Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2022, 05:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: I bought a used car from Spinny

I just took a look at a 2018 Wagon R VXI+ AGS, with around 27K km on the ODO at Spinny here. The car seems to be alright. At first I was a bit cautious because I wanted a car with dual airbags and none of the specs for that year called for dual airbags and ABS as standard. Then I fished out an old brochure from somewhere where it was mentioned that pax airbag and ABS was an option (O). That apart, the car was in ok condition, although the engine seemed a bit gruff to me ( I was told this is typical of a 3 pot Wagon R). They are quoting 5.1x which seems a bit high. Its a pity that current gen Wagon R doesnt have proper rear headrests which this one does. The only negative was lack of boot space for that model, and an archaic music system, which of course cant be helped. Folks at home feel that the price differential between old and new isnt much (~2 lac).

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 22nd June 2022 at 05:58.
Old 22nd June 2022, 07:46   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I just took a look at a 2018 Wagon R VXI+ AGS, with around 27K km on the ODO at Spinny here. The car seems to be alright. At first I was a bit cautious...

Folks at home feel that the price differential between old and new isnt much (~2 lac).
True. Especially if you plan to keep the car for a while. With rising inflation, 2 lakhs is nothing. So, if you can manage the difference, go for a new car - you'll not regret it.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 14:09   #63
BHPian

Putting this here, hoping its the right thread.

I recently purchased a pre-owned Baleno Alpha CVT (2019/25700km) from Spinny. I paid 8.21 Lakhs for this vehicle. The shortlisting process has been captured in a different thread and I am putting the link here in case if anyone wants to take a look.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...ml#post5353137 (The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!)

In this post, I will just speak about my experience with the whole process

• The app clearly shows the dents/scratches on the car and highlights the visible issues
  • I opted to visit their hub, which happens to be in a mall. They had multiple vehicles and I checked out the ones I liked.
  • I find the process very simple and with minimal human interaction
  • No unnecessary calls or spam during the entire process.
  • Regular updates on Whatsapp for documentation
  • Prompt response from SA to my queries
  • They give 1 year insurance at the time of purchase. And this is in my name.
  • They claim to have serviced the vehicle when selling it to you.
  • The car is cleaned up and waxed (as per the SA) before delivery.
  • I didnt want a flat bed to come to our society, so I picked up the delivery from the HUB.
  • I paid the money through the app on 12th evening and got the delivery on 13th.
  • All documentation has been uploaded in the app and can be accessed at anytime.
  • They said the RC transfer will be done in 6-8 weeks and post that the car will show under my name.
  • They gave a couple of Spinny branded cushions, a Spinny keychain, a leather document holder and tissue box.

Dislikes
  • No negotiations whatsoever
  • Over-priced
  • Can only book 1 test drive at a time. (Would recommend to visit their hub so you can try out multiple options)
  • TD offered in the mall parking basement.
  • Need to inform them in advance if you need a TD outside on the road.
  • I had requested them to change the wiper and they promised to do it, but it was not done. Its my mistake to have not checked on this again at the time of taking the delivery

Concern
After purchase, I took the vehicle to Maruti authorized service center for a detailed check, and was shocked to hear the last service was done one year ago in 2021, and the previous owner had declined to change the engine oil, oil filters, etc. The last engine oil change as per OEM records was in 2020, at 9000KMs. When I highlighted this to the Spinny SA, he said they do the servicing in their workshop and that information will not be available with the OEM.
When I discussed this with the SA from Maruti Service Center, he suggested I change the engine oil and oil filter after 1 month of use, which I plan to do.
I paid for the front wiper blades to be changed, and everything else seems to be in order.

The insurance given is comprehensive but does not cover engine. The Spinny team said their warranty will cover engine and transmission for 1yr.
EvilZombie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 14:19   #64
BHPian

People who are planning to buy from Spinny, or other platform, please check the cost of the vehicle that time compared to the second hand vehicle. I find it is artificially very high. To give you an example, I bought Baleno petrol Alpha manual in 2017 (Oct) for 9L.

In the Spinny I see they are selling a 2016 vehicle for 7.33L which is quite insane.

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-spinny.png
amvj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 13:26   #65
BHPian

Hi,

A month-old car bought from Spinny catches fire

I bought a 2014 manufactured Grand i10 from Spinny on June 9 this year and the car caught fire on July 11 while my son was driving it due to a short circuit. It was raining heavily that night and the right-hand side fog lamp and headlamp caught fire and eventually spread to other plastic parts and wiring in the engine compartment.

Spinny helped us tow away the car to their authorized workshop (not a Hyundai workshop). Till 14 July, though I kept calling them regularly, I was not told about which workshop. I was under the impression that it would be a Hyundai workshop. Finally, I got to know of the workshop name on 15 July and visited the workshop on 16 July.

They have prepared an estimate. The bill comes to 75,000 for repairs. The insurance is from Acko. The insurance guys tell me that I might have to take a depreciation hit of 50% of the bill.

This is totally unacceptable. I have not made any modifications to the headlights or the car. Spinny says that they have a 200 point inspection. This is what they say about inspection on their website:

Every Spinny car is carefully handpicked. In addition to being in excellent driving condition and transparent history, it must pass our strict two hundred-point quality inspection. Only 1 out of every 20 cars we inspect make it to our car hubs.
https://www.spinny.com/spinny-assured/

I am talking to Spinny. But they are not saying anything so far.
How should I proceed with this? Does filing a consumer court case for negligent service from Spinny make sense if they refuse to pay the repair bill?

Thank you!

Last edited by pradkumar : 21st July 2022 at 13:30.
pradkumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 14:57   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek_999 View Post

The only thing I was skeptical was the old car having such a low reading on the odo, but I checked the tires and they had date similar to the year of manufacturing of the car (sigh of relief). I got a photo of the RC from spinny and got it checked from the Maruti service center. The reading was genuine, and the vehicle was non-accidental. And on that day, I decided to purchase the car.
Hello. I am in the process of buying a Crysta from Spinny. Unfortunately in my case, Lakozy Toyota is unable to share the service record until the car is purchased. Any tips I can use to get this information? Would very much appreciate guidance. Thanks in advance
sam_babushka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 16:19   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Every Spinny car is carefully handpicked. In addition to being in excellent driving condition and transparent history, it must pass our strict two hundred-point quality inspection. Only 1 out of every 20 cars we inspect make it to our car hubs.
What a stupid quote from Spinny. It just means that 19 of the 20 sellers reject Spinny's offer
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 23:32   #68
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_babushka View Post
Hello. I am in the process of buying a Crysta from Spinny. Unfortunately in my case, Lakozy Toyota is unable to share the service record until the car is purchased. Any tips I can use to get this information? Would very much appreciate guidance. Thanks in advance
Is it possible that you connect with the current registered owner either via Spinny or directly, and get the existing owner to put in a request for the records? Have done this in the past and owners never had a problem if they knew I was serious.

Typically dealers (correctly) hand over service records only to the owner.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 10:51   #69
BHPian

Thanks. I am trying to get the details from Spinny. They have shown me the service record, however it's on excel and I would rather get the details from the horse's mouth
Old 16th September 2022, 16:50   #70

Quote:
You can try approaching different service centers , or go with any of your friend who already owns a Toyota so that they can pull some strings to get the info of the car.
Old 16th September 2022, 18:10   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
People who are planning to buy from Spinny, or other platform, please check the cost of the vehicle that time compared to the second hand vehicle. I find it is artificially very high. To give you an example, I bought Baleno petrol Alpha manual in 2017 (Oct) for 9L.

In the Spinny I see they are selling a 2016 vehicle for 7.33L which is quite insane.
Spinny used car selling prices are simply too high. On an average I have seen they charge a premium of almost one lakh rupees for any particular used car model. And no amount of negotiation helps.
Strangely this does not seem to deter people from buying, by paying these inflated prices, for 2nd hand cars! And I guess this emboldens Spinny further into not pricing their used vehicles closer to the recommended depreciated value.
arjab is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 22:12   #72
BHPian

Is there a site which maintains historical car prices so that we can compare it with what likes of spinny are offering. For example if they have put up a car (x variant) registration year 2019 then, we can deduce whether it is a fair price or not by comparing it with its original on-road price.
Old 17th September 2022, 00:58   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Spinny used car selling prices are simply too high. On an average I have seen they charge a premium of almost one lakh rupees for any particular used car model. And no amount of negotiation helps.
I helped my father-in-law sell his 2012 i10 (in excellent condition and just 18K on the odo) to Spinny. The selling-to-Spinny experience was excellent. I knew I was going to get about 20-30K less than what I could get, had I waited it out looking for buyers. However - we simply don't have the time and the patience to go through countless (and sometimes silly or even dangerous in today's world) buyers for this. The convenience offered by Spinny trumped it.

We sold the car to Spinny at 2.5L. And - it is on sale on Spinny within a week, looking like new - at 2.99L. And - the insurance of our car expired on the day of sale to Spinny. So they had to get it done, probably a new battery is put in it looking at the pictures, consumables must have been replaced. Excellent cleaning, involvement of 2-3 different people during evaluation, quote, payment & car pick-up process.

All included - Spinny is charging about 50K over the purchase price, and selling it with a 1 year engine+GB warranty & 3 month comprehensive warranty. I think it is absolutely fine. Thats not a huge margin that they are making, given the infra, maintenance & people costs involved on the inventory. At least thats my experience and opinion. And 2 cents .

Buying - I don't know as I'll generally buy only from known circles and close contact people. But for sale of a used car - I think as long as Spinny exists - that's where I'll send my used cars. No matter if I get a bit less money.

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th September 2022 at 01:02.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 01:07   #74
One
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I am trying to get the details from Spinny. They have shown me the service record, however it's on excel and I would rather get the details from the horse's mouth
Toyota's records do indeed come in an Excel in a format which seems to be done by a Kindergarten kid typing randomly on a typewriter. They are not confidence inspiring for sure. Am just wondering if you go to the Lakozy you mentioned and do the reverse i.e just ask them to confirm if the records you have is genuine (assuming you can't connect with the owner)
One is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 19:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhokal View Post
Is there a site which maintains historical car prices
OrangeBookValue gives a more or less good estimation of your used car's value. I guess with that you can compare with some websites which have past new car values. But more than five years old, i do not know of any Indian website storing historical values for Indian models.

Most Viewed