Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 13:29   #121
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairalvi View Post
These are the on road prices as per the dealer in Hyderabad. I cannot guarantee the genuineness of the claim. Believe at your own risk!
This actually is quite believable and realistic. Knowing Skoda, they will not price their cars lower/same as the competition.

I am expecting the base model at 10.99 and the 1.5 TSI at 19.99 ex-showroom. Will it fly of the shelves at that price? I dont think so.
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 14:34   #122
e46
BHPian

Will there be any variant where manual knobs for HVAC would be provided?
Old 30th November 2021, 15:00   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Will there be any variant where manual knobs for HVAC would be provided?
Active variant mostly looking at the Kushaq specification. But it would then lose the auto climate-control feature.
dipen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 15:16   #124

It's clear that discontinuing the Rapid would mean Skoda losing a lot of customers in that price bracket. It would be better if they can use the Slavia 1.0 TSI to replace the Rapid, pricing it around 9.5-15 lacs. The 1.5 TSI can be priced above Rapid. Then 1.0 would get volumes and 1.5 would bring higher profits.
Old 30th November 2021, 17:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
This actually is quite believable and realistic. Knowing Skoda, they will not price their cars lower/same as the competition.

I am expecting the base model at 10.99 and the 1.5 TSI at 19.99 ex-showroom. Will it fly of the shelves at that price? I dont think so.
I am really doubtful, that Skoda will price the Slavia above the Kushaq.

City V and Kushaq Ambition are almost equally loaded and the on-road difference between them is like 2 lakhs and City is already perceived to be expensive than its sedan rivals. e.g: City is at-least 1.5L expensive than the most modern competitor Verna 1.5 on-road variant on variant

In all probability; Slavia needs to sit lower than Kushaq for sure. Else the difference would be in the range of 2.5 lakhs on-road than the City which in no way is justifiable from market / competition perspective.

City ZX is still better loaded and screwed together than Kushaq Style. I someone also feel, that City rear seating is more comfortable (knee and recline angle) and just slightly more spacious than the Slavia looking at review videos (could be wrong). Skoda surely looks more modern but the Japs are known for better packaging though the good ground clearance of Slavia is appreciable (not that the new City scraps everywhere).
dipen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 08:00   #126
BHPian

I was told that Slavia will sit in the Civic segment. Therefore 23 lacs for top end OTR is the number that’s doing the rounds across dealership personnel.

Another reasoning is they don’t want Kushaq sales being cannibalised by that of Slavia’s. They believe that the few enthusiastic VAG fans will buy them irrespective.
Old 1st December 2021, 10:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
I was told that Slavia will sit in the Civic segment. Therefore 23 lacs for top end OTR is the number that’s doing the rounds across dealership personnel.

Another reasoning is they don’t want Kushaq sales being cannibalised by that of Slavia’s. They believe that the few enthusiastic VAG fans will buy them irrespective.
If they do that, then it's DOA. Also it doesn't make any sense considering the amount of investments they've made for localisation- it can't have a CBU pricing.

Although it may be more expensive that the City, it can't demand a high premium considering the City brand value.
Turbohead is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 10:54   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

As per info from my known Skoda SA the prices will start around 12 lacs for the 1.0Tsi variant and go all the way up till 19.99 lacs for the 1.5Tsi + Dsg combo (these are ex-showroom prices). Skoda again wants to fill the slot which the old Octavia has vacated as the Octavia has now moved to the 30+ on road level. So Slavia will come in around the 14 lacs to 22 lacs on road segment. Both the Kushaq and Slavia will coexist at almost similar price points and it is up to the user to decide whether they want a sedan or SUV at the same price. In some aspects the Slavia is better speced than the Kushaq ,like Driver info system and Boot space but ultimately it is the customer's preference which will drive sales.
The Slavia can be a good car to revive the sedan segment as it also offers good GC and good ride quality. Honda City will feel the heat now and need to launch newer version of the City / HRV to fend off the competition. Let's hope they also wake up from their comfort zone and start giving newer models in India.
Ultimately the manufacturing costs of all cars have gone up by 40% and the companies are now passing on the increases to buyers.

Last edited by Behemoth : 1st December 2021 at 10:55.
Behemoth is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 17:58   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
This may not be relevant to the topic of Slavia but I feel that a lot of Skoda owners like to call their cars as Germans whereas it's not. It's Czech.
Below video tells the Skoda-VW story very clearly:

tsi_niks1989 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 12:16   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
As per info from my known Skoda SA the prices will start around 12 lacs for the 1.0Tsi variant and go all the way up till 19.99 lacs for the 1.5Tsi + Dsg combo (these are ex-showroom prices). Skoda again wants to fill the slot which the old Octavia has vacated as the Octavia has now moved to the 30+ on road level. So Slavia will come in around the 14 lacs to 22 lacs on road segment. Both the Kushaq and Slavia will coexist at almost similar price points and it is up to the user to decide whether they want a sedan or SUV at the same price. In some aspects the Slavia is better speced than the Kushaq ,like Driver info system and Boot space but ultimately it is the customer's preference which will drive sales.
From what I have heard the prices are going to be very near to kushaq's, maybe a bit less too. But considering the response the Salvia has gotten online and the increased manufacturing and raw material cost, it might change too.
Old 4th December 2021, 19:03   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
I am really doubtful, that Skoda will price the Slavia above the Kushaq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
If they do that, then it's DOA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
From what I have heard the prices are going to be very near to kushaq's, maybe a bit less too. But considering the response the Salvia has gotten online and the increased manufacturing and raw material cost, it might change too.
Slavia 1L Tsi variant will probably compete with Honda City/Verna and 1.5 Tsi against Elantra likes. So, two (or more) birds at one shot? The additional GC means it will be a perfect city+highway cruiser. There is really no competition here in the 1.5 Tsi variant territory and that might just work to the advantage of Slavia and they may price higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
As per info from my known Skoda SA the prices will start around 12 lacs for the 1.0Tsi variant and go all the way up till 19.99 lacs for the 1.5Tsi + Dsg combo (these are ex-showroom prices).
The local Skoda dealer informed me something similar, with the top variant expected as 21 lacs (ex-showroom).
Old 4th December 2021, 21:04   #132
BHPian

Just trying to understand Skoda's game plan on offering a sedan with such an increased GC.

How much would that extra 9 mm of GC really help the Slavia be a practical alternative for the Kushaq/Taigun buyer who is GC conscious?

At 179 mm, can a sedan be a solution to (fairly) competently tackle anything from speed breakers to broken roads to the hills?

Some insights will help those (including me) willing to consider the Slavia over the Kushaq and Taigun, if possible. Given its length, even at 179 mm, I am not sure if the approach and departure angles will be manageable as with SUVs with 188-190 mm of GC.
Old 4th December 2021, 21:11   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
Just trying to understand Skoda's game plan on offering a sedan with such an increased GC.

How much would that extra 9 mm of GC really help the Slavia be a practical alternative for the Kushaq/Taigun buyer who is GC conscious?

At 179 mm, can a sedan be a solution to (fairly) competently tackle anything from speed breakers to broken roads to the hills?

Some insights will help those (including me) willing to consider the Slavia over the Kushaq and Taigun, if possible. Given its length, even at 179 mm, I am not sure if the approach and departure angles will be manageable as with SUVs with 188-190 mm of GC.
Well a sedan with High GC is very useful as well as practical. We had the Skoda Laura earlier and that also had good GC. In fact we had taken our Laura many times more than our Jeep Compass to our farm as it was well capable and also the huge boot space was a big advantage. Also the way road conditions are in most cities with huge potholes and speed breakers, a high GC is desirable. One of the reasons why in cities like Gurgaon people are moving away from sedans is that the roads are bad and sedans tend to struggle on the bad roads. But with a good GC sedan like the Slavia, this issue can be solved.
Behemoth is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 21:20   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Just trying to understand Skoda's game plan on offering a sedan with such an increased GC. How much would that extra 9 mm of GC really help the Slavia be a practical alternative for the Kushaq/Taigun buyer who is GC conscious? Given its length, even at 179 mm, I am not sure if the approach and departure angles will be manageable as with SUVs with 188-190 mm of GC.
You're right in mentioning the approach and departure angles, as they are much more important than GC in off road situations. It's quite simple really, if you frequent trails and bad roads, a sedan with a slightly higher GC will not suffice. Skoda has done so only to appease the junta fearful of those huge speed breakers so common in many cities. I guess aftermarket suspension kits will be in demand with Slavia owners!
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 22:21   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Let me give you my example.
Having owned Honda City for 5 years, I really love everything about a sedan. However, ground clearance has always been a concern. Although, I've not faced much issue with my City, there is always that rare speed breaker or deeper pothole covered in rain water that brushes your underbelly.
This forced me to think about C-SUV for better ground clearance. However, since boot space is an important requirement for me, none in the 15L - 20L bracket seem to satisfy my heart. The only SUV that has adequate space ( especially boot space ) along with driving dynamics and safety is Jeep Compass. But, Jeep Compass is exceeding my budget by almost 10L.

Skoda Slavia fits perfectly here. A good spacious and safe sedan with powerful 1.5L ( 150 bhp ) engine and 179mm GC. Those rare speed breakers will become rarer. I will still have those 520L of boot space, 150 bhp + DSG and driving dynamics of VAG. A win win scenario for me.
rAijin_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed