Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2021, 23:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Quote:
On the auspicious occasion of Dhanteras, IndianOil presented two unique customer-centric offerings to delight IndianOil patrons across the country. The company rolled out the cleaner and greener diesel XtraGreen to 126 fuel stations across 63 cities in the country and also launched IndianOil's fuel gift card, One4U.

The rollout of XtraGreen and the launch of One4U was done in the presence of Mr Shrikant Madhav Vaidya, Chairman and other senior officials of IndianOil, including Dr S S V Ramakumar, Director (Research & Development and Petrochemical and Business Development) and Mr V Satish Kumar, Director (Marketing).

Chairman Mr Vaidya commenced the sale of XtraGreen at an IndianOil fuel station at Agra. Speaking during the launch of this green fuel offering, Chairman, IndianOil said, "XtraGreen is in sync with the Hon'ble Prime Minister's commitment to steer India towards a greener tomorrow, constant reduction of carbon emission and gradual achievement of the net-zero goal by 2070. This also underlines IndianOil's unwavering commitment to provide niche and specialized solutions to the environmentally sensitive market segments while continuously enhancing the user experience".

IndianOil's R&D has provided the proprietary chemical formulation in the form of Modified DMFA (Diesel Multi-Functional Additive), which is used for XtraGreen. This fuel offers several benefits over regular Diesel, including improved Fuel Economy by 5 to 6%, reduced Carbon Dioxide emissions (130 grams of CO2 for every litre of Diesel), reduced Carbon Monoxide emission by 5.29%, reduced NOx emissions by 4.99%, increased Cetane Number by 5 points, improved Lubricity, reduced Engine Noise and excellent Corrosion protection (NACE rating A).
https://iocl.com/NewsDetails/59294

I am happy to see the cetane number increase by 5 points. This will help in better FE, performance, and smoother engine. Good news indeed as I was using cetane boosters and it really makes a difference.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th November 2021 at 23:58.
Dr.Naren is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 00:16   #2
BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Strangely enough didn't find this in COCO petrol pump at Hyderabad. How much small it be, It's definitely a step in right direction. How much is the price difference? Unless the fleet operator adopt it widely there will be hardly any impact on ground.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 08:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

The description looks very similar to what additives like System-D and IOC's ADDON-D have mentioned. It is possible that IOC is just adding this additive or a variation of it, to the diesel.

I will try it out.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 10:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Strangely enough didn't find this in COCO petrol pump at Hyderabad. How much small it be, It's definitely a step in right direction. How much is the price difference? Unless the fleet operator adopt it widely there will be hardly any impact on ground.
IOC hasn't mentioned the price. The price and details of bunks who sell this diesel is also not updated on IOC app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The description looks very similar to what additives like System-D and IOC's ADDON-D have mentioned. It is possible that IOC is just adding this additive or a variation of it, to the diesel.
Those are additives which clean the injectors. This new diesel has improvement in cetane number
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 11:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is this recommended for BS6 diesels?

Could the extra additives affect DPF performance?
Old 6th November 2021, 11:35   #6
MSC
BHPian

This should be good for people who use the fuel additives in their diesel cars.
Rather than measuring from bottle or emptying the pouch in tank, it's very much easier to directly have the fuel mixed with additives.
Only thing left is to see it's price. If its price matches that of diesel plus additional additives, I see no reason why this version should not be better one. Also, increased cetane number will also be helpful.
Waiting for the further details on its availability now. There is nothing on the availability on either the app or on web.
MSC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 11:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Those are additives which clean the injectors. This new diesel has improvement in cetane number
IOCL is (possibly) using the same formula as is/was in Elf's EMDFA additive. Check their packaging. The packaging of the additive by Elf also said - improves Cetane value.

Do check my old posts in the additives thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Rather than measuring from bottle or emptying the pouch in tank, it's very much easier to directly have the fuel mixed with additives..
The only minor downside to this approach is - no control on amount of additive. With ADDON-D or System-D, I use 0.75ml per litre instead of the recommended 1 ml per litre

Last edited by condor : 6th November 2021 at 11:57.
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
improved Fuel Economy by 5 to 6%, reduced Carbon Dioxide emissions (130 grams of CO2 for every litre of Diesel), reduced Carbon Monoxide emission by 5.29%, reduced NOx emissions by 4.99%, increased Cetane Number by 5 points, improved Lubricity, reduced Engine Noise and excellent Corrosion protection
Considering prevailing diesel prices of Rs. 80/litre, 5% improvement in FE translates to Rs. 4 saving per litre and added benefits.

So, if XtraGreen is priced even Rs. 4~6 higher than regular diesel, it's good deal.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 18:23   #9
BHPian

I had seen this listed at a pump in Mangaluru on IOCL site about a week back, but I didn't have much of an idea what it was.

This is the pump:
Name:  IOCL.png
Views: 3779
Size:  132.4 KB

Looks like it is ~Rs.3.50/- currently over the regular diesel which would be totally worth it if the FE is 5-6% more as per their claim. Any performance or refinement improvements would be added bonus.

I had talked crap about IOCL many times in the past for not launching any high octane fuel when BPCL had Speed97 since ages and HPCL had power99 since a few years, but they responded in the best manner by launching not just the overpriced XP100, but the XP95 at an affordable premium and at a large number of pumps and not just in big cities - which IMO makes it the best improvement in the fuel scene in our country ever.
This new change in the high cetane diesel scene is another good innovation from their side (They had talked about launching 95 RON petrol and high cetane diesel sometime last year).
Respect+ to IOCL for bringing these positive changes in spite of being a PSU.
Private cos like Shell should be ashamed for milking their V-Power brand name by selling the same stuff with cleaning agents at atrocious prices.

Last edited by theredliner : 6th November 2021 at 18:27.
theredliner is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 18:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
So, if XtraGreen is priced even Rs. 4~6 higher than regular diesel, it's good deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Looks like it is ~Rs.3.50/- currently over the regular diesel which would be totally worth it if the FE is 5-6% more as per their claim. Any performance or refinement improvements would be added bonus.
Will have to test and check if the premium of Rs 3.50 is worth it. And at first & rough calculation, I get a difference of 15 ps per km in my running cost as compared to using separate additive.

Unless there is a noticeable improvement in FE first, not many will be willing to try it out. Some will look at Shell diesel, instead.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 20:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I had seen this listed at a pump in Mangaluru on IOCL site about a week back, but I didn't have much of an idea what it was.
Nice. I am in Mangalore right now, will check this bunk out
Old 6th November 2021, 20:54   #12
BHPian

Where can I check as to in which all fuel stations this has been rolled out? Couldn't find it on app.
Old 6th November 2021, 22:03   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Filled XtraGreen Diesel at Mangalore

Price: 87.73

IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India-img_20211106_205923.jpg

I have driven 50+ km and very impressed with this new diesel. Engine smoothness was very evident and my 200+ HP S-Cross 1.6 was revving sweet. Will update the FE after few days

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 6th November 2021 at 22:06.
Dr.Naren is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 23:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Price: 87.73
I have driven 50+ km and very impressed with this new diesel. Engine smoothness was very evident and my 200+ HP S-Cross 1.6 was revving sweet. Will update the FE after few days
Noticed this at fuel pump after Surathkal(Mangala Fuel station), wanted to try but attendant mentioned they are yet to offer/start. Guess this will be lot more beneficial for a BS6 diesel.
Old 7th November 2021, 01:02   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Price: 87.73...
What's the price difference between normal diesel and this ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks