Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2007, 15:33   #1
sri

Automatic transmission - Present and the Future

Today in the less than 10 lakhs segment i think only Santro and NHC are available.

1. Can the experts add on if more cars are available right now apart from the above?
2. Are there any more auto transmission cars being launched in the next 6 months?

it would be good to see swift,swift-diesel,spark,fusion to be coming out with auto transmission.

Also if there is a review of the above pls post the link.
Old 25th May 2007, 16:54   #2
HSV
BHPian

Yahoo!!! Finally another A/T supporter! Common y'all, wakeup. Its high time hassle free affordable driving was available to us as an option. Would the manufacturers please take note!

regards,
Old 25th May 2007, 17:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

The 'paisa vasool' factor plays a major part in a car buyer's decision. As a result, auto trannies are not too popular because of the drop in fuel economy. But yes, things will change if car manufacturers offer more efficient auto gearboxes on their small city cars.
Old 25th May 2007, 17:57   #4
BHPian

Automatics are Ideal in crowded cities and a terrific boon for beginners and inexperienced drivers. Millions of people worldwide are driving automatic transmission cars.

Guess the reason we don't prefer automatics because of maintenance, performance, resale value, fuel consumption etc.

Some people say an automatic does not give a driver the feeling of being in charge of the vehicle.
Old 25th May 2007, 18:08   #5
BHPian

The Wagon R also has an AT option, but in this case its only a primitive 3 speed box.

I owned a Kinetic Honda earlier and fully appreciate the comfort of AT. Sadly, most models do not have this option and secondly the price difference is a killer.

In terms of maintenance its as good as a manual box. Infact, as there is no mechanical clutch, there is no clutch wear as in manual transmission cars.

I have also heard of a term "semi-automatic" advertised. Anybody with a first hand experience about it. From what I know, its an after market fitment and something to do with hydraulic control of the clutch at the press of a button. So saves the effort of depressing the clutch with left foot.
Old 25th May 2007, 18:23   #6
BHPian

finally someone talking @ AT -- i prefer driving comfort above all and the manual tranny cannot provide that in the traffic conditions of our cities; how i wish the manufacturers could have more variants of ATs than MTs a LA US
Old 25th May 2007, 18:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri View Post
Today in the less than 10 lakhs segment i think only Santro and NHC are available.
You forgot the WagonR. When I was in the US, the only manual car, I saw was a Pathfinder. 98% cars are Auto. Well they are not bothered about FE. Fuel is cheap.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 25th May 2007 at 18:29.
Old 25th May 2007, 19:10   #8
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Well they are not bothered about FE. Fuel is cheap.
Not sure but I think that out of the billion odd in population that we have, there must be quite a few like you and me who wouldnt mind paying that Re 1 per km extra to enjoy the added convenience.
Old 25th May 2007, 19:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

I love to see some AT's around really. But i will only buy an AT if and only if my car is going to be shared by some elderly or some women drivers and the second probability being i gonna buy this car for woman in the house.
Old 25th May 2007, 20:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
some elderly or some women drivers and the second probability being i gonna buy this car for woman in the house.
Why is there a notion that most women prefer AT? I understand elderly people, but why women? Its a gift to have AT in the city and on incline driving.
Are maintainence costs higher in AT cars? Do the gearboxes have lesser life?
Old 25th May 2007, 20:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Why is there a notion that most women prefer AT? I understand elderly people, but why women? Its a gift to have AT in the city and on incline driving.
Are maintainence costs higher in AT cars? Do the gearboxes have lesser life?
given the margin of human error, i guess it will be the other way round.

I don't remember many A/Ts with fried clutch plates in their teens.
Old 25th May 2007, 21:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving manual transmission cars in India for more than a decade and ever since I came to the US last year I had to opt for an automatic transmission purely for the resale value I expect when I sell the car on my return to India next year. Personally, I like a manual anyday as it gives me a feeling that I am in charge. Its the difference between a moped and a geared two-wheeler.

The automatic, though I must admit is convenient to drive, does not fall in line with my expectations. For instance, while climbing an incline, the car doesnt shift to a higher gear at the same time I would had it been a manual transmission. The fact is that an automatic is dependent on rpm changes and is programmed to change gears based on that.

That being said, an automatic is for sure fun to drive and the maintenance costs do not burn a hole in your pocket. But the low prices of fuel is for sure a predominant factor for people to opt for an automatic in the US besides the convenience aspect.

Last edited by rr_zen : 25th May 2007 at 21:24.
Old 25th May 2007, 21:25   #13
BHPian

today's well made smart automatics impose about a 5 %penalty on FE due to torque converter ... CVT is great technology ... the convinience in congested city traffic , epsecially when you're stressed out , cannot be overstated ... things will change in the coming decade ... with transmissions offering auto + paddle shift manual it'll be great fun ... i'd like to see some good diesel autos soon in the C segment ... Ford - Durashift , Hyndai , MARUTI(we expect you to set an example) .. like the SX4 .... anyone listening ....
Old 25th May 2007, 21:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Taking cue from 2-wheeler segment, the way Honda Activa (with 3 month waiting period) and other are doing, I am sure same thing will to cars in about few years.
Regarding FE: I guess with technology, it wont be long before AT gives better FE than MT.
Old 25th May 2007, 22:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The title of the thread is misleading towards its content.

Wagon R is rumored to have an autobox sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Slush boxes purchased by the masses in India looks herculean even in the years to come. Not until the CVT is available on a Rs 4-lakh car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks