Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2021, 10:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states

The semiconductor shortage has another victim, this time affecting Smart cards issued for new vehicle registration.

Karnataka RTO has stopped issuing Smart cards for all new registrations and transfers. There is no stock of smart cards and henceforth a digitized paper will be provided in lieu of Smart cards. There will be no smart card fee henceforth. This might affect driving licenses as well.

No more RC Smart cards for new vehicles

Coming to my issue. I bought a pre-owned car in September and though ownership transfer has been effected, I have not yet received the smart card. Upon following up, the RTO agent gave me this info. Only folks who had already paid smart card fees may get smart cards, but not guaranteed.

Around the same time, I had applied for hypothecation cancellation for my wife's car and we got a smart card for her car but not for mine. I am in a dilemma as the RTO is not providing the digitized RC since I have already paid the smart card fee.

Anyone else facing this issue.
speedmiester is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 11:01   #2
BHPian

re: Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states

I applied for the Hypothecation cancellation and ownership transfer on 16th Nov at Electronic City RTO. They did not say anything about this.

Also, I noticed some people collected the RC for their new registrations.

I did hear one of the staffs saying Govt may decide to make all these process online at any point of time and they will just be sitting at office. Could not make out if the concern was about losing moolah from other means or if they happy for not having to work.
Poornavakra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 13:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

As long as registration details are available in digilocker and mparivahan Portal, having RC Card in either plastic, paper or semiconductor form as hard copy has no significance.

Only at the time of selling the car, the owner has to handover the hardcopy which was just preserved in his/her locker(in which ever form) to second owner as a customary tradition along with keys.

So, personally I don't think there is any impact of this change. In fact, they can implement this all over India by issuing RC in paper and update digilocker and mparivahan, in my opinion. It prevents wastage of 300 Rs. that we pay for nothing.

Last edited by gkveda : 18th November 2021 at 13:46.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 13:54   #4
BHPian

Well, I'm okay to not receive the smart card because it's just another thing to carry when I don't have to, thanks to Digilocker.

But please refund the Rs. 200 that I paid for it at the time of registration without me having to follow-up, submit a million different forms and wait in line at the RTO. That's the least they can do.

Is there any chatter on this? Can the Parivahan website have a link to claim these charges as refund? All they would need is the vehicle registration number to retrieve the details and send an OTP to validate.

Seems like a doable task!
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 06:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quick update:
I was able to get the RC Smart card few days back since I had already paid the fees for the same

In the meantime, my brother's car was transferred recently and the buyer received the new paper based RC.
Looks like a ticket stub with similar info printed on paper as in smart card.
Attached Thumbnails
Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states-20211127_181522.jpg  

speedmiester is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 08:45   #6
BHPian

Seems like it is set to go back to the Smart cards. High Court has passed an interim order asking RTO to follow previous process.
https://www.deccanherald.com/state/t...1-1058655.html
Old 20th December 2021, 21:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I had submitted an application for RC transfer in first week of October. The transfer was approved in late Oct, and lucky to have got a regular RC card. The agent said that any applications submitted mid or towards end of Oct onwards are only getting the print outs like what @speedmiester has shared. Apparently, the quality of paper isnt too good in these.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 16:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

While owners can make do with Digilocker for the purpose of ownership proof, is one supposed to retain this flimsy piece of paper for the purpose of ownership transfer some time down the line? Or will it no longer be required, as everything is going to be "online"?
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 14:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I had submitted an application for RC transfer in first week of October. The transfer was approved in late Oct, and lucky to have got a regular RC card. The agent said that any applications submitted mid or towards end of Oct onwards are only getting the print outs like what @speedmiester has shared. Apparently, the quality of paper isnt too good in these.
You got Lucky. I applied in the mid of November and got the paper delivered yesterday. My younger one will tear it apart one fine day. Have to get it laminated before that.
Old 6th January 2022, 19:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Quick update:
Looks like a ticket stub with similar info printed on paper as in smart card.
Got one today; disappointing to see the quality of the paper and the cheap plastic cover around it! Seal and signature are not there in the newer format.

Does anyone know if lamination is OK? We were not supposed to laminate some paper documents from govt. earlier.
impala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 20:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Does anyone know if lamination is OK? We were not supposed to laminate some paper documents from govt. earlier.
Never on originals, especially govt issued documents. Suggest a color copy and lamination.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 19:11   #12
BHPian

This is strange. Here in Delhi NCR, I have gotten two RCs on smart cards, one from Delhi and the other from Haryana, within three to four days of application in the last couple of months. It looks like it takes very long in Karnataka for some reason. Why is the chip shortage affecting only Karnataka?
Old 23rd January 2022, 22:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

What happens with renewal of FC? Is the old smart card updated and returned, or a new one issued (if yes, is that also impacted)?
Old 7th February 2022, 16:19   #14

I removed the Hypothecation on my bike this week in Bangalore Yeswanthpur RTO and have got a paper copy of RC. No more physical smart cards is what the RTO guy said.
GriffinA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 17:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
What happens with renewal of FC? Is the old smart card updated and returned, or a new one issued (if yes, is that also impacted)?
IMpacted. The RC card has the expiry date printed on it. Hence they will take back the old card, and in current situation, give you a print-out.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks