Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2007, 17:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

When will it all end?

From a long time i wanted to start a discussion on this issue. Whenever we have visited a foreign country we ve always admired the fact people drive without honking or without breaking rules either. while breaking the rules is extremely subjective in a country like india, atleast the noise factor is something we can slowly progress towards abolishing.

also in other countries, both government and the people know the rules and go by it, which is why its a pleasure driving there. however in india, its both the people and the government who is at loggerheads on how to solve this issue. if there needs to be a proactive discussion on resolving it, everyone participates, but when it comes to actually applying the same principles to ourselves, we dont even invest few minutes of our time to think if we can actually do it.

as an example in my city, for a few years now, i ve always given way to pedestrians and some times other vehicles to go first, just based on the thought that they too need to cross the road or on the thought that them going first will solve a possible traffic jam. however, these days especially when the bangalore rains are too much, I see so many two wheelers being cruelly splashed on with rain water by much bigger vehicles including buses and sedans or other cars. is it that in our anxiety and urgency we fail to understand that they are exposed to the elements that we are not, or are we doing this without the slightest regard to the lesser priviledged people (in terms of vehicle ownership!)?

imposing huge fines is not a solution to this definitely though it will prevent people from doing the mistake for a few times after which they find loopholes to repeat it. that aside, the relaxed efficiency of the officials is also cause for people to know that rules can be bent after sometime. so where does the exact solution lie in between all this? will we never see an india where driving is quiet, noiseless and stress free?
Old 30th May 2007, 17:10   #2
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
will we never see an india where driving is quiet, noiseless and stress free?
NOPE... NEVER!
Old 30th May 2007, 17:21   #3
BHPian

The key word here Geek I guess is lack of Infrastructure. To be more precise I would like to highlight that of late I have found that a few areas in my city have been streamlined, roads have been widened etc. At these stretches driving is a breeze. There is not much of honking and the average speed in which the traffic moves is much better. Yes, there are bottlenecks on such stretches but those are because of the construction of flyovers, foot over bridges etc., these would take time. However on completion of these works all one can percieve is a smoother flow of traffic, lack of jaywalkers et al. This will relate into smoother flows.

The above mentioned changes are being adopted in high traffic areas and time will heal. Regarding other areas things would change, I do see a vast change in the way our country is progressing and well if we are unable to reap the fruits am sure atleast our children will, or maybe our grandchildren. What I would like to iterate here is that Rome wasn't built in a day and we, as a country, do not have the money or the resources to alter our Infrastructure like a cash rich Dubai could do. So patience is the virtue we need to adopt and we could/should change ourselves from what we are i.e, gnarling, snarling, irritated motorists to ones that carry a smile, enjoy the drive and set the pace for the rest to follow and be ready when the infrastructure is in place. I see that you are very much in the right track and laud your actions and thoughts for others on the road. See, we are progressing, maybe we at TBHP should formulate and take an oath involving careful driving instilled with respect for others on the road etc before we are made BHPians and at the meets reiterate the oath so it is deep rooted amongst us.

Last edited by suren181 : 30th May 2007 at 17:36.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:24   #4
BHPian

Possible Solution

I guess goverment should cancel all driving licenses.
New licenses should be issued based on driving test and a test on pre-requsit mandatory training on trafic rules and road manners.

I think this will atleast educate people to know if they are wrong or correct.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why do we want the want the Government / RTO / Lack of infrastructure to step in and do everything for us ?

A little bit of common sense and patience if used by all , will go a long long way in improving the situations that we drive in these days.

There is a thread about not honking, but here I have given up honking. Its futile and doesn't affect anyone - animals, humans, scooter drivers , auto drivers, bus drivers et all.

I guess till we all improve ourselves and start thinking about other people using the road without getting our EGO's in the way, I think we should be fine.

The sad part is - I dont see that happening. (I wish I could add soon at the end)
Old 30th May 2007, 17:32   #6
HSV
BHPian

No mate... the keyword is ATTITUDE! We have an attitude problem basically. Everyone wants to get ahead of the other. We do not respect others' rights.

Slightly OT: This attitude problem not only reflects in our driving style but also in our upkeep of our surroundings. I've seen educated people spitting paan on roads, chucking wrappers, banana peels and whole lot of other stuff - out of their car windows.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:36   #7
HSV
BHPian

A classic example. I've stopped giving indicators while changing lanes - I used to religously. Know why? Cause every time one gives an indicator the guy on your side or behind you accelerates and blocks you immediately sensing that you may get ahead of them!

Everyone wants that they get to go first, rest can wait.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Why do we want the want the Government / RTO / Lack of infrastructure to step in and do everything for us ?

A little bit of common sense and patience if used by all , will go a long long way in improving the situations that we drive in these days.
I guess my post was a bit too long to read completely but i was implying something in the same lines as you are n_c. I have infact lauded the efforts of the authorities and ahave accepted the fact that there has been a sincere effort by them towards the path of progress, unlike was the case decades ago.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:47   #9
BHPian

I think parts of Mumbai are better in this respect. For example on the regular commuter routes such as Nariman Point to Mahim, there is bumper to bumper traffic in the evenings. There is hardly any honking by the regulars who know that traffic moves in a slow and steady pace. And honking cant get you much faster.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if we or our children will live to see it end. Being this way is part of our culture. It is in our blood. It will take 4-5 generations for this to change gradually. I doubt if any change in anything external to us will make any improvement (better roads, better implementation of law, better infrastructure etc.).

A guy will throw the chocolate wrapper on the road no matter how many dustbins line the streets. The other guy will spit at the sidewalk even if there is a dustbin 1 feet from him. He may even spit at the dustbin just for the sake of spitting at something.

Like they say, "We are like this only".

I'm not implying that we should throw up our hands and give up, and be part of "them". No. Only if a few of us take pains to improve and become better people will the possibility of the future culture being improved become better. The problem is in the numbers. How many people will have to become better citizens and people for this to get carried down the generations and for the "goodness" to spread? And how much time?

Last edited by hydrashok : 30th May 2007 at 17:54.
Old 30th May 2007, 17:57   #11
BHPian

I think that one day in the distant future, these things will change. Bangalore has become very worse with regards to rash driving / road sense.

Cheers,
Jai
Old 30th May 2007, 18:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
The key word here Geek I guess is lack of Infrastructure.
I disagree.. The key is lack of COMMON SENSE. I have lost count of the number of times these "Me first at any cost" drivers overtake on the wrong side. Only to find later that our desi Schumacher is just a couple of cars ahead... or worse, cooling his heels at the next signal !!

Another common thing in India is that courtesy is abused/overused instead of being appreciated. If I let one person/vehicle pass through, there will invariably be 101 vehicles behind him trying to get thru.. to rub salt, they will be DEMANDING courtesy by tooting their stupid horns.

Last edited by spadival : 30th May 2007 at 18:05.
Old 30th May 2007, 18:03   #13
BHPian

Whenever, I stop at the signal at night people honk till the green light shows up.

If I make way for an old man to cross the road, people honk.

If I dont horn, autowallas will have their endless 20Kmph race all the time.

Bikers occupy right side of the road on freeways and open stretches forcing you to overtake from the left which has anyway become a norm. If you argue, they say 'hey I have left the entire left stretch of the road...take it!!'

Biker will always park in front of me even if I am waiting to get my air checked in petrol pump...

Forget driving, if I go to a fast food joint for buying something, someone will put their hands above, below, left right all over and try getting their coupons first....

This is deep-rooted culture. Nothing can be done. We will probably post the same thread after we retire too

The worrysome part is that even in schools, these days nothing is being done about this. So the future doesnt look very bright either
Old 30th May 2007, 18:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Lets start it from here only... Lets make sure we all at Team-BHP, will not honk unnecessarily, will not jump signals, will follow all traffic rules that we are aware of... n the most important, We will always fasten our seat belts..

I happened to have a victim of following traffic rules. I printed on a paper that

"Please do not honk while the red signal is on, I will not jump the red light just because you have got a nature's call or have some urgent work.. I respect ambulance, fire bridge and police vehicles privileges".

I put it on my car's rear glass n then within 3 days, I saw it was ripped off... Some people are crazy here.. They are just hopeless to teach then the law.. They are just educated animals.. Anyways, I still do not jump red light even if vehicle behind me is honking.. max I get slang words.. nothing else.. well and at times... a finger..

Last edited by neoonwheels : 30th May 2007 at 18:18.
Old 30th May 2007, 18:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Forget driving, if I go to a fast food joint for buying something, someone will put their hands above, below, left right all over and try getting their coupons first....
Yikes.. tell me about it!! Recently I had to aggresively push back a guy standing behind me at a Mc Donald's restaurant. He was pushing me from behind.. like he was some Ethiopean starvation victim waiting for his first meal.

I have found a solution for those "too close for comfort" guys at airport security queues.. I just keep my trolley bag behind me, ensuring these guys are forced to keep a safe distance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks