Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Whenever I switch from my Kushaq to my Tigor, I always think, I would have paid a lakh extra for a Turbo and a TC/DCT in this car. I anyways paid 60k over a manual to get an AMT.

Presently, Tata is charging a 60k premium for AMT (Punch) and a 70k premium for a Turbo (Altroz).

If Tata can price the Turbo + DCT combo package within 1.5 lakhs, here is what they should have:

Tiago XZ Turbo Petrol + DCT at 7.6 lakhs.
Punch Creative Turbo Petrol + DCT at 10 lakhs.
Altroz XZ Turbo Petrol + DCT at 10 lakhs.

I, seriously, would have picked a Punch Turbo Petrol DCT at 10 lakhs, had it been available.

Tata has been making all the right decisions till now. The only field where they are lacking, is power and transmissions. Hoping they catch up here too.
ashutoshb is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:19   #32
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Hearty Congratulations to the TATA team. Amazing and so happy to see this milestone. We all know that this is a temporary one due to plant shut down & chip shortage. Still, the No.2 position will give a broad smile on everyone's (TATA team) face. Its a great achievement.
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:58   #33
BHPian

Tata Motors' turn around is literally a Netflix series material. Kudos & congratulations
Most of the BHPians are saying that this is the effect of chip shortage. May be or may not be true. But if that is the case, isn't Tata Motors as a company managing the chip shortage better than Hyundai? I mean if Hyundai is falling from >40K to <35K & TML is increasing from <27K to >35K, then it shows proper management, spot on slaes prediction & increasing consumer faith.
Give the credit where it is due.
speedguy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:27   #34
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2022 at 11:41.
sunilkm is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:04   #35
BHPian

Kudos to our home grown brand which has come a long way in making Solid & Safer cars for Indian roads.
There were tough times for TATA PV segment till 2016, after that it has improved a lot in Terms of both Product & Service.
The rising Sales figure of TATA reflects that the consumers have starting giving priority to the Safer vehicles.
Congratulations TATA for the achievement and making country proud !
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:07   #36
BHPian

I feel, this will be more of a physiological for both TML & Hyundai. Hyundai would be feeling how much vulnerable they are & would want to bounce back strongly.
on other side there would be celebrations / stories & planning for how to sustain the second position on TML side.

But its an awesome journey in front of our eyes how can a company just believe in itself, do the right things & now has the possibility of becoming India No 1.

Time to bring back small vehicle frame with new possibilites.
They can relaunch Hexa to counter the alcazar/xl6 etc space.
They can relaunch SUMO to take on the 4x4 space.

Loads of possibilities.
007 Bond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:24   #37

It is indeed a happy moment for advocates of the Indian brand. But definitely not a moment to rejoice and sink in it.
Tatas have only overtaken Hyundai. Not to forget that Hyundai needs to be considered as a group now. Hyundai + Kia together needs to be beaten to seal the second spot. For now it is only half the job done.

Also, the momentum that TaMo have got now, should not be let go and it should build on it. Historically, all the Tata group companies have been front runners and early birds. But once the competition picks up, they look very vulnerable. Of course, off late this trend is changing within Tata companies. I am hopeful that TaMo will continue this momentum and come up with good value launches as in the last one year.
anil_rnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Wow TATA, way to go. Pleasantly surprised and genuinely happy for TAMO. I always knew the Indian brands had it in them to churn out mass numbers. Well, I hope the momentum remains constant. I believe the customers have come of age and are noticing the paradigm shift in TAMO's strategies. I see at least 3 to 5 Nexons when I step out of my house, even if it's for grocery shopping. Good luck!
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

This is very good news!

What concerns me is, since departure of Mr Bose to Mahindra, Tata hasn’t revealed much about their future vehicles or the design philosophy, whether they’ll continue with the existing one or move ahead with new products. I must’ve missed the cue in between, however, I don’t think there’s launches in 2022?
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:27   #40
BHPian

TATA is and will remain the flavor of the people in 2022 also given their product line up and goodwill which they achieved in recent times.Good designs , well pricing , aggressive marketing and add to that the GNCAP ratings ,well why not buy a TATA then ?
quattroa4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:30   #41
BANNED

Tata has achieved what seemed impossible 5-6 years ago.

Good on you Tata.

Please use this opportunity to get in the right gearboxes. You need CVT / DCT in your line up for your best sellers. Kia is a good example of the combination of gearboxes. Kia is the only one I know which has a auto gear box for a sub 20L diesel vehicle.

If Tata can fill the gaps in terms of A.S.S and some reliability issues, they can cement their position as No.2 and gun for No.1.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Though a very positive development, let the euphoria not be shortlived for Tata Motors, its customers and well wishers. The real life situation is quite tricky with the huge waiting lists piling up with auto manufacturers here. The semiconductor shortage is playing havoc having been a kill joy for every stakeholder.

Let the supply chain get normal and only then the actual sale and demand scenario will emerge.
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:52   #43
BHPian

Securing the No. 2 slot will certainly be a (booster) shot in the arm for Tata Motors. Though in the same breath I must say, Hyundai will get it back shortly (Inevitable).

But, while sales numbers are all good, one must look also at the net profits of these companies. This is where a different story unfolds with Hyundai/Kia and Toyota being higher up than expected. Tata needs to get its higher segment products in order. The Safari after the launch of the XUV 700 no longer looks like a smart choice. More profits mean better R&D, leads to better products for the customer.
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:53   #44
BHPian

This is great going for TATA and also for overall car industry, guess who benefits when more manufacturers are closely matched - customers, Monopolies are bad for business, given chance Maruti would have still sold power windows as feature!
I know this might be one off month, when chip shortage normalise resumes Hyundai might go back to regular 40K+ figures but it will be always close fought battle.
Also notice two logistical changes Tata has done at business level
1. Separate passenger vehicle business unit.
2. Separate EV business unit

Those two will further give better control on market and quality.
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Really happy for Tata. They have worked really hard for last few years and its paying dividends now. They have potential to grab second spot as well. They need to get Sumo back with new generation model, it was a famous brand few years back and people would love it back. It can definitely get them good numbers as Bolero is too old now. Also they need to get few new engines with more juice for cars like Tiago, Punch which can bring more numbers.

Good luck Tata. I am sure you will do better only in 2022 !

Most Viewed