Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2004, 19:31   #1
BHPian

Its been a month and a half with my cvt and have done 1600km at an average mileage of 7.5 in the city and 11.5 on the expressway.
The CR-V 4.5 months 5800km at an average mileage of 6 in the city and 8 on express.No complaints.
The CVT mileage DISSAPOINTING cause it was sold on the assumption of 13-14kmpl.
But still it is superior in EVERY way to its previous model a/t.Met 2 people who have cvt's and they all r getting a similar mileage........what do u have to say honda siel??
Old 17th April 2004, 19:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey how does the CVT feel to drive. Personally i've never driven or even seen that car from the inside.

Does it have a tacho? In conventional cars we drive for economy based on the rpm in each gear. How does the CVT compare on these accounts.

Try driving the car at around 80-90kmph the next time you're on the expressway and let me know how much you got.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 17th April 2004, 19:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Hey how does the CVT feel to drive. Personally i've never driven or even seen that car from the inside.

Its a pleasure to drive.Fantastic go anywhere abilities and damn good interiors.
Does it have a tacho? In conventional cars we drive for economy based on the rpm in each gear. How does the CVT compare on these accounts.

Man would honda make a car without a tacho??!! * Ya the main feature of the cvt vs a/t is that it is jerk free,which it is.

[quote]Try driving the car at around 80-90kmph the next time you're on the expressway and let me know how much you got
94.5 km of pure open ground my friend makes it diff to drive at 80-90 i got 11 at a speed of 100-130.anyway back on that rd tomorrow so will let you know on wednesday
Old 17th April 2004, 20:02   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I remember you had posted this query earlier too, and I still think that you have not covered sufficient km's on the odo to start calculating your mileage.

Either ways, 7.5 is a bit too low but then the CVT does have "waste-revving" where the engine revvs climb up and still the power is not yet transferred to the drive. The only other CVT vehicle India has seen is the Kinetic Honda which also had this revving issue. Its an inherrent of CVT's

Wait until 3000kms, then check your average and update us

GTO
Old 17th April 2004, 20:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

A doctor with whom I play golf gets 13km in town in hus CVT but he has been consciously light footed
Old 18th April 2004, 04:28   #6
BANNED

cvts' auto right..i bet u can mess with the ecu and get more for less..
anyways 8-10 is decent wit hac on .. compared to another car in its segment.. like the forester..or the teraccan.... after all its smooth as a slide and u get honda reliability...not to mention the resale..or the exchange options they come up with r really attractive!
Old 18th April 2004, 10:22   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] compared to another car in its segment.. like the forester..or the teraccan
I think you are mixing up the CVT with Cr-V! He is talking about the Honda City CVT

GTO
Old 19th April 2004, 03:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 17 2004,18:32)]Either ways, 7.5 is a bit too low but then the CVT does have "waste-revving" where the engine revvs climb up and still the power is not yet transferred to the drive. The only other CVT vehicle India has seen is the Kinetic Honda which also had this revving issue. Its an inherrent of CVT's
Hey GTO,

I was unaware that the new honda city offered the CVT option until i read it on TBHP a month back.
I dont think the kinetic honda is really a "CVT", it just has a centrifugal clutch which "catches" more as RPMs increase. I think this type of transmission is definitely more wasteful than the CVTs.

Any idea what kind of CVT the NHC has?

cya
Rehaan.
Old 19th April 2004, 13:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

rehaan,

from what i know the CVT does not use a standard tranny. i'm told it's tranny comprises (simplified version) of a driving wheel and a driven cone. a "belt" is strapped around both these wheels similar to the chain of a bicycle or a belt driven turntable.

as the rpm of the driving wheel increases the "belt" slips down the cone to the narrow end and vice versa this reduces if not eliminates the "clunkiness" of a standard tranny.

in the honda it has a sport and a high gear mode. the sport mode ia ssume is effectively a method to increase the "virtual diameter" of the driven wheel simialr to the gears on a multi-speed bicycle. the high gear i assume is a mechanisim to ensure the "belt" does not slip too much to the narrow end of the cone.

in the 70s-80s this sort of tranny was doing vigorous rounds in detroit somehow like the Wankel engine (Felix Wankel) this technology did not take root. now if mazda made a cvt verions of the rx7/8 it would be interesting. both technologies seem to work best at the low displacement/power end so a 80bhp Wankel mated to a cvt would be a nice possibility.
Old 19th April 2004, 13:13   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honda did introduce the Continuously Variable Transmission in its Kinetic Honda in 1986. Just like the New Honda City, even the Kinetic Honda's drive went through two variators.

The New honda city's transmission is just as wasteful, there is a significant amount of the rubber band effect where the revvs rise but the car is still not picking up any momentum

GTO
Old 19th April 2004, 17:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

All this talk of CYT's reminds me once again of that article in F1 racing where the Williams engineers were told to design their idea of what an F1 car would be today. Well, much to my surprise, they picked a CVT instead of a regular auto or semi auto box. They had given an explaination why, which i can't recall at this moment, but I'll look it up.
Old 19th April 2004, 17:19   #12
Team-BHP Support

***meant cvt's
Old 19th April 2004, 18:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey rtech do you remember which issue it was? I might have it... Do let me know

Cheers
Old 19th April 2004, 18:32   #14
Team-BHP Support

will check on the exact month and let you know tomorrow. However, it had the 6-wheeled Williams on the cover if that helps
Old 20th April 2004, 08:10   #15
BANNED

hey found this great site on honda cvt.. might wanna check it out before any more queries....

http://www.jason.correa.net/hr/cvt/Honda%20CVT.htm

Most Viewed