Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2022, 15:09   #211
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
While the claims of Hot formed and High strength steel sound promising, the 5 stage paint process is a bit disappointing considering the Polo goes through a 11 stage paint process as highlighted in older VW videos

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-polo_paintprocess.png
vagman is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 15:22   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtoman View Post
1. 1.0L TSI automatic top-end to be priced around 19 lakhs OTR
2. 1.5L TSI automatic top-end to be priced around 23 lakhs OTR
Going by the pricing strategy of car makers nowadays, I am kind of inclined to believe this would be actual prices as well.
VigneshMC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 17:41   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagman View Post
While the claims of Hot formed and High strength steel sound promising, the 5 stage paint process is a bit disappointing considering the Polo goes through a 11 stage paint process as highlighted in older VW videos

Attachment 2263292
I think both are entirely different. The video talks about 5 - layer paint and not on how many stages it is painted. And I think that the entire painting process is done by the bots as seen from the video which may have reduced the number of stages. If you watch the polo video, there is some manual painting at the start.
Nightfury29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 18:53   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfury29 View Post
I think both are entirely different. The video talks about 5 - layer paint and not on how many stages it is painted. And I think that the entire painting process is done by the bots as seen from the video which may have reduced the number of stages. If you watch the polo video, there is some manual painting at the start.
Yes, that is also possible. Has VW released how many layer paint they apply on Polo/Vento?
Old 21st January 2022, 19:31   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtoman View Post
Hey guys,

So I called up a dealer person in Kerala and he mentioned the following,
======
Any other enthusiasts have similar experience with estimated prices?
As per the dealer in Bangalore (HSR Layout), it's expected to be priced similar to Kushaq so this is totally believable.
Raskolnikov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 22:22   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-20220121_115223.jpg
This thing looks so delicious, very subtle, not too fluidic yet very elegant and contemporary. I just love those line, except Yeti which was bit quirky, I adore all the designs of Skoda right from the first gen Octavia to their latest offerings.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_20220121_1629292.jpg

One of my very close friend picked up a Ford Freestyle & Tiago in 2019 and I suggested him to try Rapid since he had the budget but he had his own reasons not to buy one, well, 3 years later when he drove my DSG (his reaction was- kya bawaal chiz h be), he is regretting not picking one back then

Since, he is not comfortable with Ford fiasco, he might as well consider Slavia as an upgrade. Skoda, if you are listening, consider me as your unofficial sales dude, 2 are already down, 3rd buyer is in the making.
sachin_cs is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 21:52   #217

Billed as - 'Honda City slayer'. Let's hope this one is a winner!!
Tripper_trooper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 01:32   #218

Quote:
the 5 stage paint process is a bit disappointing considering the Polo goes through a 11 stage paint process as highlighted in older VW videos
It quite interests me that people are getting disappointed by the lack of 11 stage paint process but never bothering to find out what other brands are doing. I have never seen anyone ask Maruti, Hyundai or Kia how many stages they are painting their cars.

Lots of people compare features and say this car has more features, but do we bother to look at the quality of those features? If someone is selling something cheap then that's precisely what you will be getting.

Having used a Skoda VW car for the last 14 years and still owning a couple of them, what I can say is that the quality of earlier cars cannot be compared to the current quality of their cars. They built premium cars, wanted premium pricing but we didn't want to pay. They adjusted their strategy, started lowering the quality of the cars, reduced spare prices but kept the premium pricing so that they can entice with discounts and sell. Even if they price it at par, they know people would want discounts and go by what they have done with Kushaq, discounting already. Expect a premium pricing on Slavia and then expect discounts. We can never have the same old quality of their cars, but then we can only nitpick so much.

I have been reading a lot more of the forum after my membership got approved, what I am noticing is that people are becoming less of an enthusiast and more of a cynic. We will never get everything, it's about the best compromise we can achieve with our cars while keeping our love alive for our cars.
AnandSancheti is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 08:33   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandSancheti View Post
It quite interests me that people are getting disappointed by the lack of 11 stage paint process but never bothering to find out what other brands are doing. I have never seen anyone ask Maruti, Hyundai or Kia how many stages they are painting their cars.
I think it is making people apprehensive because back in 2014, we saw Honda commit hara kiri just like this. They did create a lot of buzz initially with the Gen4 City, but look where they are now. Their brand equity is in the dumps and they have lost loyal customer after loyal customer, yours truly included. Moral of the story? You should never compromise on quality at the altar of costs, especially if people expect quality from you.

People buy Skodas because they expect a level of quality and depth of engineering not found in Japanese and Korean competition. And it is also a fact that whenever companies have ‘Indianised’ a product, it has never ended well. Only time will tell how much of Škoda’s changes will actually affect long term ownership and customer expectations. But one thing is sure. Diluting your USPs to blindly ape a market leader usually comes back to bite you.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 24th January 2022 at 08:40.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 09:30   #220
Team-BHP Support

Not sure of 11 stage and 5 layer paint difference with older VAG group products - but Slavia doesn't seem to be lacking in paint quality. Had seen these shots in the Evo India gallery and was very impressed by the red!

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-evoindia_202111_1bfac7cef30648dfa9cc56a9855f0e56_gto_5026.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-evoindia_202111_9afd459d5558468b93a095e61c848d4e_gto_5067.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th January 2022 at 09:34.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:18   #221
BHPian

I am in the market for a reasonably priced daily driver. The Slavia and Kushaq were on the top of my list. Unfortunately, coming from a Laura and a Jetta, the amount of cost cutting in the interior of the Kushaq put me off it. This is too seems to be similar if the photos are anything to go by.

I genuinely miss the days when a sub 30 L budget got you a car that was well put together. Even the modern Octavia and Superb are no where close to their predecessors. I can't go up a segment from there for several reasons, and I just keep delaying the decision because I am not happy with anything low profile I have seen so far. Perhaps the time has come to adjust my expectations.
imp! is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 08:40   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I think it is making people apprehensive because back in 2014, we saw Honda commit hara kiri just like this. They did create a lot of buzz initially with the Gen4 City, but look where they are now. Their brand equity is in the dumps and they have lost loyal customer after loyal customer, yours truly included. Moral of the story? You should never compromise on quality at the altar of costs, especially if people expect quality from you.
I see this as more of an enthusiast's view or rant and not a holistic view of the situation. I don't believe the reason for Honda losing sales is localization. They have not kept up with the market trend and they are fixated over the City. If Honda launches a localized SUV and even if they price it at a little premium over the Koreans - I am sure it will sell record volumes. Many customers have moved out Honda stable due to lack of choice rather than some other brand aspect.

Also, the Gen 4 City was not an initial buzz. It is Honda's bestseller in India till date in terms of the sales volumes. Don't think the 5th Gen can overtake it as the trend is now towards SUVs. The 5th Gen City is still the #1 selling Sedan in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
And it is also a fact that whenever companies have ‘Indianised’ a product, it has never ended well. Only time will tell how much of Škoda’s changes will actually affect long term ownership and customer expectations. But one thing is sure.
Again, not sure if the facts support your statement depending on what is "ended well". For most companies "ended well" is more sales volumes - sure the enthusiast may not like it . Where Skoda and VW were - they have nothing to lose. If you see the monthly volumes of Kushaq and Taigun, both are selling more than what Skoda or VW were each managing to sell with their entire portfolio before the launch of these SUVs.

Currently the Rapid sells in 3 digits and Vento sells in 2 digits. Given those stats, the Slavia will surely be a big upgrade in terms of the monthly volumes.
The initial niggles will be there - but I believe things will iron out over a year.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 26th January 2022 at 09:03.
vsrivatsa is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 12:02   #223
Senior - BHPian

Skoda India gives a overview of Slavia's Comfort and Technology features.

Old 27th January 2022, 21:29   #224
BHPian

Dear Team-BHP'ians
As one of the folks who have pre booked 1.5 DSG variant of SLAVIA, the horror stories for DQ200 spread across this form haunts me. So I had a chat over whatsappwith my sales manager to understand the warranty provided to Kushaq (Hoping it would be the same for Slavia)
I was particularly interested to know if there is a mechatronics failure, will the DSG gearbox be covered under warranty/extended warranty for 6 yrs

This was his response:
Just pay 29,499/- on your kushaq and get additional 2 years or 50,000kms on extending the warranty. Totally you will be having 6 years or 1,50,000kms of warranty.

Skoda extended warranty coverage list as follows:
𝟭. Engine.
𝟮. Manual transmission.
𝟯. Auto transmission.
𝟰. Fuel Injectors.
𝟱. All Electronic sensors.
𝟲. Front struts and rear shock absorbers.
𝟳. Steering rack and steering column.
𝟴. Engine control modules.
𝟵. High pressure fuel pump, low pressure fuel pump, fuel metering valve.
𝟭𝟬. Wheel speed sensors.
*100℅ spares and Labor charges will be covered in this warranty plan.

Benefits to customer:
100℅ Manufacturer's warranty.
*Benefits can be redeemed at any authorised Skoda Dealerships across PAN India🇮🇳
*Trouble free ownership experience as your car is serviced by Skoda professionals.

#Terms and conditions apply.

------------ I was persistently asking same Q again --------------
[He] You have to get the servicing done at Authorised dealers. You should not skip periodic services. There should be no non genuine Fittments in the car. There should be genuine manufacturing defects. Then only Skoda will approve to give warranty on any defected parts Sir.
All major components have warranty and extended warranty Sir except wear and tear parts like brake pads, brake discs, clutch components, tyres, wiper blades, bulbs, suspension bushes.

[Me] Thank you sir...will mechatronics failure (if it has to occur) come under wear and tear? I ask this because few of my friends have octy/rapid and they paid 50k to 95k later due to DSG gearbox issue

[He] Sir, in the car everything is wear and tear parts. In that engine, manual gearbox, automatic transmission, steering rack, steering column, fuel system, sensors, control modules etc will be having warranty and extended warranty. So don't worry Sir. Have a complete peace of mind till six years.

[Me] My biggest concern is - i don't want to shell 1lac two three yrs down the line of DsG gives problems

[He] Don't worry Sir, we are here to support customers. You just maintain the car periodically and have genuine Fittments. Rest we will take care.

So, to conclude, I'm still not convinced that DQ220 (In Kushaq/Taigun & Slavia) will be free of niggles in long term and whether skoda will take care as they are talking here.

Should I give a skip to 1.5 DSG and go for the 1L (TC) variant or Is it wise to skip SKODA/VSG as brands themselves?
Venkatr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 16:16   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatr View Post
Dear Team-BHP'ians
As one of the folks who have pre booked 1.5 DSG variant of SLAVIA, the horror stories for DQ200 spread across this form haunts me. So I had a chat over whatsappwith my sales manager to understand the warranty provided to Kushaq (Hoping it would be the same for Slavia)
Which dealer is this in Bangalore?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed