Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2007, 15:57   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tatas have finally said something about V3

Look what I found... finally the reticent Tatas have said a few things about their upcoming Indi V3 range... mostly the Indica.

Its supposedly being developed in conjunction with Fiat and will sport a MJD Dicor engine. Means that although the fabulous MJD tech will be there in the engine it will be a totally new Dicor engine and not just a off-the-shelf engine from Fiat. Interesting read, eh!

Here is another interesting excerpt...

Quote:
Industry sources, however, say the new prototype is already being tested. The car is slightly bigger than the current Indica with the fit and finish expected to match Honda or Hyundai models. It carries bigger and arched xenon headlights and improved safety features.
By the way here is a linky to the V3 plan from the Horses mouth. And yes, Tatas plan to name it different and not V3 as the market likes to call it.

Last edited by Zappo : 26th May 2007 at 15:59.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. They mention that it will be released in 2 Years..
2. Interiors to match the Hondas and Hyundai
3. The new cars are expected to counter Maruti's new Swift diesel, and models such as the Zen Estilo and new Baleno, which are likely to be launched in the diesel segment

Though this will be one good car to look out for i have doubts about the Zen and new Baleno being released in Diesel.

Great find Zappo.

Godfather
Old 26th May 2007, 16:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am sure Tata's are going to do a Skoda and a Hyundai with the new Indica. The current Indica V2 will continue to sell and the new Indica with a new name will be positioned as a premium hatchback to compete with the Swift, Grande Punto, Fusion and Getz. The car thats going to get hit the most is the Swift. If Tata's get the fit and finish and refinement levels right, then the Swift is going to get thrashed badly.

Xenons and improved safety features (ABS, Airbags I am sure)! Bring it on Tata!
Old 26th May 2007, 16:06   #4
BHPian

Fantastic news. But I would not be holding my breath on this one. They made a similar announcement about launching DiCor variants of the Indigo 'soon' in 2004, and then continued to make announcements all through early-mid-2006 about the phased launch of the DiCor Indigo, Marina and Indica. They probably keep pushing this sort of stuff into the media to keep prospective diesel car buyers in abeyance, waiting for the worm to turn.

An interesting statement in the press release was this ...
Quote:
...with the fit and finish expected to match Honda or Hyundai models...
Tells you that the press will print anything you want, if the price is right.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

Yeah... just imagine... arched Xenons in an Indica! ABS, Airbags (part of safety features?!) whoa!!! What are we getting into Tata?
Old 26th May 2007, 16:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Seen some scoop pictures of the V3 in a auto mag earlier. The spy pic was taken in a fusion 1.6 and the indica v3 driver took to his heels seeing the photographer, and fusions's 100 horses was necessary to keep in touch.

After all , Indica is getting a heart to match its skeleton. But i cant help wondering whether we will be able to use the power in our roads.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Fantastic news. But I would not be holding my breath on this one. They made a similar announcement about launching DiCor variants of the Indigo 'soon' in 2004, and then continued to make announcements all through early-mid-2006 about the phased launch of the DiCor Indigo, Marina and Indica. They probably keep pushing this sort of stuff into the media to keep prospective diesel car buyers in abeyance, waiting for the worm to turn.

Actually, this time around it could be different. They have themselves agreed that the Ford and others are slowly eating away their pie. So they realize that time is of essence. And Tatas are one such people who can turn a mountain upside down once they find the urge to do something.

I remember when the Nandigram incident was flaring up badly Mr.R gave an interesting interview. He was asked whether he plans to withdraw from bengal in view of these political protests. He said very somberly that "I am the sort of person on whose temple you can not keep a gun and give directives. I won't move my head away. Either you fire or move the gun away". Says a lot about the man's grit and determination. So if they have agreed that competition is now close on their heels you can expect the next turbo blast.

About the fit and finish part I would say that they have said that the car is being developed for the european markets. So the fit and finish will have to be top-notch. The "V3" will probably only come to India after 2 years of its european launch.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Though this will be one good car to look out for i have doubts about the Zen and new Baleno being released in Diesel.
Don't doubt. The Baleno will get the 1.3 JTD from the Swift with VGT possibly, to take it to 90bhp and 22+ kgm of torque. That's better than the Octavia diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Quote:
...with the fit and finish expected to match Honda or Hyundai models...
I'd tend to believe the Tatas. They've managed to create niches, and sell products that no one thought possible. If you compare the earliest Indicas to the latest generation, you will see a quantum leap in quality and finish.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Of what significance are xenon lamps, can anyone here enlighten? Its good tata is not sleeping and they are proactive. and with fiat supplying tech, its going to be only better. one thing they ought to improve in indica is the boot space, make it slightly better. that aside the car is already good and a refined good engine will only make it better.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Of what significance are xenon lamps, can anyone here enlighten?
Better lighting, longer lasting, insane snob value.
Old 26th May 2007, 16:54   #11
BHPian

Let's hope Tata stays to its projection of a launch in two years.

By the way, is the Magna project completely shelved??
Old 26th May 2007, 16:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Let's hope Tata stays to its projection of a launch in two years.
As per the link they are coming out with this car as TATA is facing competition from Swift diesel and other diesel cars..
Dont you guys think that 2 years is a long time to get back at someone where as the Swift diesel seems to be gaining popularity in leaps and bounds?

Godfather
Old 26th May 2007, 17:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better lighting, longer lasting, insane snob value.
And the replacement cost wont be cheap.

2 years, haha, till then its Swift Diesel selling like hot cakes.
Old 26th May 2007, 17:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its petty that an Indian manf wants to focus on the small European market and only launch its product in India after 2 years in Europe... That way at least MUL should be commended for releasing SX4 in India before US.
Old 26th May 2007, 17:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Its petty that an Indian manf wants to focus on the small European market and only launch its product in India after 2 years in Europe...
Exactly my point.. By then the Swift would already have a strong hold on the market.. and also with the possibilities of a Diesel Baleno and Diesel Zen (which may come) Tata will have to go all out to impress people away from these to his product.

Godfather

Most Viewed