Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

Every time there is such a release from Skoda/VW/Nissan, the automotive world prays that it works for the company. I don't know if it's just me but the looks are too similar to the other Skoda cars. I don't see anything new, maybe the rear is a little appealing but the front looks like the Kushaq has lost some ground clearance. Maybe some features are appealing but lacks on the one touch windows and absence of front parking sensors. If sedans have to live in the jungle of crossovers, the ease of owning, driving and parking is very important.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:07   #47
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Slavia's exterior design looks impressive, interior is just about okay barring the digital instrument console which if offered even in base model will be the biggest draw for this car. Slavia is now can be called the cotemporary offering in C2 segment by Skoda. that being said there is nothing unique about the car and by launching it Skoda has just matched the competition like Honda City or Hyundai Verna to stay in the picture rather than outdoing them.

1.5 TSI engine will be the one to look forward to drive. however I am afraid that the combination of 1.5TSI +DSG will make my preferred model a costly option going beyond 20+ lacs OTR. this is where I would hope Skoda could surprise us, by keeping the max price under 16-17 lacs or offer the 1.5TSI in lower variant too.

While some people might not like the increased ride height, I do prefer it. a low ground clearance has always been what sedan drivers complains in Indian driving condition, 179 mm GC will be good enough to tackle most of speed bumper but could also give a slight body role compared to low hung rivals.

Blue color looks weird, I would wish if Skoda could offer the Race blue color from the Superb lineup. it looks brilliant in picture and in person too.

Thanks for the brilliantly written first look preview, eagerly looking forward to the first drive report.
Strider24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Can you please share which reviewer has shared the comment on less under though support?

Also hope someone can share about how much better the rear seat width is compared to the existing Vento/ Rapid and Honda City.
The teambhp preview clearly calls out that seats are low set and lacks underthigh support for taller passengers. In my personal experience, Honda city has great underthigh support and supportive seats for people around 5.10 to 6 feet tall. Slavia seems to be lacking here.

I will wait till I experience the car to form a final opinion on this.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 23rd November 2021 at 11:19.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:29   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We have to be realistic. 15L on-road is 100% not going to happen unfortunately, even for the 1.0 TSi top end forget the 1.5 TSi! Prices have moved on way north. Below are the current prices of the main competition-

Honda City ZX MT - 16.75 lakhs on road Bangalore.
Honda City ZX CVT - 18.34 lakhs on road Bangalore.

Even the outgoing Rapid 1.0 TSi Matte edition is priced at 16.6 L onroad Bangalore. I would expect the 1.0 Style to be priced against the City variants above with the 1.5 TSi MT priced around 20L on road Bangalore, and 1.5 TSI DSG around 21.5!
hmmm. you are right. I am okay with even base version and manual gear and no alloys. I may have to save more and stretch a bit to be in fray. I will see what the next six months throw up and if I could push to that 18~20L barrier.
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

I don't know why Skoda decided to give it the Kushaq face when they had the Russian rapid looking so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-ezgif.comgifmaker121200x900.jpg  

Attached Images

Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:43   #51
BHPian

The best thing I like about the photos is the night shots actually show how the car will look de-chromed and blacked out. And it looks absolutely smashing! Thanks for this perspective guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Last edited by Shome : 23rd November 2021 at 11:49.
Shome is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:47   #52
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review.

Looking for a replacement for my aging Vento TDI and this might be it. Will wait for full Team-bhp review and a TD, whether the raised GC has an impact on handling.

I was looking for the kerb weight figures and couldn't find. Any guess?

There is no doubt that Skoda has a good product in hand. 1L engine should be adequate for most for city driving and occasional highway trips, with the 1.5 TSI engine available, having no competition at all. Expect especially the 1.5 TSI top variant to be priced at a premium, and that should also help boost the sales of Octavia

OT: Long time back, I went by the balanced review of GTO for Vento and never had to look back !
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:49   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I don't know why Skoda decided to give it the Kushaq face when they had the Russian rapid looking so good.
Apart from grill I can't see much similarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-2021skodaslavia03.jpg  

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-2021skodakushaq03.jpg  

RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
Apart from grill I can't see much similarity.
You can literally see the Slavia have same design elements as Kushaq in those pics you quoted. The way headlamps are angled to meet the grille edges, the large fog lamp space(that's unused on Kushaq), the bumper lines that look like a moustache.

The fog lamp assembly could have been integrated into lower air louvers like the Russian rapid for one. The sleeker headlights from the Russian rapid could have given it a sharper face.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:03   #55
BHPian

These VAG cars’ are just completely rely on TSI 1.0 engines, for how many more years down the line ? I wish they should bring back their Diesel engine with BS-VI and provide options to customers soon.
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
Slavia is now can be called the cotemporary offering in C2 segment by Skoda. that being said there is nothing unique about the car and by launching it Skoda has just matched the competition like Honda City or Hyundai Verna to stay in the picture rather than outdoing them..
Depends on how we look at it.
1.5 TSI manual and DSG are unique and current City and Verna can only dream to match that.

From all the reviews the car is a benchmark in ride and handling. Though early to comment, being a ŠKODA I am sure the dynamics will be the best below Octavia segment.

Now there might be flaws too, for one I am sure it will be priced higher. There might be cost cutting on interiors and feature wise might not match with Verna.
Each will have its own pros and cons, but I am sure Slavia will turn out to be enthusiast choice.

Now whether it will be a hit or not we need to wait and watch, but it’s good to have these offerings in the market.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We have to be realistic. 15L on-road is 100% not going to happen unfortunately, even for the 1.0 TSi top end forget the 1.5 TSi! Prices have moved on way north. Below are the current prices of the main competition-

Honda City ZX MT - 16.75 lakhs on road Bangalore.
Honda City ZX CVT - 18.34 lakhs on road Bangalore.

Even the outgoing Rapid 1.0 TSi Matte edition is priced at 16.6 L onroad Bangalore. I would expect the 1.0 Style to be priced against the City variants above with the 1.5 TSi MT priced around 20L on road Bangalore, and 1.5 TSI DSG around 21.5!
The 1.0 TSi Matte being a special edition, wouldn't comparing it against the the Rapid 1.0 TSi style give a better idea?

If Skoda doesn't do a Skoda, then we could possibly expect the below,

Rapid 1.0 TSi Style - ~14L OTR Chennai
Slavia 1.0 TSi Style - ~15L OTR Chennai
(For the bigger body + sunroof + ventilated seats)

And 1.5 TSi Style could be around ~17.5L OTR Chennai
ridehard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:35   #58
BHPian

The car looks and feels smashing for sure. The build quality coupled with the feature set this car is bringing to the market, along with the engine choices, should make it a success provided that it is priced right.
However, I am still not sure about the "improved" dq200. The 1.5 TSI is anyway a "premium" variant, so why not take a bit more money and give a more reliable, say dq381? Why do they keep beating in the dq200 into the market? It feels like they have it just to prove it to their ego that it is reliable, even ostensibly so.
AZ911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridehard View Post

Rapid 1.0 TSi Style - ~14L OTR Chennai
Slavia 1.0 TSi Style - ~15L OTR Chennai
(For the bigger body + sunroof + ventilated seats)

And 1.5 TSi Style could be around ~17.5L OTR Chennai
Slavia style variant will offer much more than these three you have mentioned. There is a big list of safety features which Rapid doesn't have - Curtain airbags, 3 point seatbelt and adjustable headrest for 5th occupant, ISOFIX and other active safety features like ESC, MCB. Other notable features include digital cockpit, bigger infotainment system and additional speakers.

Only advantage for Rapid - it is based on a global car - Polo, which makes it sturdier and mod friendly.

GNCAP result will show how well built Slavia is. But I don't think Slavia will be as mod friendly as Polo/Rapid.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Slavia style variant will offer much more than these three you have mentioned. There is a big list of safety features which Rapid doesn't have - Curtain airbags, 3 point seatbelt and adjustable headrest for 5th occupant, ISOFIX and other active safety features like ESC, MCB. Other notable features include digital cockpit, bigger infotainment system and additional speakers.

Only advantage for Rapid - it is based on a global car - Polo, which makes it sturdier and mod friendly.

GNCAP result will show how well built Slavia is. But I don't think Slavia will be as mod friendly as Polo/Rapid.
Yeah, agreed. Slavia comes with more safety features as well, which I missed.
I'm hoping the localization is able to offset the cost to a certain degree, and Skoda is able to achieve the 15L OTR mark
ridehard is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed