Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 17:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti to launch 5 new SUVs; plans 7-seat Alcazar rival

Maruti Suzuki has confirmed that it will launch five new SUVs in India in the next 3 years, including a 3-row SUV to take on the likes of the Hyundai Alcazar, MG Hector Plus and Tata Safari.

Name:  20211130032926_MARUTI_ACI1.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  89.9 KB

The 3-row SUV (codenamed: Y17) could be based on the Ertiga platform. It might replace the XL6 and will be positioned at the top of Maruti's SUV range.

Maruti is also planning a new model to take on the Hyundai Creta. Codenamed YFG, this car is expected to be based on Toyota's DNGA platform. It could be powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine.

Name:  20211130033105_Maruti_ACI2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  62.4 KB

Now, let's take a look at some of the other SUVs that Maruti has lined up for us:

Next year, the company will launch the updated Vitara Brezza (codenamed: YTA). The crossover is expected to be powered by a 1.5-litre mild-hybrid petrol engine. Besides the cosmetic update, the Brezza will also get new features like a larger infotainment system, wireless charging, a sunroof and paddle shifters in the automatic variants.

Maruti Suzuki will take on the likes of the Hyundai Venue and Kia Sonet with a new compact SUV (codenamed: YTB). It is expected to be based on the Heartect platform and could be powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine.

Finally, there's the long-awaited Jimny. A 5-door version is on the cards for India, even though the 3-door Jimny is already being produced for export markets. It too will be powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine and will rival the Mahindra Thar.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 30th November 2021 at 17:18.
TusharK is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 17:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti to launch 5 new SUVs; plans 7-seat Alcazar rival

Looks like this time Global 5th Generation Suzuki Vitara is jointly developed with Toyota. (like 2nd generation Suzuki XL-7, which is co-developed with GM)

That's the SUV, We're getting in India to compete with Creta/Seltos. I assume, that's why they dropped Vitara badge from Brezza.

Thought that Baleno based crossover will compete with Magnite/ Kiger instead, they are putting at a higher end.

Last edited by Vignesh Vee : 30th November 2021 at 17:40.
Vignesh Vee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 18:01   #3
BHPian

Wow! 5 new SUVs spreading across different segments but powered by the same old 1.5 litre petrol
Maruti's engine situation is really bad. If Maruti doesn't want to revive diesel, they should atleast provide turbo petrol option or borrow hybrid tech from Toyota.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th November 2021 at 23:27. Reason: Typo fixed.
delusional_fool is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 18:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga platform = HEARTECT platform, same one powering Celerio as well. Maruti will perhaps be the only company using same platform for cars in such a large spectrum of prices.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 19:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Ertiga platform = HEARTECT platform, same one powering Celerio as well. Maruti will perhaps be the only company using same platform for cars in such a large spectrum of prices.
Just to let you know that, not all Heartect platform's are same. S-presso uses one version of Heartect, Celerio/WagonR/Ignis uses another version, Swift/Baleno/Dzire uses another and Ertiga/XL6 uses another one. I hope you're aware of modular platforms.

Toyota has 6 versions of the TNGA platform, does that mean Yaris and Rav4 are built on the same platform? Same goes for VW group MQB platforms.

VW group is the one that uses the same platform for different cars in a wide range and not Maruti.
Vignesh Vee is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 19:48   #6
BHPian

So finally Suzuki is planning for new boxes to fit same engines and compete in various car segments.

As expected safety will be just to meet the minimum required standards (as per regulations) and fuel efficiency will be the best (using some gimmicks).

They have a car which goes by the name "Dzire" however they will never bring a car that enthusiasts in India will Desire.
Brumby is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 20:56   #7
BHPian

The engines are not the same 1.5L engines. Like the K10C engine, the new K15 engines ( presumably K15C) will be heavily reworked with some new tech for higher Fuel Efficiency.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 21:23   #8
BHPian

Just like Nokia Maruti will end if they don’t up their game and start making cutting edge products. Mahindra and Tata are now way ahead.

Same old engine with 4 speed AT being sold by Maruti, wow. End Is Near!
Old 30th November 2021, 21:35   #9
BHPian

5 new SUVs from Maruti and the constant success of Indian automakers.... I bet the Koreans must be sweating so hard right now! (Remember, almost no Korean outsells it's Maruti or Tata rival in their respective segments!)

And it's finally good to see that we will have some completely reliable options in the mid-size SUV segment (Crazy how Innova is the only dependable UV in the 16-30 lakh price range!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusional_fool View Post
Wow! 5 new SUVs spreading across different segments but powered by the same old 1.5 litre petrol
Maruthi's engine situation is really bad. If Maruthi doesn't want to revive diesel, they should atleast provide turbo petrol option or borrow hybrid tech from Toyota.
How about actually waiting for the engine details to come out before judging? I'm sure Maruti won't be planning to give the market for free to it's rivals and hence it is natural that they will bring in more hybrid, CNG, turbocharged and flex fuel engines to these cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Well, you are definitely not very well informed here! The HEARTECT architecture houses different platforms i.e. S-Presso gets Heartect-K, WagonR/Celerio/Ignis get Heartect-A, the Swift/ Dzire get Heartect-B and Baleno gets Heartect-C while the Ertiga gets a stretched version of the Swift's Heartect-B.
Also, Maruti's Heartect family of cars is not nearly half as big as VW's MQB family where the Polos share platforms with some higher end Audis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
So finally Suzuki is planning for new boxes to fit same engines and compete in various car segments.
Isn't that what basically everyone does? A 9 lakh rupee i20 shares engines with a 25 lakh rupee Elantra while a 5 lakh rupee Tiago shares the same with a 15 lakh Rupee Nexon. Polo shares the 1.0L TSI for twice more expensive Taigun and Ford basically had the same engines in all of their four budget cars.

Quote:
As expected safety will be just to meet the minimum required standards (as per regulations) and fuel efficiency will be the best (using some gimmicks).
Well, Maruti's higher end cars never had a problem with their safety and hence I believe none of these SUVs will have issues regarding their safety.
Regarding mileage, we sure need the mileage with petrol prices still near the 100 rupee mark and ofcourse, the reliability which none of the unreliable Tatas, Mahindras and Koreans can provide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Just like Nokia Maruti will end if they don’t up their game and start making cutting edge products. Mahindra and Tata are now way ahead.
Same old engine with 4 speed AT being sold by Maruti, wow. End Is Near!
Sometimes I wonder if Maruti is actually at the end or it's the people on internet who want them to end! Even when we know that Maruti is developing "cutting edge products" without the ancient 4 speed AT (courtesy- 2022 Brezza spyshots), people just keep on repeating them! Maybe just because they want something to bash them for??

And Tata and Mahindra are way ahead?? Okay I agree Mahindra has made great progress but Tata? They haven't been able to develop a single decent engine or gearbox. All of their powertrain options are either pathetic or borrowed! And not to forget the great reliability that Tata cars come with or rather with the lack of it! Heck with the number of crashes we see of Tata cars on a daily basis, I'm sure there are some serious issues with the mechanicals too of these steel boxes which are hiding behind the great marketing team of Tata Motors.

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 30th November 2021 at 21:51.
theAutomaniac is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 21:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Interesting!!

As per the article, the three-row 'premium' SUV which is supposed to be the flagship model for Maruti Suzuki will replace XL6.
Old 30th November 2021, 21:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

There is absolutely no plan to replace XL6 which is an MPV and is doing well(last month's sale being more than 4.5k units. A 3 row SUV may come later, but the XL6 will stay for the time being.

The pics posted by ACI are from recently concluded All India Dealers meet held at Jaipur, and Maruti has showcased need for 3 new products, Jimny which will be rivalling Thar, a sub 4M SUV which in all probability will be the Baleno Cross and a Creta/Seltos rival. Baleno cross will NOT be the hatch version with claddings all around. It will share the platform but will have most of its panels replaced. It is expected to have a coupe like styling, with Harrier like front headlamp position and Honda'ish X shape grill.

Also, Baleno hatchback update will be launched around January 2022, while Brezza update is coming around July 2022. This is all which was shared on product front. Rest everything is speculation.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 30th November 2021 at 22:16.
Leoshashi is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 22:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
The engines are not the same 1.5L engines. Like the K10C engine, the new K15 engines ( presumably K15C) will be heavily reworked with some new tech for higher Fuel Efficiency.
Speaking of engines I hope Suzuki gives us a bigger naturally aspirated engine like the M16A 1.6L they used to offer in the ZC31/ZC32S Swift Sport and the European S-Cross. (I believe the 1.6 we got in India was a diesel).
Old 1st December 2021, 00:16   #13
BHPian

Maruti should now focus on EVs, Tata, MG and Hyundai are already in the EV market and currently Tata is the king in EV space with Nexon EV.

What happened to the WagonR EV test mule? It was spotted long before and was rumored to launch soon. Maruti should utilize their partnership with Toyota and bring new technologies, but on the other hand Toyota is also just selling Maruti replicas, the latest one is the Belta(Ciaz replica).
BMW_Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 07:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Well, Maruti's higher end cars never had a problem with their safety and hence I believe none of these SUVs will have issues regarding their safety.
Well, other than the brezza, none of the higher end cars have a respectable score. If you’re going by the logic that ncap of global s cross is re assuring - I hope you’re aware of Suzuki’s double standards.

Quote:
but Tata? They haven't been able to develop a single decent engine or gearbox. All of their powertrain options are either pathetic or borrowed! And not to forget the great reliability that Tata cars come with or rather with the lack of it!
I don’t think one should go on to bash Tata / undermine their development just because Maruti has got plans . Also I hope you’re aware that there exist cars other than Harrier/Safari offered by Tata which don’t have as many unhappy owners (which in itself isn’t that much)

Quote:

Heck with the number of crashes we see of Tata cars on a daily basis, I'm sure there are some serious issues with the mechanicals too of these steel boxes which are hiding behind the great marketing team of Tata Motors.
That is as illogical as it can get . (To make such a statement after the GNCAP results are out in the public - for the 5 cars)

Last edited by Shashwat.75 : 1st December 2021 at 08:17.
Shashwat.75 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 13:54   #15
BHPian

I hope Maruti improves both reliability and durability of their parts. My Ertiga ZDI is the most unreliable and maintenance-heavy car I have owned- which includes an Alto, Indica, Innova and an Ecosport . The last two have been the best long-term value.

Ertiga's components have been of poor quality and high failure rate. Also replacements are not cheap - I suspect that is now built into the lifecycle revenue model of the dealers :-). As an example, over their lifetime, more components have failed and needed replacement in 40k Km of Ertiga than in the 200,000 + Km Innova

Last edited by Contrapunto : 1st December 2021 at 13:57.
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks