Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2007, 11:22   #1
BHPian

Carmakers see more mileage in diesel

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ FRIDAY, MAY 25, 2007 02:05:11 AM]
NEW DELHI: It’s been an engine of growth in the car mart. Higher fuel bills have kicked off demand for diesel variants and the success of mid-size sedans and top-end hatchback models like the Hyundai Verna, Ford Fiesta and Suzuki Swift has triggered off a flurry of launches this year.
The Detroit big two General Motors and Ford have both announced diesel introductions in the coming months. While Ford will launch its Fusion diesel version in the third quarter of this year, General Motors will strap a diesel engine on its luxury sedan Optra this June.
“We are in the final stages of bringing the newest member of the Optra family to the market. It will be manufactured at our Halol plant and should reach Chevrolet retailers next month,” said GM India vice-president Mr P Balendran.
Armed with a turbocharged common rail direct injection (TCDi) engine, the new Optra diesel will boast second-generation common rail technology. As for Ford, it will strap its Fusion model with the Duratorq diesel engine that it imports from Europe.
There’s a reason for the diesel push. Already, almost 70-80% of all Fiesta and Verna sales are in diesel. And the recently launched Mahindra Renault’s Logan sedan has also positioned itself aggressively on the CRDi platform. According to Mahindra Renault managing director Rajesh Jejurikar, the Logan’s diesel demand is almost 70% of the total bookings received by the auto maker.
And to take on the Logan’s position as the most affordable CRDi model, arch rival Tata Motors recently launched a CRDi version of its Indigo sedan at a price ranging from Rs 5.25 lakh-Rs 5.85 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The new Indigo is the most aggressively priced CRDi sedan in the market right now.
According to estimates by the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers, diesel is currently around 20-25% of the total car market. However, as more CRDi models roll out, this number should increase substantially. For carmakers, diesel offers the perfect answer to the customer’s search for lower cost of ownership.
“Our Fusion consumers were constantly asking for a diesel variant, largely because it is a city car, the consumer wants better mileage, diesel is readily available across the country and is low on emissions,” says Ford India president & managing director Arvind Mathew.
In the luxury segment , both Mercedes Benz and Skoda are doing well with their diesel engine. Skoda is likely to bring a diesel variant even in its much awaited small car Fabia. And Maruti’s new launches in the future would also probably include the diesel Swift sedan. As for Hyundai, it has indicated it will introduce a diesel Getz this year.

Link to the R-tickle : Carmakers see more mileage in diesel-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 25th May 2007, 11:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Not to mention that diesel engines are atleast 40% more energy efficient as compared to the petrol engines.
Old 25th May 2007, 14:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And Maruti’s new launches in the future would also probably include the diesel Swift sedan.
I believe by this they are referring to the SX4 ? I dont see any other car which they can call as the Swift sedan.
Old 25th May 2007, 14:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I believe by this they are referring to the SX4 ? I dont see any other car which they can call as the Swift sedan.
Yes. Its the SX4. Khattar also mentioned that the VG version of the current 1.3 MJD will be on the SX4 in 2 years time. It looks like they've targetted 2009 for all major engine changes
Old 25th May 2007, 15:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

There is a swift sedan being planned[think it was N_C who was talking about that as well] however if the above refers to the sx4 or the new car can't say.
Old 25th May 2007, 15:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Huh! Now SX4 is the Swift sedan? I thought it was the new Baleno...
Old 25th May 2007, 15:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

SX4 is the replacement for the Baleno, based on the Swift platform. Correct me if wrong.
Old 25th May 2007, 15:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SX4 is the replacement for the Baleno, based on the Swift platform. Correct me if wrong.
SX4 was a totally new development by Suzuki and Fiat in 2006 and is not based on any platform, infact it was developed as a miniSUV first and then a sedan version was built. Read here
Old 25th May 2007, 15:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right. Now, correct me if I am wrong. I believe I have read somewhere that their new Grand Vitara also has something to do with Swift platform, or is it just the design?
Old 25th May 2007, 15:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am not really sure,yes there is sharing of parts[interiors] between the swift and the sx4 but the sx4 is based on the Fiat Sedici,which I don't think had any platform sharing with the Suzuki Swift.However BS motoring has reported the SX4 to be on the swift platform.

Again with the vitara too I feel it is the sharing of parts[mostly the interiors] cant possibly be on the same swift platform.
Old 25th May 2007, 19:32   #11
BHPian

I think the SX4 was positioned to replace the Baleno while the Swift Sedan is rumoured to be a replacement for the Esteem

I remember reading an old new article pertaining to this

Quote:
Maruti Udyog Ltd is planning to encash on the Swift mania (bookings have crossed 28,000 so far) by launching a three-box version of the vehicle next year, according to sources. The sedan version will be in the Esteem category and is likely to replace the old warhorse over three years.
Source: Success prompts Maruti to plan a Swift sedan

Last edited by askicode : 25th May 2007 at 19:35. Reason: Source Reference Added
Old 26th May 2007, 03:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Now, if there is a Swift sedan under development, how would they price it? Its too close to the Swift hatch at the lower end and at the upper end they have the SX4. This would be a tight fit. My guess is that a stripped down SX4 may hit the market at a later stage.
Old 26th May 2007, 08:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Yes. Its the SX4. Khattar also mentioned that the VG version of the current 1.3 MJD will be on the SX4 in 2 years time. It looks like they've targetted 2009 for all major engine changes
2009? - if the June 2007 autocar is to be believed the engine is already being tested on SX4 by Maruthi. that sounds much earlier than 2009.

But a key player would be the indigo who will also be targeting a MJD engine Indigo. That would be an absolute VFM package with a refined engine and better FE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks