Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 09:48   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
I feel, this will be more of a physiological for both TML & Hyundai.
You mean psychological?
Old 4th January 2022, 11:33   #62
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While other manufacturers got really scared of Covid, Tata smartly placed the right bets and secured their supplies. Also remember that Hyundai has a Korean HQ which can dictate where chip supplies are diverted (i.e. bigger markets where more expensive cars are sold).
All major international player will have similar approach as they would try to sustain profitability in those markets.

Nice thing to see is that TATA is exploring the possibility to manufacture these chips in India. It will have a two point benefit 1) Indian Market will not be affected due to such turbulences & 2) We may start exporting from India to other Market across the globe.
Old 4th January 2022, 11:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Tata has contracted to buy 70k 2.0L engines for 10 years which is another financial burden because cars with these engines would probably never get 5 star NCAP crash test ratings.
I'm curious to know why these cars are unlikely to get a good NCAP rating? Kindly enlighten
Old 4th January 2022, 11:56   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
You mean psychological?
thanks dear for the correction it is psychological.

A different body language would be with TML this month.
007 Bond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

We are one of the 35000 dispatches. Just got delivery of our Nexon EV XM and, to be really honest, might just be the best decision we have ever made this year.
Fit and finish are still not at Hyundai levels, or even Renault/Nissan levels. Some plastic trim and rubber bits are hilarious.
But the build, sturdiness and ride/handling of the vehicle, along with the overall refinement and engineering of the car make it the best buy this year.
frankmehta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:54   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
I'm a hippocrite.

Maybe I'm asking for too much. But if a foreign brand like Suzuki or Honda or Hyundai can do it in India, with Indian staff. TATA can do it 10 times better.
Isn't the opposite is also true. With global R&D outreach and favorable production scales, Maruthi can also produce better build cars, when others are doing at similar or cheaper price points.

I agree that ASS can be hit or miss with Tata, at present. But not sure about the other points.
JReacher13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:57   #67
BHPian

Upcoming budget, EV policy, Scrappage policy, PLI scheme, Tata power's ambition on Green energy, Tata Elxsi on Digitalization, Tata electronics on semi conductors, Tata chemicals on Li-ion and with the leadership of N. Chandra, I think the stars are all aligned.

Happy to be an investor in a company that shows committment and intent to grow.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 13:52   #68
BHPian

The single best USP of Tata Motors is they are 'upward looking'. Their products have evolved, their image had a makeover and overall looking to improvise in all aspects. It is like an underdog, who has noting to loose but to prove himself.

While other global manufactures tend to downgrade their global products (in terms of safety, quality, refinement, etc.) in name of competitiveness, before introducing it in India and few other OEMs do not even consider launching new products but only limit to old generation versions, it was Tata and Mahindra who gave them run for their money by upping their game to next level.

Product management has been up to the mark, with scope for improvement in terms of variant prepositions, optional upgrades, proper car configurators etc.

Dealership & ASS certainly needs an upgrade, both in terms of outlook and commitment.

In summary, they are reaping the fruits of commitment. It is time now for sustainability !!

Best of luck to TATA.

Cheers !!
Rolling_Stock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 14:18   #69
BHPian

Launch after launch! Hit after hit! Tata Motors' journey in the last 2 years is nothing short of a well made drama!

What do they have in store for 2022 remains the biggest mystery. Let's hope Part II of the drama is also a hit! Well done, Tata Motors.
Old 4th January 2022, 14:34   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumer View Post
I'm curious to know why these cars are unlikely to get a good NCAP rating? Kindly enlighten
I came across info (across many forums including Team-BHP) that the FIAT 2.0L MJD engine is designed as such that the positioning of the oil filter is on the driver side of a RHD car, so in the unfortunate incident of a crash, the oil filter would pierce through the driver footwell and injure their legs. This is possibly the main reason none of the RHD cars with 2.0L MJD either haven't been tested, or GNCAP hasn't published the results of the test.

There was news of MG eventually shifting to SIACs' in-house developed 2L diesel engine for the Hector(/Plus). So, they don't seem to have signed a long term contract for buying the engines like TATA. Which means if the engine MG shifts over to leads to better crash-safety ratings, then FIAT & Tata could be the only companies selling SUVs without NCAP results whilst their competitors marketing would likely highlight the safety aspect which is a huge selling point.

Since 2019, even the base Innova Crysta offered driver knee airbag, apart from the 2 front airbags, as standard.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 4th January 2022 at 14:39.
WorkingGuru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 14:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

This achievement (stupendous) actually exposes Hyundai's woes

(I know, semiconductors!)

But is it time, for a The Way Forward thread for Hyundai?

Does anyone else think that Hyundai has been underperforming for a while? Launch cadence has slowed down, new launches have not been hitting the mark in terms of expectations. Hyundai has seen its previous strongholds like compact cars and compact sedans segments selling lower than their own historical averages.

Santro - Dud. I have no idea how Maruti manages to sell 15k-20k WagonRs per month; 10x more than Santro sales!

Aura - Gets outsold by Amaze

Alcazar - Hasn't really caused any worries to the Harrier; Possible semiconductor affected but seemed to be a 2.5k model without any constraints.

Kona - Probably HQ doesn't send any to India anymore; Could be said Hyundai has been a flop in EV for now (look at ZS sales). They need cheap EVs.

i20 - sales are hovering around 6k

Grand i10 - Hyundai would have hoped to sell atleast 10k of these each month, instead gets outsold by i20 in some months.

Elite i20 and i10 were 12k/month each models in the past.

Last edited by avishar : 4th January 2022 at 14:55.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 15:13   #72
BHPian

8-10 colleagues and acquaintances who bought a Tata car recommended by me over last two years would be thanking me after reading this news. They were worried by resale price few years down the lane. Now, with so many Tata cars on the road, the resale is going to be better. I wish, they had a refined 4 cylinder NA petrol engine like 1.5 iVTEC or even 1.5 used in Scross, in a few of their models. Nexon has become a brand in itself in Nepal.
amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 16:37   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

With least impact on Semi conductor shortage, Tata Motors ended the year on a high note and surpassed Hyundai India's volumes in December 2021.

Market Share of TATA Motors was at 13.9% while Hyundai's was at 12.7%.

Tata Motors recorded a 10-year high monthly sales in Dec’21 and registered a growth of 50% vs Dec’20!

The stellar sales performance by Tata Motors has helped the OEM a decade-high quarterly sales of 99,002 units in Q3 FY22 with a growth of 44% vs Q3 FY21.

Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India-1da610_ad9ef3c02a234a7fac3ff621af46f264_mv2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th January 2022 at 16:39.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 17:33   #74

Congratulations to TML on reaching this milestone. Happy to say my family contributed to the sales count last quarter with the addition of Safari to the garage. Sincerely hope Tata can achieve sales linearity over the next months and years. From the conversations within my circles, most of the negative impressions on Tata cars seem to come from those who have never owned one. Sales numbers of Tata Hexa can testify to the hysteria of spending more than 15L on a Tata product. It was a brilliant product and yet failed to scoop market excitement that it deserved. If Hexa was released under a Toyota badge, then one can imagine what the sales numbers would have been. I believe Tata can overcome inadvertence by offering valuable customer experience (Sales and After Sales Service), fix the niggles reported by early adopters, build reliability and continue to innovate and demonstrate value. Wishing them good luck!
Akmal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 17:58   #75
BHPian

I kinda feel this is going to be a 2 or 3 month stunt from Tata. When Hyundai recovers from the chip shortage and with the amount of backlogs they would have, it will raise to second position soon.
Do we think, Tata has gained the confidence from the customers which Hyundai has?
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks