Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 12:16   #91
BHPian

Now with Chrysler filing for protection,I think it's the best time for Mahindra do acquire the rights/technology for Chrysler's Jeep brand and look at bringing the iconic brand to India
Old 15th May 2009, 16:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

I dont think Fiat has any plans to get rid of the Jeep brand. Firstly Fiat has very little or no presence in the SUV segment and also the Jeep is perhaps the strongest brand in the Chrysler portfolio.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:12   #93
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Boss, whoever you may be and wherever you may be based, there is really no reason to sound so "patronizing" about India and Indians.
I for one, do not agree with all your views.

Yes, we may be a "developing country" but that doesn't in any way, make us second best!

I believe, since the "free market" phenomenon is still very new in India, we will take a bit of time maybe, but will be world beaters within the next 7-10 year time frame in many more spheres than IT/ IT-es alone. You can yourself see the way that Mahindra/ Tata etc are building the foundations for long term greatness.

Therefore, kindly stop being patronizing in your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Infosys, TCS have something that gives them competitive advantage against the likes of IBM that lets them take market share.

What competitive advantage does Mahindra have? How many people will buy a new Scorpio for $15,000 if they can buy a 1 year old CR-V or for the same price with remaining factory warranty? Just what is the Scorpio's value proposition?

Mahindra may calculate that they can sell 10,000 units of the scorpio per year and they may be happy with that, but my contention is that they shouldn't because their vehicle will establish their brand in a way that will take 20+ years to overcome.

If they just want to make money and don't have a long term vision, then fine, let them sell the Scorpio, take whatever profits they make and not give a damn about the scorn and ridicule they will earn for themselves and for India.

I think they should give a damn and so should we.

As far as infosys and TCS competing with IBM, well, lets be clear. the reason India is doing so well in IT is because a group of reasonably intelligent, english speaking educated people with computers on their desks can do IBM's job with reasonable competence and at a better price due to India's low cost environment.

But where is India's Intel? Where is India's Boeing? Where is India's Pratt & Whitney? Where is India's Sony?

Just because Indian IT companies can successfully compete with the IBMs of the world doesn't mean that the rules are the same in other games.

To want to compete in the developed world's auto market is a laudable ambition. But we are not talking about products and services that work in obscurity behind the scenes at corporations.

We are talking about products that are the most amount of money that consumers spend on anything excluding their house. And if you want them to buy your product, you don't submit proposals with pricing and service quality levels. You compete in the showrooms and in the court of public opinion.

Companies outscource their call centers to India because they talk about price and SLAs. THe people who actually deal with call centers hate being routed to Indian call centers. But they don't have a choice because they don't decide who answers the phone. Similarly, my employers customers have no say whether it contracts Wipro and infosys. But cars are different. They decide what car they buy and what they get for their money.

They may buy enough Scorpios for Mahindra to make a profit, but I just dread the scorn that will spread about India and Indians because of the Scorpio.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th May 2009 at 17:14.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:35   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I dont think Fiat has any plans to get rid of the Jeep brand. Firstly Fiat has very little or no presence in the SUV segment and also the Jeep is perhaps the strongest brand in the Chrysler portfolio.
If the Fiat-Chrysler deal goes through, even better. Fiat can then look at the Jeep for India as well..here it will be FIAT India + TATA i know i know..i'm a wishful optimist dreaming on and on....
Old 15th May 2009, 21:25   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Boss, whoever you may be and wherever you may be based, there is really no reason to sound so "patronizing" about India and Indians.
I for one, do not agree with all your views.

Yes, we may be a "developing country" but that doesn't in any way, make us second best!

I believe, since the "free market" phenomenon is still very new in India, we will take a bit of time maybe, but will be world beaters within the next 7-10 year time frame in many more spheres than IT/ IT-es alone. You can yourself see the way that Mahindra/ Tata etc are building the foundations for long term greatness.

Therefore, kindly stop being patronizing in your posts.
This is what I am talking about. Just go and conquer mahindra!

As it happens for every big company while they struggle with sluggish sales, bad management, etc. there comes a small unknown competitor who slowly but surely gains the market share.

Nevertheless, the challenge is huge and is proportionate to the opportunity. Good luck to mahindra.
Old 14th July 2009, 23:18   #96
BHPian

First Indian vehicle in U.S.: A pickup coming this year

The first vehicle produced in India for sale in the United States is due late this year.

The diesel-powered pickup is from Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., of Mumbai. The name of the pickup has not been released. Global Vehicles U.S.A. Inc., of suburban Atlanta, is the truck's independent distributor. Global Vehicles is setting up a network of about 330 U.S. dealers.

The specific sales date is undetermined. The EPA and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration must issue approvals, which are expected in late summer or early fall.

Sales volume is expected to be small this year, with only selected markets receiving the pickup. The major rollout is scheduled for next year, with Global aiming for 50,000 pickup sales annually.

An SUV will debut in 18 months at the earliest. Other unnamed models are at least four years away.

Separately, in May, Indian billionaire Ratan Tata announced that his no-frills Tata Nano sedan will be sold here in about two years. No further details were given. Tata is CEO of Tata Motors Ltd., a family business. The Nano sells in India for the equivalent of $2,500.

These are the Mahindra vehicles that will be sold in the United States for the 2010 through 2012 model years.

India's Mahindra & Mahindra will enter the U.S. market this year with a diesel pickup.
(Credit: Automotive News)

Pickup: Mahindra's U.S. model is based on the diesel pickup it sells in India. The model has been re-engineered for U.S. regulations and consumer tastes. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, as are antilock brakes, stability control, air conditioning, and power door locks.

The pickup will be offered with one engine: a 140-hp, 2.2-liter, common-rail, turbocharged, diesel four-cylinder that produces 236 pound-feet of torque. The diesel system is designed by Bosch; the engine was developed by Mahindra.

The base pickup has two doors, two-wheel drive, and a sticker price between $22,000 and $25,000.

The top-of-the-line four-door model with four-wheel drive and leather seats will be priced between $24,000 and $27,000. The pickup is a little larger than the Ford Ranger.

SUV: The SUV will be a U.S. version of the Mahindra Scorpio. Timing for U.S. sales is fluid; it will arrive either in late 2010 or sometime in 2011. A seven-passenger model with a third-row seat for children is under consideration.

The SUV is based on the pickup platform and will share the diesel engine.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:28   #97
Muzungu

Made in India, drive in America

It may be a small truck on US roads, but will mark a giant leap for India’s industry.

A compact diesel pick-up truck made by Mahindra & Mahindra is set to hit the world’s most challenging automobile market by the end of this year.
The truck, fashioned after Mahindra-made sports utility vehicle Scorpio, is due in America by December.

The truck doesn’t yet have a name, but is likely to be called TR20 and TR40. The truck is currently sold in markets including Europe, Africa and South America and its competitors include Japan’s Toyota.

“We expect to capture 5-7 per cent of the market in its first year of full production,” said Pawan Goenka, president of Mahindra’s auto and farm-equipment operations. “The model has been extensively road-tested according to US regulations.”

Mahindra may also introduce in the US a sport-utility version of Mahindra’s current Scorpio model in December 2011.

Made in India, drive in America- Hindustan Times

Old 20th May 2010, 12:28   #98
BHPian

This is awesome news. I hope this exposure to European and American market will enable Mahindra to design and build better cars. I hope they incorporate the improvements made to the Scorpio chassis and engine in the domestic market also. Is there a pic available of the truck?
Old 20th May 2010, 12:38   #99
Senior - BHPian

Read the same in the morning, & is just of a confirmation of Mahindra's American dream.
What is the difference between TR20& TR40?
Old 20th May 2010, 13:10   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
This is awesome news. I hope this exposure to European and American market will enable Mahindra to design and build better cars. I hope they incorporate the improvements made to the Scorpio chassis and engine in the domestic market also. Is there a pic available of the truck?
Thats a wishful thinking. Mahindra has been selling scorpio as Goa in Europe and ZA for past few years.

Only selling factor there is the price point.

Lets hope this time it does improve.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Most probably the major difference would the engines and capabilities of towing. It could come in 2.2 CRDe and 4.0 CRDe engines with more torque and power to tow. Just a guess. Could be wrong too.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:42   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Most probably the major difference would the engines and capabilities of towing. It could come in 2.2 CRDe and 4.0 CRDe engines with more torque and power to tow. Just a guess. Could be wrong too.
Only the 2.2L CRDe will be used.TR20 and TR40 maybe used to denote single cab and crew cab versions respectively.Scorpio to be available in the US from late 2010. More details cab be found on the Mahindra US site.

Mahindra Clean Diesel Pickup Trucks and SUVs
Old 20th May 2010, 13:42   #103
Senior - BHPian

Off topic ...but i did see an Indica ,Indica Marina,Tata 207 and a M800 here in Istanbul!!
Old 21st May 2010, 12:34   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Only the 2.2L CRDe will be used.TR20 and TR40 maybe used to denote single cab and crew cab versions respectively.Scorpio to be available in the US from late 2010. More details cab be found on the Mahindra US site.

Mahindra Clean Diesel Pickup Trucks and SUVs
it will be the 2.2 MHawk engine only. I expect the power to be on the higher side in TR40 (~140 bhp) as compared to TR20 (~120 BHP).

But, they are claiming these to be the most fuel efficient compact truck in US. Please refer this link (OD magazine):
M&M to launch pick-up trucks in US by Dec

Good Luck Mahindra
Old 21st May 2010, 17:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
The first vehicle produced in India for sale in the United States is due late this year.
They have missed the promised launch date 4 times already. Dealers have written checks and getting frustrated.

Most Viewed