Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:21   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Wonderful news!!! Hope TATA goes in for the kill. Matches the icing - all the creature comforts, gizmos and whatnot provided by the Koreans while TATA already has an awesome cake base (knock out design, solid mechanicals & high safety ratings). Should the Koreans try to up the NCAP game, their costs will shoot up! Its a made market for the TATAs to grab hereon. Of course we customers' will be the ultimate winners!
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:35   #47
BHPian

As an Ex Tiago owner and current creta owner, I'm happy for both the manufacturers.
If you look at Tata's success, it is mainly from the 6-12 lac mid range budget. Nexon with 2 engine/ 2 transmission out sells venue with 3eninge /4 transmission options. Imagine the volume of nexon if it had a proper automatic.
Myself was close to replacing my Tiago with nexon, but amt was the only deal breaker.
Guess Hyundai india will be sweating a little, especially below 12 lac segment.
Hope they bring in new products like Casper and stop increasing prices insanely.
There's no doubt that Tata builds good cars, now they should be concentrating on refining and fine tuning their products.

On the whole, competition between manufacturers should be benefiting the end consumers.

Can any manufacture dethrone Maruti in the below 6lac segment?!!! That day An average middle class buyer will get value for his money.

Last edited by tiagoatrix : 3rd January 2022 at 14:37. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:59   #48
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Great to know this, although I am cognizant of the fact that chip shortage is resulting in this. Never the less, TATA has been making the right moves for some time now. Hope they continue with the same zeal and rigor to meet/beat customer expectation.

I see two key factors in the short term (1-2 years) impacting this number two position (1) The success/improvements in the EV space. Tata is a clear leader in the market today (despite Mahindra having the first mover advantage). With the higher range Nexon coming out shortly, it will only improve this position. (2) It would be interesting to see who finally owns the manufacturing plants of Ford (which is up for grabs) - thereby suddenly increasing manufacturing capability with minor tweaks in the plant.

As I see, TATA will not be able to hold on to the no.2 slot in the coming months, but will gradually reach there and stay there by early 2023. (Hope I am not biased because I own a Zest in addition to holding TML shares!)
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:37   #49
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Nice to see them up there.
Now, quickly give us a Safari AWD AT or just relaunch Sumo or Sierra in modern clothes (BOF+4WD+AT).
Going by the lack of proper touring options, I think a 3.2 Endeavour will be the only economic option in the near future. (let's see how Scorpio fares in August).
Mahindra gave AT 4WD to Thar. Seriously, how hard can it be for such a powerful manufacturer who already has access to LR tech to pair a nice TC to an AWD/4WD drivetrain?
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:40   #50
BHPian

This news made my day. Glad to see the normal junta prioritizing safety over gizmos and being "VOCAL FOR LOCAL". In the last few years, homegrown manufacturers have given their best shot towards worthy product and right positioning. Good to see people rewarding them for their effort.

Hope our customers show the way to other OEMs that they cannot take the Indian Aam Junta for granted in terms of safety. We are no more third world country.
Abhikumar629 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:48   #51
BANNED

Too early to cheer up for the second spot - this is just a one-off incident, I guess.

But Tata has improved so much in recent times. Kudos to the Tata team.

Nano, with its "cheapest car of the world" tag had dented Tata's image too much. And those cheap "smiling" face and tower-type tail lamps!

Once Tata got rid of all those, their lineup now looks smart.

Now time to improve the reliability and service support to become the next Maruti in India.

Good to see manufacturers trying to improve their weak areas - while Tata tries to improve their design, Maruti "tries" to improve their safety.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 3rd January 2022 at 16:52.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:32   #52
BHPian

It is a good achievement to take advantage of a supply problem of a competitor. The push to No. 2 is going to take a lot more time as it requires upgrading every part of the business to be more creative and efficient. We know they have plenty of distance to make up even when compared to Hyundai. Hyundai is not in the top rung of auto manufacturers world-wide. There is a big gap even between JLR and Tata Motors Indian operation.
Old 3rd January 2022, 18:32   #53
BHPian

i'm really happy at the progress that TATA is making. Today when I gave my new safari for servicing I saw this board pasted on their notice. It lists all the powers that be to whom we can escalate our service grievances and it will be addressed promptly right up to the GM Sales for TATA motors in Tamil Nadu. I can vouch for this because I called up the GM- TATA Motors when I had certain issues with the authorized service center and he personally got involved and solved my issues.
It's the little things like this that matter and I'm a very satisfied customer. The fact that TATA could make great cars with a lot of emotional connect was never in doubt. All that was needed as a sincere, positive effort to strengthen their after sales service and boy does it show. 35000 cars means that more people are betting on TATA. Safari was my first >20L investment and am I glad that I invested my money on an Indian company. You go TATA
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:12   #54
BHPian

Congratulations Tata! Very Proud to see our own manufacturer bagging the second spot ( I know Hyundai will bounce back after chip shortage crisis is over ) But with the current offerings, TATA has lot of potential to remain in the second spot/give head-head competition.

Only thing, i definitely recommend to Tata based on my recent experience is to work on the customer service and solve the ongoing issues without dragging them to generations.

Experience:

My uncle was looking for a car within a budget of 12Lakh OTR in Hassan, Karnataka and we shortlisted few cars based on his requirements. My recommendation followed like below,
1. Tata Nexon,
2. Mahindra XUV300
3. KIA Sonet.

Looked for Ford Eco sport as well but there was no stock anywhere.

I was in Hassan sometime in September 3rd week and we decided to take the test drives of the above. We visited the Tata Showroom there and believe me, i was so embarrassed to have the Nexon shortlisted and taking my uncle there. For 15-20mins we were inside the showroom and nobody even bothered to ask what we were looking for, there was no display vehicle as well to see by ourselves. Then a lady approached us and when we enquired about Nexon, she said that the vehicle has been sent out for test drive and will be back in 20mins. When enquired for display vehicle, she took us to to the service center and showed us the vehicle which was not in see condition. My uncle and i were disappointed and thought to come back and check in 30mins. Even lady promised to call us soon after the vehicle comes. We then reached Mahindra & Kia showrooms which was next to Tata. Mahindra's response was better in comparison and Kia as expected pleased us with their customer service. While returning back we saw Nexon test drive vehicle parked at the showroom and went to experience it. Again, we were kept waiting for almost 15-20mins saying someone will arrange for test drive. By that time we got a call from Kia saying that they almost reached our residence with the test drive vehicle. Kia was also not having the test drive vehicle when we were at the showroom but promised to arrange it at our residence in 1hr and they actually did it. My uncle took test drive and was impressed with it. I asked him to check again on Nexon before deciding on Sonet and left Hassan. Test drive from Tata was not arranged even in weeks time as per my uncle's time and convenience and no follow up calls as well from them. Meanwhile, KIA followed up with him every other day and he finally decided to skip Nexon and book Sonet.

By the overall experience, i felt Tata's sales team failed to sell their one of the best selling product to my uncle. Even, i stopped stressing about Nexon after the above incident. I have seen similar in my circle where people are liking the Tata cars and not happy with the sales and service. Very close friend of mine was sold to Tata Harrier and bought Innova at the last by thinking about all these experiences.
RaviGowda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:26   #55
BHPian

A good milestone for TATA. Let them proceed further and reach the next milestone of selling around 50K cars every month. It would be difficult for them to reach the real second position or 50K sales milestone in the current scenario with no new cars coming in around two years other than upgradation of existing products to automatics and EVs.

Another doubt from my side, how much increase in sales did the turbo-charging of Altroz bring to them. I accept that turbo-charged one is way better than the naturally aspirated one but I don't know how much would it alter the sales. I only find one in ten to be a turbo charged one on the road in Kerala. Can anyone find the number of turbo-charged one vs the naturally aspirated one.

Tata should focus more on developing good automatics and launch it with them from the launch itself. Since they had the Tiago in their line-up they should have launched the Altroz with the turbo only and made it a fun to drive premium hatchback with a good automatic option. I think around 40 to 50 percent of sales contribution are from automatics. Hope Tata rectifies this in future and launch a product in a perfect final state, I thought they would have at least done that with the Punch but was disappointed.

Last edited by RR96 : 3rd January 2022 at 20:36.
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
They can relaunch Hexa to counter the alcazar/xl6 etc space.
They can relaunch SUMO to take on the 4x4 space.

Loads of possibilities.
I was thinking the same. Though, it goes against the two platform (Alfa and Omega) strategy they have been talking about.

If they can make the Hexa platform even 4 star crash worthy, Hexa and Sumo should definitely be in their list.

Else, atleast we should see a Sumo and Sierra on Alpha platform.

Maybe, ram87pune can throw some light
Old 3rd January 2022, 23:39   #57
BHPian

I'm a hippocrite.

While I'm immensely happy that Tata has crossed 35k vehicles sold in PV market in a month, I'm still sceptical about the

1. After sales service.
2. Ownership experience.
3. Long time reliability of a Tata car.

That I'm a Tata fanboy would be an understatement, yet when it comes to buying a car - the fuss-free image of Maruti is what makes me crawl back to the brand.

Maybe I'm asking for too much. But if a foreign brand like Suzuki or Honda or Hyundai can do it in India, with Indian staff. TATA can do it 10 times better.

Till then, my hypocrisy will persist.

And congratulations to team tata - I reppeat TEAM tata. It's a coherence of thought.
adityadeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 00:03   #58
srh
BHPian

Tata Motors is doing well currently and seems to be less impacted by the chip shortage. But then, the company has gone astray in the past when it had blockbuster product demand (Indica V2/ Sumo/ Nano) and did not refresh/ improve continuously. Even now, it seems to be ignoring the powertrain needs in the budget segments. Unless it comes out with better engines (NVH & FE), TC&DCT gearboxes and frequent model refreshes, this success won't be sustainable.

And it would be better placed if it develops a BOF platform for MUVs/SUVs. It is maybe the last mass market segment where volume growth can be substantial and competition isn't much (only M&M)
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 02:33   #59

I keep reading posts about what a car company ought to do and what impact it will bring to them etc etc. The fact of the matter is launching a new car is not a matter of joke. There are so many things involved. The way I see it is Tata has found traction in the EV space. If in the next 3 years tata feels EV will be 30% of their total sales, they will not bother too much about developing new engines and power trains. So expecting new models, New engines and New models is too much of an ask. At a time where car makers are not able to deliver cars, this is not the time for new launches or too many changes. They should focus on delivering orders on hand and improve their sales and service quality. There showrooms too need upgradation. Those are the things they need to focus on more than anything else. What's nice to see is that 7% of their sales are coming from EV. Its becoming mainstream, EVs are at a tipping point as i see it. I would not be surprised if tata targets 15k EVs a month in 2025.
Also Tatas should serve as a case study for the likes of Ford, GM and Fiat. What a turnaround.
AnandSancheti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 09:29   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
Maybe I'm asking for too much. But if a foreign brand like Suzuki or Honda or Hyundai can do it in India, with Indian staff. TATA can do it 10 times better.
Same purchase decision. While buying the Swift I was certainly aware of the pathetic build quality. Yet the horror stories about service support from friends who owned Tata vehicles and the awesome service experience previously with Maruti made me go for them again.

And same line of thought - surely making the better/safer car is the hard part, why not get the service and customer support act in place - not easy I'm sure but certainly doable by Tata. Great going by them, I hope they challenge Maruti as well soon and force every manufacturer to up the safety aspect.

Last edited by am1m : 4th January 2022 at 09:32.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks