Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2004, 20:09   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,
After Bentley and Maybach launched their super luxury cars in India, i've been wondering abt any company launching a super sportscar[supercar] in India. Agreed that there isnt a market in India for supercars. But there isnt a market for super luxury cars either. Its just initial demand. Bentley and Maybach know that they arent gonna sell more than 10 cars each. Still they took the risk of launching these cars. Launching the Maybach is not more riskier for DC than Bentley launchin the Arnage. DC has a good service network in India. And Bentley has none.

There are also equal amount of supercar buyers in India. The South Indian guy who owns a supercar from each continent. There are the horse breeders in Pune who also own a hell lot of cars. Another 2-3 crores is not gonna make a dent in their vault. Then there are lotsa guys in mumbai who wud wanna own a supercar[me included] but just dont wanna go thru the custom formalities.

Ferrari can easily sell around 10 cars per year in India. They can be sold from the same dealer network as the Bentley/Maybach. Theres Exclusive Motors and Auto Hangar which are well equipped to service these cars. Supercars are gettin more and more popular in India. There have been reports of the Enzo. There are pics of the 575M. Who knows>> There cud be a 612 in ur backyard

So will Ferrari [or for that matter any supercar] ever be sold in India?? Will we ever see a Ferrari dealership in India in the next 10 years??

I dont think so. What do u guys have to say abt this??
Old 16th April 2004, 20:51   #2
BHPian

If Bentley, Maybach and Porsche are willing to set up a dealership in India, I guess Ferrari will also jump into the fray. Those Italians will not give up a chance to sell their cars, however small the market maybe. 10 years is a very long time and if the economy improves, taxes are reduced and ppl are willing to splurge, Ferrari should not have a problem selling a few cars every year. It will probably be able to push off cars like the 360 from its showroom easily. Lets hope for the best.
Old 16th April 2004, 20:55   #3
BHPian

Check out the site below and see what its owner has to say abt supercars.

http://www.iol.ie/~donohoer/Exotic_car_page.htm
Old 16th April 2004, 21:03   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I agree V12. With the extremely limited size of the 1 crore plus market, the infrastructure expectations and investment levels are also extremely low. Think about it, how much has Bentley really invested in India? Peanuts I say...to be a part of the second fastest growing Asian economy.

Ferrari would have to do not much more than a couple of advertising and other marketing stints to start off in India. And yes, theres always exclusive motors.

GTO
Old 16th April 2004, 21:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

India IMO, is still not ready for such cars. Maybachs and Bentleys are fine, but when you speak in terms of Super Sports cars, there's always that question of "where in the world are you gonna drive them".

If people are to buy Ferraris' and Lambos' to toddle around town, then it's a real shame.

These cars don't deserve to be driven between autos and taxis.

I don't even wan't to see these cars being sold here unless we have world class roads. It's simple as that!!!

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 16th April 2004, 23:02   #6
BHPian

In 10 years time, if things go to plan, we should be having good roads. Like i said, hope for the best.
No one in their right mind would totter around town in a Ferrari or a Lambo. They would surely have a Merc or a bmw to take care of the town business.
Exotic cars are for that sunday morning when u wake up and feel like lettng loose all those horses on the expressways. Also maybe for those saturday nites when bhp-ians meet up, going up and down Worli sea face with a silly grin on ur face, and getting those envious glances. Paisa vasool man!
Old 17th April 2004, 01:08   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]where in the world are you gonna drive them
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]No one in their right mind would totter around town in a Ferrari or a Lambo.
Shantanu and n4s U shud see Bhushan in his 355/360 . *He makes a race track of Bombay roads and gallis.
Old 17th April 2004, 01:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

10 years?? I don't think Ferrari will be here even after 50 years.
Even if they are here and sell 10 cars in a year, all 10 owners will bring the car back to the service center compalining to low mileage!
Old 17th April 2004, 01:39   #9
BHPian

Anyone who buys a ferrari would be least bothered of mileage! But he would surely go back to service centre to get his suspension fixed and sides painted.
And we sure need more guys like Bhushan to paint our town red in their ferraris.
Old 17th April 2004, 02:55   #10
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (amit @ April 16 2004,23:52)]10 years?? I don't think Ferrari will be here even after 50 years.
Even if they are here and sell 10 cars in a year, all 10 owners will bring the car back to the service center compalining to low mileage!
hahahaha....very well said..
anyway we need really really good roads b4 the ferrari's & their likes start coming into india...i sometimes really wonder that these low cars might actually dangle on our mighty speedbreakers

M3
Old 14th July 2010, 15:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari is looking to open its first dealership in India in the next 6 to 8 months!

Quote:
BSMotoringreports that Ferrari is looking to open its first dealership in India in the next six to eight months and is likely to appoint Tata Motors or a sub-division of it as its sole Indian distributor and dealer. With Tata-Fiat joint venture in full swing in India and Fiat being the parent company of Ferrari, the move appears to be practical and convenient.

Speaking to BBC News, Ferrari Chairman Luca Di Montezemolo said that he is looking at opening a dealership here in India this year itself, although that might be a little premature. Ferrari is planning to open two dealerships in two of the largest metros in India, New Delhi and Mumbai with the latter most likely to be the first one.
Are they really coming or the same old story. They should set few showrooms in India before F1 hits NCR. It will be an ultimate PR

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 14th July 2010, 19:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

I thought ferrari already had a showroom in mumbai through an exclusive dealership(forgot the name) along with Maserati.Infact there was a thread dedicated for the launch of the showroom a few years back.
Old 14th July 2010, 20:05   #13
BHPian

Zombie!!!

Avishar, you just brought back to life a 6yr old thread!
Old 15th July 2010, 09:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I thought ferrari already had a showroom in mumbai through an exclusive dealership(forgot the name) along with Maserati.Infact there was a thread dedicated for the launch of the showroom a few years back.

Well thats applicable in more than 1 case. Not only 1, maybe 2 or 3 "exclusive" dealers are in a position to provide Ferrari etc , most notable 1 being in Worli where the Audi Showroom once stood.
That apart, ferrari are now looking to start their own showroom here. Infact had also heard they were looking for spaces on Bhulabhai Desai road, Breach Candy, Mumbai. Most likely that might be a rumour though
Old 15th July 2010, 13:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

That was National Garage (GM Showroom) and they were not Exclusive Dealers for Ferrari and Maserati but importers for the Marque in Bombay.

@ Platzda Turbo what i heard is, they would open one showroom under their management in Bombay and one in Delhi. There would not be another as they want to have total control and secondly the unit sales would not need to have many outlets per city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks