Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2022, 19:01   #91
BHPian

re: Scoop! Skoda Kodiaq Facelift prices leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 34.99 lakh

Not trying to nitpick here, it's no doubt a capable vehicle. But in my personal opinion, the snout is too short ahead of the A pillar. They have packed enough space, enough for a few bags with an active third row, but the "mastiff" snout or the short bonnet makes it score an 8/10 on the "butch" looks front. I was sincerely hoping they would make it more "proportionate" . Just look at the side profile....almost a butch SUV but not quite??? And 36.5L is a bit too much IMHO. But then they needed to position this as the new flagship!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 8th January 2022 at 19:02.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 19:26   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Skoda Kodiaq Facelift prices leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 34.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by romil.shroff View Post
GLE 300d doesn't get air-suspension. In fact, it also doesn't get memory function for the driver seat, ventilated front seats, 360 degree camera and a high-end music system. All these, and some more, are available in the Kodiaq facelift!
All true! I forgot only the GLE 400d and above get AirMatic suspension. But you can’t argue with the fact that a 300d will make you feel special every single drive you go in it, and one could regret settling for 2-3 additional features in the Skoda, but seriously what are we even comparing? Have moolah? Mercedes always, any which way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Think of the Skoda Kodiaq as a cheaper Audi Q7 and see the value proposition it provides !!
Kodiaq cannot even come near a Q7. Just because of the size, no way man. Nothing in the Kodiaq would be even similar to the Audi. Neither the powertrain, the robustness, interior quality and NVH, Q7 and up are just like bloody road-trains! I mean just see the difference between an A4 and a Superb. Sure, Superb looks VFM as it is cheaper than even the base variant of an A4, but the A4 feels special. The hushed cabin, materials, design, tech, far ahead of the Superb. An Audi would not feel outdated even after 5-6 years of ownership, where as a Skoda definitely will. Skoda is growing, maturing, it’ll get there, eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
If you could negotiate extended warranty into the price, go for the GLE -

1. Powerful Diesel
2. Best in industry centre console and digital cockpit
3. Connected features
4. Awesome road presence
5. It’s a Mercedes!!!
Cent per cent agreed! Although I don’t care much about connected tech. Your point 5 takes the cake!

All said, I was at Skoda workshop today to pick up my car. The new Kodiaq just rolled in from the trailer, L&K in white. Obviously I had to check it out. The car looks good, inside and out. But not the best. I prefer the design of the Tiguan’s dash, but with the materials Skoda uses
Features list obviously kicks everything else in the segment out of contention. Found the new virtual cockpit and touch screen very nice to use. Drove it around the complex of the workshop in “Comfort” mode, didn’t notice much obviously at slow speeds. But I felt the engine refinement was at par with my 1.8! Having said that, I had test driven a Passat few years back with DCC, man it was something else! It was so good on bad roads, if that is something to lead by, I believe the Kodiaq is going to be a sure shot steam roller on our roads. The SA told me there won’t be a Style variant at launch. To which I told him that my sources are way better than his! He did confirm that the L&K is 39.49 lakhs ex-showroom. I don’t see how they would price the Sportline cheaper than this? It should cost the same, and should have the exact same features list.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 20:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabujsen View Post
The Kodiaq is a lovely SUV. I just hate the fact that Skoda is not giving Driver Assistance (ADAS) in the India spec car.
Also saw a review by Carwow in which they say DCC is over rated and not worth the extra bucks.
I also think DCC will be available only on the L&K trim.
Do our road conditions really need ADAS features?
@PetrolheadASH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 21:01   #94
BHPian

Once the pricing is announced, I just hope this thread does not suddenly go silent the way Tiguan thread did . If L&K Variant is almost 40 Ex Showroom, this will touch 50 OTR Bangalore. Post that we just need to wait for discount phase!
Old 8th January 2022, 21:34   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Once the pricing is announced, I just hope this thread does not suddenly go silent the way Tiguan thread did . If L&K Variant is almost 40 Ex Showroom, this will touch 50 OTR Bangalore. Post that we just need to wait for discount phase!
I think many people had a lot of expectations from VW, which were dashed when the Tiguan came out with less than lustrous features. I was one of them. Heard that the Kodiaq L&K variant would be a shade under 40 Ex. Showroom Delhi. I've already booked and reconciled to that extra 5 lakh dent. The Kodiaq still offers VFM when compared to its counterparts - the star, the propeller and the rings! An "introductory" dropped price may just be the clincher to get those numbers from people who just can't wait no more. One sad part- no silver colour.
@PetrolheadASH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 22:47   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
Does the audio system has a subwoofer? I am thinking to replace my Ford Endeavor with this version but will decide after a test drive only.

BTW, will there be any tax changes in the budget for automobile sector? Should I wait till April to buy?

Any predictions.
I checked with my tax chap. He told me if one buys before March then one can claim some amount of the permissible depreciation for this FY also. Then for next FY can claim the full permissible amount. But the way things are one can never tell with this government.
Old 8th January 2022, 23:09   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
The car has run 41000 odd kms and is still under warranty.

I am really tempted but confused also.

Used GLE VS NEW KODIAQ..
As premium as a Kodiaq is compared to other products in that price range, the GLE will feel several notches plusher in every respect, interiors, drive - everything.

Both are spacious 5 seaters and in my view, neither is a 3 row car. My only slight hesitation is the 41,000 clicks. You need to be mindful that this will mean some incremental expenses on usual wear and tear parts. Secondly, the Mercedes will have a much shorter tenure of residual warranty even accounting for extended warranty package - although personally, I’d trust a Mercedes with a 4 year residual warranty more than a Skoda with a 6 year warranty. Finally, unlike a Jeep or Fortuner, I would “rough use” a Skoda only as much as I would “rough use” a Mercedes. No more than that. So there is no specific advantage of picking the Skoda even from that standpoint.

The only other consideration is whether you were buying this outright or on loan. Current loan rates even with premium lenders like HDFC are hovering around 7.3%. A used car rate may well take that into double digits. Please do consider whether that is something that matters (if it is being tax expensed out then you may be less sensitive).

Used well, the Mercedes will easily offer ownership of 10 years and 100,000 clicks so I wouldn’t be outright put off by the 41k clicks although that’s the only minor negative IMO. If the cost differential doesn’t matter, my pick would hands down be the Mercedes.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 02:10   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
As premium as a Kodiaq is compared to other products in that price range, the GLE will feel several notches plusher in every respect, interiors, drive - everything.

Both are spacious 5 seaters and in my view, neither is a 3 row car. My only slight hesitation is the 41,000 clicks. You need to be mindful that this will mean some incremental expenses on usual wear and tear parts. Secondly, the Mercedes will have a much shorter tenure of residual warranty even accounting for extended warranty package - although personally, I’d trust a Mercedes with a 4 year residual warranty more than a Skoda with a 6 year warranty. Finally, unlike a Jeep or Fortuner, I would “rough use” a Skoda only as much as I would “rough use” a Mercedes. No more than that. So there is no specific advantage of picking the Skoda even from that standpoint.

The only other consideration is whether you were buying this outright or on loan. Current loan rates even with premium lenders like HDFC are hovering around 7.3%. A used car rate may well take that into double digits. Please do consider whether that is something that matters (if it is being tax expensed out then you may be less sensitive).

Used well, the Mercedes will easily offer ownership of 10 years and 100,000 clicks so I wouldn’t be outright put off by the 41k clicks although that’s the only minor negative IMO. If the cost differential doesn’t matter, my pick would hands down be the Mercedes.

Very well written buddy. I have exactly the same thoughts.

GLE warranty for additional 3 yrs is 9 lacs !!

Plus add 2-3 lacs for the service packages.

That takes my total spend to almost 72-75 lacs.

Really not worth it IMO.

Better buy a new kodiaq with 6 yrs warranty and have peace of mind.
drjaygoyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 07:57   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
Very well written buddy. I have exactly the same thoughts.

GLE warranty for additional 3 yrs is 9 lacs !!

Plus add 2-3 lacs for the service packages.

That takes my total spend to almost 72-75 lacs.

Really not worth it IMO.

Better buy a new kodiaq with 6 yrs warranty and have peace of mind.
It is not such a bad idea to consider a used luxury car for the money of a new Kodiaq-level car as long as your gut tells you that you are not biting more than you can chew. Your math is too pessimistic - just do some research to find a reliable luxury car models without paying extra for extended warranty or service package (calculated risk). Just avoid cars with potential issues related to engine, transmission, AC or suspension. Other repairs don't cost more than 1-2 lakhs.

For example, BMW 2.0L diesel and 8 speed auto combination is arguably the most reliable drivetrain in the luxury segment in India. Another option would be to buy a recently discontinued model like GLS instead of newer GLE - you will get better VFM and proven/known reliability.

Kodiaq is also a great choice depending what you are upgrading from and how it will be used. My thumb rule is to stretch to the next level if family gets to enjoy the purchase else keep it within budget if it is just for my personal use.
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 13:30   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @PetrolheadASH View Post
Do our road conditions really need ADAS features?
I think ADAS is quite useful especially on highways. Adaptive Cruise Control is a boon. Also if a user wants they can always turn it off.

Manufacturers should not delete features for India spec models. Remember we are anyway paying big bucks, so why not the fully monty.
Old 9th January 2022, 13:35   #101
BHPian

Does Skoda recommend RON 95 petrol for the 2.0 L TSI engine? Will appreciate if anyone has info on this.

I read some Superb owners facing EPC issues. I think it's the same engine as the in the Kodiaq.
Old 9th January 2022, 14:46   #102
BHPian

As an admirer of this particular product from Skoda, I am eagerly waiting for the launch. Its design ( although the previous model looks much better) , practicality, excellent build quality, luxurious and and comfort features makes it a desirable one. Very popular and well received car in the global market as well.
Skoda deserves our appreciation, for always bringing their best products in our market. Either this one or X3,Q5 or Q7, XC60 if one is looking for that luxurious , well built and safe SUV.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 15:02   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabujsen View Post
Does Skoda recommend RON 95 petrol for the 2.0 L TSI engine? Will appreciate if anyone has info on this.

I read some Superb owners facing EPC issues. I think it's the same engine as the in the Kodiaq.
Scanned through the Superb Owners Manual and yes, Skoda does recommend 95 RON/Premium fuel for the 2.0 TSI engine.
Attached Images

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 17:56   #104
BHPian

The digital brochure is out, and it seems L &K, sports line are loaded in terms of features. Basically, apart from massage seats, Radar-based features, you have access to almost every feature you can think of.

The only thing that remains a mystery is the price or introductory price. For the last 2-3 years, we have seen big blunders in launch prices from almost all the manufacturers. Starting from CRV special edition( which never came ), C5, continued till the latest Octavia, except Mahindra ( XUV 700), Honda ( city ), which received a warm welcome from respective segment customers. Later the prices of these models were increased in just a few months still the initial bookings set those models on the path of popularity and success.

Let's hope Skoda learns its lessons from Octavia's launch and puts a realistic launch price for petrol Kodiaq.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ŠKODA KODIAQ Brochure (Digital).pdf (5.49 MB, 303 views)

Last edited by hrishig : 9th January 2022 at 17:58.
hrishig is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 19:04   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
The digital brochure is out, and it seems L &K, sports line are loaded in terms of features. Basically, apart from massage seats, Radar-based features, you have access to almost every feature you can think of.
Based on this brochure , there is now good amount of separation between the models i.e. Style , Sportline and L&K w.r.t colours. wheels, equipment's etc. Both style and Sportline might fall between 36-39 and L&K 45-47.

L&K in Lava blue is the winner in my books.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks