Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2022, 15:36   #391
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

I actually feel that the pricing is actually pretty good! The main question now is what they offer in the different variants - those have to hold up against the City. The top variant has a 75-80k premium at the ex showroom price only and might cross 1 lac on-road. Can't really say the premium is justified for the top models even if it gets 2-3 extra features.

Seeing Kushaq, the lower variants are not that loaded so the City will have the edge there especially with 4 airbags from the base variant.

And for all those saying that the 1L Turbo is absolutely amazing in front the 1.5 VTEC, sure it absolutely smokes it in a drag race but when you have to drive it normal driving conditions, the low end of the turbo engine is appalling. Unless you drive at high revs 80-90 % of the time, the VTEC is much more fun to drive in normal daily driving.
AutoConsultant is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 16:35   #392
BHPian

Slavia Active Walkaround

A sedan which shockingly misses out on Front and Rear Armrests! This is a fairly barebones variant, should not be priced over 10L ex showroom in my opinion.

vagman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 17:16   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer shares tentative price list for the Slavia sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The tentative prices for the Skoda Slavia are out. As per this price list, the Slavia range could start from Rs. 10.80 lakh (ex-showroom).
I doubt these prices are true. While according to this "leaked price list", most Slavia variants are priced about 30-70K below the corresponding Kushaq variants, the Slavia Style 1.5 TSI MT alone is priced 21K higher than the corresponding Kushaq variant! This makes no sense at all.

Also, this makes the difference in prices between the top end 1.0 TSI range and the bottom end of the 1.5 TSI range is almost a lakh! Whereas in the case of the Kushaq, there is no difference. i.e., the 1.0 TSI Style AT is prices equal to 1.5 TSI Style MT. Also, the 1.0 TSI Style AT variant alone, the Kushaq is priced at a whopping 74K premium to the corresponding Slavia. I think Skoda will come with a high level of differentiation in pricing between the 1.0 and 1.5 variants. This is the reason launch is staggered to two days. The above variant price point, spoils that differentiation.

With so many oddities, my guess is some Youtube Auto journalist has been cleverly cooking up some speculative prices here My prediction continues to be that Skoa will go much more aggressive on the 1.0 TSI lower variants, with a starting price below 10 lakhs and go more premium on the 1.5 TSI variants.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-capture.png  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th February 2022 at 17:19.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 18:10   #394
BHPian

One more failure owed to disastrous pricing strategy
Slavia is amazing looking car with right ingredients to revive 4.4-4.5m sedan space. If priced correctly it can give City run for its money but with these numbers the sales will be in between 200-600 after first 3 months of launch.

It seems Skoda/ VW group is not willing to achieve numbers, Kushaq, Taigun, Slavia all are overpriced
Old 12th February 2022, 19:15   #395
BHPian

Right from the beginning I was very interested for the Slavia since seldom we see a brand so much enthusiastic towards sedan that too a relatively premium one and even OEMs know the fact that sedans are a dying segment and if they want to sell a sedan car it has to be really good so that it can attract customers from the midsize SUV space, Škoda does make some very nice sedans and most of their success and revenues in the yesteryears came from sedans only which is why I have had high hopes that they've really put their heart and soul into their new sedan to make it stand out and almost the perfect in its segment, so when news came that Slavia has hit the showroom floors I just couldn't hold my horses and rushed to my nearest dealership today to see the car, as most of us are really intrigued about the quality and fit finish part I first decided to head to a Volkswagen showroom to check out the Taigun and set it as a benchmark. My observation for the Slavia goes as follows:-
  • The car looks really nice in that Lava Blue shade, yeah it ain't saturated that much as seen in the photos and is actually very similar to the blue shade offered in the Renault Kiger but still it looks very nice and especially the side profile gave me the vibes of the erstwhile 3rd gen Octavia, long wheelbase helps it lending road presence and stand out among a sea of CSUVs. Škoda had gotten its proportions smaller than expected in the Kushaq but here they have manged to strike the right balance.

• Škoda has a terrible choice of OEMs when it comes to tyres don't they and the Slavia is no different, the display car came fitted with Ceat tyres, a car so powerful(especially the 1.5TSi model) with supposedly best driving dynamics in its segment does deserve better tyres and no less than Michelin/Yokohama IMHO but then again Škoda has provided us with rubbish GoodYear Eagle NCT5 in their erstwhile Superb and Octavia which created a hell lot of tyre noise, gave up on even slightly more demanding situations and wore out in about 10-15k kilometres or so, sorry for a bit of over-reaction but IMHO tyres are a very integral part and every OEM should provide such rubber which is perfectly suitable for their cars.

• The boot space is massive and a huge improvement over the erstwhile Rapid and is more in line with the older gen Octavia though I would've liked if Škoda would have had been simply clever here and provided us with the dual boot or boot+rear windshield opening option like they did with the last gen Superb(refer to the 2014 Superb review if you didn't get what I said, link https://www.google.com/url?client=in...JrkPXTprj_Y5h5. One point I would like to add, the boot had partial cladding only and the boot's ceiling was left naked without any padding and even though there were no dangling wires it was looking a bit odd, especially considering its a premium Škoda.

• The interiors are a real level up from both Kushaq and Taigun and at first glance looks extremely premium, it almost seems that after being bashed left right and centre for Kushaq's iffy interior quality and dull colour scheme they've gone full throttle and given their full heart in making Slavia's interiors, the golden beige theme looks very upmarket and the dashboards' plastic even though hard were very robustly built with no irregular panel gap, the round vents at the side actually reminded me of the Chevrolet Cruze. Unlike the Kushaq in which the seat leather felt very aftermarket with poor fitting Slavia has very premium perforated upholstery with perfect fitting. The roofliner has been updated and the texture is very smooth(in comparison to the Taigun which had very utilitarian woven roof-liner), even though I've been very impressed with the improvement in the interiors still there is a lot more way to go, for instance the central lock/unlock switch still felt flimsy, the roofliner was rough and unfinished at the edges(felt like it would just detach in the years to come considering our harsh heat), also unlike the segment stalwart 5th gen Honda City there ain't no soft touch leather trims present in the the door pads and centre console(they really drive up the luxury quotient by several notches), instead Škoda has given piano black finish on the dashboard which even though appealing has a tendency to get scratched and marred easily(even the brand new display car had scratches on the piano black areas!)

• The doors felt really hefty(same like Taigun) and the rear door even though a bit lighter than the front ones(again same as the Taigun) was very hefty and definitely had the solid premium reassuring thunk. The insulation has also been done very nicely and no cost cutting there, even though I couldn't check the engine bay(I don't think so it has any claddings as the Taigun also didn't have any) but there were proper full wheel arch claddings(even cars like Fortuner doesn't have one!), the door beadings were all in place and supposedly of better quality than the one in Kushaq and I hope it doesn't squeak in the future.

• The cabins even though spacious and airy didn't feel like very very spacious as suggested by Škoda going by how much they stressed on it being longer than 1st gen Octavia, I have a perfect 6' frame and I felt very comfortable behind my own driving position though I must say that Honda City easily has ~3-4" more legroom although things are much much better here than the Hyundai Verna.

Overall I'm very happy with the product and it does seem like Škoda has put much more effort in making this as compared to Kushaq which to be very honest just feels like a half-hearted job. The exteriors are beautiful, the interiors are well appointed, the space and comfort is actually very good, the features on offer are satisfactory and even though I couldn't drive it, knowing that it's a Škoda and has a very potent set of engines and transmission combos which coupled with supposedly good driving dynamics truly makes it an all rounder performer just like the erstwhile Škoda Octavia. This product has definitely a potential and has the ability to make its own niche(just like the Thar), all boils down to pricing now, I really hope that Škoda prices it lower than expected as introductory which will lead to more footfalls in the showroom and once the car gains momentum price it where you wanted just like what the Thar, Magnite and XUV700 doing which by the way are all very successful in their respective segment.Some photographs for your viewing pleasure. Thank you! Stay safe and happy motoring

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_1f83ceb9657f1.jpeg
Looks very nice and reminiscent to bigger Škoda sedans, the lava blue shade is a lot sober in real and is similar to the blue shade of Kiger

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_1721feddfea61.jpeg
The rear again with the C-shape LED taillamps and bold letterings make it look very elegant and nicely resembles it with its elder siblings.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_ea6e2c0e7a911.jpeg
The alloys look very stylish and nice(just like the Kushaq) but horrible choice of tyres, the ones who would be buying 1.5TSi especially are recommended to swap them with Michelins even if they wish to keep the size stock.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_402f725f76c11.jpeg
The boot is very spacious and a huge improvement over the Rapid and more in line with the erstwhile Octavia though I wish Škoda to be "Simply Clever" here and gave the option to open the rear windshield as well like they did with last gen Superb.(https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...acelift-20.jpg)

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_e3d1b73895431.jpeg
Not expected at all with Škoda that too when they are trying to establish it as a premium car, even though no dangling wires are visible they ought to have covered it.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_0d4a9cfef24b1.jpeg
The doors are thick, hefty and have that reassuring thud expected from Škoda, also note that proper insulation and rubber beadings have been used(supposedly of better quality than the one in Kushaq), full marks here.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_9580be8159951.jpeg
The interiors are well appointed and that golden yellow scheme does feel upmarket in reality, also most of the quality issues have been sorted out and even though some small switches still don't feel tactile they are no more dealbreakers IMHO.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_7f2ea920e8ce1.jpeg
The same digital instrument cluster as found in the Taigun, looks alright though considering the expected premium pricing at least the top-end models should've gotten the full digital configurable dials like in the T-Roc.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-img_d24fa8e2261f1.jpeg
The updated roof-liner, looks fine now and no one shall complain though those having a hawk-eye can notice the irregular fit at the corners though I think that it would be sorted out in the future batches.

Last edited by Tony2298 : 12th February 2022 at 19:18. Reason: Typo,proof-reading
Tony2298 is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 20:49   #396
BHPian

I own a Jazz and a Hexa. I had my eye on the Slavia as a replacement for the Jazz. I guess that is not happening any more. The best I can hope for is Tata launching a sedan that undercuts the City/Slavia duo by a significant amount. And I hope Tata doesn't equip that sedan with an AMT.

I think there is a market here - albeit a small one. Let me explain. I love the Hexa. However, I can't do things with that car that I can with the Jazz (and this is a tallish hatch with a CVT). There are times when I want to drive around in a low slung car with an auto box.
kovilkalai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 21:44   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2298 View Post
Attachment 2271780
Not expected at all with Škoda that too when they are trying to establish it as a premium car, even though no dangling wires are visible they ought to have covered it.
Actually, this is the case with the current Vento and Rapid too. Even our 2014 model doesn't have any covering.

Not sure about the Jetta/ Octavia and above.
Old 12th February 2022, 23:08   #398
BHPian

I visited KUN Skoda showroom in Chennai today as I went to collect my RC and used the opportunity to check out Slavia. Showroom foot falls (Multiple families checking out Slavia) have definitely increased compared to my earlier visits during my purchase where only a odd customer checking out Kodiaq.

Showroom had 3 Slavias on display - Two Top variant (Style) and one Mid Variant (Ambition) in Blue, Carbon steel and White color. No Kodiaqs are seen today as there were 3 Kodiaqs were seen 2 weeks ago. Somehow I felt Carbon steel looks better in Kushaq than Slavia. Blue is nice but White shows the front and rear details better. Exterior is clean and likable as seen.

Interior is very familiar to Kushaq as most parts were the same except for color theme, roof liner, dashboard, seats and few other bits. I felt seats are quite different to Kushaq. Rear seats are bucket seats which makes raised rear middle seat more pronounced. In Style, I felt seats are good but in Ambition I somehow felt driver front seat width slightly smaller to eye. It may be due to the low seating position. Another interesting aspect is the interior space. Given it is a Sedan and low seating position, I have to push the front passenger seat a bit more backwards so that my leg does not hit the dashboard (I am 6 feet tall) reduces the rear seat space behind me. I think this is because the wheel base is the same.

In manual version, pedals are smaller and could have been made sportier. Also the center golden brown Dashboard strip seen in Style is more toned down in Ambition with subtle creamish color which gels more with the theme.

It seems all variants carry the same tyre size R16. I did not checked the spare tyre. Interestingly, I do not remember seeing the boot lid cladding and was surprised since the preview shows partial boot lid cladding. May be others can confirm.

I did not spent much time or clicked many pictures since many families are busy checking out all the cars. Just took a picture to see how Blue color comes in my mobile phone.

I hope Skoda prices it sensibly (Expected to undercut Kushaq at least by 50,000 INR with top most variant 1.5 TSI Style DSG at 21 Lakhs compared to 22 Lakhs of Kushaq in Chennai) and take the fight head on to Honda City. Two days ago, on the launch day of Slavia (10 Feb), Honda has a full page advertisement in Times of India, Chennai edition about the features offered in City. So competition is noticing and gearing up for the fight.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-slavia.jpg  

Last edited by thanixravindran : 12th February 2022 at 23:28.
thanixravindran is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 09:02   #399
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia Active 1.0L MT variant walkaround

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213090529_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213090610_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213090653_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213090714_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213090831_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213090851_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213090948_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213091009_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213091119_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213091210_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213091232_youtube.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th February 2022 at 09:14.
Venkatesh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 10:40   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Rapid Rider was a worthy variant for people with limited budget with reference to ergonomics and comfort as it did not skip on the front and rear armrests. The base felt as good as the ambition variant comfort wise. Wish Skoda gave the same in Slavia Active variant.

For now, I am happy they haven't skipped the rear adjustable headrests in the active variant. I remember Ciaz and City skipped on them in the past.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th February 2022 at 06:56. Reason: Capitalization
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 11:43   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Waiting for the reviews here. But when I look at the comments on pricing, all I can wonder is what are people smoking. When I bought my Vento (1.6 MPI AT) in 2012, it cost upwards of ₹10 l ex showroom. Adjusting that for the income tax cost inflation index between 2012-13 (200) and today (317), that becomes ₹15.85 l, almost exactly in line with the Slavia 1.0 AT Style variant, which is larger, and more powerful than my dear old Vento - and also has features like a Digital Cockpit which I didn’t get back then. Comparing the Slavia 1.5 DSG, which is almost as powerful as my 2010 Superb Elegance, with the City makes no sense whatsoever, this is a car that is superior to even the Civic that Honda sold in India.

Let’s wait for the actual prices - but the fact is that these rumoured prices are very attractive indeed.
Hayek is online now   (52) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 11:43   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Rapid rider was a worthy variant for people with limited budget wrt ergonomics and comfort as it did not skip on the front and rear armrests. The base felt as good as the ambition variant comfort wise. Wish Skoda gave the same in Slavia Active variant.
Arm rests are so important and one wonders how much do they save by removing it.

With some work, front arm rest can probably be installed. A related polo DIY thread may be useful: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...llation-3.html (VW Polo DIY: GTI-spec Front Armrest installation)
Old 13th February 2022, 11:46   #403
BHPian

It's so good to see Skoda not going overboard with big alloys and thin side wall trend and has equipped with 205/55 R16 which essentially has 112mm sidewall, I feel pity for those running 185/55R16s on our Indian roads. From practicality point of view, the active variant has been shod with the most sensible tyre profile, I can only imagine the ride quality with those 195/65 R15 and if changed to softer compund like Michelin then it would be Aladdin's carpet, I'm more excited to drive the base variant

Quote:
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213090610_youtube.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Adjusting that for the income tax cost inflation index between 2012-13 (200) and today (317), that becomes ₹15.85 l, almost exactly in line with the Slavia 1.0 AT Style variant, which is larger, and more powerful than my dear old Vento - and also has features like a Digital Cockpit which I didn’t get back then. Comparing the Slavia 1.5 DSG, which is almost as powerful as my 2010 Superb Elegance, with the City makes no sense whatsoever, this is a car that is superior to even the Civic that Honda sold in India.
Couldn't agree more.

Last edited by sachin_cs : 13th February 2022 at 11:49.
sachin_cs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 13:23   #404
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Skoda Slavia Active 1.0L MT variant walkaround
Base variant of Honda City (VX) is quite well equipped, with respect to - Skoda Slavia Active variant, as shown in the video.
  • 15” Alloy wheels
  • Auto AC
  • Alexa connect
  • Honda connect
  • +2 Airbags
  • Push button start/stop
  • Rear view camera with guidelines
  • Cruise control
  • TPMS deflation warning
  • Projector headlamps (vs reflector type)
  • Shark fin antenna
  • 8” infotainment system (vs 7”)
  • Rear AC vents
  • Armrest - front and rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagman View Post
This is a fairly barebones variant, should not be priced over 10L ex showroom in my opinion.
Certainly Slavia Active variant should not be priced above ₹ 10 lakhs ex-showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Sorry, but how are you comparing Verna 1 Turbo with 1.5 TSI in performance version? Verna 1 Turbo is equal to 1 TSI. Infact Rapid with 1 TSI is a better performer than Verna Turbo.
There is no current competition for 1.5 TSI in sedans. If Verna would have come with 1.4 Turbo it would have costed another 2 lakhs more.
You are absolutely correct, in fact I was thinking on similar lines. But then price comparison box was empty and Hyundai has something in their variant list to offer. From optics perspective - one get less power and torque, but has to pay much less too. Nevertheless, it is not apples to apples comparison as you rightly pointed out.
Old 13th February 2022, 14:00   #405
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia Ambition 1.0L TSI Manual variant walkaround

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213135115_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213135012_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213135042_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213135250_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213135304_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213135325_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213135345_youtube.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20220213135448_youtube.jpg