Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2007, 08:45   #1
BHPian

suzuki sx4

so i spotted an sx4 on the road today while checking it out i noticed something odd
in the tail lamps one of the tail lamps had more clear area than the other (see the pic ) can any one explain why so ? and no the tail light wasnt broken

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 25th May 2007 at 08:47.
Old 25th May 2007, 09:04   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
one of the tail lamps had more clear area than the other (see the pic )
The tail lamps on the sx4 has only on reverse lamp that is on the left and a single rear fog lamp that is on the right that's the reason, for the wierd look on the tail lamps, the sedan that has been launched in India is the European version(Geneva motor show) fitted with the right hand drive version minus the vvt head, everything else is the standard package for the sedan world wide...........
Old 25th May 2007, 09:14   #3
BHPian

You can also find such type of arrangement in NHC ZX Vtec. Only 1 reverse lamp and 1 fog lamp. This can be identified with 2 different shades of the glass.
Old 25th May 2007, 09:21   #4

vernaish ...

uncanny resemblance to verna's rear me thinks ...
Old 25th May 2007, 09:29   #5
BANNED

guys donno why i feel that the innova in front of the sx4 is smaller then sx4......
Old 25th May 2007, 09:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

how about saying because its further away by virtue of distance

that aside, i somehow dont like asymmetric design skills some car manufs show off
Old 25th May 2007, 09:35   #7
BHPian

i still find it wierd .. teh rear fog lamp is a freat idea but cant they have the reverse lamp on both tail lamps and the rear fog lamp on one side sorta like the benz / audi and make the look a lil more symmetrical ?
Old 25th May 2007, 10:16   #8
BHPian

Hey buddy, go through this thread below. Your questions will probably be answered here.....

Click below:
Why do some cars have a single reversing light?

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 25th May 2007 at 10:17.
Old 25th May 2007, 10:39   #9
BHPian

(ECE Regulation 38, SAE J1319) In Europe, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear [COLOR=#0000ff]fog[/COLOR] lamps" (or "fog taillamps"), which are switched on manually by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candelas, which is within the range of a U.S. brake lamp. For this reason, many European vehicles imported to the United States have their rear fog lamps wired as brake lamps, since their European-specification brake lamps may not be sufficiently intense to comply with U.S. regulations, and rear fog lamps are not required equipment in the U.S.
Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated brake lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the brake lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps' masking of brake lamps, [COLOR=#0000ff]ECE Regulations[/COLOR] require a separation of at least 10 cm between adjacent illuminated edges of brake lamps and rear fog lamps.

Source - Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 25th May 2007, 12:12   #10
NIP
Senior - BHPian

boy it looks tall in that picture !! look at that ground clearance...or is it the angle of the pic ??
Old 25th May 2007, 14:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Another thing ,may just not be characteristic to the sx4 is the positioning of the audio controls on the steering wheel,it is towards the left hand side means you have to use those switches with your left hand only.

Now isn't the right hand which is usually on the steering wheel on most occasions,should the controls not have been on the right hand side.That said the salesman's explanation was that maruti has kept safety in mind and that usually when the left hand is on the steering wheel your right hand is firmly on the steering wheel.Maybe an odd query but felt I should share this with you guys.
Old 25th May 2007, 15:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Maybe an odd query but felt I should share this with you guys.
rahul_intlad,

Not an odd query, an obvious one...as obvious as "Why do Ford and GM have indicator switch towards the left hand side of the steering for Cars sold in India"

One answer that comes to my mind is that maruti is importing the complete steering wheel set from a country where left hand driving is practiced(China ??..because SX4 sedan is sold only in India and China so far).

-Elan
Old 25th May 2007, 16:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

if safety is the reason given for keeping stereo controls on the left side, then that salesman must be fired! how can one be safe making his left hand do many things at the same time. thank god they didnt keep all power window switches on the left window. wonder why we ape the west all the time. that ways i like the fiesta which is engineered for india.
Old 26th May 2007, 20:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

i wanted to ask one thing which is relevant here. since the left side tail lamp assembly also houses reverse lamp and perhaps a fog lamp even, i m wondering if now sx4 has only one brake light (red light) and that too only on the right side? maybe having a look at that photograph again helps answer me. i m wondering how it will look at night if someone applies brake in this car, will i have symmetrical red lighting on both sides? I am lost!
Old 27th May 2007, 10:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

i m unable to edit my previous post. just to substantiate my question above, here is another photo of a rather beautiful black sx4 i saw yesterday.

can anyone explain the light system at the rear properly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks