Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2021, 07:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What's the price difference between normal diesel and this ?
The price difference is 3.5 rupees. This works out slightly cheaper than adding cetane boosters
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 10:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Good move!

The IOCL website is pathetic though. I am in Nashik right now and planning to drive back to Pune today. Was thinking of tanking up at Reliance but thought of trying this. Unfortunately the website doesn’t mention any pumps in Nashik. I enquired with 2 Indian Oil Fuel Stations and they have no clue about this.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:04   #18
BHPian

Filled XtraGreen on the way back to Gurgaon on Yamuna Expressway. Even if it reduces emissions by ~5% should be worth it for ~3.5 Rs price difference. Haven't done a like to like comparison for fuel economy though.
Would love to switch over completely if I can find it available nearby in the city.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Some will look at Shell diesel, instead.
How different is Shell diesel ?

I've seen the fuels with additive but never understood the nitty gritty details. Back in 2014 used Shell petrol for Thunderbird but it didn't make much of difference.

Now in 2021 with BS6 rolled out higher cetane and improved fuel efficiency all makes more sense with my addiction to diesel torque and the prevailing prices.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
I'll others answer this one.

I dont use Shell (refer my prev posts) - My Tata's dont like Shell diesel. And this one from IOC is just out - yet to fill it and try it out.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 11:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post

I've seen the fuels with additive but never understood the nitty gritty details. Back in 2014 used Shell petrol for Thunderbird but it didn't make much of difference.

Now in 2021 with BS6 rolled out higher cetane and improved fuel efficiency all makes more sense with my addiction to diesel torque and the prevailing prices.
If you are referring to regular Shell, Xtragreen should have higher Cetane value and should be cleaner too. I don't know if Xtragreen is equivalent to Vpower though.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I don't know if Xtragreen is equivalent to Vpower though.
IOC XtraGreen is the only one with increase in Cetane number. All other premium diesels have additives which clean the injectors.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 13:11   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea if this is available at the IOCL BKC COCO Pump? Somehow that pump is the slowest to get anything, their head office is right opposite it and yet it doesn't even have XP95 when I checked recently.
Old 8th November 2021, 15:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I dont use Shell (refer my prev posts) - My Tata's dont like Shell diesel. And this one from IOC is just out - yet to fill it and try it out.
Sorry if I am asking to repeat, but any specific issues?

I had a strange experience with shell, dont know if thats a placebo effect, but my Tigor made more noise and harshness was pronounced when I tried a tankfull of Shell diesel for the first time in four years ownership last month.

Regular diesel with Liquimoly Super Diesel Additive just works fine. I am eager to try this though.
Old 8th November 2021, 15:28   #25
BHPian

I hope this is not the 5-7% bio diesel blend (plus improvement additives) from Used Cooking Oil (UCO) which OMCs have been pushing for since last year.

If it was, it should have been cheaper than HSD.
Old 8th November 2021, 15:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my newbie question, what is the cetane number of current normal diesel on sale.

Unlike petrol's octane number, I haven't seen the cetane number ever. This is the first thread that prompted that question
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 15:29   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Any idea if this is available at the IOCL BKC COCO Pump?.
Check the local COCO outlets. They are likely to get it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
I had a strange experience with shell, dont know if thats a placebo effect,...
Engine feels softer (not smoother) .. kind of like less power. No gain in FE. So why pay more ? Experience is over the past 13-14 years ever since Shell came in. So not a one-off thing.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 17:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
...but my Tigor made more noise and harshness was pronounced when I tried a tankfull of Shell diesel
This used to be the case with two of our diesel cars in the family (BS4). Shell regular diesel was fine but their V-Power version probably had something that would not lubricate the cylinders enough (cleaning detergents maybe?). The owner manuals did not recommend using diesel with cleaning additives either, so switched to our regular IOC/BPCL/HP.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 18:09   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
The green branding is much too similar to the petrol one. Even the dispensers are shared. Can foresee absent-minded mistakes happening
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 17:54   #30
BHPian

Hope other PSU Oil Marketing companies come with higher cetane diesel products as well and make it a norm/common thing in the market. It will be a great alternative to people who depend on shell V power which actually is just an overpriced additive based diesel. Shell can now take a cue from this and introduce either a higher cetane diesel or reduce the price of Vpower

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks