Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 18:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
My car was registered on 4th Nov at Yeshwantpur RTO.

The SA had told me it'll take 2 months for the RC. I was thinking to call him back and remind him. I had also planned to go to the RTO in person and follow up this Saturday. But got a pleasant surprise today when the postman delivered the RC this afternoon. The car bears KA04 regn.

Hope you get your doc soon as well.
It was a good day I guess, after I wrote about the delay of the RC here, the postman gave me a surprise as well. I got the RC !!
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 17:53   #77
Senior - BHPian

I bought a scooter under Bangalore KA03 registration about 3 weeks ago. Online parivahan status show that RC printed on 07-Feb. There is no info about dispatch though. I understand it might take about 45-60 days to get the RC but wondering if the print status shows 07-Feb, can I expect it early ? I was out of town in last few days and wondering if I missed the speed post, that's why putting this query here.
Old 24th February 2023, 18:28   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Online parivahan status show that RC printed on 07-Feb. There is no info about dispatch though.
My guess it has not been despatched yet. We had a similar situation in the past month when we were waiting for wife's DL. There was about 2 weeks gap since printing to dispatch. Even then, we missed the cover twice since we were not at home when they attempted delivery. I think they try 3 times before it is sent back. (the cover we got showed 2 entries on the cover saying "door locked"). If you are still apprehensive that you missed it, you can check with the post office.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 18:56   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...I was out of town in last few days and wondering if I missed the speed post, that's why putting this query here.
You can contact your local post office just in case your envelope is sitting with them due to your unavailability.

For sensitive documents, the post office usually also leaves a pamphlet on the door with the reason for failed delivery, and contact info of the person it can be collected from at the post office by producing an ID proof. Happened with my Aadhaar card delivery.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 08:04   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
. I think they try 3 times before it is sent back. (the cover we got showed 2 entries on the cover saying "door locked"). If you are still apprehensive that you missed it, you can check with the post office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

For sensitive documents, the post office usually also leaves a pamphlet on the door with the reason for failed delivery, and contact info of the person it can be collected from at the post office by producing an ID proof. Happened with my Aadhaar card delivery.
Thanks for info. The postman in my area is super lazy and not very responsible while delivering in my gated community. He simply leaves most mails with the front security office and if a resident is not available, he doesn't bother to re-visit. His response is that he is overloaded and does not have time to door deliver or follow up in a large gated community. That's the reason I'm worried about losing my speed post. Anyway, let me try to check in the post office, although I'm not sure it will help since I don't have any tracking ID,
Old 1st March 2023, 03:09   #81
BHPian

No More SmartCard DL / RC - Is this real?

As someone who received her DL and RC (for old and current vehicles) from West Bengal purely due to my posting at the time, I recently went to that state to do a bunch of renewals. The processes are quite inefficient but my work was done (except for the IDP which I wrote about in a different post).

What's amazing is that both my renewed DL and RC certificates are now A4 printouts. They look a bit tacky and any college student with idle time to kill can create one on a PC. When I asked I was told that current practice is not to issue smartcard.

My concerns are as follows:

(a) Is this genuine issue or have I been scammed somehow?

(b) How do people use an A4 Drivers License? Do police accept it? (Please don't give unhelpful responses regarding using mobile app etc., I am not comfortable with phones and prefer to carry original documents).

(c) Can this A4 page be used to enter an airport terminal?

(d) Is this A4 DL accepted when renting a car abroad? The smartcard looked smart and genuine - this A4 looks very scammy (I am embarrassed to present this anywhere).

(e) Is there any process to get a smartcard (I am willing to pay the fee, obviously).

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd March 2023, 10:51   #82
BANNED

Re: Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states

I am trying to get my car transferred from odisha rto which still doesn't issue physical rc cards. I just have the print out similar to what we had been receiving.. will this work during my transfer to KA03? Wouldn't they expect something in the small envelope?
Old 29th April 2023, 15:28   #83
BHPian

Hi

This is for Karnataka. KA51 (Electeonics City RTO)

I have my car (HyCross) registered on Feb 16 2023 but yet to receive the RC card.

This is what the status on Parivahan shows. Can anyone help me decipher it?

SMART CARD Generated 05-Mar-2023 12:39:04 by user SMARTCARD VENDOR RC Print Pending on 16-Feb-2023 15:46:57 by user Pending
Old 30th April 2023, 11:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Hi

This is for Karnataka. KA51 (Electeonics City RTO)

I have my car (HyCross) registered on Feb 16 2023 but yet to receive the RC card.

This is what the status on Parivahan shows. Can anyone help me decipher it?

SMART CARD Generated 05-Mar-2023 12:39:04 by user SMARTCARD VENDOR RC Print Pending on 16-Feb-2023 15:46:57 by user Pending
My Suzuki Access registered at Bangalore KA-03 RTO on 01-Feb-23 but still waiting for smart card. Parivahan status is similar to yours with date of 6-Feb. Not sure what to do next. The dealer (Aryan Motors Hoodi) is not helping and asking me to follow up with the RTO directly. Has anyone faced such delays in the getting RC card?
Old 30th April 2023, 12:27   #85
Senior - BHPian

Re: No More SmartCard DL / RC - Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2022 View Post
As someone who received her DL and RC (

(a) Is this genuine issue or have I been scammed somehow?

(b) How do people use an A4 Drivers License? Do police accept it? (Please don't give unhelpful responses regarding using mobile app etc., I am not comfortable with phones and prefer to carry original documents).

(c) Can this A4 page be used to enter an airport terminal?

(d) Is this A4 DL accepted when renting a car abroad? The smartcard looked smart and genuine - this A4 looks very scammy (I am embarrassed to present this anywhere).

(e) Is there any process to get a smartcard (I am willing to pay the fee, obviously).

Thanks in advance.
I have seen a news item recently about how Kerala issued paper licences aren't accepted overseas for rental cars or legal (police checking, in the case discussed). The transport department is issuing smart cards from this month and everyone has a year to comply, at reduced prices.

In short, if you're overseas expect to run into problems. In India, digital copies are enough.

Last edited by avira_tk : 30th April 2023 at 12:29. Reason: Extra words deleted
Old 1st May 2023, 05:51   #86
BHPian

Re: No More SmartCard DL / RC - Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I have seen a news item recently about how Kerala issued paper licences aren't accepted overseas for rental cars or legal (police checking, in the case discussed). The transport department is issuing smart cards from this month and everyone has a year to comply, at reduced prices.

In short, if you're overseas expect to run into problems. In India, digital copies are enough.
I could not use my recently renewed license from West Bengal (issued as an A4 printout) to rent a car in Dubai despite having an IDP.

It's also not recognized to enter airport terminals.

I hope there is a similar initiative by the West Bangal government to issue smartcards to those in this predicament.
Old 7th May 2023, 16:51   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post

Update:

So out of the blue I got an automated SMS from Nandi Toyota that my RC card had been received by them and I could pick it up from the dealership.

Went down and found that they had a significantly long list of vehicles for which the same had been delivered.

But my name was not in the list and they told me that they hadn’t got it. After some insistence and on showing them the SMS they moved a bit and found it in a few minutes.

Was I naive in thinking that the RC card would have come directly from RTO to home?
Old 9th May 2023, 20:57   #88

If anyone has renewed or obtained a driving licence recently, can you please confirm if we get driving licences with a chip these days?

I requested for a duplicate licence in Chandigarh since my old one (with a chip) was wearing off and becoming illegible - causes trouble abroad. The new one that I got does not have a chip, but has a QR code instead. Not being able to understand whether this change is due to the shortage of smart cards or this is the standard new format.

I did get a smart card with a chip for my RC last year, so guessing this is the new standard for licences?

Thanks much!
Attached Thumbnails
Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states-img_20230509_205033.jpg  

Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states-img_20230509_205041.jpg  

Old 19th May 2023, 13:24   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Suzuki Access registered at Bangalore KA-03 RTO on 01-Feb-23 but still waiting for smart card. Parivahan status is similar to yours with date of 6-Feb. Not sure what to do next. The dealer (Aryan Motors Hoodi) is not helping and asking me to follow up with the RTO directly. Has anyone faced such delays in the getting RC card?
--- Update ---

Today, 3.5 months after registration, received the smart card via speed post. Lot of anxiety during this time but there was no update all this while - No sms or any status update online.

All's well that ends well

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 19th May 2023 at 13:25.
Old 19th May 2023, 14:18   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Got RC from HR RTO in 3 weeks. Card has a QR Code, not a chip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks