Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2022, 16:10   #1
BHPian

Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Tata Motors sold a whopping 35,299 units of cars in India last month! The CY sales hits highest ever since the inception of PV unit at 3.3 Lakhs unit for 2021. The EV sales records 2,255 units which is much higher than the over all monthly sales of few other manufacturers.

Quote:
Mr. Shailesh Chandra, President, Passenger Vehicles Business Unit, Tata Motors Ltd. said, “Tata Motors PV business growth journey continued and set several new milestones during the quarter despite witnessing a shortfall in production due to the ongoing semi-conductor crisis. Decade high quarterly and monthly sales- 99,002 units in Q3 FY22 (growth of 44% vs Q3 FY21) and 35,299 units in Dec’21 (growth of 50% vs Dec’20) were recorded. In addition, the company also posted calendar year sale of 3,31,178 units (CY21), highest ever since the inception of the PV Business. The overwhelming market response to Tata Punch launched in Oct’21 is further boosting demand for the company’s “New Forever” range of cars and SUVs. Records were also created on the EV front as EV sales witnessed a new peak of 5,592 units in Q3 FY22 (growth of 345% vs Q3 FY21). Consequently, EV penetration touched 5.6% of PV Sales during the quarter versus 1.8% in the same period last financial year. EV sales also touched 10,000 units in 9MFY22 and crossed 2,000 monthly sales landmark for the first time in Dec’21 (2,255 units). The ever-increasing demand for Nexon EV and Tigor EV as well as progressive revival of the EV fleet segment were instrumental in driving this steep growth. Going forward, semi-conductor supplies will remain the key source of uncertainty. Additionally, the impact of the new strain of Covid needs to be closely tracked. We will continue to work on business agility plan and take proactive actions to mitigate these risks.”
TML

Beats Hyundai India to become the second highest in sales for DEC 2021 too !
Quote:
Domestic dispatches dropped 31.8 per cent to 32,312 units as against 47,400 units in the same month last year.
Read more at: ET

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 1st January 2022 at 16:18.
TorqueIndia is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 16:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Tata Motors sold a whopping 35,299 units of cars in India last month! The CY sales hits highest ever since the inception of PV unit at 3.3 Lakhs unit for 2021. The EV sales records 2,255 units which is much higher than the over all monthly sales of few other manufacturers.

TML
Hyundai sold 32,312 units, that makes Tata the #2 car manufacturer in the country for probably the first time in history.
f1fan5 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 16:59   #3
BHPian

Tata is now the #2 car manufacturer in the country! This month numbers for Hyundai is probably a one off and technically Hyundai + Kia put together make a LOT more cars than Tata. But even then, Tata have executed on their strategy really well and did everything right to take that #2 spot when the other manufacturers faltered. Really encouraging news. With the launch of CNG versions of Tigor and Tiago, this can only get better.

Also their EV sales numbers are lit! Can't wait to see what they can do once they launch the Altroz & Punch EVs and upgrade the current gen Nexon EV.
smoes is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 17:36   #4
BHPian

Tata Motors dispatches beats Hyundai in December 2021

A significant milestone achieved by Tata motors, dispatches 35,229 units, beat Hyundai (~33,000) to take second rank.

This is the first time in new normal and I hope it's not for just this month. Sure, they might be trading places for a while, but boy-o-boy, significant milestone for Tata! What a way to celebrate the New Year on Monday at their offices! Am sure, there will be cakes and stuff..

Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India-tml.jpg

Image credit: To respective owners (Googled).

Rushlane: https://www.rushlane.com/tata-car-sa...-12421829.html

Economic times:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/88634678.cms

Last edited by saikarthik : 1st January 2022 at 17:51.
saikarthik is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 18:23   #5
BHPian

re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Woah that is a significant achievement for Tata from where they were 4 years ago.

This should give hope for the struggling manufacturers that all is not lost
indian21r is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 18:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

This is a very encouraging development. I might be critical of some of Tata's products at times but I think this is really a very proud moment, more as an indian citizen than anything else. A manufacturer who was once the butt of many jokes, one whose compact cars tanked one after the other and one who I'm sure many never dreamed would ever become such a major player in the PV segment, has done it, and quite well! I really think they're making strides in many departments - styling, interiors, PR and importantly, passive safety.

I hope Tata maintains its safety lead in the future with fitment of side airbags and ESC ahead of regulation and hopefully goes even beyond 5-star NCAP requirements at a given time. I'd really like to see them pull off more of a Volvo than a Renault here (the latter usually engineered their cars to score high on consumer safety tests for marketing purposes but not much beyond, and when the tests became more demanding it was a disaster).

I think we're going to see the next generation of compact cars from competitors score much better on independent safety tests (I wouldn't even be surprised if some of their recent launches perform well). That's the power of competition, and I'm going to thank Tata for it, at least in the compact segment. I'm sure competitors now learned the marketing value of being able to advertise a five-star NCAP rating. When there are better performing alternatives available there's only so long a model can survive in the market with the 'tin can' pejorative attached to its name, though it's a misleading phrase.

I'm looking forward to the model-wise breakup.

Last edited by ron178 : 1st January 2022 at 18:37.
ron178 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 20:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tata should take the cue, albeit supported/ prepped by calendar year stoc clearance, semiconductor shortage & on-spot planning by sales team, & take up Ford's TN plant which can make them comeback in BOF vehicles.. I think Sierra & Sumo nameplates can be revived this way, not following Safari suit. The Sierra can be SWB & Sumo can be LWB variants on same platform (though I also fear the Sierra could end up being the 4.3 meters monocoque SUV in the end).

I believe I'm thinking too ahead as a business owner than an enthusiast. But, seriously their performance is inspiring, notwithstanding the lesser impact of higher number of small cars sold on company's profitability.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st January 2022 at 20:20. Reason: Adding comments
CARDEEP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 20:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Most manufacturers have plant maintenance during December and this probably has contributed to lesser numbers from Hyundai. Nevertheless, Tata is doing well with loads of vehicles going on the roads month on month increasing the buyers confidence. Hope they consolidate well into the 2nd spot.
nkrishnap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 20:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not so long ago they were doing 7000-8000 units per month. Awesome achievement now with the 35000+ sales number. I am happy as a share holder. Please don't stop here Tata, I want to buy my first electric car by selling TML share.

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st January 2022 at 20:59.
Latheesh is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 21:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

TML PVBU, in a couple of year's time should be doing 50,000+ units a month. With their upcoming SUV that will be positioned in the "Nexon+ / Harrier - " segment and also Peregrine,(Honda City / Skoda Slavia / VW Virtus) competitor, higher volumes can easily be achieved. By that time Nexon V2 and Tiago V2 would also be getting developed for a 2025 launch, thus consolidating TML's position further.

What they need to do is to augment dealer servicing capacity to ensure a better throughput per dealer resulting in a shorter turnaround time for customers. Existing dealer workshop's are packed to capacity at the moment with overstretched staff, over utilised equipment, often leading to failed service delivery, both in terms of quality and timelines, which naturally has a collateral effect on customer satisfaction.
arjab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 21:38   #11
BHPian

Tatas balance sheet is laden with record dept. They need to make profitable products & stretch product life cycle of existing models to improve profitability.

Hyundai is only limited by their production capacity. Just compare the waiting period of Hyundai cars vs their competing Tata cars. Infact they brought in a sister concern with Kia which hit profitability within a record 15 months of sales.

Harrier / Safari twins are profitable but have serious competition in not just the XUV7OO, but also Hector. The only thing holding them ahead is Mahindras' production constraints.

Tata has contracted to buy 70k 2.0L engines for 10 years which is another financial burden because cars with these engines would probably never get 5 star NCAP crash test ratings.

After 4-5 years, MoRTH will likely mandate cars be equipped with Level 1 ADAS. M&M is already ready with L2 & will refine its operational adaptability with time. Even MG is ready with ADAS tech on its Astor.

Tata has to manage plenty of things, including reasonable quality control over dealer ASC operations, while increasing capacity. They're walking the tight rope and have a lot to worry.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 1st January 2022 at 21:52.
WorkingGuru is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 23:02   #12
BHPian

That is some milestone for Tata. But for how long will this run last? From what I can peice together there is no new model currently under development and Tata was supposed to hive off the passenger car division to another entity. They were in talks with some Chinese company (Chery?) but political situations along with covid has put a spanner on that. The Nexon and Tiago are due for a generation change, however no test mules have been spotted. From whatever I have read on Tatas future plan this is what I gathered;

Long range Nexon ev
Altroz auto
Altroz ev
Punch turbo
Punch ev
Harrier/ Safari petrol

So should we expect the same lineup (design wise) to continue for another 2 years at the least? I suppose their immediate plan is to still find a suitable buyer for the pv business. One of the reasons rumoured for Pratap Boses exit is supposed to be lack for future products to develop. Mahindra on the other hand has a 6 year road map ready. Even MS will update its lineup in the coming 2 years. Hyundai have always been proactive in refreshing their products.

So though I'm happy to see Tata where they are, I somehow feel they didn't expect this themselves. Would be interesting to see where they go from here.
400notout is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 23:28   #13
BHPian

Tata outsold Hyundai to become second largest PV maker in India

This is certainly music to ears. Shows the new generation of customers are not averse to risk taking and definitely looking for differentiation. Stellar designs from Tata in the last 4-5 years and educating customers on safety seems to have paid off.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/passenger-vehicle/cars/tata-motors-overtakes-hyundai-to-grab-the-number-two-position-in-december-2021-/88634707
JReacher13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 23:39   #14
BHPian

What a turn around story by TML. Thank you for introducing car safety to the narrative in our country. More so, accompanied with some great looking cars over the last half a decade, this is no mean feat
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 23:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

So the Punch was named aptly to deliver the knockout blow to Hyundai!

The news needs to be taken with a bit of salt but not undermining the achievement. It's great to see Tata on 2nd spot.

Hyundai production dropped from high 40K to below 35K due to chip shortage and other reasons.

Tata has increased for this month well past their average of mid 20's to 35K.

It will be back to 3 soon but Tata still has potential to catch up if they do the right moves such as:

1. Altroz turbo needs an AT box ASAP
2. Punch with turbo!
3. The Nexon is begging for a proper AT box. Kia and Hyundai own this segment with the Venue and Sonet DCT and diesel AT.

With these 3 options they can seriously trouble Hyundai even more regularly in the rankings. The idea is to strike when the enemy is weak!

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd January 2022 at 15:02. Reason: Typos
Vid6639 is offline   (39) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks