Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 19:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri View Post
1. FE of santro automatic
2. FE of wagonr automatic
3. which one is more technologically more advanced?
4. any known problems with these version?
The WagonR Automatic is a 3 speed, whereas the Santro is 4 speed. The Santro is more advanced and better suited. I've driven it and its a pleasure to drive. FE should be around 10+.
Old 29th May 2007, 21:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

I for one would love to see autoboxes in more indian cars. Yes Mumbai traffic is that bad.

Drifter
Old 30th May 2007, 05:18   #33
BHPian

well i have civic auto and i love it..i even enjoy the paddle shift changing gears was never so much fun..well i hope verna and other powerful cars diesel come with auto.
Old 11th June 2007, 12:21   #34

hi. i've just joined the group an hour ago and was surfing the site.

we bought a honda civic with at a few months ago and are really happy with the performance - as my husband says, even driving at marol naka is not much of a problem.

now, i'm looking for a small car with at, but am not happy with the wagonr specs. this 3-gear thing is confusing. and i'm sorry, "theMAG", i didnt understand your post dated may 25 at all (you all can guess i'm not much of a car person). yet, i need to ferry myself and kid around, any suggestions about which at i can buy (in the small car segment - big cars are a parking nightmare in crowded bhaji markets)? it seems only wagonr, santro xing and reva have at ...if it is correctly termed at in a reva. i had high hopes about the spark, but they dont have an at version...

i can't understand why there are no more at vehicles being launched - surely there is a good market for a compact at, at least in crowded cities?
Old 11th June 2007, 15:23   #35
BHPian

AT (CVT) was the only reason I had to settle for City ZX though I never really liked the car much at that time. There ought to be more choices esp in the compact segment ...
Old 14th June 2007, 16:04   #36

hi all.

what is this "rubber band effect"?

and subscrive, what is this "semi auto clutch system"? can it be fitted by a decent garage on any small car, eg the spark?

i really want to be independently mobile, but can't handle gear shifting in heavy traffic......am really really keen on an at but a small car and would welcome any suggestions...

why didn't they teach us anything about cars in school? and where does my 7-year old pick up so much knowledge about cars from? he seems to know a lot more than me....
Old 14th June 2007, 20:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita deb View Post
hi all.

and subscrive, what is this "semi auto clutch system"? can it be fitted by a decent garage on any small car, eg the spark?

i really want to be independently mobile, but can't handle gear shifting in heavy traffic......am really really keen on an at but a small car and would welcome any suggestions...
See these for AutoClutch info:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-automate.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hing-foot.html

Why don't you try the Reva AC electric car?
http://revaindia.com/
Old 14th June 2007, 22:50   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Rubber band effect.... you mean like when you increase the revs but nothing happens for a moment or three? Yes, a very annoying feature of some auto boxes.

Another one was a speciality of my Rover 620 in London (British built Accord, 2ltr, 4yrs old). I'd be driving up a slip road to join a motorway, need more speed on the incline, put ,y fut on the gas ----and the box would just change down, leaving the car running at the same speed. Very annoying and could be dangerous.

But... on balance, I'd go for a auto. Especially when most of the driving is city driving. Why this desire to strengthening the left leg all the time?

Autos need good-size engines. Best combination: small car, big engine!

I rented a Mercedes A-Class once, auto, cruise control, 2.something litre engine. Felt like having a chauffeur!
Old 20th June 2007, 20:09   #39
BHPian

Semi automatic details at
Automatic Clutch System,Semi Automatic Clutch,Automatic Clutch System Manufacturer,Semi Automatic Clutch Manufacturer,India

I read the other threads... Quite a few people are speculating a lot.
Didnt know that this site had people who could talk rubbish with such an air of authority (on the subject).

For all those interested I can only say that it is a nice system which costs abt 25K and is really a boon in traffic conditions.

~A.
Old 20th June 2007, 21:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Another one was a speciality of my Rover 620 in London (British built Accord, 2ltr, 4yrs old). I'd be driving up a slip road to join a motorway, need more speed on the incline, put ,y fut on the gas ----and the box would just change down, leaving the car running at the same speed. Very annoying and could be dangerous.
I have heard people say that this happens plenty on Santro AT models as well when they travel steep inclines. Does anyone know why this happens ?
Old 20th June 2007, 22:35   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Given that the gear box governs the relationship between engine revs and ground speed, it isn't illogical --- just wrong!

It's sort-of like what kick-down is supposed to do; change down so you can accelerate. But mine didn't accelerate.
Old 21st June 2007, 01:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Semi automatic details at
Automatic Clutch System,Semi Automatic Clutch,Automatic Clutch System Manufacturer,Semi Automatic Clutch Manufacturer,India

I read the other threads... Quite a few people are speculating a lot.
Didnt know that this site had people who could talk rubbish with such an air of authority (on the subject).

For all those interested I can only say that it is a nice system which costs abt 25K and is really a boon in traffic conditions.

~A.
Would you mind posting your experiences in the AutoClutch thread?

I would be interested in knowing:

1) what car you have it installed on
2) what situations (city, highway) you have used it on
3) what is your usage pattern (i.e., do you always leave it to the AutoClutch, or do you override it with the normal clutch)
4) have you ever encountered an emergency situation, and if so, how did the AutoClutch fare? I.e., did you feel it got in the way of safe driving?
5) does the clutch engage immediately upon touching the brake? Or does it engage only when it needs to prevent stalling of the vehicle?

Thanks

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-automate.html
Old 25th June 2007, 09:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Given that the gear box governs the relationship between engine revs and ground speed, it isn't illogical --- just wrong!

It's sort-of like what kick-down is supposed to do; change down so you can accelerate. But mine didn't accelerate.
sounds like either a faulty transmission, or you had reached the limit of your engine.

BTW, I had a case when i fest the need for manual transmission. car stuck in snow, and i needed to rock it back and forth to get out of it.

managed with pressing accelerator and releasing it, but i knew having a clutch would have been really handy.

any suggestions?
Old 25th June 2007, 10:26   #44
BHPian

I'm one of the latest victims to the pleasure of AT. I was reading about AT and the new technologies in AT like CVT and IVT. Its amazing what technology has done to the transmission. I think having an AT will make more people realise the pleasure of driving. No more getting frustrated in city traffic. No more having to drop gears and having to do down-shift-up-shift circus while overtaking.

The latest ATs are supposed to keep your car in the peak powerband always and thats about as much as you can push you car. If you are in a overtaking situation and need to drop a gear then dont start cussing your car as it would be in the peak powerband anyways and it wouldnt have made any difference even if you had an MT.
Howstuffworks "Cars with CVTs"

Even the latest AT cars are more fuel efficient or at least as fuel efficient as their MT counterparts. So pat goes the theory that AT cars are not Fuel Efficient and hence not for India.
Top 10 Fuel Efficient cars - Fuel economy - Hybrids, diesels, gas-saving, high-mileage cars - Top 10 Fuel Efficient Cars
(See Honda Civic and Nissan Sentra)

I really want to go out and TD and City CVT and get to know how good the AT is practically. But from the theory that I have read about ATs, its simply nothing less than a blessing in disguise.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

AT cars in indian conditions are indeed less fuel efficient then their MT counterparts. frequent starts and stops, signals, jams, indiciplined traffic are the causes for this lower mileage of AT cars which is about 2-3 KMPL below its ML counterparts.

Most Viewed