Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2021, 08:27   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lowest reading on Odometer for number of ownership years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelandur View Post
Dr AD, honored to get your views. I completely agree and echo 100% with your views. I am in love with this beauty though people would call it a beast. A 1600cc engine with 104 bhp is an amazing combination for a city ride at that space point! I have a 50% NCB which I am wondering if I should claim for a complete body detailing as I intend to use it for another 3 years? Your thoughts sir?
Glad if my views helped. Thank you! About insurance, I do not think you can use insurance for body detailing anyways. Even full repaint is not covered by insurance unless it is due to some serious accident. Thus, insurance is not applicable for cosmetic fixes anyways.

Keeping insurance aside, I do think it is wroth spending a little money to fix the car in whatever way required (cosmetically as well mechanically). Fortunately, Maruti service and spare parts prices are quite inexpensive and it is possible to replace things without having to worry too much about the cost.

It is a lovely car. If you can use it for another three years by spending some money, I would say it is totally worth it.

However, coming back to the topic of this post, I would say drive this car more. This car deserves a lot more driving than what you have done. Maybe spend more money on driving this car first before spending on anything else :-) This is a perfect car for visiting the hills and remote resorts in the beautiful areas of Chikmagalur, Coorg, Ooty etc, which are all easily accessible from Bangalore.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 18:32   #77
BHPian

Santro Xing 17 years old November 2004 model. Done only 99500 kms (done 19 kms more since the pic was taken). That makes it just 5850 kms/year.

It has had its fair share of long distance travels as well as long periods of inaction. But over the last 5 years, it has been largely used as a city car with only 2 or 3 inter-city trips as those duties have been taken over by my father’s EcoSport diesel.

I think there should be separate threads for 2 wheelers & 4 wheelers as most 2 wheelers are used for commuting within the locality & are bound to have lower Odo readings as compared to 4 wheelers which do get to do some inter-city trips, however rare they may be.

P.S. : Eagerly awaiting excitedly for the Odo to complete the next 500kms & waiting to see the 100000 kms figure on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Lowest reading on Odometer for number of ownership years?-fb154bfd0fa741f38732a7977209a6a1.jpeg  

Last edited by ScorpioYadav : 14th December 2021 at 18:37. Reason: Post Script added.
Old 16th December 2021, 12:59   #78
BHPian

My Santro Xing has just above 44000 km in my 11.5 year ownership. Just about 4000kms a year.
Way too low being my main carrier for the last 9 years. It spend 4 years in Silchar decorating the garage, the roads being too pathetic for me to take out the car
Old 24th January 2022, 12:52   #79

Dear, Sir and fellow BHPians-

I took my car for servicing which was long due at a Maruti Authorised Dealer, Kalyani Motors Bannerghatta Road in Bangalore. The SA looked at the car and provided me PMS estimate of ₹10K for consumables and spares + ₹6.5K for labor. At an odo of nearly 28K, I was quite surprised at the estimate and on questioning the logic he mentioned that at 11yrs they would treat this as equivalent to a service for 1L on the ODO!

During the inspection, I had asked them to look at other aspects on the condition and wear and tear of the vehicle. They gave me a mini heart attack for replacing the following parts, which I thought was an attempt to rip me off!

Clutch Set @ ₹12.5k, clutch is fine but just a bit hard.
Steering Rack @ ₹38.5K
Lower Arm @ ₹15.2K
Link Rod @2K
Battery @5K changed last in 2020.
Tyre Change - Bridgestone or Equivalent 205/60/R16 @ ₹40K foe 4 set - recommended it be changed immediately as the tyres are more than 10yrs (JK Stock).

I asked them not to replace anything!!

I am seeking opinion of this community if I am being ripped off or if this is truly needed? I have my vehicle in pristine condition and only city use. The current IDV is at ₹2.4L at 50% NCB. If I get these parts replaced plus the servicing, the cost is nearly half of my IDV!

Should I get an assessment done by some other MAD for a second opinion! If this is indeed needed or just an opportunity to fleece me.

Pls weigh in.

Regards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Glad if my views helped.
Thank you! About insurance, I do not think you can use insurance for body detailing anyways. Even full repaint is not covered by insurance unless it is due to some serious accident. Thus, insurance is not applicable for cosmetic fixes anyways.

Keeping insurance aside, I do think it is wroth spending a little money to fix the car in whatever way required (cosmetically as well mechanically). Fortunately, Maruti service and spare parts prices are quite inexpensive and it is possible to replace things without having to worry too much about the cost.

It is a lovely car. If you can use it for another three years by spending some money, I would say it is totally worth it.

However, coming back to the topic of this post, I would say drive this car more. This car deserves a lot more driving than what you have done. Maybe spend more money on driving this car first before spending on anything else :-) This is a perfect car for visiting the hills and remote resorts in the beautiful areas of Chikmagalur, Coorg, Ooty etc, which are all easily accessible from Bangalore.
Old 24th January 2022, 12:59   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a rule if the cost is on the higher side always get a second opinion. Take your car to a trusted garage and get it verfied. Use the Team BHP directory section to find a trusted garage if you don't know one. Even if all the parts really do need changing you can get it done for close to the half the cost mentioned by the service advisor at a reputed garage. Keep in mind make sure only genuine spares should be used if you visit a garage.
Old 24th January 2022, 17:11   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I took my car for servicing which was long due at a Maruti Authorised Dealer, Kalyani Motors Bannerghatta Road in Bangalore.................

Clutch Set @ ₹12.5k, clutch is fine but just a bit hard.
Steering Rack @ ₹38.5K
Lower Arm @ ₹15.2K
Link Rod @2K
Battery @5K changed last in 2020.
Tyre Change - Bridgestone or Equivalent 205/60/R16 @ ₹40K foe 4 set - recommended it be changed immediately as the tyres are more than 10yrs (JK Stock).

I asked them not to replace anything!!

I am seeking opinion of this community if I am being ripped off or if this is truly needed? I have my vehicle in pristine condition and only city use. The current IDV is at ₹2.4L at 50% NCB. If I get these parts replaced plus the servicing, the cost is nearly half of my IDV!

Should I get an assessment done by some other MAD for a second opinion! If this is indeed needed or just an opportunity to fleece me.

Pls weigh in.

Regards!
My Alto K10 is Aug 2010, and run less than 20K km. This is what I have changed over years

1. Battery at 6 years and 10 years. Batteries for petrol cars last 4+ years.

2. Tyres at 16k km last year (10+ years). I got JK at 10K for four after exchange of old tyres.

3. Wipers practically every two years.

4. Rear brake shoes last year as they had worn out and one of the shoes broke jamming the drum.

Rest no change. Clutch is a bit hard, but drivable. Drive train is pristine so no need to change. Window beading is worn out so may be changed before monsoon.

For an old car, which has run 24k km, barring regular service with oil change not much needs to be changed unless it is worn out (rarely as modern cars especially Japanese and Korean designs, every thing lasts 50k+ km). Yes sometimes tyres get hard and brittle (you will know when, as punctures occur frequently).

In short go to an FNG and get your car checked.
Old 17th May 2023, 22:52   #82
BHPian

Had a Hyundai Accent 2005 GLE Petrol from 2005 to 2021, i.e. 16 years. Drove it just 11000 odd kms before selling it. Average comes to 687 kms per year! Unfortunately, don’t have a pic of the odometer and now there is no way of getting it as it is no longer with me.
Had five other cars during the same period that’s why such a low mileage.
Old 18th May 2023, 18:05   #83
BANNED

Indigo Manza - 11 years, 31k Kms. Butter smooth.
Old 18th May 2023, 18:06   #84
BHPian

My father in law's Hyundai Eon.
11 Years - 11000 Kilometers.
Old 31st August 2023, 15:07   #85
BHPian

My 2007 Yahama Rx135
Odo as of today - 969.4 km

So, do I win or do I win ?
bhphog is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 17:07   #86
BHPian

My car reading as of today

2012 Jetta Comfortline TDI - 51000 Kms
2015 F30 BMW 320D - 35000 Kms
Old 31st August 2023, 17:13   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

My car reading, purchased oct 2008:

33000 Kms in nearly 15 years.
Old 31st August 2023, 20:37   #88
BHPian

2006 Hero Honda Pleasure - 16000 kms in 17 years
Fitness done. Still running like a gem. Used for local errands in and around the house.

Our cars usually do heavy running, so can’t list them here.

Most Viewed