Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2022, 16:37   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatr View Post

So, to conclude, I'm still not convinced that DQ220 (In Kushaq/Taigun & Slavia) will be free of niggles in long term and whether skoda will take care as they are talking here.

Should I give a skip to 1.5 DSG and go for the 1L (TC) variant or Is it wise to skip SKODA/VSG as brands themselves?
Take the extended warranty. I am quite sure the mechatronics will be covered in it, but I am equally sure the clutch pack and flywheel won't be (especially if it's past 3-4 years of age). Clutch pack and flywheel replacement costs are borderline 6 digit figures IIRC (around 1-1.2L).

If you don't want the hassle of all this, get a 1.5 TSI manual or a 1.0 TC.
vishy76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 16:51   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Which dealer is this in Bangalore?
Raja Ganesh Motors, Marathalli
Old 29th January 2022, 12:55   #228
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia to arrive in showrooms by 2nd week of February, launch date announcement soon.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220129125425_twitter.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:19   #229
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia test drives to begin in March.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220131101523_twitter.jpg

Delay for the cars to reach the showrooms is due to Homologation.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220131101739_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:50   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking forward to test drive the 1.5 TSI manual. I hope they offer one in the Ambition trim, with all essential features such as reverse camera and cruise control under 15 lakhs ex-showroom. With the new draft regulation on providing 6 air bags as a mandatory requirement, Skoda has an opportunity to introduce this feature across all variants as Kia has done with the Carens. Plus other standard safety features like ESP which I expect across variants just like in the Kushaq, should make this a very interesting proposition. Add the almost-SUV-like ground clearance and you have an all-rounder that will be fast, fuel efficient, fun to drive and safe that can go nearly everywhere. The MT would hopefully be a nice slick shifting unit with lower clutch pedal height than in the Kushaq.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 31st January 2022 at 10:52.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:39   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

ŠKODA Slavia in assembly line:

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-220127skodaslaviaproduction1440x961.jpg

Source: ŠKODA
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:32   #232
BHPian

Any tentative date on when Slavia will be available in showroom? I saw tweets from Zac that says second week of Feb. But any bhpian booked/shown interest in Slavia got any update from dealers?
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:42   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Any tentative date on when Slavia will be available in showroom? I saw tweets from Zac that says second week of Feb. But any bhpian booked/shown interest in Slavia got any update from dealers?
The dealer called me to update that the cars will be in the showroom on the 10th Feb. I had also pre-booked it, but am cancelling my booking as we went ahead with our Hector Plus.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:21   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Plus other standard safety features like ESP which I expect across variants just like in the Kushaq
Škoda already confirmed standard fitment of ESC for the Slavia during the product unveil.
Name:  Screenshot 20220203 at 12.49.36 PM.png
Views: 384
Size:  280.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
With the new draft regulation on providing 6 air bags as a mandatory requirement, Skoda has an opportunity to introduce this feature across all variants as Kia has done with the Carens.
In other emerging markets like Latin America all of VW's new launches have had head airbags as standard since Latin NCAP since 2016 has required a pole test for five stars. However, the GNCAP has slightly modified the protocol for use in India from mid-2022 and unlike Latin NCAP you will only need 30% of the sales volume to have side head airbags for five stars, so Škoda might not go ahead with standard fitment unless the Government mandate comes into force on schedule (I will be pleasantly surprised if it does, but I expect resistance and lobbying from the auto industry because of the highly unusual equipment-based nature of the mandate instead of performance-based like in developed markets)

VW-Škoda should lead by example like they did with standard fitment of frontal airbags in 2014. Considering just how much of a difference vehicle safety is now making in buying decisions, now would be a good time. This time Kia has beat them to it, and even in the same segment the Honda New City has head curtains on all but one variant.

Last edited by ron178 : 3rd February 2022 at 13:26.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:47   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
However, the GNCAP has slightly modified the protocol for use in India from mid-2022 and unlike Latin NCAP you will only need 30% of the sales volume to have side head airbags for five stars, so Škoda might not go ahead with standard fitment
hi Ron, I couldn't comprehend the above part. If a model in a manufacturers line up constitutes to 30% of their volumes, they've to have side head airbags to qualify for 5 star ? Is that what you meant?
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 15:22   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
hi Ron, I couldn't comprehend the above part. If a model in a manufacturers line up constitutes to 30% of their volumes, they've to have side head airbags to qualify for 5 star ? Is that what you meant?
No, it means that at least 30% of the sales volume of that particular model must be fit with a side head protection device (like a curtain airbag) in order to be eligible for a five star rating for adults. In addition, the performance of the device must be verified using an old version of a Euro NCAP lateral pole test conducted at a Global NCAP accredited lab.

What I meant is that Škoda could make curtain airbags available on the Slavia only on the Style variant, and if the Style variant makes up at least 30% of the Slavia's sales volume it would still be eligible for a (late*) 2022 five star adult rating (of course, this is only if its performance in the front and side impact turns out good enough for that rating).

Personally, I think they should go ahead and make it standard regardless of the 30% fitment rate or even if the Government mandate gets delayed.

(*they still have a publication left under the current protocol (it was supposed to be in late January but I don't know what happened) so the new protocol will only be introduced in July 2022)

Latin NCAP from 2016-19 required the model to have a head protection device as standard to achieve five stars. Global NCAP for (late*) 2022 has adopted an assessment protocol very similar to 2016 Latin NCAP, however they made some changes which include a minimum fitment rate for head airbags required to score five stars instead of requiring them as standard. That is why you will find that equivalent Volkswagen models in Latin America had six airbags as standard (VW and Toyota never settled for anything less than five for new models) but in India even newly launched models only have them as optional.

Fitment rates are model-specific and are not related to the rest of the manufacturer's fleet.

Just as an example of how fitment rates work, until 2019, Latin NCAP had a minimum fitment rate for ESC to qualify for an ESC test. Take, for example, the Renault Sandero. It had ESC as optional, but the sales volume of ESC was too low for it to be eligible for an ESC test, so its score was limited to three stars since an ESC test was another prerequisite for four stars.

The purpose of including non-100% fitment rates in the evaluation is to give credit for optional safety systems, especially for systems which would greatly increase the entry price for the model if made standard. However it is important to have a minimum sales volume of the system because manufacturers would otherwise greatly overprice the optional system and very few consumers would buy it, making it unfair to give it credit. For example, they would definitely not want to give the VW Polo an extra star just because the GTI version had curtain airbags, hence the minimum % sales volume.

Fitment rates are also important because they mean that manufacturers will then engineer the model to be able to accommodate the system while also not increasing the entry price for the model (as would be the case if the requirement was for them to be standard) so that there will be no problem making it standard in the future instead of waiting for another whole product cycle just because the current generation model has not been developed to fit that system.

Due to discounts from safety equipment suppliers for higher OEM purchase volumes, in many cases, manufacturers will find it cheaper to buy the extra airbags or ESC modules in bulk and make them standard instead of, say, meeting an 80% fitment rate.

This also means that a car of standard safety specification will be used for the front and MDB side impact but the pole test and ESC test will be done on a car that has the optional ESC or head airbags and hence higher safety equipment than the basic variant. The rating will then be not only for variants with basic equipment but for the model as a whole. While the rating will likely still show the basic specification (eg. Kia SONET - 2 AIRBAGS), a version with six airbags may have been used for the pole test, which if you ask me is kind of misleading for consumers so they should ideally stop putting the number of airbags along with the model name or a consumer might think a model passed the pole test with just two airbags.

Note that the fitment rates are dynamic, i.e., they change every year. The GNCAP expects that the manufacturer will increase fitment every year and eventually make the system standard.

Here are the requirements for five stars:
Name:  Screenshot 20220203 at 2.53.45 PM.png
Views: 400
Size:  16.2 KB

And here for four stars:
Name:  Screenshot 20220203 at 2.53.08 PM.png
Views: 397
Size:  100.5 KB

It is important to note that a car can also lose stars if it is found that the fitment rate no longer meets the minimum sales volume. Expect a flurry of aggravated consumers no longer being able to brag about the star rating their car holds, or buyers accusing the GNCAP of misleading them.

Last edited by ron178 : 3rd February 2022 at 15:25.
ron178 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:25   #237
BHPian

Spotted a cavalcade of LHD VW/Škoda group cars during my morning ride to Pawana today. Looks like a test route for them(Pawana-Aundholi-Lonavala). Almost all the latest/to be launched models were being driven in both the direction. I remember spotting Slavia, Taigun, VW Virtus(camouflaged) - all LHD.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-de355a4a1fba4852a16e26c01326c91b.jpeg

PS - Mods, please move the post to relevant thread if this isn’t the right one.
abhi_tjet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 21:29   #238
BHPian

Uncamoflauged blue Slavia spotted, the rear profile looks wide! Not a fan of the hanging exhaust though, should have been covered better.

vagman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:24   #239
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia test drives, price reveal and deliveries timeline as of now.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220204092124_twitter.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20220204092141_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 16:17   #240
Senior - BHPian

High GC is practical but it kills the look of the car. It is going to look odd in any colors other than red and blue.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed