Team-BHP - the difference between indian n foreign mercs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   the difference between indian n foreign mercs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2440-difference-between-indian-n-foreign-mercs.html)

Can someone please tell me why is there such a vast difference in the power n acceleration between mercedes cars assembled in india and those assembled in germany etc.Has it got something to do with the engine chip or is it due to the engines being tuned for economy?Also can sum1 plz tell me where to get this problem fixed in bombay?

Byram,

Most of the cars sold in India are detuned/lower compression ratios to match with the abnormally lower octane fuel. You wont believe this, but these localized cars actually are "conditioned" to accept even adulterated fuel. Also cars sold in India are tuned for the driveability factor due to our bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions as opposed to the autobahns/freeways in those countries.

Its not a case only with Mercedes Benz, its the same story with almost all car makers. For e.g. the Honda City Vtec in thailand used to pump out 115/125 bhp (somewhere around this figure) while the Indian spec is rated at 106 bhp.

GTO

Kk GTO thanx for the information.any idea where i can get a e240 re-tuned for power without it spoilin the engine due to the poor quality fuel?plz let me know u can mail me directly.

Ha, Theres only one name I can think of - DOMNIC

Hey Dom, are ya listening?

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (byramshroff @ April 06 2004,00:07)]Kk GTO thanx for the information.any idea where i can get a e240 re-tuned for power without it spoilin the engine due to the poor quality fuel?plz let me know u can mail me directly.

The simplest way to get more power is to start using a higher octane fuel. (93 octane if available...)

The knock sensors in the engine will automatically adjust the timing and mix of the engine for more power as the fuel is now less likely to pre-ignite.

Dom, i was reading on a palio board that they disconnect the battery for some time before putting in higher octane coz this resets the ecu/knock sensor values i guess, it this neccessary? shouldnt the car just keep updating the knock sensor values/info on its own?

cheers
Rehaan

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The simplest way to get more power is to start using a higher octane fuel. (93 octane if available...)

The knock sensors in the engine will automatically adjust the timing and mix of the engine for more power as the fuel is now less likely to pre-ignite.

Higher Octane will surely improve the performance, but only marginally. No ways will it compensate for the lowered compression ratios

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Dom, i was reading on a palio board that they disconnect the battery for some time before putting in higher octane coz this resets the ecu/knock sensor values i guess, it this neccessary? shouldnt the car just keep updating the knock sensor values/info on its own?

Correct, Even the K&N filter that I installed in my Accord came with a manual that said the battery must be disconnected for atleast 15 minutes. So that the ECM will reset itself and accomodate for the increased airflow automatically.

GTO

So is it like , you put higher octane fuel , then run the engine and then stop and disconnect the battery for the ECU to adjust and resent ?

Nope...Disconnect, put in fuel or modifications..then running

GTO

Another aspect could be the tyre ratings - remember the lousy JK's on the first W124's

To have it Tuned u need to connect it to the Star Diagnostics System. Its with all MB Workshops although they wont let u confiqure ure car. Ahura Car Care does all my Cars. I think hes the best there is. Take it to him and he will let u see the Diagnostics and change all the settings for the Engine. Although be warned its an EXPENSIVE Work. I'm not sure what the cost is but none the less.

To have it Tuned u need to connect it to the Star Diagnostics System. Its with all MB Workshops although they wont let u confiqure ure car. Ahura Car Care does all my Cars. I think hes the best there is. Take it to him and he will let u see the Diagnostics and change all the settings for the Engine. Although be warned its an EXPENSIVE Work. I'm not sure what the cost is but none the less.

GTO thanks

Thanx a lot for the info everyone.I'll make sure that hi octane fuel is used and i'm puttin new tubeless tyres too.R gowani,is this ahura car care guy the guy in bandra that karan goes to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 06 2004,10:18)]Correct, Even the K&N filter that I installed in my Accord came with a manual that said the battery must be disconnected for atleast 15 minutes. So that the ECM will reset itself and accomodate for the increased airflow automatically.

Thanks for the info GTO,

I wonder if it is required to reset the ECU for more immediate results (assuming the ECU plays with timing settings at a specific long interval), or the ECU just finalizes all the settings when powered up for the first time!...

Ahura is at Byculla...... their work seems to be of good quality, their prices are definitely of very HIGH quality, and my opinion of them is of very low quality......

cheers
Rehaan

My guess is that the ECU does take its time to reach the optimum settings level, after considering temperature, driving conditions, driving style, quality of air/fuel and various other factors.

GTO