Team-BHP - Tell us about your automotive regrets!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Tell us about your automotive regrets! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/244487-tell-us-about-your-automotive-regrets-8.html)

I have a few:

- Not test driving the Alto variant I was going to buy. The Alto LX back then, didn't have power steering, the Lxi did. At parking speed, it was quite a task to turn the car. It was a decision I regretted every single day till the time the car was with me.

- Not opting for the 1.6 litre variant of the Logan. I bought the 1.4 and always yearned for more power. Money saved at the time of purchase wasn't worth the heart ache.

- Selling my beloved Sumo Grande. I miss it even today. I loved everything about it. The drivability, the size, everything. And it was in perfect condition when I sold it. I wish I could buy it back.

- Selling our Safari Storme. Again, I loved its drivability, the apt size, the comfort. Before buying the Kushaq, I once did wonder where it is right now. But gave up on the idea thinking it would not have been loved, as much as we do, in our household.

Buying the Triber and selling the Rapid with the 1.6 mpi is my biggest regret. For one, the Triber is underpowered ,and it also drinks quite a lot of fuel for a car with 70 horses (12 kmpl).

April 2018, Came across a single owner Yezdi D250 classic in excellent shape and complete paperwork for 20k. Couldn't purchase it due to lack of parking space. Every time I see a Yezdi on road it reminds me of this incident.

Have 2 related ones I have a 2009 model tata Manza petrol.
1. Didn't pick up the aura ABS version which was 25k more - in hindsight this was plain stupid...
2. Should have picked up the torquey diesel engine instead of the petrol model.

Picked up the first batch of Himalayan. In hindsight should have waited it out and bought something with ABS

The only regret till now considering all the factors and financials:
Not going for top LT model of Chevrolet Beat Diesel in 2011.
We booked the car before launch, and when prices were revealed the difference between LS and LT model was a mere 25k.
I didn't opt for that model as RTO tax slab was more for vehicle costing 5 lac and above. So overall on road cost was proving to be around 50k more.
Later regretted the decision a lot as for mere 25k ex showroom lost:
Rear Power windows
Rear Body colored spolier
Auto AC
Tilt steering
USB enabled music system with 4 speakers
Piano Black applique on front doors and dashboard
Rear wash wipe and defogger
Front fog lamps

The price difference between the models widened after the launch with subsequent hikes, but always felt the pinch when I saw the car devoid of so many useful items.

Not getting a Manual 2.0L Jetta when I could. It would have been a stretch at that point and I was going for a Polo 1.6 GT TDI. The fact that I did end up with a brilliant ride and had the peace of mind of not breaking my finances did dull the ache but everytime I see a Jetta I still get a slight regret - the only automotive one I confess I have.

Drive on,
Shibu

I have a handful of I-wish-I-had and one I-wish-I-had-not:

First, the I-wish-I-had-not:

I bought a Skoda Laura in 2011. I owned it for 3 years and sold it right around warranty expiry. The car was a great driver's car, but a horrible owner's car. Not to mention having to deal with Skoda dealers and the company. Every time I took the car in for paid service, it used to come back with something wrong (like AC not working or power windows not working). And when I took it back, I was greeted with "It was already like that sir". These clowns didn't get that I had no incentive to keep this information from them as the car was under warranty. And then, I had to replace the passenger-side rear-view mirror. It took nearly 3 weeks for the part to arrive from the Czech Republic. It cost me Rs. 25K. And when I took possession of the car, I noticed that it had a plane mirror instead of the convex mirror one would expect. It took a series of escalations all the way to the parent company to get the issue sorted out. Sold the car within months of this incident as I was getting close to the end of the warranty. I catch myself drooling at all the Skodas in the market, but I remind myself of this experience. I am seriously tempted by the Slavia, but good sense (of which I have very little) is prevailing for now

Now for the I-wish-I-had:

1. (in the USA): The E36 3-series. A friend had a used version that I absolutely loved. Before I ever saw one up close, I had plonked down a lot of money to buy first new car - a practical, decent-looking, but uninspiring Chevrolet Malibu. The 3-series designs started to go south after this one. I think the G20 is a step in the right direction

2. (In India): Bought a reliable used 4X4 (Pajero) as a second car in the mid-2000s. I think I would have put it to good use in the last 5 years

3. (In India): Bought an automatic instead of a manual for my large family car. Every time I go in thinking I will buy an automatic and I end up buying a manual for some silly reason

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 (Post 5199060)
This, my parents also sold off an immaculately maintained 2004 Alto LXI(top variant back then) due to lack of parking space in our house as the 2014 ecosport has been brought home. Till this day my father complains of low mileage on the ecosport( hardly 9-10 kmpl- it's the 1.5 petrol), and now that me and my mom have learnt driving, we don't have a small car for short trips and errands. We sold it off at a paltry 1.3 lakh, and it had 1 lakh kilometres on the odo without any scratches and had recently been serviced too( major service including replacement of tires and suspension), to top it all off.

We made the mistake that two individual sellers didn't back in 2005.

We originally had plans to buy a used WagonR but that plan fell through twice for my dad in 2005 (First one being a 2004 VXI in White and the second one a 2003 LXI in Black) with both sellers deciding that at the last moment that they wanted to keep their WagonR's and I don't blame them (All hail the 1.1L 16V F10D Engine).

At the end my dad got tired, applied for a loan and that's how the 2005 WagonR LXI in Silky Silver "Nora" made it to our family :Cheering:.

God I miss that car and I've been seeing ads for pre facelift Gen 1 WagonR's in good condition popping up in my feed (Damn you Google) and they cost a little more than the brand new XPulse 200 4V I wanted to get as a college bike and now I'm more tempted than ever to cancel my XPulse plans, ask dad for the extra 20-30k and get the car I literally grew up with.

The Gen 1 pre facelift is still the best looking WagonR in my opinion, the facelifted gen 1 looks horrifying, the Gen 2 WagonR was never my thing and while I like 99% of the current WagonR the long Cadillac Escalade like taillights throw me off a bit.

I'm 32 and I learnt driving in March this year. My biggest regret is that my laziness denied me the pleasure of several wonderful self driven road trips.

Mine is a bit miserly...
Last year I got myself a used Celerio which was 5 years old and an amt( wonderfully maintained and very fuel efficient). But whenever I see a safer car I feel lost, my heart yearns for a Polo or Ignis for that matter. But my pockets are totally comfortable, due to less maintenance and perfect mileage I am able to use the car everyday as intended. I do a lot of highway trips so really really happy that my Celerio has good luck and has never let me down..

My first car was my biggest regret. This was in 2006. I had just about learnt to drive in a second hand Maruti 800, gathered the courage and thought why not buy a car of my own. My requirements were large space, fuel economy, good built. So guess what, I bought an Indica diesel-DLS model. Why I regretted it is as follows:
1. Heavy hydraulic power steering didn't make it a pleasure to drive
2. Lack of many important features which are a given today. No music system, front and back manual rolling windows, no central locking, no safety features like ABS, airbags. And oh yes, no passenger side front ORVM. Can you imagine? Most of these needed to be added from outside except power windows and ABS/AB.
3. Clutch burn and smell of rotten eggs when driving, partly due to my depressing the clutch in b2b traffic (I was learning)
4. Pathetic service experience. They were used to servicing taxis I guess, the treatment to private customers was also like a government organisation and nothing noteworthy.
5. Biggest mistake was lack of turbo. When buying the car, I didn't have full access to TBHP and did not understand what diesel turbo meant. When I asked the salesman, he just mentioned "It will make your car go faster". I thought to myself, I don't need to win any medals in car races. It is not worth the extra 30k at that time. The result was unimaginably poor power delivery on slopes and flyovers.
6. Brakes were nowhere near confidence inspiring

I sold it in 1.5 years at a loss of 1L from the OTR. Bought a company owned used Honda City and have been happy with the rest of my car purchases ever since.

Buying a Toyota Camry as my first car after my first job.
On advice of "friends", bought a used Camry. Immediately after buying I realized turning radius is too much and it is not that fun to drive. Wanted to sell off and buy a new sporty one but somehow laziness took over and ended up putting 60k Miles in 4 years. To be honest, I did not hate it after a few months but in retrospect, after owning Audi today, I think I missed something in those youthful days. But, hey, ignorance is a bliss I think, one does not know what he does not know!

2002 Tata Indigo. My Dad decided on this car as he was a big Tata fan and I had no say in decision making then. The car was comfortable and mileage was excellent, how ever bugged as typical Tata first generation cars. Did close to 1.45 lac kms in five years before selling it off. Bought an Alto Lx there after for peace of mind

2007 MS Alto Lx Went for Lx ( without power steering) over Lxi as former was not available for immediate delivery in cherry red colour. Never bothered to take a Test drive either. It was horribly cramped specially coming for Indigo. My leg kept hitting the central consol all the time. Also too difficult to drive in city without power steering. Sold in 2011 with around 80k km If I remember correctly

2011 Tata Aria pride 4x4 Third wrong decision in a row. Bought this car over the then popular Fortuner and endeavour. My parents found it more comfortable over the likes of fortuner and endeavour. Indeed it was the most comfortable car we have owned till date but again typical first Gen Tata car infested to quality issues.

Though its not a regret as I was a school going kid, but a regret which I think I will always continue with is not being able to buy Civic around 2008-09. It was such a futuristic car at that time boasting amazing design. Whenever I am next to an old Civic either while driving or if I find it in parking, I just keep admiring it. It's too old now, hence, not looking to buy one.. In hindsight, I should tried to look for one in my early years of professional life as I could have found a decent 5-7 year old car at a really affordable price, but somehow I didn't as the focus was just on work.. what a car!!

Oh the Regrets !!!! :D

2011:
Not ferrying my Bajaj Discover to Bengaluru when I first moved to the city. Had to rely on friends/public transport for everything & leisure drives were all gone.

2013:
Not buying a vehicle just to save some money and missing the awesome nature loaded spots / lavazza routes when I moved to Pune.

2015:
Not buying the car I loved but giving in to parental pressure to buy Swift Dzire with utmost no desire. Though no regrets with Dzire but I wanted to buy a hot hatch then.

2017:
Not buying a car for myself and waiting for better times/paycheck when I moved back to Bengaluru again. Had to rely on cabs this time.

2018:
Missed not buying Abarth Punto when I could have. It was just in time that FCA packed up here and there was a good deal on the new Abarth.

2019:
Missing the Rapid TDI in constant procrastination of buying a car.

2020:
Not having my own car for joy rides during the lock-downs and unlocks.

2021:
Bought Skoda Rapid TSI. No time for regrets. lol:

P.S: I also regret Chevrolet moving out of India. I loved the Cruze. By the time I became a prospective buyer Chevrolet left.