Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2021, 17:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Vitara Brezza, Swift & Nexa range could get CNG option

As the market for alternate fuels grows, Maruti Suzuki is betting big on CNG products. According to a media report, the carmaker could introduce more CNG variants, including that of the Nexa range.

Maruti Vitara Brezza, Swift & Nexa range could get CNG option-marutivitarabrezzapetrol1.jpg

The demand for factory-fitted CNG models has been on the rise since the introduction of the WagonR S-CNG in 2010. It is said that customers are now demanding CNG options for the Vitara Brezza and Swift. Given the demand, CNG variants of the Baleno and Ciaz can't be ruled out either.

At present, Maruti Suzuki offers CNG variants of the Alto, S-Presso, and Ertiga. The Eeco, Tour S, Tour M and Super Carry LCV are also available with factory-fitted CNG kits.

In FY2017, Maruti Suzuki sold 75,000 CNG cars. In the last fiscal, this figure rose to 1,62,000 units. Maruti's total CNG car sales are expected to touch the 3 lakh unit mark by the end of FY2022.

Source: Autocar Professional

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 22:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza, Swift & Nexa range could get CNG option

Nexa "premium" brand and CNG vehicles - only Maruti Suzuki can make it happen It makes me wonder what "premiumness" is left in Nexa now ?
Coming to the topic - CNG makes sense for small cars - Alto, Wagon-R , i10 - given the majority of the buyers are from lower middle class (I don't know if that's a correct term). But a customer shopping in the range of Nexa product's price range above 1 million ₹ - wouldn't be much bothered by mileage. Although I do understand we desis are obsessed with mileage and CNG seems like a magic potion in these times ! I'm tired of explaining people why I haven't installed CNG kit in my Creta
Old 16th November 2021, 23:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Nexa "premium" brand and CNG vehicles - only Maruti Suzuki can make it happen It makes me wonder what "premiumness" is left in Nexa now ?
I think the perspective that maruti tries to bring here is another fuel option that is available for the customers. While Honda, Hyundai still go with diesel options, Maruti is looking at CNG because they can repurpose their own engines (1.0, 1.2, 1.5) and not required to think of getting Bs6 on DDiS variants which might be a costlier affair for them.
In a general notion, any class of customers will not say NO if their fuel expenses are going to be coming down provided the real experience of owning the vehicle is not lost. Not sure what is Maruti thinking about this parameter and it could be known only after the slew of launches that might happen as mentioned in the article.
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 05:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

I just hope the authorities do not mandate CNG as a fuel in near future, now that India has committed to carbon neutrality targets. I have seen too many incidents to CNG vehicles to feel comfortable using it as a choice for personal vehicle. Of course, I may be entirely off the mark.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 16:31   #5
BHPian

A step in the right direction!

1. Provides an optional fuel to a petrol only showroom
2. As mentioned above, reusing the available set of engines while the DDis is apparently out of sight
3. Greener environment.

They have tasted huge success with the WagonR that has been appreciated by personal and commercial users alike.

With the sky rocketing fuel prices and people shying away from public transport due to obvious reasons, CNG is the way to go (as of now until the EVs become a mainstream).
Talking of the "premiumness" of the Nexa models that may take a hit due the introduction of CNG in their lineup, there are an umpteen number of CNG driven Citys, Civics, Ventos and what not. A couple of days ago I went through this article wherein a few Delhi based vloggers are getting CNG installed in the Germans costing north of INR 50Lakh. So yes, fuel costs and mileage bothers buyers across all segments.

https://www.cartoq.com/meet-bmw-merc...-cng-in-india/
However, as much as good of a fuel CNG is, it MUST ALWAYS be a factory fitted setup to ensure safety and minimal hazards.

The Government should also work on increasing the availability of CNG by allocating more booths for CNG.

Maruti should work on CNG powered automatics (atleast in the AMTs) and make CNG available as on option across the entire range of the specific model and not just in their mid range(Vxi). Just like they did with the AMT. I have seen a lot more of Dzire Zxi+ with AMT than Vxi with AMT.
shubham7799 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 23:50   #6
BHPian

Love this move if it actually comes to be true from MSIL, although still not believing it as this �� has been blown numerous times.
Have been using CNG cars since eternity but the options available for factory fitted models is very less. Infact if you even needed a basic feature like touchscreen with AA/Carplay, only Hyundai gives such variants.
Would love to own something like a Ciaz/XL6 with CNG. CNG is an excellent option for someone who holds their car for a long time and has majorly in city usage.
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 09:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

CNG models account for 43% of Maruti Suzuki's 280,000 order backlog.

Quote:
India's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki is facing a problem of plenty. With petrol and diesel prices continuing to be high, even after the November 4 excise duty cut, demand for Maruti’s CNG-fueled cars has skyrocketed.

However, the company, like other carmakers in India, is battling a demand-supply mismatch as a result of the continuing semiconductor shortage which has impacted its ability to cater to the accelerating customer demand for its models, particularly those powered by the much cheaper CNG.

Maruti Suzuki is currently sitting at an order book of 280,000 cars, out of which over 120,000 bookings, or 43 percent of all pending orders, are for its CNG-powered models
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 15:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

2022 Brezza to be Maruti's first CNG SUV, price could be announced by April or May this year.

Name:  20220110031315_ACI_Brezza_RENDERING.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  114.0 KB

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki will ditch the "Vitara" name, and the new compact SUV will just be called the "Maruti Suzuki Brezza".
Quote:
Unlike most Maruti Suzuki models that see the CNG-version being introduced some time after the launch of the standard car, we are told that the Brezza CNG could be introduced simultaneously along with the facelifted petrol version.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th January 2022 at 15:26.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks