Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 11:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

I was expecting this long time back. How long would you expect a distributor with all infrastructure in place wait patiently? There has been umpteen delays by Mahindra in getting it's vehicle ready for the US market.

I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with the vehicle itself and everything is sorted out soon. Very sad to know that our very own Mahindra is having a tough time there.
Old 21st August 2010, 04:21   #122
BHPian

Mahindra has been approved by US EPA

Quote:
Auto major Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) on Friday said it has received environmental clearance from the US authorities for its diesel pick-up trucks, a step which could bring it closer to launching the vehicle there.

Currently locked in a lawsuit with its US dealer, Global Vehicles, over the delay in launching the vehicle, M&M said it is the first Indian automobile manufacturer to receive a Light Duty Diesel Federal Tier-2 BIN-5 & OBD II Compliance Certificate, which was granted by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of the USA on August 17, 2010.

"With this certification, Mahindra has joined a select group of global automobile manufacturers who have received this certification for a diesel-powered light duty vehicle (LDVs)," the company said in a statement.

The company had planned to launch its diesel pick-up in the US by the end of 2009, but has missed two deadlines since, due to regulatory issues. It has now set 2010-end as the possible time for launching the vehicle in the US.

As a result, its exclusive American distributor – Global Vehicles (GV) -- slapped a lawsuit against the company in June, citing inordinate delays in the launch of the pick-up.

However, terming GV's allegations as without merit, M&M countered the case with a dismiss motion in a US court.

Atlanta-based distributor GV, in the lawsuit filed before an Atlanta District Court, alleged there was an inordinate delay in the launch of the truck, which is based on the platform of M&M's sports utility vehicle, Scorpio. The two firms had entered into an agreement on September 28, 2006.

GV claims to have made an overall investment of $103.5 million (about Rs. 480 crore) along with franchisees towards the launch of the pick-up truck.
Source is NDTV - M&M gets US environmental clearance for pick-up truck - NDTV Profit
Old 21st August 2010, 09:15   #123
BHPian

Yes, i came across the same thing on twitter yesterday. Anand Mahindra was quite ecstatic about getting that Tier 2 Bin 5 clearance. Apparently it is a fairly tough certification to crack.
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:58   #124
BHPian

Mahindra finally got approval to sell Pickups in USA

Check this out -> Mahindra finally got approval from EPA to sell their diesel pick ups in USA.

Mahindra diesel pickups finally get EPA certification — Autoblog
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:05   #125
BHPian

Good going for M&M. Some of the reader comments are interesting. It's heartening to see a true-blue Indian auto competing with the quintessential American pick-up.
Old 27th August 2010, 22:19   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I don't think that Mahindra's terms of Agreement with Global Vehicles is that porous that they can sue Mahindra for launch delays. IMO GV is suing mahindra to protect itself from the sub-dealers who have agreements with GV.
You are right in what you said and this link proves that.

Mahindra says it has dropped Global Vehicles as U.S. importer

Don't know what the confusion is all about and when will mahindra finally launch the pickup in US.
Old 28th August 2010, 00:18   #127
Senior - BHPian

Good going for Mahindra. U.S. market seriously lacks a small diesel pik-up.

But seriously guys, are they planning to launch the pik-up with the same Scorpio face? Oh no! The Scorpio looks so old in India now. Its like a 7-8 year old design with minor cosmetic changes. Couldn't they have designed a better one? People would have bought it for the looks. Mahindra would have been called that cool-looking-small-diesel-SUV-makers-from-India in the U.S. A hugely missed opportunity for Mahindra.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:15   #128
BHPian

First of all, we must understand that the Indian automotive market and US market are totally different. What works in India may or may not have any relavance in the USA.

Mahindra is a strong brand name and has excellent products relative to the Indian market. However, let me be very clear: Mahindra is unknown in the US, and the quality level that exist in India with M&M products = garbage in the US.

Sorry, but M&M will not make inroads into the US market, due to substandard quality (per US standards). M&M will fail in the US.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:51   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Sorry, but M&M will not make inroads into the US market, due to substandard quality (per US standards). M&M will fail in the US.
Yes they might, even some "perceptions" are going to be formed. But this is the way to move forward. Atleast Mahindra is not scared of initial failure.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:07   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
However, let me be very clear: Mahindra is unknown in the US, and the quality level that exist in India with M&M products = garbage in the US.
correction. the name Mahindra is popular. especially in the southern states of US coz of their tractors. I have actually seen mahindra Tractors out in the farms in the country side. as for their car's, well, there I'll have to admit.
I personally feel the scorpio should not be sold here (in the US) the way it looks. it looks over design where simple lines could've made it look more handsome.
when it does get sold, it'll have to compete in the ford escape segment coz that is where it can slot in.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:26   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
You are right in what you said and this link proves that.

Mahindra says it has dropped Global Vehicles as U.S. importer

Don't know what the confusion is all about and when will mahindra finally launch the pickup in US.
Well, ofcourse. They sure know the meaning of terse

Take a lok at their official announcement at - Mahindra News & Events - press releases, articles and new product announcements

After all this, I do hope they are able to launch the pick ups in USA and elsewhere. It is sad that the first indian automaker to qualify for selling automobiles in USA should have to undergo legal troubles selling them. It will be sad if they end up not as the first indian automaker to sell automobiles in usa though they qualified first :(
Old 29th August 2010, 09:18   #132
BHPian

I don't understand why fellow members are talking about Mahindra's quality. Understood that Scorpio's quality is few years behind the international competitors, but Mahindra is very well known with farmers in USA and has created reputation of reliable product. At the same time, USA does not have any diesel pickup in small light truck category, which will be Mahindra's USP. And going back to 80's, Hyundai and up to certain extent Toyota did the same thing: Entered into US market with substandard product (at that time) with no reputation as a car maker but they evolved themselves into reputed one now. Mahindra is following similar strategy. IMO, it will not be a huge success but it will give Mahindra an exposure to developed market.
Old 29th August 2010, 13:45   #133
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing to be gained by talking negatively about Mahindra's foray in the US. Like some members have mentioned, this is the only way to make a mark in the international market. True, Mahindra's current products are not world class, but neither were the Kia's, the Hyundai's (recent examples). Until very recently, driving Kia's was as bad as getting kicked in the shins.

I wish Mahindra well in its endevour and I'm cautiously optimistic that if they can get the reliability right, they do stand a chance.
Old 31st August 2010, 20:53   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
There is nothing to be gained by talking negatively about Mahindra's foray in the US. Like some members have mentioned, this is the only way to make a mark in the international market. True, Mahindra's current products are not world class, but neither were the Kia's, the Hyundai's (recent examples). Until very recently, driving Kia's was as bad as getting kicked in the shins.

I wish Mahindra well in its endevour and I'm cautiously optimistic that if they can get the reliability right, they do stand a chance.
+1 to that. Any automaker in the world follows the same path. That's why they say rome is not built in a day.All the best to mahindra. Having said that I still hate to see the launch delayed.
Old 31st August 2010, 21:16   #135
Senior - BHPian

I think the Scorpio pick up will become successful as a simple & cheap alternative to its rivals. But I do not think the SUV guise would be a good idea, its best to wait for the global SUV to come out.

Most Viewed