

Some pictures of my beauty~

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-img_20211227_202957.jpg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-img_20220121_1629292.jpg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-img_20220121_162937.jpg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-img_20211016_164200.jpg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-img_20220121_163830.jpg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-img_20220121_163329.jpg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-img_20220112_150352.jpg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-img_20211016_1418052.jpg

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th February 2022 at 21:30. Reason: Back to back posts. As requested, merged.
sachin_cs is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 23:46   #69
BHPian

End of an era for the VFM sedans (assuming Vento's end is near too) that provided precise quality, fit and finish, real-time on road safety, handling and dynamics under one roof. The latest European budget cars are a step back in the quality already as reported by many Kushaq users.

Just like Skoda Fabia, Skoda Rapid will enjoy the cult in the years to come. Extremely sad to read this news.
Sunderdeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:19   #70
BHPian

Feels great to be a part of a community where such cars are cherished. Generally, the typical layman is indifferent to what exactly such cars mean for us.

For me personally, this news is bitter-sweet. The plus side is the fact that we get new models and enter a new era for this company. I think even the enthusiasts were tired of the current line-up, afterall the VAG group did essentially offer the same models for more than a decade. The new engine options too sound really promising, especially the 1.5 TSI, which should be a rocket.

On the downside, the new cars seem to have a different DNA as compared to the ones that know and expect VAG cars to have. This topic has been reiterated countless times on the forum so won't elaborate on that on this thread again. Enthusiasts seem to leaning towards the Rapid/Vento again. Essentially, I think we were expecting new models to be to the standards of the New Octavia and the New Kodiaq but sadly that is not the case.

Yet, I remain positive and hopeful for the Slavia and Virtus!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 10:09   #71
BHPian

Farewell to one of the best drivers car.
See you in new avatar as Slavia soon.

Glad that i got one of the gem 1.6TDI in my garage.

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-whatsapp-image-20220210-10.05.26-am.jpeg

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-whatsapp-image-20220210-10.04.47-am.jpeg
ash22 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 11:33   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderdeep View Post
End of an era for the VFM sedans (assuming Vento's end is near too) that provided precise quality, fit and finish, real-time on road safety, handling and dynamics under one roof.
I absolutely agree with you on this front and more I see these cars the greater respect I have for them, lets keep aside the Rapid and focus on the Polo, the first 2010 batch especially, IIRC the comfortline trim in 1.2MPi MT trim costed around 5lakh INR in my city then and man what a machine it was, ok the performance wasn't explosive neither was it supremely refined but the quality, build, fit finish everything was spot on. I mean who offered a laser welded body shell with underbody and full wheel arch claddings, high quality rubber pads and a tank like built (missing in some cars of today which cost even 3-4 times more!) and how can anybody forget about the paint, the Polo was painted with the same 360 degree Ro-Dip and 7stage painting process used by Audi! These were just some virtues but man I can sing praises of that car all day long but still I won't be bored, such was the car.

Quote:
The latest European budget cars are a step back in the quality already as reported by many Kushaq users.
It actually feels extremely bad not just the customer who feels shortchanged that he has been offered less for more but we brand loyalists also feel extremely sad when this happens as we became fanboys of these brands only since we loved because of their child-like passion in making cars and offering the taste of their huge R&D at a price we can afford but when the OEMs sway away from these virtues and just try to maximise their margin just like other OEMs, it hurts even more than a knife stab(almost reminds me of Julius Caesar's saying when he was stabbed by his best friend-"Et tu Brute?!"), I know that you are a diehard VAG fan, the amount of love and passion you have for VW cars, the same amount of love and respect I had for Honda once upon a time and I ranked them even higher than the Quality Revolutionary Toyota in my books because of the fact that when they were at their prime in India they gave as much attention to detail and QC control in their cars like Toyota but unlike the latter which made most of their cars vanilla plain Honda spiced up their cars with snazzy styling, futuristic interiors, fun handling and dynamics and of course their extremely rev-happy and energetic VTEC motors.

All was going good until and unless Honda in around 2014 changed their priorities to maximise profits and embrace on cutting costs openly, all their newer cars had innumerable QC issues and even the parts quality had gone down the drain, to be very honest some of their offerings were even worse than budget leader Suzuki, though VAG hasn't stooped to that level now but the early signs and symptoms of India specific 2.0 strategy is sending a chill down my spine since I never want to see VAG at the same level where Honda India is as of now since time and again one thing has been established and is written on the wall that Indians love budget-friendly cars but absolutely hate those cars which scream budget, we have a long long list of such cars, don't we and at the other end of the spectrum we have those cars as well which did cut corners but at those places where only discerning few would look at not the common people, those cars turned out to be a smashing hit.

I really hope that VAG takes note of the same and makes necessary changes in their product planning and make such cars which at least live up to their brand name which has been made by them after a lot of time, money, blood and sweat, just don't let that tarnish away for some margin and market share. I really don't want to see VAG in the shoes of Honda India or the quitters like Ford and GM.

Quote:
Just like Skoda Fabia, Skoda Rapid will enjoy the cult in the years to come. Extremely sad to read this news.
Definitely, those PQ25 cars are just at an altogether different level, yes they are archaic, yes they are heavy but man they are so good whether it be structural solidity, driving dynamics or the overall built quality. Especially cars like Polo 1.6TDi, Jetta 2.0TDi and even the Yeti TDi had and will have a special place in the hearts of Indian enthusiasts for the time to come, same goes for cars like Chevrolet Cruze, Honda Civic 1.8VTEC, Ford Fiesta 1.6S among others. Sorry if the posts had gone long but it has been from the bottom of the heart of a car crazy person and a diehard fan of Honda and VAG.

Last edited by Tony2298 : 10th February 2022 at 11:36. Reason: Quoting only relevant details of the post for easier readability. Thanks!
Tony2298 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 11:34   #73
BHPian

Certainly end of an Era. Rapid & Vento were wonderful built cars.

1.6 TDi engine is by far the most free revving diesel i have driven. You could literally throw the car around. Fortunate to have had one at home. Though it was uncle's. Have driven it many a times. We had it for 7 years and clocked 1,90,000 kms. No major repairs/claims.

1.5 TDi, though it had same power and torque figures, did not deliver them as freely as the 1.6 TDi. And the also became a lot gruffy. Sounded like a truck.

Now, both my Uncle and me have the 1.5 TDi DSG since 2017, his is a Rapid and i went for the Vento. Rapid was more sportier to drive, but i kind of liked the softer ride of the Vento. Another reason to choose Vento over Rapid was the dealer. VW dealer was much better than Skoda in Madurai, TN. I have clocked 1,03,000 kms and he has done 70,000 kms and both are in pristine condition and we're very happy with them. We intend them to keep them for a further 2-3 years.

I am currently drooling over the Slavia. Will wait and watch it's reviews and for Skoda to sort out the initial niggles. Will look to buy a replacement in 2024. Slavia/Virtus 1.5 TSi AT is high on my list.
svmvale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 15:21   #74

Farewell to one of the few multi faceted cars, that can pull like a locomotive if pushed; or can give mind boggling average if driven sedately. The on-road manners and handling are just superb. Proud to say that i am an owner of the first cousin, the Vento for the last 12 years and love every moment of it.

Hope the Slavia fills the big shoes of the Rapid.
AutomobFan30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 15:29   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuy View Post
It's such a pleasure to hold the flat bottom wheel and the fun doubles when you are on an open highway or along the curves!
Indeed it is. The pleasure is all the more thanks to the interesting mods that both of us have got done on our cars. Every drive is something to eagerly look forward to

Having owned multiple VWAG cars over the last decade, I'm a fan for life.

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-2012-vento-1.6-tdi-highline.jpg
My 2012 Vento 1.6 TDi Highline, sold in 2019 August with 70K KMs on the odo. This picture was taken on the immediate next day after I sold the car to a good friend. He still has the car (odo has crossed 90K KMs now) and it still looks as immaculate as it did on the day it left the showroom.

Skoda Rapid’s production has ended, Slavia to replace it-2019-octavia-1.8-tsi-lk-2020-polo-1.0-tsi-highline.jpg

My current two favourites. 2019 Octavia 1.8 TSi L&K with 13K KMs on the odo, and 2020 Polo 1.0 TSi MT Highline+ with a shade over 14.5K on the odo.

We also have a 2012 Rapid 1.6 MPi Elegance+, with the odo now around 50K KMs. I do not use the car a lot, but still do enjoy my time behind the wheel every time I drive it.

Last edited by VivekCherian : 10th February 2022 at 15:53.
VivekCherian is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed