Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2021, 21:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives

MARUTI ZEN

The Zenerationext is history, buried in lost forgotten archives, but the original legends live long for a reincarnation.
There is a lacerating remorse, some blasphemical moments that deserve to be dug out of the archives.

And some good memories.

Enjoy the chronological archives, below.

The first ever review and road test of the Zen, Auto India, June 1993 issue.
Shared jointly by members superselect and Beemerbug_06

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-1.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-2.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-3.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-4.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-5.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-6.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-7.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-8.jpg

Complete article on the blasphemy, the Maruti Zen diesel, Auto India, 1997 issue. Shared to me by a friend on instagram.

Name:  IMG_20211002_115009_397.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  50.6 KB

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-60.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-61.jpg

Name:  62.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  198.5 KB

Name:  63.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  99.8 KB

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-64.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-65.jpg

Name:  66.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  67.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  112.7 KB

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-68.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-69.jpg

The Zen classic brochure, which I have with me.

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-g-1.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-g-2.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-g-3.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-g-4.jpg

The 2003 Zen carbon and Steel brochure, from my own collection

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-245311338_2368725939930054_8424362497165244190_n.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-245073154_2040246822788980_6034904453949026657_n.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-245298230_1203641813451544_5234761288477259130_n.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-245107928_431429528406236_689858966162044146_n.jpg
sidindica is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 22:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives

The original Maruti Zen brochure, courtesy member swapnilnalawade.

It was posted on a zen ownership thread, but for greater visibility, is now being posted here.

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-1.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-2.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-3.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-4.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-5.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-6.jpg

The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives-7.jpg
sidindica is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 22:28   #3
BHPian

I remember reading the ZenD vs UnoD review. Those were the days of Auto India. Overdrive probably hadn't started yet then (Did Overdrive start in 1999?) I would go to the magazine store from the 1st of every month and ask for Auto India, sometimes would cycle a few kilometers just to find it unavailable.

I used to read every inch of the maganize, collect those posters, and stack those magazines. I loved reading those stories. These magazines then were purist attractions. Slow stories, Long reviews, Driving experiences, mechanical information, and car prizes on the last page. Then came Overdrive, for Rs 30, and I Switched over to Overdrive, possibly a better paper quality, better posters? Better stories?

And then Team BHP happened, and possibly the magazines also were also becoming more of Ad campaigns. Stopped buying those magazines, and a few years back, my Mom gave away all my magazine collections, while shifting house. Now, only Team-BHP rules
vinya_jag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sidindica, you're acing the nostalgia section
Still remember your Daewoo Motors thread.

IMO Zen was the only car that could pull off the "golden" color with elegance. The Esteem was close but didn't seem as perfect as the Zen. Personal memories with a relative's golden Zen VX are still very much alive.

I am surprised to not see the golden Zen VX in the brochure !
There seems to be an LX though and IIRC this is the first time I realised that they put models(not the car) in the brochures
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:06   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh Man! The engine and gearbox combo on the Zen was a killer! I still remember the slick gear shifts on the 2002 Zen MPFi. I would ace the crowded highways with the car just zipping between the traffic. High speed dynamics wasn't great, but the car was super fun for two people on board!

Truly something to good remember for enthusiasts.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Thanks for sharing those Nostalgic memories. I still own my Grey Jelly bean with me. This was one of the most elegant designs of our times. Maruti killed the design by introducing the Zen Classic and the Zen Estilo. I wish to restore the car to it's old glory and looking for good set of hands who can help me.
I can refer to many details in the pictures from the Auto magazine . Thanks once again
Old 21st December 2021, 11:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

My zen (from 2000 to 2002)

Name:  DSC00002.JPG
Views: 1383
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  DSC00003.JPG
Views: 1429
Size:  81.1 KB
mukeshgoel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 13:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Ha! The real zen!!

I owned one in the early 2000s. It was an elusive diesel variant. It was the first low slung driving experience for me. My other ride that time was a Sumo dx. Loved the handling of the zen that time. I still look twice when I see a zen on road. Sadly, 99% on them are badly maintained/ not well kept.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 14:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I remember in those days the Zen was termed as "Dinks" car. People with "Double income no kids". The termed etched in my memory somehow. Things have changed, the "Dinks" type car has changed from a humble yet powerful Zen to the fancy CUV/SUV's we see these days.

The Zen was marketed as a premium hatch back. It was the Baleno of those days, something for the 800 buyer to look up and upgrade to. I sat in one just once in my life time and noticed the interiors were much better and the car felt more modern and up with times than the 800 we owned.
Old 21st December 2021, 14:15   #10
BHPian

I know few Zen owners who were quite affluent moneywise, the zen was the ideal car for their young family members. But that zen classic was a disaster and carbon 2 doors might be way ahead of time.
Old 21st December 2021, 14:31   #11
BHPian

Aww.. Felt nostalgic going through this thread.

I clearly remember returning from school one day in the mid-nineties and saw our neighbour’s brand new red color Zen parked outside his house. Looked super cool and I just couldn't take my eyes off it. Went straight home and told dad that's the car we should buy. And my dad like a typical middle-income family head said, ‘you start earning first and buy whichever car you want’ . We could only afford a Bajaj Chetak back then and owning a car was a big deal. Although we did buy a Maruti 800 few years later (Zen was still out of reach).

Wow, the automotive industry has come up by leaps and bounds over the past 2 decades. Wonder what the future holds.
Kickdown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 23:40   #12
BHPian

Ah! This brings back memories of my first car that served me well through college! It was a white '97 (?) Zen Diesel that me and my buds affectionately named "Vin Diesel". Slow as a snail but you know what they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow! I'll always remember it affectionately! I had a lot of firsts in that thing
2legit2quit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 07:54   #13
BHPian

We have one in our family- 97 single owner red zen ( carbureted one). Kept more for sentimental reasons as this was the last car my uncle used before he passed away young. Still love the low seating position and the short throw gearbox.

But unfortunately, in this day and age the romance will be short lived, if you are used to modern cars. Takes time to start and settle into a smooth idle ( thanks carburetor!) and the pollution levels and smell of fumes is unbelievable compared to modern cars. Ac doesn't work ( not R134a), the steering is too heavy and more turns lock to lock( no PS), turning circle is atrocious for a small car like this. Alas, the cost to revamp it and bring it up to condition ( make it compatible with modern unleaded fuel, AC, electrics etc.), most often than not outweighs the cost of the car itself.

Agree with most members, on the fact that the Zen was THE upward yuppy mobile of the late 90's ( sort of what the Polo GT TSI is today). Double the price of the Maruti 800 DX. All sorts of affluent/rich people in my city used to have a Zen in those days. Nowadays all but disappeared from our roads and the ones that remain are in really pathetic condition in the hands of people who no longer can afford to keep them in top shape. Sad.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:46   #14
BHPian

Re: The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives

Never quite got the hang of the Zen Classic model. I mean, you put a retro front bumper but the car still remains a modern jelly-bean? The classic could have been meaningful if the design element was implemented overall.

However, the 2 door special versions were awesome. I understand there are not many takers for 2 door cars in India, but the product was interesting. I remember a rich young brat in our neighbourhood had one, and that was the first time I fell in love with alloys!
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:16   #15
BHPian

Re: The Maruti Zen - Unseen archives

Owned a Maruti Zen (not the jelly bean one - as you can see in my DP). It was my first car, and have very fond memories of the car. Owned it for ten years before upgrading.
The mpfi engine was pleasant to drive, sufficient for the car of its size and gave a great mileage. The little car handled really well and did not mind being thrown into corners.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks