Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2018, 15:36   #31
BHPian

Re: License Renewal

This is my story of DL renewal. I got my first one 2 decades back at Alandur RTO in Chennai. Subsequently I have moved houses within Chennai and had to change the address in the License during the renewal this time.

A week before the expiry, I had started the process. Thought of documenting it over here thinking it may be helpful for people looking for renewal.

FYI I DID NOT ENGAGE AGENTS FOR THE RENEWAL PROCESS. I DID IT MYSELF

1. Log in to https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiserv...teSelection.do and do the appropriate selections

2. Check if your DL record is available. For me the record was not available online. I had to go to the originating RTO (Alandur), apply for NOC and provide a residence address proof to have the record enabled. Mine got enabled in 2 days time.

3. Once the record is enabled, log in back to the site and select the services you require

4. For DL renewal, you would require Form 1A with a Government Authorized doctor. Ensure you get one or one of the agents outside the RTO can help!

5. Once you have all the required documents, it will be an intuitive process to submit the documents and make the payment. For License renewal and Address change along with RTO specific fees on card printing, etc, I paid 700 INR

6. Once you complete all activities, ensure you take a print out of all the documents you have submitted approach the RTO you have selected in the form

7. At the RTO office, you will have sufficient help to guide you where you should hand over the forms and get it checked and authorized.

8. Once they signoff, you will need to go the photography area and do your signature on a digital pad. The officer will let you know that the process is complete and you can come later in the day (4 PM onwards) to collect your new License

The second renewal, depending on your age is renewed until the age of 50.

All the activities took 3 hours of my time and 30 minutes of wait at RTO offices. With an agent, I would have ended up spending 2500 for the services.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 11:46   #32
BHPian

License Renewal Problem in WB

Friends,

I've encountered a strange problem while trying to renew my DL (WB). My current DL is manual. So they need to computerise the data ("Backlog") before I can even apply for renewal. This process can't be initiated online for WB.

When I went to the RTO for renewal 10 days before DL expiry, I was asked to submit a copy of the DL for "Backlog". The problem is, for the process to be completed, I was given a date which is 23 days after my DL expires! I was not even given a receipt for having applied for "Backlog", and no temporary permit either to be able to drive in the meantime! And since I have no proof of having submitted for "Backlog", I'd have no recourse if they happen to have 'lost' it!

So I'll perforce have to be off roads for at least several weeks now, owing to the RTO's deficiency in service! I even talked to the ARTO, but was given no solution to the problem!

My question to the experienced members is, what if any, is my way out? There are numerous "brokers" (anybody and everybody running a cyber cafe around the RTO) who are only too eager to grab a minimum of Rs. 1500 (for a Rs. 200 job), but apparently can't solve the problem of my having to live without any valid DL or temporary permit to drive for several weeks! Is it a normal situation these days? If I knew I might run into this problem, I'd have applied for "Backlog" a month back. But there was no such warning available online that I could find!

I'd very much appreciate any advice from experienced members in this regard. Thanks.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:49   #33
BHPian

Re: License Renewal Problem in WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Friends,

I've encountered a strange problem while trying to renew my DL (WB). My current DL is manual. So they need to computerise the data ("Backlog") before I can even apply for renewal. This process can't be initiated online for WB.

When I went to the RTO for renewal 10 days before DL expiry, I was asked to submit a copy of the DL for "Backlog". The problem is, for the process to be completed, I was given a date which is 23 days after my DL expires! I was not even given a receipt for having applied for "Backlog", and no temporary permit either to be able to drive in the meantime! And since I have no proof of having submitted for "Backlog", I'd have no recourse if they happen to have 'lost' it!

So I'll perforce have to be off roads for at least several weeks now, owing to the RTO's deficiency in service! I even talked to the ARTO, but was given no solution to the problem!

My question to the experienced members is, what if any, is my way out? There are numerous "brokers" (anybody and everybody running a cyber cafe around the RTO) who are only too eager to grab a minimum of Rs. 1500 (for a Rs. 200 job), but apparently can't solve the problem of my having to live without any valid DL or temporary permit to drive for several weeks! Is it a normal situation these days? If I knew I might run into this problem, I'd have applied for "Backlog" a month back. But there was no such warning available online that I could find!

I'd very much appreciate any advice from experienced members in this regard. Thanks.

Applying for fresh licence might be much easier and straight forward. You can get a Learner licence almost immediately and New licence in a months time, this is guaranteed timeline. Only trouble is to undergo tests once again.
Old 28th February 2019, 08:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Applying for fresh licence might be much easier and straight forward. You can get a Learner licence almost immediately and New licence in a months time, this is guaranteed timeline. Only trouble is to undergo tests once again.
Thanks. Yes, for this approach to work, I'd have to undergo tests once again, -- and for multiple categories of vehicle too!

But that's not the only trouble! I need to have a license holder as a companion everytime I drive with a learner's permit, which is not feasible.
Old 8th March 2019, 15:21   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just came out of this zombie state. I approached the RTO for renewal 40 days before expiry, so I had submit a copy and was asked to wait 5 weeks, just 1 week prior to expiry. Since I am going out of town this weekend for 15 days, I couldn't wait. So after 4 weeks of wait, today I visited the Jayanagar RTO again hoping for the best. It was stuck in backlog. But the kind superintendent lady in-charge gave a note to ARTO approve it right way. So it is done, I finally have a new DL number. I can already see it on mParivahan database. Now I can apply for renewal online. I still have 12 days left on my DL.

You can drive for 30 days after your DL expires. So apply right after getting your new DL number when you have 7 days left, and get acknowledgement. Then it can be shown in lieu of DL.

Don't even think about applying for new DL. That is not legal and you can get into too many issues. These days all government databases are interlinked. You can get caught easily.

BTW, a question for Bangalore guys. Where do you catch a government doctor for signing on the application? I don't recall visiting government doctor in Bangalore ever...

Last edited by Samurai : 8th March 2019 at 15:23.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 19:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, a question for Bangalore guys. Where do you catch a government doctor for signing on the application? I don't recall visiting government doctor in Bangalore ever...
When i renewed my license at KR Puram RTO last year, there's small clinic just opposite to RTO building. He just checked my BP and signed my application and charged Rs 100. I think he has clinic there only for RTO purpose.
Not sure about Jayanagar RTO. May be you can check with a nearby shop selling RTO forms and files. I got the information from one of these nearby shops at KR Puram.

Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 19:55   #37
BHPian

In a sudden turn of good news, NOC from remote RTO need not be procured by the applicant anymore. It will be the task of the RTO where the renewal application is submitted, to get the NOC now.

Link
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 20:26   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Not sure about Jayanagar RTO. May be you can check with a nearby shop selling RTO forms and files. I got the information from one of these nearby shops at KR Puram.
According to my present address, it will be Kasturi Nagar RTO (formerly Indiranagar RTO). Need to find that RTO specific doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
In a sudden turn of good news, NOC from remote RTO need not be procured by the applicant anymore. It will be the task of the RTO where the renewal application is submitted, to get the NOC now.
Finally some sanity. I was wondering why they need NOC even between the same state when their central database has all the data.
Old 8th March 2019, 20:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to my present address, it will be Kasturi Nagar RTO (formerly Indiranagar RTO). Need to find that RTO specific doctor.
When I had to get my Drivers License renewed, I approached an agent in Jayanagar RTO, who had a "connection" with a doctor in Jayanagar general hospital. So the doctor simply looked me up and down and signed/stamped the form.

I would recommend you do the same.
Old 11th March 2019, 20:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I got the medical done at 'Sanjay Gandhi' hospital which is nearby to Jayanagar RTO. The outpatient doctor, just looked at me once and ticked all the boxes. I paid her INR 100/-. You can get this done at any government hospital and AFAIK there is NO RTO specific doctor.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 18:38   #41
BHPian

Driving licence renewal only via online portal now.

Quote:
From now on, one need not have to run from pillar to post at Regional Transport Authority (RTA) offices to obtain a no objection certificate (NOC) for renewal of driving licence or effecting a change in the name or address in it.

Recently, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways Deputy Secretary, Ramandeep Chowdhary has sent a directive to principal secretaries and transport commissioners of all States to discontinue the old process of verification in manual mode and follow the online verification of the driving licences for facilitation of the citizens. The move comes in the wake of citizens facing inconvenience to travel to their native places for procuring the NOC and sometimes seek the help of agents to procure it.

The new rule has already come into effect promising to provide relief from the conventional processes involved in the renewal of licence.

It was brought to the notice of the Ministry that many States were still sticking to the practice of obtaining NOC from the parent authority for renewals and change of address of the driving licence which not only caused disparity in the implementation process but has a potential of undue harassment to the applicant.

In case, when a user moves from one place or State which does not issue NOC to another place or State that requires an NOC, the applications are rejected due to the lack of such documents, according to a directive issued to Transport department officials.

With current version of Sarathi, wherein all driving licences are issued following a IT based application system and the details are verifiable from the database in an online mode, there was no need for seeking an NOC for verification of such details as per the provisions of the aforesaid Act or Rules.

Sarathi database contains the information of the driving licences issued by the States and accordingly, it was advised that whenever an application for renewal or transfer is received, authority concerned can check the particulars online available in the database.
Source

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 16:08   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
So the doctor simply looked me up and down and signed/stamped the form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The outpatient doctor, just looked at me once and ticked all the boxes.
Well, for the first time in my DL history, I got a really thorough eye check. Since I was in Udupi since one week, I figured I would finish the doctor certificate thing ASAP. Besides, a colleague pointed out that the District government hospital is close to my house.

So I visited the hospital on saturday. The helpdesk told me to directly go to the Ophthalmology department. After a 10 minutes wait, a doctor did the glaucoma check on me. Then she asked for my OPD registration slip. I didn't have one. So she asked me get the OPD slip after paying the ₹10 fee. The line for OPD slip was long and unmoving. After waiting for 15 minutes, I scooted home.

However, I have a fellow in my office whose primary job is to deal with government departments and he was familiar with the ways of this hospital. So he offered to pick up the OPD slip in the morning today. He too gave up looking at the long queue, but finally managed to pick it up when they opened the second counter. Then he called me, I showed up at the hospital. We could walk into the Ophthalmology department and doctor from saturday told me she has already checked my glaucoma and found it normal. So I just handed over my OPD slip, and she wrote the results. Then I went to another doctor and he checked my reading ability with different lenses and also checked me for color blindness. Once I passed all the tests with my current prescription glasses, he sent me to the main doctor for signing the RTO form.

Main doctor signed the form, then we paid ₹100 at the counter, and then went to another floor for getting the hospital seal. Basically, I got the full fledged eye test because I went a proper district hospital, and not to a doctor near the RTO.

I uploaded the JPG of my current license, doctor's certificate, photo and signature, and made the payment. Resizing the photo/signature to a size below 20K was a real pain. Finally found this site, where I could reduce it below 20K without losing much quality.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 18:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
..... I approached the RTO for renewal 40 days before expiry, so I had submit a copy and was asked to wait 5 weeks, just 1 week prior to expiry. Since I am going out of town this weekend for 15 days, I couldn't wait. So after 4 weeks of wait, today I visited the Jayanagar RTO again hoping for the best. It was stuck in backlog. But the kind superintendent lady in-charge gave a note to ARTO approve it right way. So it is done, I finally have a new DL number. I can already see it on mParivahan database. Now I can apply for renewal online. I still have 12 days left on my DL.

You can drive for 30 days after your DL expires. So apply right after getting your new DL number when you have 7 days left, and get acknowledgement. Then it can be shown in lieu of DL.

Exactly my situation, ... and somehow I managed to miss your post for a couple of weeks! I also didn't know I could drive legally for 30 days post expiry of the DL ! So I took to my bike, and have been taking all the smaller lanes in order to avoid the cops! ..... Please don't chide me, -- you yourself have pointed out that I'd been driving legally anyway, although I didn't know it! Thanks, Samurai.

But wait! My troubles are not over yet .... !

Friends,

As I'd posted before, I'm in the process of renewing my DL (now expired). The manual "Backlog" process is supposed to be done by the 25th of March, -- the actual application for renewal can happen only after that!

Now I've realized that I'm likely to face a major issue regarding my address proof. The address on my expired DL has changed. My new flat I'm moving to will hopefully be registered in the next few weeks. Till then I have no local address proof anymore! I've proof of only my permanent address (which is in another district, still in WB), and that has proved sufficient for KYC purposes everywhere, -- so I didn't have to worry about my address proof so far !

My question to experts here is, does the MV act require one to have a verifiable address within the jurisdiction of the RTO renewing the DL, or an address anywhere else in the same state is sufficient? if not, then I'm in trouble, and can't even apply for renewal of my DL until my new flat is registered and I have a local address! Even then, that flat happens to be located in a district adjacent to the one recorded in my expired license (a matter of a few kms)! I don't know if that itself would cause further issues!

So what's the way out of this conundrum, guys? I'd very much appreciate any advice from you in this regard. Thanks.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th March 2019 at 12:01. Reason: B2B
Old 27th March 2019, 10:50   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now I've realized that I'm likely to face a major issue regarding my address proof. The address on my expired DL has changed.
The funny thing is, they didn't ask for address proof during the renewal process. May be you can get away with specifying your new address.

The only documents required as Medical certificate form 1A, and the old DL. You need to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope, which can have any address.

I finished the final part of submitting the application this week. This is the first time I have done everything without using any agents. The biometric part was silly, they only take photo and signature. How is that biometric? What is worse is that they replaced the nice studio shot passport photo and clean signature I had uploaded, with the bad photo and hurried signature I gave at the RTO. I saw it when I checked the application status online today morning.

Why do they want us to upload all that, if they are going to replace it anyway?

BTW, any idea how long do they take to mail the DL after the document submission?

Last edited by Samurai : 27th March 2019 at 10:52.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 11:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
2. Check if your DL record is available. For me the record was not available online. I had to go to the originating RTO (Alandur), apply for NOC and provide a residence address proof to have the record enabled. Mine got enabled in 2 days time.
This will be the story for most people I guess. I still have couple of years before I have to renew my DL and hoping the digital India transformation by then will simplify the process.

Here is my scenario - I got my two wheeler DL done in a different city(RTO1 ) and then LMV done in Bangalore Indira Nagar(RTO2). Now i fall under KR puram (RTO3). Luckily all in same state.

Does this mean i need to visit and get NOC from both those places before submitting renewal form in RTO3 ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks