Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2021, 22:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV700 | Long wait times for deliveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep2512 View Post
Delivery date was to be told on the 25th November. Got a mail that the expected delivery date is May 2022. Is it worth waiting?
Personally I may not prefer to wait that much for a new car. However, this is entirely on you. If you can manage with your current car for next six months, then I think you should be able to wait. Otherwise, you need to search for alternatives. Some things can wait, some can't, depends on your priority.
Old 26th November 2021, 23:02   #62
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

A colleague and friend had pre booked on 2nd Oct and was assured first batch of 25K allotment.

Today he received this:

Quote:
Dear Mr SSSS PPPP

Thank you for choosing the New Mahindra XUV 700. India's Safest Vehicle with a 5 star Global NCAP rating.

We are Delighted with the unprecedented and overwhelming response that the XUV 700 has received from customers like you. We understand your eagerness to drive your very own XUV 700 and thank you for your patience.

Mahindra has partnered with one of the top 3 global consulting companies to help plan deliveries.
And we are happy to inform you that your estimated delivery month is AUGUST 2022.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 23:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A colleague and friend had pre booked on 2nd Oct and was assured first batch of 25K allotment.

Today he received this:
Smells like M&M pulled a booking scam to raise interest free funds in short term. It's a month & a half already & lesser chances of refund in another 1.5 month.

While the product may be brilliant,** seen quite a few on road now, the delays & antics rot of money heists.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 23:17   #64
BHPian

Delivery date of July 22, how depressing, I have been needing a vehicle since September 21,
Is there a way one can mutually change the delivery with someone who deliberately wants the vehicle later, I am ok with earlier manufactured vehicle.
While we all crib about the delivery dates, the dealers must be rejoicing in anticipation of premiums for early delivery.
Old 26th November 2021, 23:18   #65
BHPian

Well the question is if you can trust their(M&M) statement. It depends on a lot of thing such as global supply chains and demand supply for other industries.

If they have such long waiting periods for Thar, not sure how they can deliver XUV sooner. Unless XUV is far more profitable, they can’t fulfil on time. We will have this issue for another 1-2 years as the industry recovers..

What are your other choices? Why did you choose XUV? For safety? Price? Refinement? Utility? Only you can answer. Your answer will help us give our views on which car to go after.

6 month wait? Folks who booked Thar(and waiting) have a smile on their face now.
Old 26th November 2021, 23:44   #66
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Those who have booked the lower variants(a minority) can actually get a much more rounded package if they shift to cars like the Taigun/Kushaq or the Hyundai twins. Though yes, unless you go for the higher capacity turbo petrols, the performance will definitely be a notch or two below the XUV. Also, you do lose out on space and the road presence. Not to forget, the safety quotient. Even the Hector in its mid variants, comes across as a more complete/all rounded package

For those who have booked the higher variants, the Compass Longitude can be a good option. But then, it comes with its own European shenanigans which folks may not like. There's the more affordable Sports variant but it is just too basic.

There is the Safari then. Oh wait! 3 years since the product(Harrier) was launched and niggles a-plenty.

There's the Chinese Hector. No diesel automatic here.

Oh wait, there's the almighty Innova with its basic GX variant available within the same ballpark as the XUV AX7(the VX is worth considering but look Ma, no automatic!).

Then there's the Alcazar which is a C2 segment car with added features and motors which lack punch.

Hmm, this brings us back to the XUV 700.

There, I guess the reason behind XUV 700's success is quite clear. Now it is up to you to decide if the wait is worth it. It is up to your discretion whether you want to wait for a good product or are you willing to let go of it due the lack of transparency by the parent company. Ideally, this shouldn't happen but we don't live in an ideal world and sometimes, difficult decisions have to be taken.

As many members have pointed out, do not let go of the booking though. You should parallely check out the other options. If they exceed your expectations, go for it. If it marginally falls below your expectation, then you have to decide whether the comparative lesser waiting period is going to make up for it or not.

I wouldn't suggest buying a product which doesn't meet your expectation at all solely because it has a lesser waiting period. Such a product will bother you and will not make you feel special for years to come as compared to a few months of waiting period for a product which you like.

May the (patience)force be with you.

Last edited by AYP : 26th November 2021 at 23:52.
AYP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 00:00   #67
BHPian

Think of it this way - the later you get the car, you can be lucky that Mahindra would have solved the issues faced by the 1st lot of customers. I have also heard that quite a few features are either not activated or are still in official testing stage.
Yours could be the first car with major issues solved and all features working in production stage.
Maverick1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 00:16   #68
BHPian

I booked on 23 Oct. Reading these posts, I am now wondering whether I should even waste time checking for my delivery month.

I think Safari will be mine in the month of Jan 2022.

Last edited by NotanF1driver : 27th November 2021 at 00:18. Reason: Date corrected
Old 27th November 2021, 00:30   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
As for the delivery dates, no one is going to wait for 1 year to get a vehicle - Mahindra is not Ferrari. Better cars will come out and people will be happy to cancel this book and lose the ₹21,000 if they can get a similar/better car sooner instead. What a fiasco from Mahindra. The lack of transparency is the biggest issue here.
Let's not forget the 4x4 Ferrari of Mahindra too soon, that has also tested people's patience , this too will. Quite a confusion indeed, cancel now and pay more for the same car a year later

Sounds familiar? It has happened in the past.
Old 27th November 2021, 00:46   #70
BHPian

I personally think that after seeing the waiting timelines of Thar and the general semiconductor shortage issue, long waiting periods for XUV700 were a given even before its launch. Even the XUV300 has 6 months waiting period for top model.
So in all honesty the people who have booked XUV700 are all in similar boat.
It really depends on the personal choice. If you were expecting a shorter delivery time and put a gamble on XUV700 then you can consider it didn't come off and shop somewhere else.
Old 27th November 2021, 01:01   #71
BHPian

I would hold on to the booking for now. As suggested by others keep looking for options in the meantime. Test drive all your shortlisted vehicles again. Cancel the booking only if you feel the alternative is better than XUV 700.

As someone who holds on to my cars for atleast 8 to 10 years I would not compromise on my requirements and go for whatever is available earlier. This will only cause regret each time you see a XUV700 on road.

There is always the possibility that the semiconductor situation may change in the coming months or Mahindra may prioritize XUV700 production and you may get delivery sooner than the mentioned date.

On a positive side you have a higher chance of getting a vehicle with initial niggles sorted out. Also since you have price protection the purchase will seem real value for money after 6 months.

And there is always the option of cutting the line by using influence/ letter from a politician
Old 27th November 2021, 01:01   #72
BHPian

Looking at the Google forms results above and reading the messages here and elsewhere, majority of delivery dates are bunched up around July, Aug, Sep 2022, with Aug being the highest concentration without a doubt.

I call the bluff here. There is no way this was scientific enough to match the production capacity. I think there were too many variables (capacity, supply chain, cancellations, # of variants, other new launches etc) for M&M to accurately estimate the delivery timelines for the mid term (say, beyond April). Hence they seem to have bucketed deliveries towards August. As weeks pass, this schedule is bound to change. for the better or worse, difficult to say.
piyush1.a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 07:30   #73
BHPian

Just my 2 cents (rants):

In the automotive industty, a waiting period of more than 6 months will give a lot of room for competitors to catch up, plan and position their product, introduce new features and poach customers.

I think Mahindra has messed up big time in planning the production and delivery of vehicles in a reasonable time frame.

It is what it is and will boil down to individual priorities. Those who don't want to wait long for a vehicle will move on to other make/models.

It purely depends on how long one can wait.
Old 27th November 2021, 07:36   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu1970 View Post
I'm not liking this algorithm anymore.

AX7 L P AT • Petrol • Automatic • MIDNIGHT BLACK • BOOKED via Dealer on 7th Oct

Estimated delivery month - June'22

I was hoping Petrol's would be sooner. Big disappointment.
Hi Subbu. Sorry to hear your delivery month is July. That's a terribly long wait. Just out of curiosity, what city did you book your car in?

Just trying to figure out how your delivery date is 2 months after mine when we've basically booked the same car.
Old 27th November 2021, 07:39   #75
AKB
BHPian

Whichever way we slice this, it is a bad outcome for M&M, Customers and also Dealers:

M&M

- Loses the edge of a superior product due to misplaced communication strategy and change management. All the talk of algorithm in every message was and is unnecessary. Production planning is a well developed discipline in all auto companies and doesn't need additional research. FMCG does this at 100X the volume and 10X the SKU spread.
- Customer LTV hit: Many prospective buyers will not return to M&M for next few upgrades as well.
- Inordinate loss of revenue (compared to loss of volume): From the limited data set of the poll on this forum, 50+% bookings are top variants and thus 22L+. Mahindra will miss these prospective customer to competitor - including likes of Kia Sportage, Jeep Compass and Tiguan.
- M&M misses the chances to push their dominance in the 20L+ segment (which has been a no-go zone of mass-market players except Toyota and Ford)

Customers
- Monetary loss: Old car depreciates more and new car will become more expensive.
- Join the bottom of queue for other bookings.
- Dream run of XUV700 customer experience disrupted. Even people who wait and get the vehicle, will remember this as an undesirable experience

Dealers
- Stress, stress and stress: We should not forget the Sales and Services professionals who will continue to be sandwiched between M&M (who will only share limited data) and edgy customers who will be demanding and, unfortunately, rude as well.

For a conglomerate as mature as M&M, this needs introspection. What will be highly appreciated is acceptance that things are not ideal.

Last edited by AKB : 27th November 2021 at 07:40.
AKB is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed