Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2022, 19:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Review: I bought a used car from Spinny

65i for Just the Gear shifter assembly? What is that made of? Gold? Silver? I thought that was cost for the gear box rebuild? In that much cost perhaps Manual gear box could have been changed. Seems excessively overpriced to me.
ASHUJNMC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 00:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Am thankful for the previous owner to have taken the Extended Warranty and also for ensuring that the vehicle was serviced whenever it was due.
From my understanding, the part was changed under the OEM warranty.
In case the OEM warranty didn't cover it, would Spinny have covered the costs involved?

Last edited by aah78 : 27th January 2022 at 22:38. Reason: Quote trimmed.
rohanjt96 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 22:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHUJNMC View Post
65i for Just the Gear shifter assembly? What is that made of? Gold? Silver? I thought that was cost for the gear box rebuild? In that much cost perhaps Manual gear box could have been changed. Seems excessively overpriced to me.
Guess the cost is due to the assembly being imported I guess. Checked the part cost outside and found the below in Boodmo.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-gear...assy-37466148/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjt96 View Post
From my understanding, the part was changed under the OEM warranty.
In case the OEM warranty didn't cover it, would Spinny have covered the costs involved?
Yes, the part was changed under OEM warranty but I was given to understand by Spinny that in case OEM warranty did not cover it they would reimburse me for that part.

To their credit I raised reimbursement for parts that were not part of regular service like for example the piping from the turbo as the car is in comprehensive warranty for 3 months from sale date by Spinny and 1 year warranty for engine and transmission components. They honored the reimbursement request I raised and did a bank transfer.
anandtheleo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 01:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Guess the cost is due to the assembly being imported I guess. Checked the part cost outside and found the below in Boodmo.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-gear...assy-37466148/
That's shocking. Somewhere i was thinking about getting a used Hexa Auto but looking at this cost, I guess better to avoid!
ASHUJNMC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 20:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek_999 View Post
Pros and cons of Spinny
This thread came at the right time for me as i was looking for a second hand car for my wife. Got delivered the car (Honda Brio) today without even visiting their showroom once.
Two home test drives were done. No discounts. After bit of effort got 20Ltrs of petrol.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th January 2022 at 22:39. Reason: Quote trimmed. Spacing.
kit_dennis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 10:09   #36

I have a few friends who purchased their car from Spinny and have only given good reviews. I also know what happens behind the scenes when they buy a car from an individual/ auction and tbh I appreciate the fact that they put in a lot of effort to make sure the car is in good working order by repairing/ replacing most of the parts that are damaged

However, my recent interaction with them hasn't been so smooth.

I was recently looking our to buy a placeholder car in my hometown . My requirements were fairly clear, find a car that is < 5 yrs old, petrol hatch and doesn't cost me a fortune since the car will barely put any miles for the next 10 yrs.

I found a very well maintained Grand i10 2017 Kappa for 4 lakh and it felt a good deal to me so I booked it straightaway.
The sales team was very nice and well behaved and told if I could purchase this the next day since they could then meet their monthly sales targets. I agreed given that I had the money with me. On closer inspection i released the car hadn't yet received the NOC from the bank and they were trying to sell the car to me nevertheless . I did reach out to the sales team asking for this, where they initially said that all paperwork is in place. But on repeated requests for the scanned copy of NOC they reverted that the payments are all done but the NOC will take another 15 days to come. However, I should trust their brand and goodwill and go for the purchase.

I vetoed the purchase a couple of hrs before the delivery. They didn't take it kindly and are now saying they will cancel the booking unless I pay the balance amount.
Given that Spinny is a fairly established brand now, I was surprised at the lack of transparency that these guys have shown. My two cents will be to take your time and do all diligence when buying a used car because no-one will really give you an honest picture. Better to get one from your friends and acquaintances because you know the person's history at least.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st February 2022 at 11:03. Reason: spacing for better readability & correcting typos
Poptin is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 02:12   #37
BHPian

My experience with Spinny has been that of a buyer only. So I'm not sure about how it is from a seller's POV.

I'm summarizing these points after 2 of my friends bought their cars from Spinny(S cross and Vento TDI DSG) and I was about to buy a car from Spinny but I didn't.

Positives:
+Test drives as per our convenience
+The Sales advisors are courteous
+Paperwork gets sorted in no time
+Easy financing options
+Perceived trust by their almost instant settlements, warranty and buy back after 18 months.

Negatives:
-The internal work is that of a used car mafia. More of a polished one.
-Most of the cars have some issue or the other. One Freestyle was flood affected and the S cross my friend had bought had the glow plugs conked in 2 days of purchase. Spinny replaced it FOC. But if a major repair like one of the Bhpian's gear box went kaput, Spinny didn't take any ownership there. Their 200 point checklist is not quite reliable and sounds like hogwash.
-No negotiations, no matter what.
-Misintepretaion of Car Info. Eg:Spinny Mentioned that S cross came with ESP and traction control but as far as I remember, S cross does not get this feature till date.
- Denial of acceptance that the feature set or variant has been misinterpreted. Most of the people fall prey to this and the used car market milks such people heavily
-I can understand a premium of 30-40k but overpricing cars by a lakh or almost to brand new car's price is unacceptable.
Eg: 2011 Swift VXI is priced for 4.x L. The same st owner would have paid 5L for this. Also, a 2017 make Vento is priced about 9L .Doesn't depreciation apply here?

In a nutshell, I'd avoid such dealers and sites unless the car is really worth the effort. Due diligence in searching or verifying the car is important in a used car purchase. Else, the old way of buying through an acquaintance or a known person is the best option.

Last edited by jithin23 : 8th February 2022 at 02:13. Reason: Added content
jithin23 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 06:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

My Hyundai Accent with 1.5 lakh kms on odometer was sold to CARS24, Sarjapura in 2019 for Rs.75k. One month later, we found the car up for sale at a used car dealer on Bannerghatta Road for Rs.1.3 lakhs, the odometer (62k kms) was tampered.

My SIL had picked up a Honda City (dolphin model) from Advaith Hyundai, Katriguppe for 2.5 lakhs, the odometer read 70K kms. When we took it for service to Magnum Honda, it was revealed that the car had a history of engine issues and last serviced at Whitefield Honda. The last recorded odometer reading was 93k kms in 2017 at Whitefield Honda. Imagine what would be the actual odometer reading.

Last edited by deehunk : 9th February 2022 at 07:03.
deehunk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 08:10   #39
BHPian

I didn't want to spoil the party, and with so many great stories, it seemed like this Spinny (and others like it) was an exception.

I have shopped for used cars with Truevalue, Mahindra's whatever (don't know if it still exists). When they started selling used cars, I was told by one of my colleagues who was looking to purchase a Maruti that these businesses were giving him competitive quotes and even doing 100 point checks on the competition's cars to prove how much better their own offerings were.

Fast forward a few years, a Truevalue purchase agent stood near a MASS and made an offer for my car, an ageing M800. Remembering the 100 point checks, I asked him to have my car evaluated and give me a list of issues with my car. My intention was to take the list to the service advisor and have them fixed, so my car would be as "good as new"

And the "evaluation" was over in minutes, which was basically a list of dings and dents on the body, and a quote which about 10K more than the original offer by the other agent, IIRC! I realized how their business model had changed - there was no need to evaluate and fix all the problems before selling, they would set aside a margin as insurance against catastrophic failure and they would fix any problems (usual caveats here) that arose within their warranty period using their "insurance fund".

Fast forward a few more years, I was in the market for an Alto K10 - Truevalue Sagar on Bannerghata Rd was highly unethical, they didn't even do any of the required maintenance on the car before handing it over. I had taken the car to my regular Surakshaa service center, and they had reluctantly pointed out the issues with the car. "Reluctant", because they immediately saw that the car was on the Truevalue list on their system and did not want to comment against "their own". After purchase, I took the car back to Surakshaa to get some of the issues fixed, at which time, I realized that they had not even done any of the promised maintenance, like changing the air filter, oil, etc. After a couple of days, I sold the car back (no exchange, because they don't want to let go of the enormous profits in a sale) and bought a much newer model which had fewer issues. By then I knew that they would not fix anything with the car, and secondly, I was stuck with them as I had already paid them (you know, the usual exchange run around) and they never even gave me a second remote key which they had promised or fix the stereo wiring which required a simple connector change. Totally unethical.

How people expect new companies like Spinny and Cars24, etc to behave differently is actually not a big mystery to me - they build their reputation initially (like a newly opened restaurant) and later milk it for all it is worth. Expect that all of them will close once they have acquired a bad enough reputation and re-start again under a different name.

Last edited by mvadg : 9th February 2022 at 08:12.
mvadg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 19:29   #40
BHPian

I sold a Skoda car to Cars24. The dealer informed me that the name change will occur within 3 months.
During that time who is responsible for any traffic violations and insurance renewal?
I enquired with RTO and was told that the person whose name is on the RC is responsible.
There should be a category of temporary ownership with the name of the used car company updated with RTO.
If not we (Team BHP members) should lobby with the transport minister to include such a category.
Just as new car dealers can apply online for registration, similarly, a used car dealer should be able to record a purchase online.
Olympal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 20:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
During that time who is responsible for any traffic violations and insurance renewal?
I enquired with RTO and was told that the person whose name is on the RC is responsible.
There should be a category of temporary ownership with the name of the used car company updated with RTO.
If not we (Team BHP members) should lobby with the transport minister to include such a category.
Just as new car dealers can apply online for registration, similarly, a used car dealer should be able to record a purchase online.
To be honest, these pseudo-broker companies should be the ones lobbying for such a thing. I see this rule to be a genuine threat to their operating model. Only a matter of time before it catches up to them.
We see multiple complaints of delayed transfer of ownership and liability related issues with every passing day.
red_nemesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 21:46   #42
BHPian

Looks a good start by Spinny.

Do they charge GST on top of the quoted selling/buying prices or is the GST included in the prices ?
Can anyone clarify me on this ?
RaghavEvoX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 22:55   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
I sold a Skoda car to Cars24. The dealer informed me that the name change will occur within 3 months.
This is the need of the hour to organize the used car market better. With Vaahan and everything becoming digital, it should be definitely possible.

Essentially the cars sold to dealer, shall be assigned in the Vaahan portal in the name of dealer by seller and it can be considered as a 'Goods in Trade' against the dealer and ownership temporarily assigned to the dealer. Insurance shall be by the used car dealer till it is sold. Dealer is accountable for any traffic violations. Only the 'number of owners' field will not increase. Once a buyer is found, it will undergo the Transfer of ownership process from the dealer. So there is no loss to the dealer on account of number of owners.

Overall, it is exactly how new cars/demo vehicles are handled by new car dealers. This way the ODO tampering will also be not possible at least for genuine seller cases. This will also plug lot of black money in the used car market and over a period of time only larger serious used car dealers will be in the market and fly by night operators will vanish.

Cars sold to individuals shall have the same process as now as there is clear accountability defined.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 19:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Looks a good start by Spinny.

Do they charge GST on top of the quoted selling/buying prices or is the GST included in the prices ?
Can anyone clarify me on this ?
They don't change GST on top of quoted price, the price is all inclusive , including RC transfer, car delivery at door step
Arayan5614 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 19:34   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Sharing my Spinny experience. Around October 2021 wanted a decent SUV after experiencing the ever deteriorating roads in Bengaluru with my sedan (Ford Fiesta DCT).

Checked out and reserved (by paying Rs.10000) a used 2017 Hyundai Tucson Automatic which though it looked and drove decent, the VFM quotient was not that great and so cancelled the reservation. Full marks for Spinny to immediately refund the money to my original payment option.

Pre-Delivery: Then identified a used 2017 Tata Hexa XTA (1st Owner) and test drove it (they came home and gave a decently long test drive) after which I identified a few issues like less cooling in AC, wheel alignment issues (pulling left) and other minor issues. Was promised that everything will be rectified before delivery, hence reserved the vehicle by paying Rs.10000 again. Got the full service history for the car from Spinny and also the latest insurance copy (to check IDV and NCB)
After about a week later got confirmation that all the issues were addressed, informed them that I will pay the balance only after inspection and test drive to which they agreed. Inspection was good and I paid the balance and collected the vehicle on the same day. Vehicle was fully washed and vacuumed before delivery (Nov 6th). Will give them 9/10 for pre-delivery experience.

Post-delivery: During routine engine bay check after a couple of days noticed that the brake oil reservoir cap was broken and some oil had spilled. Raised it to my RM who in turn redirected me to the Spinny workshop which thankfully was near-by. The cap was replaced and oil topped up without any questions or charges.

Drove for a couple of runs in Bengaluru and also near-by places and also used the car for a long drive (about 2600 Kms) during the Christmas weekend and it was a comfortable drive. Post the drive started noticing that the gear lever was not slotting into the Parking mode and needed a hard push (which was really painful to execute for a car lover) from Drive mode. Took it to KHT Motors the Tata ASS near-by to diagnose as the vehicle is in extended warranty till Dec-22. The ASS was full and was told to get the vehicle 1st week of Jan-22. Then contacted Spinny who after inspection told that they don't have the necessary expertise (so much for their 1-year transmission warranty) to fix it in their workshop and its best to get it rectified in Tata ASS.

Gave the car to KHT Motors on January 4th for the gear lever problem and also for annual service (to keep the extended warranty intact). The ASS after diagnosis informed that the gear lever assembly has to be changed (cost Rs.85000) and will take it up with Tata for honoring extended warranty.

Current situation: Car is still in KHT Motors, warranty replacement is approved but since the part is not in stock they have to order it and are not sure when the part will be available.

So far, a mixed bag experience with Spinny. I feel for minor issues they are equipped to support post-sales but for anything major we are left to fend for ourselves. Hence my advice is 'Caveat Emptor'.
Incidentally been looking for hexa XTA for couple of weeks, possible to share the price you paid to Spinny the this car and how is the car doing now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks