Team-BHP - Chevrolet Tavera MUV for June 2004 launch
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Chevrolet Tavera MUV for June 2004 launch (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2448-chevrolet-tavera-muv-june-2004-launch.html)

With mega-plans for the highly lucrative MUV segment, General Motors is bringing in the latest-gen Isuzu Panther which will be rechristened the "Chevy" Tavera. It will be pitted directly against the Toyota Qualis and the Mahindra Scorpio.

Highlights:

1. 2.5 litre Turbo-Charged DIRECT-injection diesel engine
2. 6 different variants priced at points between 6 - 9 lacs.
3. 8,9 and 10 seater versions.
4. Debuting with 85% localisation content.
5. Extensively modified to the Indian driving conditions.

GTO

Looks like a safari + qualis!

IMO sounds like it has a lot of potential for the indian market, seems to have lots of room and looks that could pass as a tourist vehicle as well as a personally owned one ;-] ... i guess the 2 deciding factors are price and how much the chevy brandname weighs in peoples opinions!

cheers
R

The Tavera anyday looks better than the Qualis and its the first car from GM in India which actually suits the bow tie badge. i somehow dont like seeing the badge on the Optra. We car guys always associate Chevy with big cars. The car is spacious and should also be car like to drive. Lets see what the Indian customer has to say bout it.

Cheers

You have to hand it to GM, they are finally taking the Indian market seriously. Everyone said that the Optra would not really sell because of its Daewoo origins, but look whats happened. Their marketing and the amount of dealers they have are adding to their visibility.

If you think about the thousands of different models they have access to, its only a matter of time GM rises up to take the #2 spot away from Hyundai. All it needs now is a mass market smallish hatchback to battle with the Santro, and it has that comin in the form of the other Daewoo, the Kalis (i think).

Even the Toyota Qualis is in for a major powertrain/looks upgrade before the year-end. I think that anyone who is planning to buy an MUV....Hold on...You will get a much superior product by just waiting for 6 months.

GTO

Not bad - looks dated but better than the Qualis good practical proposition. I hope it has a 4WD option and being an Isuzu means it will be nice and tough.

i doubt there will be a 4WD option. The Tavera does look good. Infact much better than the Qualis and more balanced than the Safari. TC'ed engine means atleast 90-100 bhp. And 6-9 lakhs means it'll leave the Qualis beggin for customers. I'm sure its gonna be a hit. And being Chevy, obviously the build and ride quality will be much better than even the Scorpio. Is there a Direct Exchange scheme where i can xchange my Qualis for the Tavera??

BTW guys isnt it too early to predict Chevy's success?? I mean i'm sure when Chevy launches the Tavera, Hyundai wont sit quite. Hyundai has also been planning to launch the Kia Sportage since a long time against the likes of the Safari. And it has a 4WD option too. So i guess the 4WD will compete against the top version of the Tavera and the Qualis GST. And if they launch a cheaper variant without 4wd and frills, Chevy u better watch out.

Among all this I wonder what they will do. They should definately introduce the current generation Kijang

Cheers

The new edition Qualis will probably be the Toyota Condor which was the qualis replacement in South Africa. It too has the 4x4 option and is the best selling MPV in SA since its launch in 2000.

The Condor looks good. But its too tall and the 14 in wheels really look too small. It will also be expensive cos it involves major design changes. I guess Toyota will bring in the original Kijang which it was testing in 1999. Obviously with some changes in the grille and headlights. And i hope 15 in wheels.

Its about time Toyota bring in a contemporary Qualis, what with the Corolla and the Camry being currently sold models in marure markets such as the United States. It stands out like a sore thumb out of its Indian line-up.

GTO

Panther is far far better than Qualis in Looks . Price will be the deciding factor for Tavera. Brand .........no one bother . No one know Optra by Chevy , more than Chevy Optra is popular like MOre than TATA , Indica is popular .
The power train is a 2.5 L DI ! with Turbo. But the power train will be modified to give more mileage than power .
GM has told in a press conference that it will give 2-3 Km/Lt than Qualis .
Price and mileage will be the deciding factor .
But the Tavera to be launched doesnt look like the one shown in the picture above , it is blunt in the front to cut down cost .
They also do not have a 4x4 option.
But the lower end would be priced close to basic version of SUMO/QUALIS and SCORPIO.

But GM has to get prepared soon to face Toyotas new launch by this year end.
It is time to see, feel , drive and own the latest model of Toyota on road.

hey v12
hyundai couldnt lauch the sportage here due to the simple reason of no rhd!!!!! and to make a rhd version it would take a hell a lot of money!!!!(source: aci some year some month) so after that they decided to launch the terracan with a 2.5lt engine, and when thay though it would be too sluggish, they decided to use the 2.9 crdi engine

The green Kijang posted by V12 a couple of similar vehicles were being tested around where i live in Kandivali . Initially they had the badges masked out but now they roam openly . Maybe thats what they are launching

Cheers

i guess those cud be "Private" vehicles. The company must have sold the test vehicles to someone. But u never know.