Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2022, 12:17   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Online used car aggregators and their illusion of transparency

I would like to add one minor point regarding transfer of vehicle while selling an automobile.

If selling to an individual buyer:
1. Take a copy of his/her Aadhar card, DL or Voter ID Card if possible.
2. Do NOT skip a written “sale deed” on a Rs500 stamp paper. Do NOT skip this even if you apply for transfer of ownership and make the sale inside RTO office.
3. The wordings of sale deeds are available with most notary. Just add one point that if the buyer does not initiate the transfer of ownership within 30 days after purchase, the seller has a right to contact RTO office and get the registration of the said vehicle cancelled in the seller’s name.

I have done this the last time I sold the bike to a dealer. The dealer told he has a ready customer so its not a problem if I mention 30 days. The bike was transferred in less than 20 days.

The sale deed is sort of a legal agreement between two parties and is to be executed on a Rs500 stamp paper (atleast here in PB, HR, RJ).

We have sold 5 two wheelers and 1 car till date and we have never omitted the written agreement part. While my father would simply do it on a piece of paper or affix a stamp to it from a Notary, I have always (two times) opted for the proper sale deed.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 19:23   #62
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am currently in process of buying a used car through Cars24. I know these aggregators can’t be trusted however I am not able to find a car of my liking with an individual. It’s become really difficult to find a car with individuals these days. The car in question is a 2020 model ford Ecosport AT. I booked the car took a test drive and got the car checked through one of the service centers in my city. All was well with the car. I was asked to make a minimum payment of 25K to reserve the car while I arrange my finances. I made the payment and it took me three day to get the finances ready. I didn’t opt for a car loan through Cars24. Now I released a payment of 5 lacs to Cars24. I was supposed to take the delivery of the car on Sunday (30th January). A quick search on Vahan showed the car was under lease through a leasing company. I asked for the NOC on 27th. I was told that it should be with their accounts department and they will procure it and send it to me. Two days passed and no signs of NOC. I was told on 29th that NOC will take 45 days. I requested for a payment receipt from the leasing company or a foreclosure letter. But nothing was produced. 30th morning I was requested to take the delivery stating that I can anyways return the car in 7 days if I have issues. I told the gentleman that I want to keep the car and I don’t want to be in situation where you have not provided me with the documents and I want to keep the car but have to return since return period is getting over. I got a call from their senior leadership requesting me to take the delivery of the car and they assured me that RC transfer will be taken care of by them and they will procure the NOC and get the RC transferred and if they are unable to get that done I can return the car to them. I refused and put my foot down that delivery will happen only when documents are presented to me. I am yet to get an update from them about the NOC or payment receipt. Did anyone of you got the NOC at the time of purchase through these aggregators?

Last edited by nik0502 : 1st February 2022 at 19:24.
nik0502 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 09:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

I haven't been able to reply on this thread or some DMs mainly because I was unwell towards the start of February and then work was hectic. I was contacted by a few ex-employees & current employees from these aggregators. These calls weren't official but on a personal note. Some of the ex-employees opened up about a lot of other things too. Especially the ones who are technically sound have a tough time.

I was made aware that some of the aggregators run ads on the forum and this thread might not have gone well for them. I could clearly see it with the social media posts from the forum's handle on spinny experiences. Anyway, I am glad this stays and maybe it's time to think on giving the team bhp classifieds a different meaning. A car inspection facility for the listed cars can help both the consumers and the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak556 View Post

I once tried to sell an Ashok Leyland Tipper and in a span of 4-5 days was escalated till sales head for Maharashtra because this vehicle was not in their database. Goes to show sales is run by dummies who know nothing of the industry.
Why am I not surprised. Once I was told there is a Vitara for sale. I specifically asked, petrol grand Vitara?(this was before 2020 so no petrol brezza). These people were very confident and the car was a brezza ldi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
I was wondering how come such a thread didn't exist and Bam
Congratulations on the ecosport. Your experience basically attests that no certification works. The car geniunely needs to be checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki272 View Post
This post was exactly what i was looking for considering i am looking to get a pre-worshipped one soon.
I will be very honest with you but the forum under the pre-worshipped banner has given the used car business a different meaning altogether. Used cars do come with a compromise. It can be with respect to scratches or age or running repairs or the number of owners but the value proposition is subjective. The key is to have reasonable expectations and do your homework. Don't reject a car because the suspension needs attention, it's a running repair. I have seen people pick up flood-affected cars over cars that require running repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks a lot for the insider's story and the very succinct narrative of the now flourishing used car aggregators.
The melas were exactly how the current set of aggregators work. Only thing that has changed is the digital interface. The nuisance continues. Two days back a relative got me in touch regarding his neighbour's i20. It was picked up used with n number of check points done. He has spent close to 45k since it was picked up. The issues still haven't stopped. The ODO was rolled back on a petrol car. The current estimate is about 25k. He is really frustrated pumping money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishith View Post
Excellent thread and at the right time for me.
Incorrect data on the RC is beyond anyone's control. If you want to make it right, get the original invoice and have the rto correct it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I was selling my Jetta, got a lakh more than what C24 offered to a direct buyer - patience is the key and there is always a right buyer for a good and honest car!
This is exactly the reason why the so-called hot sellers are stuck with dealers for months. It starts with the pricing and even if that is right some or the other goof up can ruin it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post
Glad to find this thread.
A used CNG vehicle is always a risky proposition. Unfortunately, CNG cars in most cases are thoroughly abused and the upkeep isn't right. When I was working in the used car industry, I had a thumbrule- no Mumbai cars. Especially for the Pune clients. It doesn't stop at rusting but most body work related jobs be it minor or major are poorly executed in mumbai. There are a few workshops who do a good job but most people get jugaad type of denting & painting done and the climate doesn't help the case. To top it off, every year during monsoons one can easily find water logged roads and societies which lead to flood affected. It was too much of an hassle to maximise margins. Yes mumbai cars are relatively cheap but unless I know the car or the history is clear, i am definitely not going to consider them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
I want to go a little off topic and talk about aggregators in general.
Perfectly put. I know a few restaurants in Pune who do not cater to swiggy or Zomato primarily because of their typical nuisance. As much as it shows the increase in business but to keep the costs under control either the service provider or the consumer have to take the hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pras92003 View Post
Excellent thread, Asit. I am planning to sell my Baleno 2018 Zxi manual
Nothing can help you till the vehicle is actually transferred. Those individuals that you talk about, please recheck if they are actually individuals and not brokers or agents who act as individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post
So coming to sell cars, if you sell it to an Individual, to take a few copies of his ADHAR & PAN Card.
After doing this the OP will have to visit the RTO once as the RTO will blacklist the car. This has happened with a fellow Bhpian recently who bought a car from Mumbai. The seller did the same thing and the car was blacklisted by the RTO. Eventually, it took one visit and some money for an agent to sort it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenkkr View Post
I had sold my car 5 years back on OLX.
Facebook marketplace works well. You can also post on other channels like cartrade or carwale. The biggest issue on olx ads are the continuous calls you get from olx autos. The algorithm makes sure your ad stays down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer05 View Post
IMO these aggregators are a double edged sword. In recent past, I was looking for a used automatic for my wife and following are observations/experiences
Your experience says it all. Recently, a friend was looking at a 2020 Polo TSi AT in Pune. The price was good but something seemed off. It was listed on truebill. Got the car inspected and scanning threw in errors around the fuel pump. They were cleared but something didn't seem right. Got the history checked and the car had its gearbox replaced due to an accident. It had a total of 5 visits apart from scheduled servicing for running repairs. Gave it a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
When it comes to Spinny, I usually look at the following image, before the car is inspected. There buyback guarantee price usually gives a hint if the car is reasonably overpriced or horribly overpriced.
Hahaha! That's a good find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I was in market for a new first car but still was just looking at Team BHP classified
Dealer listings have been a part of the forum for a long time. If Team-BHP can somehow work on the inspection of listed cars then nothing like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I would like to add one minor point regarding transfer of vehicle while selling an automobile.
Given the new OTP system, it's best to sit with an agent for 5 minutes. Upload the docs, share the OTP and sign the transfer papers on the delivery day. They can be submitted asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I am currently in process of buying a used car through Cars24.
NOC business is tricky with aggregators. Primarily because barring 1-2 people, others have no technical or legal knowledge about this business. If you have gotten it sorted good otherwise get in touch with the leasing company on your own.

Mod Note - Please quote only relevant portions while replying. Also proofread posts before submission, Thanks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st March 2022 at 10:02. Reason: Trimmed quoted posts and spell errors.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 19:10   #64
BHPian

Really unprofessional. Most of the cars I see listed on their website has low fuel and they advertise home test drive and other stuff! Some of them have low fuel warning on and others have a single bar. Do they expect potential customers taking test drives to pitch in or want to keep the test drive to a bare minimum distance? And fuel pumps can get damaged if air gets in there and fuel itself is a fuel pump heat dissipater.
Attached Thumbnails
Online used car aggregators and their illusion of transparency-yqif7cxfktt81.jpg  

stallmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 20:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

An acquaintance I met after a long time casually mentioned that he works with one of these online aggregators as a Sales Executive.

Upon a little friendly prodding, he disclosed that he is paid ₹33,000/- per month as fixed salary and that each successful sale gets him a ₹5,000/- incentive. Times being good, he (said) manages 8-10 sales and takes home a cool ₹70,000/- plus every month.

I asked him about the condition of the cars and the profit margins and was told that apart from very high mileage and accident vehicles, they take in cars of all shapes, sizes and segments. Though they (try to) refurbish them and sell them off at a minimum of ₹50,000/- profit, at times the margin is as small as ₹10,000 too.

One thing he was vehement about was that his firm NEVER indulges in or endorses tampering of the odometer.

His perception of his customers was interesting: majority of them were first time buyers and very less knowledgeable about cars in general. He did mention the occasional discerning buyer who would inspect the car with such precision and in so much detail that the company bosses would get tired of them quickly and try to pack them off as soon as possible. They are seen as liabilities; there are far too many gullible fishes in the car-pool to be worried about the nagging ninjas.
dailydriver is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 09:56   #66
Senior - BHPian

Spinny - Time wasting business model

Hi Guys,

After 4 years of ownership, I was considering an upgrade and hence thought I will sell off my car first (as I have only one parking).

I have posted the same on Team BHP Classified and no other platform. (https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...gen/Polo.html/) I just checked the price estimate on Spinny which was 1.8 to 2.1 Lakhs. Then I started getting bombarded on my phone by their executives, after 10s of calls, I finally spoke to one and agreed to show the car.

I had told the team that please do the visit if you are gonna offer me above 2.5 as I already have a 2.5 lakhs offer to which they said that "sir, if the car is in condition, you will definitely get best offer".

The executive came and analyzed my car, for about an hour. Praised my car and the condition of everything (my car is immaculately maintained and the only feedback he had was, "sir, tyre mein jyada hawa hai.", We corrected that during the test drive.

After that I received no call for a day. When I checked with the person who evaluated the car, he followed up with his team and then I got a call with an offer of 1.3 lakhs. I gave that person a nice feedback and hung up.

What I dont understand is, why are people doing business with such a horrible company which is nothing but a "Used car dealer pretending to be professional"

There is absolutely no benefit of doing business with such a company which has no respect for the timing of people.

If this was a dealer, and I had told him that I had a 2.5 offer, he would have immediately told me, "Sir, hum nahi de payenge itna, aap karlo deal".

Spinny and Cars24 and others are basically doing the following
  1. Pretending to be professional and operating like run-off-the-mill local car dealers
  2. Marketing best price, when they are actually more predatory than local dealers
  3. Absolutely wasting 1 hour when their "checks" have no factor in the pricing. My car is immaculately maintained with zero squeeks. Everything important maintained or replaced with new parts, not a single scratch on the car.

I am just thinking of all the people they have duped so far, people who dont understand the used car market.

What has been your experience in terms of buy-price on Spinny or Cars24?
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 10:14   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spinny - Time wasting business model

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
After 4 years of ownership, I was considering an upgrade and hence thought I will sell off my car first (as I have only one parking).
Hope you had read this post/thread (Online used car aggregators and their illusion of transparency).
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 10:23   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I had forgotten, I in fact have a comment there which is consistent with the sentiment above.

Glad to see my views have only been reinforced!

One thing I am very sad to see is, there is absolutely no posting from individuals you can find on P2P platforms like OLX. The dealers have completely taken over the platforms.

@Mods - I think we should be a platform for real P2P. There is tremendous scope for this as a business also.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 11th September 2023 at 10:28.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 10:32   #69
BHPian

Personal Incident which happened yesterday

I bought a Bolero Neo in March 2023 - for use at the farm , the floods wiped out the approach road and I dont think even post the repairs will allow a 2 wheel drive to climb the steep gradient .

so I decided to sell it off - called spinny .

They told me that there will be a minimum of 15% hair cut on the ex showroom price
I asked them on the rationale behind this , since whenever you go to buy a car from them they always quote the on road price as the reference - They had no answer , except mumbling something about company policy .

The local dealer offered me a price which was 50k more than spinny .

However last year, I did sell my useless polo to cars24 , at a fair price - so there is a upside when you are really trying to get rid of some of our junk , thier so called inspection process could not make out the clear rod knock , or the lifters making a horrendous racket , so much for the fancy inspectors using meters for everything .
Old 11th September 2023, 10:36   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have sold two cars via Cars24 and Spinny. They are like usual car dealers with different model. While Cars24 auctions their cars to their network of dealers like Cartrade etc and sell it as is, Spinny purchases the car and spruces them if needed.

They will always start a quote at a lower level and if you stand firm and if your car is in demand/ in case they have ready customer, you can bargain for higher price.

There are many good experiences and some have had not so good experiences.

When you sell a car, you have to have patience to negotiate for a best deal.
Old 11th September 2023, 10:36   #71
BHPian

Quote:

What happened with you is a few people in the value chain of Spinny accomplishing their targets without customer satisfaction. The cold calling person had to bring in a customer and the person who came to check your car had to complete a visit.

Not generalizing, but car aggregators will mostly work only in the following scenarios.

1. You are in a hurry to sell and not ready to haggle with individual buyers or your neighborhood aggregator (who isn't present on digital channels). This is when you are are relocating to different country, or bought a new car with parking constraints
2. When the documentation of the car is not perfect
3. When the condition of the car is not great
4. Well, some people assume that Spinny or other aggregators does RTO registration instantly. In reality, all they do is just give a declaration that they are responsible for the car and will register ONLY when they close the deal with next buyer
5. Or, who isnt aware of the prices in the used market or the process to sell the car
6. Finally, if you are planning for a purchase from the same aggregator by selling of your car

For all other scenarios, its best advised to deal with your neighborhood aggregator who isn't planning for holding but focus on selling off the car and make a good margin for himself. The holding cost is the major deterrent for the seller when dealing with these new-age car aggregators. If you want to really get a good deal and have the appetite to go through the process, Olx is the best way and focus has to be on individual buyers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks