Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2022, 15:20   #1

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny

Hello to all the esteemed members of the forum this is my first thread in this forum, and I would like to share the experience of buying a car from Spinny

Choosing a car
It began in the year 2020 Jan, requirement was a car that would ply 95 percent in a city for occasional high way use. I started exploring options. But unfortunately, lock down was declared.
I made the car search a part of my WFH. Initial idea was to get a beater car (in a decent condition) for about 2.5 lakhs as this would be the first car I would be getting for myself.

The Used car market of Hyderabad
I had been following the used car market in Hyderabad since a long time, and when I got into it fully, oh my god it was such a mess. I went to the Maruti true Value, cars there were in an extremely bad shape. I saw an alto k 10 which had around 35k clicks on the odo, and the dealer quoted a whooping 3.2 lakh for it. (negotiable). I asked him about the dents the car had, he replied “sir once you finalize the car we can talk about the works and price”. And next I asked about the warranty, they said it will just be a word of mouth and nothing in written, this was the case with 3 to 4 dealers and then I dropped the idea of Maruti true value.

Next, I visited the used car dealers in a place called Madhapur (people from hyd can relate to), and there began the real game. I visited a dealer, he noted my requirement in his note book, showed me some cars, I was not so satisfied and walked away. Later I received 50+ phone calls from Various dealers. So, what happens here is they have a what’s app group in which they post the customer’s budget and requirements and circulate it within themselves.

After getting so many calls I visited few of the dealerships, and inspected the vehicles that I liked. Found a swift which had an odo reading of 50k km , a santro, a honda city and an i 10. The swift and I 10 were overpriced. He quoted 5.9 lakhs for the 2015 Swift Vxi. When I refused and walked till the gate he was ready to finalize it for 5.00 lakhs. I did not utter a word and left. I took the number and got it checked, it was last serviced at 76k km and had 50 k clicks on the odo. This was a case with three to four local dealers. They offer no warranty or any thing once they hand you over the vehicle, they are done. I was completely dejected and decided to go in for a new car.

The following options were considered for buying a new car after a detailed car search:
1) Alto 800 , k 10
2) Celerio
3) Kwid

Took a test ride of all the there. Kwid 0.8 L was just not up to the expectations. Celerio had a 4 month wait and k 10 was out of production and no stock left . Only option left was the Alto 800. I was told by the dealer in Hyd ( Somajuguda) that the vehicle would be ready in week.

The car procurement:

And finally, one day I came across a website called “Spinny”. It is a company based out of Delhi, now a big chain which is spread over many cities. I went through their website and found the cars to be in a a really good shape and they were offering one-year warranty on all their cars.

I decided to pay a visit to the dealership. This was a totally different experience; their office was located in a mall and their inventory was in a basement. People there were really professional, to be honest I never got such hospitality even in few premium showrooms. I told them my budget and they me showed me a set of cars. All the cars were in pristine shape which is usually not the case for the dealers who sell ordinary mass market used cars. After going through the inventory, I saw a 2012 Dzire VXI which did about 25000 km. They happily offered me a test drive, I told them I wanted to take out of the basement to get the correct over view the sales man was very professional and polite yet slightly hesitant but finally agreed. Over all I was very much satisfied with the car.

Later I told the sales person that I am ok with the car, but will get it checked from the A.S.S records. They did not refuse, I booked the car by paying INR 10,000. Good part with these people is the booking money is refundable unlike other local dealers where they just rob the money in case you do not finalize the deal.

The only thing I was skeptical was the old car having such a low reading on the odo, but I checked the tires and they had date similar to the year of manufacturing of the car (sigh of relief). I got a photo of the RC from spinny and got it checked from the Maruti service center. The reading was genuine, and the vehicle was non-accidental. And on that day, I decided to purchase the car.

I called up spinny and said I will be taking the car. I decided to go for a car loan, spinny offered the best deal from HDFC compared to what I was getting outside. Next morning the finance person turned up at my door step for documentation , loan was approved by afternoon. And spinny was ready to deliver the car the same day. Woohoo that was really fast. But I wanted to take the car delivery on exactly after 2 days (June 16) as it was my late grandfather’s birthday.

Delivery experience
There comes the final day. I wanted to personally take the delivery but was occupied with work completely. I requested the sales person if they could deliver the car to my place, they were more than happy to do it. The sales person himself arrived at my door step with the car and all the documentation and RC transfer was looked after by them.

Pros and cons of Spinny

Pros:
1) One-year Warranty: 3-month comprehensive which includes electrical parts as well and the rest includes warranty for engine and transmission)
2) Certified Vehicles: They give an entire health report of the vehicle in their website along with the dent map wind shield chipping etc.
3) Professional experience: Mentioned about the way they treat customers.
4) Transparency: No of previous owners is mentioned .
5) Proper documentation: I was given a 10 pages of paper work about the warranty and the way it works making things clear.
6) Hassle free purchase even for people who are not aware of cars as most of the cars were in good shape.
7) Money back within 5 days of purchase or 200 km ( which ever is earlier) in case you are not happy with the car

Cons:
1) Fixed price what so ever
2) Prices are about 5 to 10 percent dearer compared to the local market.
3) Test drive is mostly in the basement of the mall which makes inspection a task.

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-anyconv.com__0f368d8c0b63432ab70777ced64c1f83-copy.jpg

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-339e279c3e9348978af26eb21eace2f7copy.jpg

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-anyconv.com__8a9a6b0415d9438e9bb073998837aae5-1.jpg

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-anyconv.com__a79f0515ca344a518458401c8332b7ed.jpg

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-anyconv.com__5f7b1388b08744f7b85716f09b3e9f0e.jpg

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-anyconv.com__813fcbf57e654242adbd65446fafd7fc.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th January 2022 at 09:12. Reason: formatted for better readability
Prateek_999 is offline   (89) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 10:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: I bought a used car from Spinny

Good review . Thanks for sharing. The entry of organised players into the fragmented used car market is good, especially those who have their operations running like a well-oiled machine. Heard good things about Spinny from a fellow Moderator - their staff, call center experience and inspection was superior to the others. They actually rejected his car because it didn't meet the quality criteria (was an old beater car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek_999 View Post
Prices are about 5 to 10 percent dearer compared to the local market.
You anyway save a lot by going the pre-owned way, so a 5 - 10% premium for a smoother experience is nothing. In fact, for most of my used cars, I have paid a premium for the car I really liked.
GTO is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 10:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

My experience with Spinny was excellent too - but I was the seller. Sold my 2011 A-star AT with 45,000 kms on the clock for around Rs. 2.3L. A friend of mine sold his old i20 via Spinny too.

PROS:

- Online quote software is quite accurate. You will be offered the "online quote" price, give or take a few thousands.
- Evaluation is done at home. No need to go to a dealership like Cars24 or OLX cars.
- After evaluation, you will get an offer on phone within 24 hours. This quote is valid for a week
- Funds are transferred online
- Driver will come home and pick up the car

CONS:

- Offer is more or less fixed. No room for negotiations
- Ultra thorough evaluation and test drive. Technician takes almost 1.5 hours (including photography time)
- Nervous feeling handing over the keys to a stranger while he checks the car (I stayed with the car though)

So I was chatting with the technician about HOW SPINNY WORKS:

- Once a car is purchased, they fix any minor cosmetic issues and get it serviced
- Car bought for Rs. 2L is likely to have a sticker price of Rs. 3L
- Customer always negotiates while purchasing an used car. So a Rs. 2L car might eventually be sold for Rs. 2.85L or 2.9L
- Small cars are generally sold within 30 days
- If a car is not sold within 30 days, they slash the sticker price by 10% every month.
- Beyond a certain time period, if a car is not sold, they cut their losses by selling it to an used car dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They actually rejected his car because it didn't meet the quality criteria (was an old beater car).
In Bangalore, if a car does not meet Spinny minimum requirements, the lead is transferred to their sister company called TRUEBIL. They accept all cars.
https://inc42.com/buzz/spinny-acquir...-cars-segment/

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th January 2022 at 11:09.
SmartCat is online now   (58) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 11:08   #4
BHPian

Sharing my Spinny experience. Around October 2021 wanted a decent SUV after experiencing the ever deteriorating roads in Bengaluru with my sedan (Ford Fiesta DCT).

Checked out and reserved (by paying Rs.10000) a used 2017 Hyundai Tucson Automatic which though it looked and drove decent, the VFM quotient was not that great and so cancelled the reservation. Full marks for Spinny to immediately refund the money to my original payment option.

Pre-Delivery: Then identified a used 2017 Tata Hexa XTA (1st Owner) and test drove it (they came home and gave a decently long test drive) after which I identified a few issues like less cooling in AC, wheel alignment issues (pulling left) and other minor issues. Was promised that everything will be rectified before delivery, hence reserved the vehicle by paying Rs.10000 again. Got the full service history for the car from Spinny and also the latest insurance copy (to check IDV and NCB)
After about a week later got confirmation that all the issues were addressed, informed them that I will pay the balance only after inspection and test drive to which they agreed. Inspection was good and I paid the balance and collected the vehicle on the same day. Vehicle was fully washed and vacuumed before delivery (Nov 6th). Will give them 9/10 for pre-delivery experience.

Post-delivery: During routine engine bay check after a couple of days noticed that the brake oil reservoir cap was broken and some oil had spilled. Raised it to my RM who in turn redirected me to the Spinny workshop which thankfully was near-by. The cap was replaced and oil topped up without any questions or charges.

Drove for a couple of runs in Bengaluru and also near-by places and also used the car for a long drive (about 2600 Kms) during the Christmas weekend and it was a comfortable drive. Post the drive started noticing that the gear lever was not slotting into the Parking mode and needed a hard push (which was really painful to execute for a car lover) from Drive mode. Took it to KHT Motors the Tata ASS near-by to diagnose as the vehicle is in extended warranty till Dec-22. The ASS was full and was told to get the vehicle 1st week of Jan-22. Then contacted Spinny who after inspection told that they don't have the necessary expertise (so much for their 1-year transmission warranty) to fix it in their workshop and its best to get it rectified in Tata ASS.

Gave the car to KHT Motors on January 4th for the gear lever problem and also for annual service (to keep the extended warranty intact). The ASS after diagnosis informed that the gear lever assembly has to be changed (cost Rs.85000) and will take it up with Tata for honoring extended warranty.

Current situation: Car is still in KHT Motors, warranty replacement is approved but since the part is not in stock they have to order it and are not sure when the part will be available.

So far, a mixed bag experience with Spinny. I feel for minor issues they are equipped to support post-sales but for anything major we are left to fend for ourselves. Hence my advice is 'Caveat Emptor'.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-img20211107wa0037.jpg  

Last edited by anandtheleo : 11th January 2022 at 11:10.
anandtheleo is online now   (55) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 11:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek_999 View Post
Cons:
1) Fixed price what so ever
2) Prices are about 5 to 10 percent dearer compared to the local market.
3) Test drive is mostly in the basement of the mall which makes inspection a task.
1) True so far in my experience
2) I have noticed more than 10% difference when compared to local dealers. It could be an exceptional case though due to high demand these days.
3) TDs are available at home too and longer TDs are also possible. I was given a TD at home and the car came 25Kms away from my home. I was also given unlimited time to check the car and drove it on highway too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post

- Customer always negotiates while purchasing an used car. So a Rs. 2L car might eventually be sold for Rs. 2.85L or 2.9L
- Small cars are generally sold within 30 days
- If a car is not sold within 30 days, they slash the sticker price by 10% every month.
- Beyond a certain time period, if a car is not sold, they cut their losses by selling it to an used car dealer.
Haven't seen them negotiating at present atleast. Hope it does happen as I am looking for another car now.
sunilch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 12:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

*SNIP*
Thank you for this review. One question: In the case quoted, did they mention anything about how much of follow-up would be required from the seller's side to make sure that ownership is transferred and that the car is not used in a way that makes the seller liable in any way?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 12:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Thank you for this review. One question: In the case quoted, did they mention anything about how much of follow-up would be required from the seller's side to make sure that ownership is transferred and that the car is not used in a way that makes the seller liable in any way?
Actually, this is one thing I forgot to ask. But after a couple of months, I looked up VAAHAN to see if ownership was transferred. I did NOT get any email/SMS notification from Spinny.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 17:18   #8

My experience as a Seller to Spinny in Pune (March 2021).

Wanted to sell spouse's Maruti Alto VXI (Registration: Nov 2016) just before the vehicle crossed 5 years. ODO reading was approx 10K Kms. Daily running of the vehicle was around 8 kms only (home to office and back).

Maruti dealer from whom the car was purchased quoted about 1 Lakh INR through Maruti Truevalue. Other used car dealers were offering only marginally higher prices.

Parallelly, we were also in touch with Honda and Hyundai to get an exchange discount. Honda offered ~ 2 Lakhs, Hyundai offered ~2.3 Lakhs.

Still not happy with these numbers, I saw Spinny ad on Facebook and approached them. Appointment was scheduled as per our availability at home (offices are in Magarpatta). One person came to inspect vehicle and paper work, post his go ahead, a driver came for TD.
After a few more back and fros, within couple of hours, we were offered 2.8 Lakhs for a 5 year old vehicle (nearly sticker price for a new car).
The second lockdown in Pune was about to start (March 2021), hence Spinny guys moved rapidly as they wanted to close the deal. 2.3 Lakhs was transferred by evening, with 50K held back till we provided bank NOC. A driver came and took the vehicle next afternoon. After clearing pending car loan and providing NOC, the rest of the 50K was released to us same day.
The process was smooth through out, with only hiccup being the car transfer taking few months (understandable considering the lockdown). We called up Spinny and understood car was not yet sold. In November'21, Spinny guys called up to get a Vahaan OTP from spouse and we understood RC transfer is in progress, few days later Vahaan showed different owner. All in all, experience as a seller was great.
satyakidas is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 22:11   #9
BHPian

I recently interacted with Spinny for purchasing a used car. The purchase did not happen however the experience was decent.
I had shortlisted a 2017 GLS Tucson and was asked to visit VR mall. The experience over the phone was good.
Visited the VR mall the next day and Spinny had a nice office there on the 2nd floor. It was crowded in the morning. Most of the people were browsing the cars there and shortlisting. In my case, I had already short-listed and did not want to look at anything else. The salesperson did not seem enthusiastic and after a while was asked to go to the basement and check the car. After searching for the sometime in the basement, I could find the area where spinny cars are parked. There was one person and when I asked him about the car, I was told to go to their office. Anyways without bothering further with the person, I could locate the car. Looking at the exterior, I could figure out that it was not the GLS as mentioned in the ad but the GL version. Conveyed the same to spinny and did not proceed further.
This is a problem while buying a used car where the sellers mislead by mentioning a higher variant especially for the earlier version since most buyers will not have the exact variant distribution that was published a few years ago. Going through the exhaustive team-bhp reviews and the forum discussion can help in such cases.
Meph1st0 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 22:45   #10
BANNED

Glad to know of relatively easy purchase of a used car on Spinny. They advertise regularly on the radio, and I have always wondered if it is possible to have a reliable purchase of a used car.

I can look at used cars on Spinny with some more confidence. If the prices are non-negotiable, it is a downer for me.

Thank you for sharing.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 23:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post

So far, a mixed bag experience with Spinny. I feel for minor issues they are equipped to support post-sales but for anything major we are left to fend for ourselves. Hence my advice is 'Caveat Emptor'.

True, at the end a used car is a used car, there is no second thought on that, hence thorough inspection is needed however good the dealer or the seller is
Prateek_999 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 08:38   #12
BHPian

My recent experience with Spinny,

I had shortlisted 2017 Jazz VX model run ~28K kms, reviewed online and was fine with mentioned condition. Online, i mentioned that i would like to have test-drive and mentioned that test drive at home location with GPS location, and address clearly mentioned.
Somebody called prabhakar or prakash from spinny called and asked me to come to one of there malls. I refused saying that website says 'Home Test drive' is allowed. He reluctantly agreed, that irks me is that, he kept on insisting me multiple whether i,am buying the car and when. I told spinny guy, depends on condition and test drive of car. Next fun part begins.
Home TD was scheduled well in advance next day at around 11.00 AM. Nobody calls and turns up until 2.30 PM following day, this guy has says he can bring the car. during evening times By then, i lost interest and don't trust these guys, if this is experience before buying, wondering what happens once money is exchanged.
Unprofessional guys, but they are transparent Alteast in website about condition of car, people who interface with customer are unprofessional and don't provide good experience. Spinny looks like is more about hype and less of good experience on buying used car .Some how these guys are only interested in selling of cars irrespective whether customer likes or wants to do test drive or perceives the car in person.
In Second hand market, one wrong or bad experience points to loss of trust. Better to buy new ones, even it costs extra and have a peace of mind.
As people above suggests, spinny will wash its hands off for big problems (if they come).
Frankly I had hopes on Spinny, entire episode is totally disappointing at best.
navrddy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 12:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
- Evaluation is done at home. No need to go to a dealership like Cars24 or OLX cars.
Cars24 as well does home inspection, we recently sold our Wagon R to them, it was a seamless process all done sitting at home.

Had initially contacted Spinny but their quote was similar to what local dealers were offering, Cars24 offered us ~7% more, after some negotiations final amount offered was 10% higher then Spinny, we closed the deal immediately.

I found the initial experience with Spinny and Cars24 comparable, both of them inspected my vehicle in detail and provided a detailed report of it, was a good experience seeing them inspecting the vehicle, got a few things to learn from them that can help incase i am looking out for a used vehicle myself.

Good to have such organized operators enter the business, helps avoiding the headache associated in dealing with the local used car mafia.
Gaur is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 15:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, this is one thing I forgot to ask. But after a couple of months, I looked up VAAHAN to see if ownership was transferred. I did NOT get any email/SMS notification from Spinny.
I got a SMS after 4 months stating the vehicle transfer is completed.
PS : I was a seller twice.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 10:49   #15
BHPian

I had a pretty not too good experience with Cars24. I had a 2018 Ford Aspire TDCi ODO 28K and I was offered a meagre 4L as price towards buy by Cars24. I reached out to a Honda dealer and got a good decent price of 5.5L. Such huge price variance was unexplained. Again that's story for another day towards my regret for selling my Ford and going for City.
SeshSrini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed