Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2021, 12:41   #16
BANNED

Re: Two Wheeler Driving Test

1. Countersteering. you don't have to wait for a track riding school to teach countersteering. The principles are the same whether you're riding at 250 or 50. it's better to get him accustomed to countersteering from the start.

2. Communicating. with other road users. Either through hand signals or flashes, or indicator, or brake light. e.g. If I think I might have to go hard on the brakes soon, I pull the lever in a little bit to light up the tail light to let the driver behind me know that I might brake.

3. being predictable: Outside of being communicative, you can follow lane manners and slow down gradually to let the traffic around you know that you're not a threat. sudden braking, lane change, direction change, etc. can cause someone to run into other traffic to avoid hitting you.

4. Make yourself visible. Wearing high-viz for day with reflective material for night. It doesn't have to be all high viz. having just some neon and reflective accents is also enough. Or at least white helmet if high vis is too loud for your taste. Definitely NO matt black though.

5. Gear. buying decent quality riding gear, that's comfortable for your weather conditions, safe, snug, easy to put on and take off are critical to make sure you wear it. Even more than the safety rating. Forget the debate between the L1 and L2 armor, even if you have an abrasion resistant pant, it's way better than a pair of cotton jeans. We pay well over 30% in taxes alone when buying a bike. I say, you set aside at least 30% for the gear on top of the bike's on-road price.

Then, there's just one thing to do, ride and ride more often. As far as anticipating threats goes, it'll only come with time you spend on the road. because, the threats vary from area to area. E.g. 1: Near the Haldiram gurgaon NH8, I know people tend to cross the 3+3 lane highway so I'm slower in that patch even if I don't see anyone crossing the road. Even though I know that I have the right of road. And even when I'm 100% safe driving a car.
e.g. 2: If it's a foggy winter night, then I drive under 80kmph on the KMP expressway because of the possibility of antelopes crossing. On a clear afternoon I cruise around 100 on KMP.

OT: This is not for the test. My bullets are for making him a better rider. Clearing the test is much easier than that.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 14th November 2021 at 12:47.
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 22:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Just my 2 paise:

I learned how to ride a bike almost a decade after I started driving. By the time I started riding, I had a pretty good idea what bad riding was.
Sorry, I don't agree to this. There are same number of bad drivers as riders. Just because the volume of two wheelers are higher their visibility is high. A driver can also be a bad driver. Unless a person understands and knows the basic rules and guidelines and follows it, they will never become a good rider or driver. It does not matter what you learn first. If the basis are skipped, they hardly become a good driver or rider.

Unfortunately majority of them think driving or riding is more like a common knowledge than an acquired skill.
LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 18:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
My son is going for this driving test (car & geared two wheeler) shortly. He has been practicing driving the car fairly in depth.
Quote:
The issue is that there are no resources for the two wheeler driving test. (There are plenty for four wheelers and he has gone thru most of them.)
Quote:
What should be be prepared for in the test? I dont recall anything other than the infamous "8".
For the driving test per se, Please check the RTO track before going to test.
Some of the RTOs (Example - KA51 RTO) conduct 2 wheeler driving test on road / within RTO premises and some have infamous double 8 tracks with sensors like in this video.

Once he is comfortable with the bike, ask him to practice small circles (Both sides) in slow speed for these kind of tracks.
Old 22nd December 2021, 13:01   #19
BHPian

One additional point i would like to add is to keep a watch on the people stuck in the track and also announcements.

I took the test around 14 years ago in Peenya driving track, a guy was stuck in the middle of the track. He was riding fine and was at 8 when I started but goofed up post that. I was so focussed about the track, I did not hear the announcements made on the loudspeaker asking me to stop as another guy is stuck. After getting pretty close, I saw him and stopped.

Thought I failed as I stopped the bike. Inspector taking the test did scold me for not hearing the loudspeaker but said I rode fine and gave me the DL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks