Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2021, 09:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Creta stolen in 8 minutes

Yes the smart key fob needs a bit of additional care

The simplest solution is to get a faraday pouch for the smart key fob and you will cut the transmission from the key when parked to help prevent the theft

Well we need to be a step ahead to protect our beloved steeds
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 09:43   #17
BHPian

Creta 2020/21 owners,

Any recommendation on using Gear lock, clutch or steering lock which can be used as a physical deterrent?
I understand a separate thread (ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT) exist, but first hand usage experience from creta owners will help us.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash86M View Post
Anyone here knows whether car manufacturers are serious about cyber security of Vehicle
I work on Automotive Cybersecurity, at present India doesn't have any regulation for Automotive Cybersecurity, from July 2022, this becomes a mandatory requirement in several other countries. Europe, USA and China are serious about it.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Creta's are being targeted in Indore these days. Four Creta are stolen within a span of 15 days and that too from a particular area of Indore.
This is something serious going on in Indore. I have come to know of such cases in recent times more frequently that what I will be ok to live with.

In one particular case, got to know that a less than 1 month old car got stolen after first service and the secondary key that the owner had with him was a duplicate one and not the original. Hence the insurance company refused the claim for want of the second key and now they are accusing the owner to have faked the car theft.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd December 2021 at 13:06. Reason: quote content trimmed
sunilch is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:54   #20
AZT
BHPian

We keep getting more and more reasons to opt for Return to invoice cover these days.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Creta's are being targeted in Indore these days. Four Creta are stolen within a span of 15 days and that too from a particular area of Indore.
It will be worthwhile to check the service history of the vehicles. I suspect there is possibility of inside hand from dealer workshop.

Have read such news/ post where duplication of security code took place when vehicles were sent to a dealer. Not able to locate that piece of news.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 14:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
This is something serious going on in Indore. I have come to know of such cases in recent times more frequently that what I will be ok to live with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
It will be worthwhile to check the service history of the vehicles. I suspect there is possibility of inside hand from dealer workshop.

Have read such news/ post where duplication of security code took place when vehicles were sent to a dealer. Not able to locate that piece of news.

In this particular case, Police were able to catch the thieves with the car within 3 hours or so. Police were already investigating on previous Creta car theft cases, so they were bit aware of route thieves are taking, and thus, were able to catch them.

As thieves are behind the bars, we may get more information on how the gang was operating and who all were helping them.

Will post article URL here if there is more news on this.
INJAXN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 16:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I work on Automotive Cybersecurity, at present India doesn't have any regulation for Automotive Cybersecurity, from July 2022, this becomes a mandatory requirement in several other countries. Europe, USA and China are serious about it.
So just like how the seat belts, ABS, airbags etc were made mandatory, this too would see the light one fine day. By then, lot of cars would've disappeared into thin air. And not having any such regulations is a sure way of "boosting" sales to revive the auto sector.

Before that, they may come up with a scrappage policy for car bandits

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 2nd December 2021 at 16:03.
Old 2nd December 2021, 16:41   #24
BANNED

Same type modus operandi was operating in indore 2009-2010 time period and at that time there target was Toyota Innova. One of my relatives innova got stolen at that time and he could lodge fir but nothing happened there after. Now they target only those cars which are high in demand.
Old 2nd December 2021, 18:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

There is no sustainable approach to theft-proofing one's car. By sustainable I mean effort that one is willing to put in each day everyday!

For example, you could always remove all 4 wheels of your car or maybe the steering wheel itself. How about taking out critical fuses each day?

Then comes kill switch. Of course you can put one but do you know that it voids warranty, yes it does! If the dealer wants then that's one way to get your warranty void.

So what are we really left with?

The best alternative is to ensure that you have car insurance (please don't laugh) and if you've spent some lakhs getting it accessorized then get them added too in the insurance (I even have my Rigid LED bar added in insurance).

Once you've covered yourself with the best theft-proofing alternative lets proceed to the second best alternative.

Put obvious deterrents! However obsolete they look or sound you must get them in place. I have a gear lock and a clutch lock (its better than brake lock) so I've put a shiny sticker on both so that even with one look into the car cabin, the guy knows he has to bypass two more physical locks and working the clutch lock in that awkward position isn't any car jacker's preferred choice.

If you can manage a steering lock get that as well. However many physical locks you can live with putting up and taking out each day, get them. I rarely use any lock in my car coz I've moved into an apartment that has Z+ security (compared to how security generally is in apartments) but whenever I'm parking out on trips etc. I put both the locks.

Everything else is left over alternatives - CCTV, guard dog, guard human, GPS, 2G phone with 1000 days battery backup etc.

To re-iterate, please come to terms with the fact that your most beloved possession is at the end a combo of metal and moving parts. If one gets totaled you can always get another but cortisol and its effects are real, enjoy the time you have with your car and if someone jacks it then use the insurance money to get another, maybe even an upgrade!
fine69 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:19   #26
BHPian

These car companies are giving Android Auto, Apple Carplay and other connected technologies but I don't understand why they are not getting biometric recognition in cars when nowadays all smartphones come with atleast a fingerprint sensor. Maybe some have it but all car makers should start providing it in all cars. Just relying on a key fob is ridiculous.
CarNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:51   #27
BHPian

That's the price one pays for too much electronics but sadly we feel incomplete without them. Name an electronic device that cannot be hacked. That includes your SMART TV as well.

The only solution I see is using pure mechanical devices to protect the car (steering lock and gear lock). Not that these are 100% assurance device but at least cannot be played around with a software program.
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
I have seen a lot of Hyundai owners who dont remove their VIN stickers from their cars even after years after buying it, is there is any particular reason for that?

To me this is the biggest security risk I can see, and TBH they should remove it during PDI.
For KIA, its clearly written in this sticker that it should be removed before delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Creta stolen in 8 minutes-img_20211203_1019422.jpg  

Ethnicul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:42   #29
BANNED

No need to make geniuses out of petty but tech savvy thieves. With the right equipment and some eastern European software anyone can become a car hacking "genius". This looks like a signal amplified relay attack. And most recent keyless entry systems with proximity detection are vulnerable. So, this doesn't apply only to Hyundai/Kia owners.

To protect yourself there are 4 steps you can take:

1. Be suspicious of people hanging around your car or home, duh!

2. Use a Faraday sleeve for the keyfob and use the keyfob only when you are near the car - 1 to 2 mtrs.

3. If a key press on the fob doesn't invoke the intended reaction from the car, get suspicious since someone might be jamming the transponder signal.
If that happens, drive away to a different location (get away from possible thieves) and make sure to lock-unlock your car 6-7 times to clear the jammed/hacked rolling code from the car's memory.

4. Remove injector or fuel pump fuses if leaving the car in a shady area.

Last edited by Electromotive : 3rd December 2021 at 10:45.
Electromotive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:52   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
These car companies are giving Android Auto, Apple Carplay and other connected technologies but I don't understand why they are not getting biometric recognition in cars when nowadays all smartphones come with atleast a fingerprint sensor.
The fingerprint locks can be bypassed easily. This was also observed in some thefts in my area where the owner of the house had a smart lock installed on the main gate of the home. I don’t think that these biometric systems will prove to be of any help.

Soon after, many people jumped back to traditional lock for their front doors. If you don't have a secured parking then the only thing that you can do is to buy an insurance and get RTI in the initial years of insurance.

Also, you would have to end up creating multiple profiles for different family members sharing the car. The valet and the multi-level parkings where you need to drop the car key will be another challenge.

Another challenge as mentioned in one of the post above is stopping the alloys from being stolen. I have heard dozens of cases in my society where the car was left on the bricks. The alloy locks and the CCTVs are not stopping these thieves either.

Earlier, the motorised side mirrors were also a target and my car’s side mirror were stolen a month after its delivery. I think that has stopped now since I didn’t hear much of those cases

Most Viewed