Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2007, 14:10   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"Bad people look ugly"
I dont agree with that part. Abu Salem being case in point.

As for the gearshift on the Indicas, i dont think its all that bad as claimed. I feel that the V2 series have decent gear shift quality. After all i learnt to drive on an indica, and despite being an abused car, it took it all in its stride.
Old 25th May 2007, 14:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I dont agree with that part. Abu Salem being case in point.

As for the gearshift on the Indicas, i dont think its all that bad as claimed. I feel that the V2 series have decent gear shift quality. After all i learnt to drive on an indica, and despite being an abused car, it took it all in its stride.
Abu Salem? you should have said Al capone or something. This is too much, you need to be weaned away from indica.
As for the smoothness
Drive something else and you will know. I find indica gearshift silky smooth. But then my driving history goes something like
1. Grandfather indica(Pre V2) No PS
2. V2 Indica, 1st generation NO PS too.
3. V2 indica (Super chill AC, super quiet cabin, now only neighbours hear you)
4. V2 indica of above vintage
5. Indigo TD(without I)
6. Indica Turbo

When I drove a getz for an extended period I realized what a car should be. Then I drove a santro for a few days.
After a broken shoulder more than a year ago I realized what a smooth gearshift means.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th May 2007 at 14:20.
Old 25th May 2007, 14:20   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Abu Salem? you should have said Al capone or something. This is too much, you need to be weaned away from indica.
Hehe... was the first name that came to my mind.

Quote:
As for the smoothness
Drive something else and you will know. I find indica gearshift silky smooth.
Maybe i felt it was fine as that was the first car i drove. Possibly i would have a different opinion after the Ikon, and many test drive cars down the line. Between, i did feel the Aveo shift quality pathetic.

Quote:
After a broken shoulder more than a year ago I realized what a smooth gearshift means.
Guess we all get used to them, just as i got used to the crazy sounds/music from my Pulsar's chain.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th May 2007 at 14:22. Reason: Too many maybe's
Old 25th May 2007, 14:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Abu Salem being case in point.
Interesting comparison!

My only driving stint with Indi* has been my test drive of Indica Dsl. I am not too sure whether this problem was with the test drive car or with Indica in general, but engaging a gear was akin to buying a lottery. But, you will eventually be able to engage the gear
Old 25th May 2007, 14:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think there is a lot of scope for improvement in the Indica's gearshift, it's not good enough at the moment. However, the worst gearshift I ever experienced was in a first-gen NA Sumo!!! Man that was like hitting the Govt. of India Jackpot Lottery (If such a thing could be possible!!) everytime you changed gears in the first attempt & I could never, ever find reverse in that gearbox!!!! Truly horrid!

P.S. Also the Steering play in that truck was legendary, half a lock either side still had it tracking dead straight
Old 25th May 2007, 14:37   #21
BHPian

In the indica, the gear lever is simply not connected to the gear box. If there is any thing more vague, its the column shifter found in old Ambys and Padminies.

The quality and tactile feel of the switchgear is also very poor. The indicator stalks in a Mahindra CL500 have a better fell to them!
Old 25th May 2007, 14:38   #22
BHPian

I really dont know why people call indica ugly , it is not that because i won one , but i still remember when some time back before Indica was launched , a pic of the prototype Indica (about 95% similar to the one on the roads now) was being exchanged via email. Everybody who used to open the mail, used to be like WooooW and i remember we had to wait for three months ( just like the diesel swift) for the car to be delivered !! V1 had amazing pickup but an extremely repeat extremely noisy fanbelt. Apart from that the car used to turn faces whenever it was spotted on the roads. Recently since Tata has been launched as a taxi which has made it very common place and people have started assosciating it with a taxi . i remember when I travelled to Nepal 8 years back , daewoo cielo's were looked upon as taxi's there which was sort of a status symbol here in India .
So i guess it is the commonness rather than the design which is creating this impression about the car being bad looking ...
Old 25th May 2007, 14:48   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Crude : Gearshift is crude. Knobs are crude, interiors are crude. Salesmen are crude. The Jobcard is crude. Even the screwdrivers are crude.
Now what happened? Jobcard aur screwdriver bhi crude? Howzzat! Though you can say even the fuel is crude

Last edited by Zappo : 25th May 2007 at 14:50.
Old 25th May 2007, 15:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

I feel,the present indigo's tail-lamps look out of place.
Old 25th May 2007, 15:11   #25
Team-BHP Support

Rahul, not to forget the boot which looks really like an add-on.
Old 25th May 2007, 15:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

@nikunj_cal: Oops - dunno how you got the 'ugly' impression. Between pretty and ugly is a sea of adjectives, and its certainly not black/white, or binary if you will.

I do think the Indica's prettty decent looking but certainly not sexy, or cute, or hot. If Telco had thrown in that element in the looks department, some of the less major irritants would not have become issues and the overall package would've appealed to many more. Ok, at least to me
Old 25th May 2007, 15:13   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rahul, not to forget the boot which looks really like an add-on.
Looks like It is an add on!
But then Tata knows best how to whip a platform to the max!
Old 25th May 2007, 15:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
However, the worst gearshift I ever experienced was in a first-gen NA Sumo!!! Man that was like hitting the Govt. of India Jackpot Lottery (If such a thing could be possible!!) everytime you changed gears in the first attempt & I could never, ever find reverse in that gearbox!!!! Truly horrid!

P.S. Also the Steering play in that truck was legendary, half a lock either side still had it tracking dead straight
I daresay that the 'new' Sumo lives upto its reputation. A bit better, but still as vague as groping around in the dark in the backseat (nothing that a bit of experience wont help )
Old 25th May 2007, 15:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

come on guys..Appreciate the fact that IT IS A VEHICLE TRULY MADE IN INDIA..I agree with most of you about the points mentioned above..but I would attribute to many silly issues being "LACK" of attention by the service staff..

Infact, My 02 Indica DLX caught fire after being driven from Bangalore to Sholinghur [near vellore],

We were lucky that we smelt burnt wire and put out the fire on time..The issue being a fault of the service guy who had not put the fuse properly..

I had to pay 15K to set right my wiring harness and was completly pained by the attitude of the GM of the Chennai concorde motors..who does not care a damn..he will only sell cars..

Am sure many of you have faced such minor issues ..the solution is to take it to the higher levels..not that i have been very successful..
Old 25th May 2007, 15:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

We need to PUSH the dealers and the service guys to give us EXCELLENT SERVICE..else our Tata vehicle sucks!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks