Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2007, 21:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

The era of ugly cars in India is over, from now on we shall see only pretty cars.
Old 25th May 2007, 22:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
The era of ugly cars in India is over, from now on we shall see only pretty cars.
thunder....roll of drums....(deep boomy bass voice)
"behold the Logan"

Old 26th May 2007, 00:23   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Gearshift on Indica is absolutely fine, atleast on the new one that I drove. The gears don't "click" into position but then its not imprecise either. Its a lot better than a lot of other cars in the market. Wagon-R for one has the most pathetic shift among the small cars.
Finally... somebody corroborates the fact. I have been saying this for a while. People sing paeans about Maruti and its slick shifters but I found a brand new WagonR and even a relatively new Alto (12500kms) to have difficult to slot gears. In comparison Indicas gears just fall into place with so much ease. You can just use two fingers in most cases to guide it (yes guide it). And it is no hyperbole, figure of speech, over the top comment etc... Only the reverse at times (not always) takes some cajoling to slot in.
Old 26th May 2007, 06:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
thunder....roll of drums....(deep boomy bass voice)
"behold the Logan"

I knew someone would say that but Logan was conceived a long while ago when design philosophy was not where it is now, and Qualis was being 'manufactured' in India. Infact, Logan has now been made an example of by the auto industry on 'how not to design' cars.
Old 26th May 2007, 07:55   #50
BHPian

Having owned and driven and Indica V2 for the better part of 3 and half years I have to say the car itself isn't half as bad as its made out to be. True there are small irritants that prevent the ride from being enjoyable, but the gearbox and interiors is certainly not one of them. I was very happy with the shifting (though not up to standard) and never had to search for a gear. Neither did I dislocate my shoulder trying to change gears!! Until I get my new car I am drving a Wagon R and the gear shift quality on that car is horrendous!!!
The plastics on my Indica were in great shape when I sold it. No discoloration, no cracks and no signs of wear. I have said on another post that I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the plastics and the switchgear. Not a single stalk had to be changed.
True, TATA could beef up their service levels, iron out the small niggling irritants and they have a all time great on their hands. But even without that, its still a great car which offers unbelievable VFM!
So lets not berate TATA for its faults and instead first congratulate them for a good car and the continuous effort that they put into improving the quality of their car.

Cheers!
K
Old 26th May 2007, 14:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Finally... somebody corroborates the fact. I have been saying this for a while. People sing paeans about Maruti and its slick shifters but I found a brand new WagonR and even a relatively new Alto (12500kms) to have difficult to slot gears. In comparison Indicas gears just fall into place with so much ease. You can just use two fingers in most cases to guide it (yes guide it). And it is no hyperbole, figure of speech, over the top comment etc... Only the reverse at times (not always) takes some cajoling to slot in.
i'll second / third that.

bad gear shift of indica is a classic case of a myth becoming fact on account of its being repeated over and over.

The new-gen indicas are quite good. I've never had an issue with the gear-shift on my indica tcic. no mis-slotting, hunting etc.

on the looks front, the indica to me is reasonably handsome car. though not a head-turner or a design thats very high on the wow-factor. but as has been correctly mentioned, we see so many of them, we don't really "see" the car.

I like the fact that the Indica has a simple and solid no-nonsense stance. My only gripe lookswise is the ridiculous wheel-arches that have been added on. I think it looks better without those, as in pics of the yellow Indica Sport.

For me its important that it doesn't look too curvy and cute / sissy. My other gripes about the Swift aside, I would never go for something that looks like the Swift. Too curvy / feminine for me. The new Santro ERLx to me is more acceptable as compared to the Swift. Of course, that purely my taste / preference.

Last edited by hell_rider : 26th May 2007 at 14:21.
Old 26th May 2007, 14:21   #52
BHPian

man the interior part is right even if u buy xeta or even if u buy a Dicor u get 90% same interiors but hey the cars are pretty ones....i mean to say yes they cud have been better but still they are good looking ones
Old 26th May 2007, 14:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the Indica V3 supposed to be very pretty ?
Old 26th May 2007, 15:04   #54
BHPian

Somebody here said we should be proud it's the car completely made in India. Are we indians less than anybosy else that we cannot make a proper car and when we make an Indica it becomes our benchmark of being proud!!!!

Why cant we make a Mercedes or a BMW just because we feel proud on making an Indica and do not want to move ahead.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:14   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Isn't the Indica V3 supposed to be very pretty ?
Yeah so I am given to understand. In fact recently I received some computer generated images of the V3. They look really nice, alright. But the more striking thing I felt was the size. I wonder whether it will really remain a small car if the size in those pics were anything to go by. It looks huuuuuge. I mean it still is a hatchback but looks more in the mould of the Innova in terms of size. Even if not as big it definitely is much much bigger and taller than the current V2. At least so it looked like in those pics.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yeah so I am given to understand. In fact recently I received some computer generated images of the V3.
can we have a sneek peak ??

Godfather
Old 26th May 2007, 15:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, sounds interesting. If they can give it more practical luggage space and spruce the design up just a bit, I'm in for a Turbo/Dicor whenever the second car plans finances materialize! Dates, preview pix would be really welcome
While on that, are there used Turbos on the market, or is it too early ?
Old 26th May 2007, 15:52   #58
Team-BHP Support

@zenx, used turbos are definitely there in the market, in fact flooding the market. But the problem is that most of these have put up some 50k+ on the odo in such a sort span of time. There are two aspects to it. One is that the car must have been made to run around like a donkey... most probably the builders and realters types owned these cars. However that means the car inspires enough confidence to have been put to such gruelling runs. Second aspect is that with such a high usage in a short span the chances are that the maintenance may have been not so good. You may face problems with such cars in near future.

However if you look around a little you may get a nice pre-owned turbo with really low mileage on the odo. Mostly the personal cars of the sw guys who leave for onsite assignments on a short notice are such cars. Keep yours eyes peeled and you will find one.

@Gody, I will have to search my office box... it will be there somewhere I am sure.
Old 26th May 2007, 15:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
While on that, are there used Turbos on the market,
You want just the Turbo or a Turbo Indica?

Godfather
Old 26th May 2007, 16:04   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
You want just the Turbo or a Turbo Indica?

Godfather
Uh oh... I did not ask the most basic question I suppose. 'thought he is looking for the whole car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks