Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 20:10   #1
BHPian

Creta stolen in 8 minutes

Creta's are being targeted in Indore these days. Four Creta are stolen within a span of 15 days and that too from a particular area of Indore.

Thieves are able to disable the security system, create duplicate keys, start the car and flee with it. And all of this was done in just 8 minutes with the help of a laptop. Such high tech thieves we have got here.

As per report in the newspaper, software to disable car security system are easily available in Delhi/Mumbai at cost of 10k to 20k

We also park our cars on the road outside our house, and this is such a worrisome news.

@creta owners: Be vigilant and lock your cars, may be with a chain.

More details here:
https://www.bhaskar.com/local/mp/ind...129170360.html

Similar article in English here:
https://granthshala.in/luxury-car-st...afe-like-this/
INJAXN is online now   (51) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 20:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Creta stolen in 8 minutes

So much for connected car features. With the advent of more gadgets and electronics such incidents are only going to increase. The good old "analog cars" of the yesteryears will be sorely missed. Hope the cars are recovered and handed over to the rightful owners ASAP.
kushagra452 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 21:06   #3
BHPian

Herd of creta/seltos alloy thefts, new news

Hyundai c'mon you all can do better !!
Old 1st December 2021, 21:09   #4
BHPian

Why not use gear/tyre/steering lock to protect?

Also maybe keep third party tracker like Apple Tag hidden in car to track your vehicle.

Dont rely on OEM solutions as they are first to get compromised.
heydj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 21:11   #5
BHPian

Anyone with right tools and equipment and a leak from some internal/dealer source can break any level of security, only thing is the time and ease of doing it. So much for connected tech, they can't even add a feature to alert customer on new key being paired or learnt?
saikarthik is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 21:33   #6
BHPian

I have seen a lot of Hyundai owners who dont remove their VIN stickers from their cars even after years after buying it, is there is any particular reason for that?

Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 1820
Size:  341.1 KB

To me this is the biggest security risk I can see, and TBH they should remove it during PDI.
Black_Star is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 22:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
I have seen a lot of Hyundai owners who dont remove their VIN stickers from their cars...
To me this is the biggest security risk I can see, and TBH they should remove it during PDI.
VIN is also written on the bottom of the windshield. Not exactly secret information.
Samurai is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 22:50   #8
BHPian

TBH this is the worst nightmare of owners of fast selling cars, especially the ones having high waiting period. Would love to know how the Bluelink services help. If it's even useful or it's just a marketing gimmick, considering that it encompasses geo fencing, tracking, remote control of car's electronics etc.
Just had one doubt, is the Bluelink/connected car tech inbuilt into the car electronics or it's a separate attachment fixed to the OBD port?
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 00:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
VIN is also written on the bottom of the windshield. Not exactly secret information.
You know I just went out in the cold to see if my Etios's VIN is written on the windshield or not.

And as it turns out its not. In my car's case the VIN is safety hidden out of sight in the engine bay and behind the driver side door.
Black_Star is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 01:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Some ideas to theft proof your vehicle.

Last edited by jeepster : 2nd December 2021 at 01:43.
jeepster is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 02:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Just had one doubt, is the Bluelink/connected car tech inbuilt into the car electronics or it's a separate attachment fixed to the OBD port?
In my Skoda Rapid, its a seperate attachment from jio connect. Now I'm wondering how safe my car is considering not much focus being on cyber security in car tech wise.
Any person with knowledge of location where this device is installed in car can disable it by plugging out. When I think about it, my wife's AJIO acc was hacked last yr. And My Car has Jio connect device installed.

With so many connected car features, one manufacturer having internet inside logo on car. Are we entry new age of car theft?

Anyone here knows whether car manufacturers are serious about cyber security of Vehicle
Akash86M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 06:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

There's another thread of similar theft but a Jeep Compass. So it's not just Creta that's vulnerable.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...len-delhi.html (CCTV video: Jeep Compass stolen in Delhi)

To be honest, I'm not as comfortable as before to park cars anywhere and everywhere and out of sight. High time we installed some tracking device than relying on OEM systems for vehicle tracking. I know of car owners who use solutions like Apple's AirTag for extra peace of mind. These events just goes onto show the vulnerability of tech laden cars, despite all the efforts by car manufacturers to make it theft proof. May be these systems are nowhere as robust and secure as a banking system. Just like constant threats to the security of banking systems, cars with telematics capabilities are increasingly susceptible and are in the constant line of attack too.

Another thread on an Innova theft.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...len-delhi.html (CCTV Footage: My Innova Crysta ZX AT got stolen in Delhi)

Another relevant thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ome-light.html (How cars are stolen in India | Former top cop sheds some light)

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 2nd December 2021 at 07:15.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 07:11   #13
BHPian

Bottomline: Creta owners beware. Else you'll soon be ex-Creta owners
srvm is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 08:56   #14
BHPian

Earlier it were Toyota Innovas which were most theft-prone and now its Creta.
Owners having any of these two must take extra precautions.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 09:31   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen a lot of Hyundai owners who dont remove their VIN stickers from their cars even after years after buying it, is there is any particular reason for that?....To me this is the biggest security risk I can see, and TBH they should remove it during PDI.
Maybe to show it is a new model?

You have to see the Arabs in GCC nations. They are notorious to leave their seat plastic covers on for years. Even put new plastic covers to make it afresh.

Weird?

Well, how about 30+ years old Caprice Classics and Cressidas still having the stickers on the rear passenger glass? Part of their idea of restoring an old vehicle is putting a new Monroney sticker on the glass, like the car is supposedly fresh from the showroom.

Quote:
You know I just went out in the cold to see if my Etios's VIN is written on the windshield or not....And as it turns out its not. In my car's case the VIN is safety hidden out of sight in the engine bay and behind the driver side door.
The practice of VIN seems to be an European practice, so the Etios would be the last vehicle to have it. Still remember the RTO officer being adamant that I read aloud the VIN from underneath the seat, than reading from the sticker on the windshield.
DicKy is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks