Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
This is a poor attempt from Skoda. A spacious and comfortable back seat with good underthigh support is key for a vehicle to succeed in this segment. This is the reason why verna failed despite it's other many positives like the engines and service backup.
Can you please share which reviewer has shared the comment on less under though support?

Also hope someone can share about how much better the rear seat width is compared to the existing Vento/ Rapid and Honda City.
Turbohead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:20   #32
BHPian

Like Kushaq, Slavia doesn't get one-touch power windows and anti-pinch function except for the driver door. This is definitely a step back. Also, Vento gets auto-levelling LED headlights but Slavia doesn't. Rapid had a couple of variants with all-black interiors and almost no chrome on the outside but this stuff is unavailable in Slavia for now. Let's hope, Skoda introduces the SportLine trim for all its models. As far as I know, the upcoming Kodiaq facelift is likely to get this trim.
romil.shroff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 18:28   #33
BHPian

Such a beautiful car! I would not mind swapping our 4th-gen Honda City (will be in its 8th year) with the Slavia in the next couple of years. Going against the tide, I quite liked the height of the sedan with the ground clearance at 179mm. Just perfect for our kind of roads, especially in the rainy season in Mumbai, it will come in handy.

In the next couple of years, I expect Skoda to iron out all issues they face with the 1st batch. If one goes by the issues faced by owners of Kushaq with the 1st batch, I can foresee Slavia owners going through the same with both Kushaq and Slavia, sharing the same parts.

Skoda has a winner on their hands, only if the price it well. Going by Kushaq and Octavia pricing, top of the line Slavia will definitely retail at INR 25-26L on-road in Mumbai.
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 19:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romil.shroff View Post
Like Kushaq, Slavia doesn't get one-touch power windows and anti-pinch function except for the driver door. This is definitely a step back.
I agree, one-touch up and down with anti-pinch feature is definitely a major miss . Anti-pinch is a safety feature especially with 2 kids in the car. Honda City gets it in the ZX trim. I would prefer that any day over a two spoke steering or a 60/40 split. Personal preference off-course.
Kickdown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 19:21   #35
BHPian

For me the raised ride height just ruins the look, for which otherwise this is actually a good looking car.
meetbhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:04   #36
Team-BHP Support

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot-20211122-7.37.21-pm.png

Have said this before too - How close this one is to the original RS formula - the sedan that transformed the Indian market! I'm a crossover person and love the best-of-both-worlds practicality and fun they offer - but the Slavia sure has my attention!

I was hoping Skoda does an RS with the 1.5 TSi motor - but they didn't, but still its almost there (with the Rider, if not the RS!) if the ride and handling formula is spot-on! Even had 16 inch alloys on same size tyres, with a similarly large looking gap in the wheel wells - but no one cared two hoots about back then! We never had tasted such performance before, and welcomed the car with both hands! Although we have options now in other segments, the reality is that the C-sedan segment is as dry as a desert with Toyota even getting ready to launch an 8-year-old car with a fresh badge!

Have been a major critic of the Kushaq, but I feel Skoda has slayed it with the Slavia! Can't wait for the full review - and possibly new Monte Carlo / RS variants in the future.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-post-1.jpeg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-2021skodaslavia01.jpeg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot-20210522-8.48.09-pm.jpeg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot-20210522-8.47.54-pm.jpeg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd November 2021 at 20:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:18   #37

Slavia the Slayer is here. This will spice up the dying sedan segment for sure. If priced right, this will surely leave Honda and Hyundai a big dent in the small sales. Honda will be effected the most as they don't have any other product like Hyundai (Venue, Creta which are driving the sales charts).

I have always loved the looks for Skoda cars, i.e. minimalistic but Skoda is adding chrome elements to all their new launches. I hope there is Slavia black edition which will perfectly suit the 1.5 TSI + DSG combo.

This car I agree is not the perfect car but so are the others. But surely a worthy contender for an upgrade for bhpian!
adityagoel1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:46   #38
BHPian

Great review and many thanks. Appreciated the closeup photos of significant small things which are not easily found in sedans. Took me another slow read to assimilate various addons. Such details in review help in decision making for guys like me in small towns where there are no dealers.
sukhbirST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 21:15   #39
Tkm

What a detailed amazing review with so many photos.
The hard core BHPians are amazing people
Hats off for a well written and photographed review
Tkm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:00   #40
BHPian

Thank You for an amazingly close look, Aditya!

I am impressed with Skoda and kind of stealing my heart with their designs.
I am sure this will be another Timeless Design from Skoda.

I feel the company is putting their best efforts into the Indian market, hope they continue to work on all aspects of Car Ownership (talking about after-sales).

Honda City must pull up its socks to chase the sales numbers and compete with impressive Slavia.
fearless_IN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 08:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

I really really like this car. Can’t wait to take a test drive of the 1.5L DSG. The reviewers are claiming the top model to be priced at 16.5L which is great pricing. The Octavia 1.4 TSI manual was more expensive I think when it was last sold in 2018-19.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 09:32   #42
BHPian

Finally, this is one car which has appealed to me to replace my Fiat Linea Tjet. Looking forward to the Test drive. After the Tjet, I am not even planning to consider test driving the 1.0L 3-pot engine, but only the 1.5L version when available. What do you think? I am planning to go only for the manual version and not considering Automatic at this time.

Pricing is another crucial factor. The max on road cost that i could afford is only Rs.15 lakhs. I might miss the bus for the 1.5L engine
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Finally, this is one car which has appealed to me to replace my Fiat Linea Tjet. Looking forward to the Test drive. After the Tjet, I am not even planning to consider test driving the 1.0L 3-pot engine, but only the 1.5L version when available. What do you think? I am planning to go only for the manual version and not considering Automatic at this time.

Pricing is another crucial factor. The max on road cost that i could afford is only Rs.15 lakhs. I might miss the bus for the 1.5L engine
Exactly the same thinking as I have. Finally a sedan worth spending money on, but beyond 15L is a stretch!
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:30   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Exactly the same thinking as I have. Finally a sedan worth spending money on, but beyond 15L is a stretch!
We have to be realistic. 15L on-road is 100% not going to happen unfortunately, even for the 1.0 TSi top end forget the 1.5 TSi! Prices have moved on way north. Below are the current prices of the main competition-

Honda City ZX MT - 16.75 lakhs on road Bangalore.
Honda City ZX CVT - 18.34 lakhs on road Bangalore.

Even the outgoing Rapid 1.0 TSi Matte edition is priced at 16.6 L onroad Bangalore. I would expect the 1.0 Style to be priced against the City variants above with the 1.5 TSi MT priced around 20L on road Bangalore, and 1.5 TSI DSG around 21.5!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post

In the next couple of years, I expect Skoda to iron out all issues they face with the 1st batch. If one goes by the issues faced by owners of Kushaq with the 1st batch, I can foresee Slavia owners going through the same with both Kushaq and Slavia, sharing the same parts.
Don't think Skoda will make the same mistake they did with Kushaq. Since this car is based on the same platform and shares probably 80-90% parts with Kushaq, they'll definitely rectify the EPC issue before launch. Basically this is Kushaq in different body shape.

I must say Slavia looks really good and probably segment best after Honda decided to go for a generic design with current City. If this doesn't spice up the sedan segment I don't know what will. Yes there are many cost cutting like the fixed seatbelts, vanity mirror without cover and light, no anti pinch rear window etc but overall it's a good package and for someone who doesn't plan to take his car off roading anytime soon should look at sedans more seriously. Not having a diesel should hurt Kushaq more than Slavia but only time will tell.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks