Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 20:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Should there be a limit to technology in cars?

Clearly there are 2 components controlled by technology here: Safety and Comfort. While for comfort, we individuals can vote for or against a feature and with time the cumulative voting may help car manufacturers to keep the feature or scrap it. Like personally I hate rain sensing wipers, but many may like this feature.

Safety features should be more quantitative based on data. Like number of accidents, fatalities, car thefts and so on. Whether we like it or not, the feature will stay and grow with time or will be scrapped if the data pulls it to a negative direction.
Old 24th November 2021, 20:42   #32
BHPian

So far as the technology results in "assist" function and not a "control" function, it should be OK I think. Looking at the demand for features, I think this will further increase the dependency on technology.

Personally, I would love to drive a car with as less technology as it can have to give me a safe drive. I am ok to have features like say, voice command for making a call. Imagine having a sore throat and the car not recognizing your voice command to apply brakes!! Not a great scenario to be stuck in.

I would rather prefer things like back in early 2000 (or even earlier) where reliance on skill was more than technology I'd say. It strangely made me feel satisfied driving a car back then, when compared to the current tech overloaded cars.
Old 25th November 2021, 07:51   #33
BHPian

As car enthusiasts on this forum we might not be entirely unbiased in the argument about giving up control of our vehicles.

But the only thing that is constant is change.

There are a vast majority of us who use a car just to get from Point A to Point B and if any feature can help make that process safer and more comfortable then it's not something anyone should stop.

Computers are much faster in calculating parameters than humans ever could so features like ADAS if implemented properly will help avoid accidents and even one life saved by these features are worth giving up a little control.
Old 25th November 2021, 11:57   #34
BHPian

[quote=MaheshY1;5201810]
Quote:
I'm 100% with you on this. This is one feature I'm willing to pay to get rid of. I can live with even the sunroof but not telematics
I second your view over here, technology should not creep into one's privacy and automobile should be user friendly, where every driver gets to enjoy his ride rather than trying to figure out how to use the features.
SulemanP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:02   #35
BHPian

I disagree with the OP. I am sure every generation feels like theirs is the pinnacle of evolution and the subsequent generations are a degeneration! Likewise for cars. The only way is forward and forward means more tech, for the most part. The sooner we get onboard with understanding and using tech to our advantage, the better we will all be.

Guess what, the next generation, who never knew life the way we knew it, would be embracing all of the tech up to that point in time and they will have no reference to the joys of yore!

Also, point to note is that very little of the tech is invented in a vacuum without R&D and user preferences. The tech we see presented in cars is, by and large, what the consumers want. There will always be a market for niche products for niche customers who want the the undiluted purity of automotive experience but that is not going to be the majority. And as a result, all policies and infrastructure will be modified (eventually) towards the majority!
Arun Varma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:59   #36
BHPian

First off, there is no central agency for controlling technology in cars. So the discussion, though it generates a lot of enthusiasm and participation, would meander to nowhere.

That said, none of these technologies were put in the car on a whim by the manufacturer. Most of these technologies like remote keyless entries, ADAS features have been around for more than a decade, if not decades in premium brands and other markets.

There would be a market research ( individual or collaborative), followed by converting the result into features in the premium segment(R&D from auto manufacturers), mostly in US/EUROPE, and then percolates into the lower segments after a few years, again in US/EUROPE, and then trickles down to India.

Guess the common man likes some of the much hated features and they are in the majority!
But what we should be worried about is the implementation than the feature. Each manufacturer implements differently and that’s were we would beget woes.

ADAS in an XUV700 might not invoke the same level of confidence as that of ADAS in, say, S-class . The starter motor could fail abruptly in the mechanical model and the keyless entry could work flawlessly depending on the quality of engineering and materials.

Note from Mod: Post edited. Please only use spaces after punctuation marks and not before them. Do see point #2 (Expected Posting Etiquette) for more info.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th November 2021 at 17:46. Reason: Please see the Mod Note in your post.
careind is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks