Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2007, 14:02   #1
BHPian

License Renewal

Hi

I want you guys to help on this. I am in Bangalore, my driving license is from Delhi. Now my license is in a real bad shape as everything has faded on it. It's just like a plastic card, where one can try and make out my photograph. That's it. No number no. validity etc etc. I want to renew it but I cant afford to go back to Delhi for this. I have a black and white photocopy of my license (not sure... I think I have).
Please advise me on this how to go about it. Is there a way I can get it renew it in Bangalore, or through the internet?

Thanks.

Karan

Last edited by Aditya : 21st December 2020 at 23:37. Reason: Typos, SMS language, spacing, punctuation
Old 31st May 2007, 14:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Go to the RTO. you will need to surrender your current license and they will issue you a new one. Its a relatively painless procedure, and you don't need tout support either.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:48   #3
BHPian

Hey, I too have a similar issue. Got a 20 year old license issued in Kerala (with my teenage photo) which is expiring in a few months. Dont want to go there for renewal. Do I need to go through the process of taking a new DL in Bengaluru or is there an option to swap this one for a KA license.

I checked in the RTO website and could not get any useful information.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:09   #4
BHPian

I am also having similar issue.
Can somone let me know what is renewal procedure for license.
I own a license of Himachal pradesh Shimla. its gogin to expire within month.
Now i am staying in pune and want to renew it here.
What is procedure and legal fees etc
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, either get it renewed from the place you got it issued or else apply for the new one in your current city. You will need to go through first Leaners and then permanent route.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Pragya, for renewal of an out of state license, I guess the agents charge somewhere between 1000 to 1500 bucks.
If getting a new license all together is less hassle free, do explore that option also.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:23   #7
BHPian

Getting a second driving license in the same country is illegal. It has the same effect as holding 2 passports of the same country. Hence I suggest all of you not to take this route and renewal is the better option, be it the state of origin or any different RTO. Touts suggest things merely to make money, its always better to visit the nearest RTO and find out the procedure from the respective officer.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider77 View Post
hi

I want u guys to help on this, Iam in bangalore, i driving license is from delhi, now my license is in a real bad shape as every tthig got faded on it,its just like a plastic card where one can try n make out my photograph..thats it no number no. validity etc etc. I want to renew it but i cant afford to go back to delhi fr this,i have a black n white photocopy of my license(not sure... i think i have),
plz advise me on this how to go bout it , is there a way i can get it renew it in bangalore,or through the internet

thanks
Karan
Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Hey, I too have a similar issue. Got a 20 year old license issued in Kerala (with my teenage photo) which is expiring in a few months. Dont want to go there for renewal. Do I need to go through the process of taking a new DL in Bengaluru or is there an option to swap this one for a KA license.

I checked in the RTO website and could not get any useful information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragya View Post
I am also having similar issue.
Can somone let me know what is renewal procedure for license.
I own a license of Himachal pradesh Shimla. its gogin to expire within month.
Now i am staying in pune and want to renew it here.
What is procedure and legal fees etc
Real Easy.
Go to any of the Jayanagar or Koramangala RTOs.
Fill the form for license renewal and submit your original out of state(and out of shape) license to the RTO incharge.He will send it across to your state for validation purposes and if no issues from there then he will issue you a brand new pan card like license.

total cost: Rs. 500 /-

Only risk is that your original out of state license might get lost before making it to your parent state.Happened to my friend once and the RTO guy tried to wash his hands off the entire episode.

But 2 of my other friends have done the same with no issues.
Its cheap and straightforward too.
Alter_Ego is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:34   #9
BHPian

If the procedure you described is valid in Bangalore RTOs, looks like the practice varies by state! I needed to renew my expired KA license in WB. I had to bring an NOC from the Bangalore RTO, and submit that in WB, along with the filled-in prescribed form, photo, address proof etc. and a fee of Rs. 220/-. I was issued a 60-day permit to drive while they verify the genuineness of my license with the Bangalore RTO. The license was not ready when I checked last, after 6 weeks. I'm going again this week to check, before my temporary driving permit expires.

Last edited by meerkat : 3rd May 2010 at 21:36.
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
If the procedure you described is valid in Bangalore RTOs, looks like the practice varies by state! I needed to renew my expired KA license in WB. I had to bring an NOC from the Bangalore RTO, and submit that in WB, along with the filled-in prescribed form, photo, address proof etc. and a fee of Rs. 220/-. I was issued a 60-day permit to drive while they verify the genuineness of my license with the Bangalore RTO. The license was not ready when I checked last, after 6 weeks. I'm going again this week to check, before my temporary driving permit expires.
Yes licensing is a state subject and therefore you can see that every licence has the name of state government on it and not the country title like a pan card
Old 5th May 2010, 13:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently got my " book type" license changed to "card type". I went through the normal procedure of paying the regulated fees and surrendered my book license.

However, it never was delivered in the stipulated one week time.

I made a visit to Khairtabad RTO, Hyderabad and had to spend nearly 3 hours running from one building to another to get it.

It was very much with them and they didnt post it and they vehmently argued with me that i should check with my local PO.I have strong suspicion they pocket the PO expenses and dont send the license as i witnessed many folks like me who came there to check on undelivered renewed license.

It was a bit of harrowing experience but, what is 3 hours for a new card type license
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 16:02   #12

Renewal of driving license in Mumbai

Hi friends,

I am in a dilemma.

I gave my license for renewal to WIAA last month, one month before my license expired, and was given a receipt for the same. I was told that I could continue to drive on the basis of the receipt. My license number and its date of expiry was mentioned on the receipt.

It is now over a month and I have still not got my renewed license. WIAA tells me that they have forwarded the papers to RTO and they are awaiting approval; the delay is due to the change from the booklet to smart card license and RTO takes time to access the old records.

My license has now expired. Having applied for renewal before the expiry date, am I still considered as "holding a valid license" legally ? Should I continue to drive on the basis of the receipt or not ? Also what are implications from the insurance point of view ?

The clerk at WIAA says that I can continue to drive but somehow he didn't sound too convincing to me.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Old 18th October 2013, 17:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyzee View Post
Hi friends, I am in a dilemma. I gave my license for renewal to WIAA last month, one month before my license expired, and was given a receipt for the same. I was told that I could continue to drive on the basis of the receipt. My license number and its date of expiry was mentioned on the receipt. It is now over a month and I have still not got my renewed license. WIAA tells me that they have forwarded the papers to RTO and they are awaiting approval; the delay is due to the change from the booklet to smart card license and RTO takes time to access the old records. My license has now expired. Having applied for renewal before the expiry date, am I still considered as "holding a valid license" legally ? Should I continue to drive on the basis of the receipt or not ? Also what are implications from the insurance point of view ? The clerk at WIAA says that I can continue to drive but somehow he didn't sound too convincing to me. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
First, there is a one month grace period. In Bangalore, to control backlog, you could only submit an application on the date of expiry, as a result, i could not technically drive in the US where I was at that time. Luckily, I he a UK licence so that helped. I submitted the licence one week after it expired and the AASI issued a receipt similar to yours. I had to wait till august till it came back. It meant that I could not drive outside Bangalore to avoid the hassle factor.
Old 11th May 2015, 17:52   #14
BHPian

Re: License Renewal

Friends,

Need your help!! I just noticed that my license expired around 5 days back. Tomorrow I plan to go to Goa on a road trip and I cannot cancel. I am in a soup because I know I cannot drive with this license legally. What are my options? Will the traffic police give me some grace period? Should I go to the traffic police and get some document stating the same?
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 12:07   #15

Re: License Renewal

My license is going to expire in 5th August this year. It's​ with the Murshidabad (RTO), West Bengal. That time my permanent address was in Murshidabad. Now for last 3 years, I'm settled in Kolkata and got my EPIC changed to Kolkata address recently too. Now, I want to get the renewed license in Kolkata address. Can any BHPian guide me the procedures I have to undergo.

Most Viewed