Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maharashtra: Compounding fees for traffic offences hiked

The Maharashtra government has implemented the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act 2019. Under the new law, compounding fees for traffic offences have been hiked, which is expected to bring down accidents and ensure discipline among road users.

Maharashtra: Compounding fees for traffic offences hiked-goa.jpg

As per the notification, the compounding fees for blocking the path of an ambulance has been set at Rs. 10,000, whereas unauthorized interference with the vehicle attracts a penalty of Rs. 1,000.

The compounding fees for driving without insurance and license has been set at Rs. 2,000 and Rs. 5,000 respectively.

The compounding fees for vehicle racing has been set at Rs. 5,000 for the first offence and Rs. 10,000 for subsequent offences.

Displaying an improper number plate attracts a fine of Rs. 1,000. The penalty for traveling without a ticket or pass on stage carriage buses will be Rs. 500.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd December 2021 at 17:19.
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 18:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maharashtra: Compounding fees for traffic offences hiked

The notification has basically enhanced the fines for errant motor vehicle users which could act as a deterrent. Many states have already enhanced the archaic penalties and fines which were hitherto too meagre before the MV Act amendment of 2019. A finer point here is that the notification in English was issued on 26.11.2021, while the one in Marathi was issued on 01/12/2021 by the Maharashtra government.

Wrong parking was let off with a paltry fine of Rs 200. And for instance Sec 180 “allowing unauthorised persons to drive vehicles” along with the enhanced fine also can get a jail term of three months to the vehicle owner which magistrates rarely enforce.

Sec 182 “driving without licence” fine of Rs 10,000 is a welcome decision.

Sec 183 and 184 “driving at excessive speed” and “driving dangerously” fines of a one to two thousand rupees respectively appear to be meagre still and due to the havoc such drivers create, these need further enhancements. The second or subsequent offence has provision of Rs 10,000 fine if committed within three years of the first offence. Whether the traffic police of Maharashtra and other states/ UT's (fines have been enhanced in most states and UT's) have the requisite software to detect the second and subsequent offences?

Or as was observed in a city in Maharashtra by me, the Dy Commissioner of Police (Traffic) office in 2018 after High Court orders based on my PIL had registers where manual entries for traffic offences were made. The Supdt of Police (Rural) of the same city's office too had such manual entries. So I told these officers and later the High Court that a person committing the first offence in Sindhudurg could come here and commit the same offence and get away with a paltry fine as it will always be registered and re-registered as the first offence. Similarly, for drunk driving, subsequent offences have heavier fines, suspension of driving licence and jail terms too, which were then not recorded as second or third offences enforced properly. For suspension or cancellation of driving licence, the traffic police writes to the respective RTO office with details of the offence, licence no., offender's name, address for necessary action. But the few cases referred to the RTO office on record then in 2018 as perused by me were found pending without any action taken by the RTO since upto six months.

The parallel economy run by the corrupt officials of the police force and also the RTO will be collecting windfall personal revenues as bribes because if he or she lets go some offender, the bribe paid will also now be nearly in four figures for these offences.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd December 2021 at 18:55.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:46   #3
BHPian

Increasing the fine fees will eventually and apparently lead to only more corruption. Nothing is going to change just by this hike.

Only strict enforcement and enactment of any law/rule (even if the fine is less) will achieve the desired goal. However, for traffic offences, I will simply not blame just the public alone. Equally responsible are the various government departments as well.

Nevertheless, only teamwork wins.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 20:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

The only effective way to reduce traffic offences is to trouble the offenders rather than penalizing them with money. Collecting Money is proven to be a failure in reducing the traffic offences.

Rules should be something like

1. Seize the vehicles and park at some parking lot under police custody (police station is the best)
2. Pay the monthly rent for parking, offence penalty and all other fees have at court(no online payment or pay at site options)
3. Releasing the vehicle only after 1 month.(30 days lock compulsory)
4. Police is NOT responsible for any damage during this stay at parking lot.

This will definitely teach lessons to traffic offenders. But loop hole here is, police will take money under carpet and release the vehicles without booking the cases.

I don't think there is any way to reduce under carpet dealings

Last edited by gkveda : 3rd December 2021 at 20:02.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 02:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Something needs to be done. Post lockdown road manners have gotten terrible. I have racked up more scratches in this year than in the previous 5 years of ownership !
I feel that errant drivers need to be inconvenienced rather than fined. Only loss of time and being made to run around to get their vehicle back will make people follow the rules
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 06:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
1. Seize the vehicles and park at some parking lot under police custody (police station is the best)

4. Police is NOT responsible for any damage during this stay at parking lot.

This will definitely teach lessons to traffic offenders.
Say bye bye to your vehicle then. Police stations esp here in MH are notorious for car parts theft as well as cars themselves.
No car No offense, simple Funda!
Torq is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 09:09   #7
OmV
BHPian

Maybe be slightly OT.
Unfortunately there is no easy redressal mechanism for challenging wrong fines. (Atleast to my knowledge.) There are instances of speeding challans issued for 1 kmph over the limit. Speed cams do need calibration which I highly doubt is ever done. Same for decibel meters and breathalyzers. Additionally, overseas you can also demand proof that the officer in question is trained to use the applicable device.
If a mechanism exists and someone could point it out to me, it will be greatly appreciated ��.
Is there a thread for dos (and don'ts) when pulled over?
OmV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 12:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
Unfortunately there is no easy redressal mechanism for challenging wrong fines. (Atleast to my knowledge.)
I'm facing the same issue. There are many 'no parking' fines on my car, which only have a photo of the license plate and nothing else. Nothing to indicate or prove that my vehicle was parked in a no parking zone.

There is one photo of the driver sitting in the car, and it has come under illegal parking.

There seems to be no way to challenge this. I'm all for the MTP system, but at least the photographic proof needs to be proper and show the crime being committed.
kadanaJ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 15:01   #9
BHPian

The more you increase the fine amounts, the more corruption will seep-in. Unless the manual element of a cop actually clicking a photo of an offender and then confronting him is done away with, the system will continue to have kinks. The only solution (yes, it's an uphill task no doubt in our country) would be to increase coverage of traffic cams which automatically detect offenders and issue challans.

Cops should concentrate more on traffic management rather than revenue generation for the exchequer.
Old 4th December 2021, 17:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Say bye bye to your vehicle then. Police stations esp here in MH are notorious for car parts theft as well as cars themselves.
No car No offense, simple Funda!
Is this not what is required today? There is absolutely no road manners followed, money easily earnt and accessible at swipe of the finger and hence least bothered to throw money what ever may be the amount. no respect for other fellow riders, no respect for police, law or rules.

Coincidentally, when I was coming from Chikkaballapur towards Bangalore today, I saw a XUV5OO car(no offense meant to anyone) overtaking at super speed. After 5-6 kms, same car was caught with interceptor. I smiled at it and thought "Good this bugger is cought for over speeding" and proceeded further. Then after 4-5 kms, again same car overtook me with same dangerous speed on the same road. I told myself, these rants never learn and proceeded. Again after 6 or 7 kms, I saw the same car caught up with another interceptor.

How else do you think can this behaviour be controlled?
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 21:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Happy that fines are increased.

But there is one problem with speeding fines within city limits.

E.g. Palm Beach Road in Navi Mumbai. Speed limit is 60 Kmph. Try driving at 50 Kmph and you will have a traffic queue behind you. Also police people wlil park their speed gun cars in such location wherein you be above 60 Kmph and result in a fine.

A section of bridge leading to Palm Beach has a speed limit of 35 Kmph. Try driving at 30 Kmph, you would have a long traffic queue behind you.

Same goes for Mum-Pune Eway. Speed limit of 100 Kmph which is less for modern cars. Some sections all of a sudden change speed limit to 60 Kmph. How do you suddenly slow down?

Speed Limits need revision within City and Highways.

While paying such high fines, road tax & toll; roads in Mumbai and Highways in Maharashtra are not that good.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 10:11   #12
BHPian

Here in Chennai, I've got couple of challans for signal-jumping. I've done it by mistake and not intentionally. But I've seen alot of government vehicles, police jeeps/two-wheelers crossing signals and causing trouble for the general public. Are government/police vehicles exempted from MV Act ? Are they not liable to pay any fines for offending traffic?
Old 7th December 2021, 10:19   #13
BHPian

A points system on the driving license is a good way to deter people Vs only fines. More than X number if violations and DL will be suspended.

Despite the frustrations, suggestions of going overboard with empowering the police will not help. The police system is by far the most corrupt, inhumane and value less systems. Most of the lower rank policemen are goons in a uniform with the only intention of earning bribe. Tomorrow it could be us being flagged down and harassed unnecessarily by a crooked cop !
charanreddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 13:45   #14
BHPian

I personally feel this is once again a classic case of our guys trying to emulate other parts of the world and considering it progress or development.

I'm all for heavy fines and penalties for traffic offenses but without a proper plan for implementation and education these heavy fines will not fulfill the objective of ensuring safety of drivers, passengers and everyone else around them.

Some issues which I feel need to be fixed in addition to the bit already mentioned about how to track first time offenders vs someone doing the same offense multiple times.

- Cops in Maharashtra tend to turn a blind eye to "locals" from the area.
They are allowed to ride and drive on the wrong side of the road, triple seat on a bike, talk on the mobile phone, randomly cut across the road etc and they will not be fined.

- The attitude of law enforcement has to change. It is at present a very myopic view where someone who comes from a different section of society is viewed as the bad guy or someone who needs to be caught and taught a lesson perhaps because he's got a better car or dressed differently or maybe because he or she comes across as someone who can pay a higher amount. Rules have to enforced equally.

Last edited by theqca : 7th December 2021 at 13:47.
theqca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 16:46   #15
BHPian

There are plenty of law breakers with fake number plates causing headache as well. The official response by cops is to download an Android application called Mahatra Traffic app from Play Store and report it to Grievance. This will get the invoice cancelled apparently. With echallans becoming popular, this is becoming more of a nuisance.

Most Viewed