Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2022, 16:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Review: I bought a used car from Spinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arayan5614 View Post
Incidentally been looking for hexa XTA for couple of weeks, possible to share the price you paid to Spinny the this car and how is the car doing now
I paid 12.81, for this I got a December 2017 XTA, almost brand new 4 tyres, insurance policy (comprehensive) was taken by Spinny as it was expiring within 3 months of sale date and Spinny has a policy of taking new one before sale. The car drives like a dream.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, all the best in your search.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 12th February 2022 at 17:10.
anandtheleo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 22:19   #47
BHPian

I have been keeping an eye on Spinny, OLX, Cars24 etc for Jeep Compass. Cars24 listed one 2019 limited plus petrol for 19.35 L. I called them and asked if the price was negotiable. They said no fixed price. Even test drive would be provided after paying a booking amount of 1000. I refused. Few days later the price dropped to 18.9 something. Then it showed booked. Then after few days the booked tag was removed and price changed to 20.5L.

If someone really booked the car and then let it go after evaluation, it's a red flag. But increasing the price on the same car? The way price is fluctuating in matter of days doesn't give me confidence as a buyer.
yashg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 13:10   #48
BHPian

Had a very bad experience with Spinny Bangalore. I had booked a Micra which was listed with ODO 52k. The service record they shared had multiple discrepancies. The KM and the work done was not matching. Someone manually updated the KM column on the report to match it to 52k. They were giving vague justifications. In the end i cancelled the booking. The car was registered on the name of a Chemical Company and probably done more than 1L KM. Entire body was repainted.

Based on some positive feedback here, i had high hopes. But looks like they are no different from dealers around the corner. Be careful when you purchase the car from Spinny. Check the service history in detail.
C300 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 16:19   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
I have been keeping an eye on Spinny, OLX, Cars24 etc for Jeep Compass. Cars24 listed one 2019 limited plus petrol for 19.35 L. I called them and asked if the price was negotiable. They said no fixed price. Even test drive would be provided after paying a booking amount of 1000. I refused. Few days later the price dropped to 18.9 something. Then it showed booked. Then after few days the booked tag was removed and price changed to 20.5L.

If someone really booked the car and then let it go after evaluation, it's a red flag. But increasing the price on the same car? The way price is fluctuating in matter of days doesn't give me confidence as a buyer.
Cars24 pricing is dynamic. I have observed specific listing's price getting changed multiple times. I was following Ecosport's pricing trajectory after Ford's exit and noticed this pattern on cars24. To quote an example, here is a snapshot of the price on Jan 21st which I had collected.

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-jan_29.png

Here is the price of the same cars today. You can see below that the 2018 car prices have reduced while the 2020 car price increased.

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-feb_21.png

I think based on the interest for the car, they dynamically increase or decrease the price. The same point was mentioned by satishchugh here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5236224 (Review: Buying a used car from Cars24)

On the other hand, I have never seen Spinny's pricing to increase. It doesn't generally decrease as well after a cancellation, though I remember seeing it happen once.
Old 26th February 2022, 21:11   #50

I was recently browsing through spinny and cars24, for a diesel beater car. What I found on these portals left me truely aghast . They have listed 3rd owner 2012 Swift Dzire VDI for 3.69L which has apparently run only 49000km through an ownership period of 3 owners over 10 years; a 2nd owner 2014 Honda Amaze iDTech VXMT for Rs 3.69L.

Who in their right mind would even buy these vehicles for such an atrocious price, if one has to think logically, buying a new car through loans would cost much cheaper for an ownership period of 5 years.

Still expecting negotiations I did set up a call, then in the call I was informed that prices are absolutely non-negotiable though I can get financing with zero downpayment, free RTO transfer, 6 month warranty and some other free stuffs. When I asked the person on the call about the value of this car after 4-5 years, he had nothing to say.

I think what their operation strategy is, they pay the car sellers a high price, then they intend to recover that sum plus 30-50% profit through their buyers and the buyers have an option of easy financing and an EMI of Rs. 10000 for many buyers won't be an issue.

However I really wonder, are the customers for such cars really that gullible to not see through the value they are getting for their EMIs or their cash or am I missing something that I do not understand yet ?

What I feel is that, sooner or later, these companies would i) either fail or ii) start working like Maruti True Value.

I have bookmarked these vehicles in my browser to see their status through the weeks.
Attached Images

sabyasachighosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 19:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabyasachighosh View Post
However I really wonder, are the customers for such cars really that gullible to not see through the value they are getting for their EMIs or their cash or am I missing something that I do not understand yet ?
I feel there is a strong demand for BS4 Diesel vehicles owing to rise in fuel costs and the hassles faced in BS6 Diesels. The 1.3 DDiS is still in demand since its a Maruti, so is the Honda iDTEC. Try buying the latest Swift Diesel and the prices of the preowned ones are closer to ex-showroom prices, or even higher.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 14:18   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I feel there is a strong demand for BS4 Diesel vehicles owing to rise in fuel costs and the hassles faced in BS6 Diesels. The 1.3 DDiS is still in demand since its a Maruti, so is the Honda iDTEC. Try buying the latest Swift Diesel and the prices of the preowned ones are closer to ex-showroom prices, or even higher.
Yes that is one of the reason and also Maruti no longer makes diesel cars and whoever wants a diesel Maruti (Swift), has to go the pre-owned route.

Recently, I booked a 2013 Swift VDI for 2.4 Lakh after some hard-negotiations from Maruti True Value and there were two guys wearing OLACARS uniform too in the dealer stockyard, who were apparently ready to purchase the car for 2.4L so they can't meet my asking price (2.35L) and there is such a huge demand for Diesel Swifts that they get sold out within 1-2 days of reaching the primary dealers in Tier-I cities (Like TrueValue, Hyundai H Promise, U-Trust) and I believe at a Rs 30000-35000 premium over its actual valued price.
Old 2nd May 2022, 21:31   #53
BHPian

Buy-back price in Spinny

How to know whether the price listed for your car is overinflated?

As I am looking to buy a CSUV/SUV pre-owned route, figured this out and sharing with the community.

Firstly, the positive - Spinny discloses its promises buy-back price.

The Negative - the prices from Spinny is already inflated, just can't make sense out of it. For example - a 2016 Duster AMT being listed at 10.33 lacs and subsequently reduced to 9.88 lacs in Bangalore. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Then upon digging into the pricing and buy-back details, this is what I discovered:

The standard depreciation applied by Spinny for most cars is about 27 percent for 18 months, that is roughly 18 percent p.a.

However, for a couple of cars, the Depreciation was 35 percent and 42 percent respectively, clearly indicating what Spinny thinks about its own sale.

So, keep a watch on the above if you're planning to buy from Spinny. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-img_20220502_211637.jpg  

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-img_20220502_211658.jpg  

theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 23:15   #54
BHPian

Spinny and ola cars, dont just buy from the customer but also dealers.

Some Dealers are unable to sell in local market at the price which ola buys from them. So they sell to ola. Eventually ola and spinny, hike the prices and people buy at inflated prices.

Some prices are so high its silly.

Last edited by easterncar : 2nd May 2022 at 23:16.
easterncar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:15   #55

Re: Buy-back price in Spinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
How to know whether the price listed for your car is overinflated?

As I am looking to buy a CSUV/SUV pre-owned route, figured this out and sharing with the community.

Firstly, the positive - Spinny discloses its promises buy-back price.

The Negative - the prices from Spinny is already inflated, just can't make sense out of it. For example - a 2016 Duster AMT being listed at 10.33 lacs and subsequently reduced to 9.88 lacs in Bangalore. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Then upon digging into the pricing and buy-back details, this is what I discovered:

The standard depreciation applied by Spinny for most cars is about 27 percent for 18 months, that is roughly 18 percent p.a.

However, for a couple of cars, the Depreciation was 35 percent and 42 percent respectively, clearly indicating what Spinny thinks about its own sale.

So, keep a watch on the above if you're planning to buy from Spinny. Hope this helps!

Totally agree to your calculation. When i got my car from spinny, i got it at a really good price, now the prices seem to be over inflated. In few cases the difference between new and old is just about 2 lakhs which doesn't make sense if you go for a car loan as the used car interest rates are high. Pandemic and the extreme price hike of new cars is unfortunately changing the way used car dealers are functioning.
Prateek_999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 19:31   #56
BHPian

And this keeps getting better. Sharing the experience hoping it helps others.

I had booked a test drive for a 2015 Rapid Ambition 1.5 DSG, it was listed at 8 lacs. Then it didn't make sense and cancelled the drive. When the rep called to ask, I said lack of features. I revisited the listing and was surprised to see the new sticker price - 7.55 lacs!

On yet another platform, I have been tracking a low run Duster AMT from about a month. The price has come down from 10.33 lacs to 9.88 lacs and finally to 9.59 lacs. So, unless we have the fear of missing out, playing the waiting game could help. Of course, each car and buyer is different. But, for the value conscious, this can help.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 19:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
And this keeps getting better. Sharing the experience hoping it helps others.

I had booked a test drive for a 2015 Rapid Ambition 1.5 DSG, it was listed at 8 lacs. Then it didn't make sense and cancelled the drive. When the rep called to ask, I said lack of features. I revisited the listing and was surprised to see the new sticker price - 7.55 lacs!

On yet another platform, I have been tracking a low run Duster AMT from about a month. The price has come down from 10.33 lacs to 9.88 lacs and finally to 9.59 lacs. So, unless we have the fear of missing out, playing the waiting game could help. Of course, each car and buyer is different. But, for the value conscious, this can help.
Rather the overhyped used car market is coming to senses, if I can understand it correctly. Yet to find the right level but some sense has come to the buyers' mind and now they know that they are being overcharged in the used market too.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 23:22   #58

Was just browsing the spinny website for my friend who was looking for a used car for his city run about. Just saw something really shocking. 3.5 lakh for a 9 year old santro is just not justified 2.5-2.7 would be a proper bet.
Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-screenshot-45.png
Prateek_999 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:57   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
I have had a strange and not a very happy after sale experience with Spinny. I sold my Ecosport to them in February ‘21 at a price I was satisfied with. The whole process was smooth and professionally handled. I thought I had a good run with them.

Suddenly in December ‘21 I got repeated SMS notices from the MoRTH giving me a deadline to pay off overdue challans raised against my ex-car number or appear in Court. On checking on the Maharashtra Traffic App I found 3 challans dated August, September and December’21 respectively for ₹1000 each for speeding on the Expressway registered against the car number. The car though was no longer in my ownership since February ‘21. I got in touch with Spinny and while they did not avoid me, they just could not provide me the proof that the vehicle is now transferred to a new owner. I checked on the Vahaan site by entering the vehicle number and the OTP does go to another number, I don’t know which. I am not sure if this belongs to Spinny or to some individual. Unfortunately for me I had to fly out to Toronto just at that time and am still here. I cannot chase Spinny while I’m here. I will return during the first week of February when I shall start chasing Spinny once again for the proof of transfer and details of the new owner.

To add to the strangeness of this deal, I registered a grievance on the Maharashtra Traffic App stating clearly the date of sale and the dates of the Challans. After 3-4 weeks they closed the grievance on the app with a simple comment stating “Rejected, you are liable to pay the penalty for your offence” Bizarre to say the least
The process seems to be broken and not many seem to be interested in changing it. Ideally we should not hand over the keys until the transfer is officially complete. All the more so, when we are selling to unknown people on such platforms.

There is now a purely online mode of transferring ownership through Aadhar authentication on the parivaahan website (Link for Karnataka). If the buyer and seller both agree to do Aadhar authentication it should be straightforward and not even require an RTO visit. But we don't know how it works in practice unfortunately especially for RC transfers. If anyone in the community goes through this, please share your experience.
satishk90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 20:11   #60
BHPian

A friend of mine bought a car from Spinny for about 3.5 lacs and not one rupee negotiation.
Prices are ofcourse generally higher compared to the private sellers but I guess for unsuspecting buyers they get some peace of mind buying off them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks